Patient Comments: Fundoplication - Effectiveness

Did fundoplication successfully treat your GERD? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Michael Thomey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I had the fundoplication surgery done for GERD on February 1995. I am back on Zantac and Prilosec every day. You ask if I would have it done again. You judge, I crawled around my bedroom 5 nights a week trying to catch my breath. Reason, stomach acid in my lungs. So yes, I would. I am thankful for that surgery. I suffered for 20 years. Doctors found blisters in my esophagus from the acid. Took me several doctors, till one finally told me I could still have reflux. As high as 90 percent failure rate after 5 years.

Comment from: Raydar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had my Nissen fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair about 2 months ago. It took several years of medication for GERD and going from doctor to doctor before the surgery was recommended. Both of those procedures changed my life! I can eat, drink, and actually lie flat on my back with no pain. I am still unable to eat most meats and am having to remember to take small bites, eat slowly, and chew everything completely. I'm hoping things never go back to the way they were before surgery!

Comment from: Shazza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

My fundoplication operation for GERD was end of 11/17. I have high praises for the surgical team as the operation was a complete success, and I have not taken proton pump inhibitors since. I look and feel masses better. I still have a restricted diet (no bread, steak, chicken) but that's fine, I've lost the weight I gained being so ill, through exhaustion. I sleep much better, and the only pain I get is when I forget to chew properly; which leads to regurgitation to shift the food from upper tract. You'll need sickness pills as you cannot vomit. Successful!

Comment from: Suekia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I am 5 days post operation for paraesophageal hernia (my entire stomach was resting on my diaphragm). I feel like a new person. No more acid reflux, no more difficulty breathing. I had my Nissen fundoplication done on 7/11/18, today 7/16/18, I have minimal pain, no acid reflux, able to lie flat, and breathing normal. I am eating blended mostly. I incorporate my family meal into mine and I blend it. If I have to learn a new way of eating, so be it. I love that I don't have those awful GERD symptoms. I am happy so far.

Comment from: Vicki, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had fundoplication a year ago for my GERD. At first it was great, fixed the hiatal hernia also, but now certain foods (chicken) will not go down and I end up being in severe pain and throwing up. Heartburn is back so will be calling the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: Grateful , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

I had a fundoplication for GERD 23 years ago. I had severe acid reflux, was in the emergency room 2 or 3 times a week, and had projectile vomiting of pure stomach acid 2 or 3 times a week. I was losing my voice for 6 to 10 days at a time after vomiting stomach acid. After the surgery, at first I could only eat small amounts of food, and it was eggs, Jell-O, pudding, things that would slide down easily. I avoided bread, meats, cakes, and dry food. It took about 6 months before I could eat a whole hamburger. I lost a lot of weight, which I needed to do. I cannot burp, I cannot vomit, and if I overeat I blow up like a balloon for several hours and this is very painful. But I do not have gastric reflux any more. The side effects of the surgery are nothing compared to the pain and discomfort of gastric reflux. My doctors are knowing, and have given my injectable Compazine for nausea and vomiting. I have had to use it maybe three times in 23 years. I have a standing order at the local pharmacy so I do not have to waste money buying it and then throwing it away because it expires. I recommend this surgery to anyone suffering from gastric reflux. I live a normal life, eat what I want, my only restriction is I cannot overeat, when I feel full, I push the plate away. Good luck.

Comment from: Gabby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

The fundoplication procedure fixed the GERD problem but I've been so sick since I had it done a year ago, it was not worth it for me. The doctor keeps telling me everything is fine but I say no, it's not.

Comment from: Holly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am going on my 3rd week after the fundoplication surgery for GERD and still can eat only a few teaspoons every 3 hours. I am not sure this is normal. I feel so hungry but it hurts if I eat more than that.

Comment from: JoJo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had fundoplication surgery almost 10 years ago (2008). This was after years of trying other methods to solve my GERD. I needed my esophagus stretched 3 times because the scar tissue and damage from the acid made it so I could not swallow food properly. Even prescription Nexium was not effective. My problem was not pain (probably because of the excessive scar tissue). Since the surgery, I have not had any difficulty swallowing and I take no medication. I have not been able to vomit. I've only been sick enough to need it once and I will admit it was uncomfortable but I don't know if being able to vomit would have been better. I do have to be careful not to overeat or I will pay with serious discomfort from that overfull, nauseous feeling. That seems a small price to pay and a side benefit is maintaining a proper weight.

