Fungal meningitis is a rare disease that is not contagious. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, and vomiting. Treatment involves administering high doses of antifungal medications. Read more: Fungal Meningitis Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Meningitis is inflammation of the membranes that cover the spinal cord and brain. Symptoms include fever, headache, and a stiff...
Is Meningitis Contagious?
Meningitis, inflammation of the meninges, symptoms and signs include neck stiffness, headache, and fever. There are five types of...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
Histoplasmosis (Cave Disease)
Histoplasmosis (cave disease) is a disease caused by a fungus called Histoplasma capsulatum. The symptoms are similar to those of...
Fungal arthritis is inflammation of a joint by a fungus that has invaded the body and is growing in the normally sterile joint....
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Cryptococcosis is an infection caused by the Cryptococcus fungus. Cryptococcus is spread through inhalation of airborne fungi....
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Deadly Meningitis B Targets College Students
- Pharmacist Faces Trial Over Deadly U.S. Meningitis Outbreak
- Roundup May Have to Carry Cancer Warning in California
- Compounding Pharmacy Co-Founder to Be Sentenced for Deadly Meningitis Outbreak
- Compounding Center Co-Founder Not Guilty of Murder in Deadly Meningitis Outbreak
- First Criminal Trial in Meningitis Outbreak Caused by Tainted Steroids
- Meningitis Outbreaks: FAQ
- Infections From Tainted Steroids Ranged in Severity: Update
- MRIs Spot 'Hidden' Fungal Infections From Tainted Steroid Shots
- Steroid Injections for Back Pain Linked to Spinal Fracture Risk
- Man Relapsed After Treatment for Meningitis Tied to Tainted Injections
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- Combo Therapy Helps Knock Out Fungal Meningitis
- Survival of 'Obamacare' Tops List of Biggest Health News in 2012
- Fungal Meningitis Patients: A Long Road to Recovery
- Steroid Injections for Back Pain May Lower Bone Mass
- Meningitis/Steroid Toll Now 34 Dead
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 33 Dead, 480 Sickened, CDC Says
- Compounding Pharmacists Oppose Greater U.S. Oversight
- Owner of Meningitis-Linked Pharmacy Declines to Testify Before Congress
- Congress to Open Hearings Into Steroid/Meningitis Outbreak
- Steroid Shots for Sciatica: Benefits Only Brief, Analysis Finds
- Steroid-Meningitis Toll Now 32 Dead, 438 Sickened, CDC Says
- Steroid-Meningitis Toll Now 31 Dead, 424 Sickened, CDC Says
- Report Details Start of Steroid Meningitis Outbreak
- Spine Infections Hit Fungal Meningitis Survivors
- FDA: More Tainted Products at Firm Tied to Meningitis Outbreak
- More Drug Shortages in Fungal Meningitis Aftermath
- Meningitis-Linked Infections Now Number 386, CDC Says
- FDA: 2 More NECC Drugs Contaminated
- 2nd Pharmacy Recalls Thousands of Drugs
- Fungal Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 28 Dead, 363 Sickened
- FDA Finds Mold, Germs at Compounding Pharmacy
- Cases Linked to Fungal Meningitis Now Number 328
- Back Pain? Steroid Shots May Raise Fracture Risk
- Records Show Problems at Steroid Pharmacy as Far Back as '06
- Mass. Launches Criminal Probe of Firm Linked to Meningitis Outbreak: Report
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 23 Dead, 297 Sickened: CDC
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 23 Dead, 284 Sickened: CDC
- Latest Meningitis Outbreak Toll: 20 Deaths and 257 Infections, CDC Says
- FDA Agents Visit Mass. Company Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Tainted Steroid Injections May Affect Those Treated for Joint Pain
- New Warnings in Fungal Meningitis Outbreak
- Fungal Meningitis Q&A
- Meningitis Crisis Expands; More Infections, Deaths
- What Are Compounding Pharmacies?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter