Patient Comments: Fundoplication - Effectiveness

Did fundoplication successfully treat your GERD? Please share your experience.

Comment from: RJP, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I had the fundoplication surgery 3 years ago for GERD and I remember being so apprehensive after reading all the mainly negative reviews, but I went ahead and had it done. Result, best decision I've ever made. I had a small amount of pain for a few days but nothing major. The acid reflux I endured for 30 years was far more painful. I ate soft foods for a week, then progressed back to normal food in another 10 days or so. And that's when a whole new world opened up. I could eat all those foods that my hiatal hernia and partially open lower esophageal sphincter muscle would never have let me eat without payback. So now, 3 years after the surgery, the last time I had reflux was the day before the surgery. I've never had it since. Only lasting side effect is occasional belching or flatulence.

Comment from: Patient, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I had the fundoplication surgery done to treat my GERD, in the Navy in 1992. Although I don't experience the heartburn anymore, I've had chronic diarrhea, back spasms, and cannot vomit. I've been to several physicians and none can explain the problems. After all of these years I'm not sure if it was worth it. I finally in the last month found that baclofen when taken with Motrin and gabapentin have somewhat controlled the diarrhea.

Comment from: SMH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

My sister and I both have severe GERD. My sister elected to have the fundoplication surgery, I did not. She has had complications from the beginning, (swallowing difficulties, gas build up, unable to burp or vomit, and esophageal spasms) she has been to specialists all over the country with no real solutions. The worst problem is the damage to her vagus nerve. Her GERD returned but now she is unable to keep stomach contents from entering her trachea. Both her lungs are compromised. I am thankful I didn't have that surgery.

Comment from: 'a', 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I had fundoplication surgery for GERD 6 years ago after having horrible heartburn and being on acid reflux medications for many years. Although I have never had acid reflux since the surgery, my stomach has never been the same. Right off the bat my stomach was making weird sounds. My stomach also hurt often. Not in a painful way, just a way I never experienced before the surgery. Also, major problem for me was that I could no longer vomit. When feeling sick I could not bring up anything from my stomach, only dry heaves which hurt. The gastroenterologist and surgeon are insisting everything is fine, but it is not. Ask a lot of questions before opting to have surgery.

Comment from: sylvia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had my fundoplication done for my GERD in the 1980s. I could not keep anything down for 8 months, and I went down to 103 pounds at 5 feet 7 inches, was almost dead. The surgery saved my life but did not make it better. Whatever I eat stays down even if it makes me sick, but dry heaves are so hard to go through. Even after all these years the gas build up is so bad.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had fundoplication to treat my GERD on August 24, 2016. I am having so much problem. I can hardly eat anything, I get sick.