Comment from: RJP, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I had the fundoplication surgery 3 years ago for GERD and I remember being so apprehensive after reading all the mainly negative reviews, but I went ahead and had it done. Result, best decision I've ever made. I had a small amount of pain for a few days but nothing major. The acid reflux I endured for 30 years was far more painful. I ate soft foods for a week, then progressed back to normal food in another 10 days or so. And that's when a whole new world opened up. I could eat all those foods that my hiatal hernia and partially open lower esophageal sphincter muscle would never have let me eat without payback. So now, 3 years after the surgery, the last time I had reflux was the day before the surgery. I've never had it since. Only lasting side effect is occasional belching or flatulence.

Comment from: Patient, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I had the fundoplication surgery done to treat my GERD, in the Navy in 1992. Although I don't experience the heartburn anymore, I've had chronic diarrhea, back spasms, and cannot vomit. I've been to several physicians and none can explain the problems. After all of these years I'm not sure if it was worth it. I finally in the last month found that baclofen when taken with Motrin and gabapentin have somewhat controlled the diarrhea.

Comment from: SMH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

My sister and I both have severe GERD. My sister elected to have the fundoplication surgery, I did not. She has had complications from the beginning, (swallowing difficulties, gas build up, unable to burp or vomit, and esophageal spasms) she has been to specialists all over the country with no real solutions. The worst problem is the damage to her vagus nerve. Her GERD returned but now she is unable to keep stomach contents from entering her trachea. Both her lungs are compromised. I am thankful I didn't have that surgery.

Comment from: 'a', 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I had fundoplication surgery for GERD 6 years ago after having horrible heartburn and being on acid reflux medications for many years. Although I have never had acid reflux since the surgery, my stomach has never been the same. Right off the bat my stomach was making weird sounds. My stomach also hurt often. Not in a painful way, just a way I never experienced before the surgery. Also, major problem for me was that I could no longer vomit. When feeling sick I could not bring up anything from my stomach, only dry heaves which hurt. The gastroenterologist and surgeon are insisting everything is fine, but it is not. Ask a lot of questions before opting to have surgery.

Comment from: sylvia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had my fundoplication done for my GERD in the 1980s. I could not keep anything down for 8 months, and I went down to 103 pounds at 5 feet 7 inches, was almost dead. The surgery saved my life but did not make it better. Whatever I eat stays down even if it makes me sick, but dry heaves are so hard to go through. Even after all these years the gas build up is so bad.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 09

Fundoplication for GERD changed my life for the better. I had a fabulous doctor, and I seem to have avoided Barret's syndrome, not to mention years of suffering. I had it seven years ago, and things are still fine with it.

Comment from: Poppy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had fundoplication procedure done 9 years ago after years and years of GERD and painful and frequent burping. Turns out I had a large hiatal hernia, probably caused from having five ten pound babies (yep). I feel better and sleep better, but the surgeon told me it would make me stop burping. And what I've read on line says after the Nissan surgery, people can't burp. Well, I still burp more than anyone I know and it's very disappointing. Especially in my car, which I am guess is from position and movement. I'd like to know if other people who had this surgery are still burping.

Comment from: yingtong, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My son has cerebral palsy and suffered for many years with gastric reflux. He is unable to speak and is 32. He had become miserable and withdrawn. When the doctor suggested the fundoplication I was reluctant at first but was anxious to find relief for him so agreed to the operation. It was done by keyhole surgery. He only needed a couple of nights in hospital and he didn't have a lot of pain after. He also healed quickly. It has really improved his quality of life. He no longer has the constant pain and can lie flat now with no problems. Fundoplication has worked well for him.

Comment from: Em, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had fundoplication done for and felt wonderful. It was such a big difference. But now I am having GERD trouble again. This was 2 years ago. I am going to return to my surgeon.

Comment from: Luis R, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

The fundoplication did work wonderful for my GERD in the beginning, but after 6 or 7 years I am suffering from esophageal spasms and pain. I keep getting endoscopies done and all doctors say you are fine, keep taking Prilosec or sucralfate. In the meantime, day by day it is getting worse, my health quality is decreasing, my stomach is in pain and has a burning feeling, my mouth gets dry, and I get all type of pains in my upper chest, right, left, everywhere. I used to be a runner for over 40 years, did not smoke, or drink alcohol, I was still jogging until a year ago in 2013. So what is going on with the medicine now days!

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had fundoplication to treat my GERD on August 24, 2016. I am having so much problem. I can hardly eat anything, I get sick.

Comment from: maria b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a fundoplication surgery for GERD on 2012. I feel better although I need to take omeprazole daily. I developed 4 ulcers after a year of being operated. Overall I am way better. I have to adapt to new bite size though.

Comment from: Mfe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

Fundoplication works but if you have a manual job you can wreck it. I have had two which have loosened from manual work as a chef. I have another one due on 26th may. They lasted 12 - 15 years, an ordeal to go through but better than cancer from the acid.

Comment from: Harriet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Loose wrap that occurred during fundoplication surgery has caused lots of stomach problems, it was not secured properly.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter