Patient Comments: Frozen Shoulder - Cause

What was the cause of your frozen shoulder? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Smurfette , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I am a 46 year old. About two months ago I was working and I heard a loud crunching noise, never thought anything of it, just thought I had pulled a muscle, due to the type of work I do. I am a senior care giver, so do a lot of moving and handling. I finally went to the doctors and found that I have a frozen shoulder. I am now waiting to have physiotherapy on my shoulder, but I also have tendonitis in my left heel too, so got to have physiotherapy on that too. I am a positive person and always will be too.

Comment from: Sheila, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I fell on my shoulder and developed a frozen shoulder. The secret is to push through the pain. I'm 61 and it is the worst pain I've ever had. But I kept forcing my arm up higher and higher. Getting the sedation is a must but keep trying. It will work eventually.

Comment from: Wanda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I was weeding my garden and fell backwards. I caught myself with my right arm. Since then I have had progressive pain down my upper arm and shoulder. I went to physical therapy for the frozen shoulder with, in my view, a sympathetic physical therapist. The pain became progressively worse, especially after therapy. He suggested I see an orthopedist for a cortisone injection. My appointment is next week.

Comment from: poppy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I am 47, and am in my perimenopausal stage of my life. I am 3 or 4 years into it. I am still having the odd random period, but they are getting less and less. I have coped with night sweats since the start. The rest of the symptoms I am experiencing are paranoia, anxiety, and mood swings. I am now thinking of taking doctor's advice as these symptoms are effecting every aspect of my life, friends, job, family, decision making and my personality is changing. This is scary! I am a naturally bubble happy person, but I am feeling down and paranoid beyond rationality. I am not liking any of this and have absolutely no control over my mind, feelings and reality.

Comment from: LoriLee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I was diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis yesterday. It's been hurting since 7 months. Left arm slowly froze to my side. Doctor is not sure of cause. I was moving cinder blocks and was tired but not hurt. I also have heart condition but haven't been to the heart doctor in some time. I have heart arrhythmia so not sure it wasn't heart related. I am starting physical therapy tomorrow, don't want this pain forever.

Comment from: okhons, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 28

I had frozen shoulder in both left and right. Three years apart. The pain is remarkable. Both times my insurance paid for therapy. From onset to not feeling pain was about 2 1/2 years. I did have a cortisone shot in the second shoulder and it did help move the condition along, and I recovered quicker. They say you can't get it again. But here it is almost 10 years later and I feel a similar pain when I move my arm a certain way. It's not in the exact same place (lower and deeper), but it still hurts. I wonder what it might be.

Comment from: Feeling hopeless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I'm going on 7 months now from what my orthopedic doctor and physiotherapist (PT) told me, was a frozen shoulder along with a small tear. I have had 2 Cortizone shots, done PT, acupuncture and now I am getting deep tissue massage (which treatments are leaving me penniless). I am starting to feel hopeless. I am very active and now can't do much of anything. I feel myself getting depressed and very grumpy. I am feeling hopeless.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I suffered from a frozen shoulder after injecting insulin into the top of my shoulder as advised by my doctor. I had the frozen shoulder for 2 years and my doctor gave me injections in the shoulder blade several time over several months but they never worked. By luck I was working at a lady's house and it turned out she was a Bowen therapist. She had a look at my shoulder when I was there and 6 visits later I have no pain and 90 percent movement back in my shoulder and have been ok since. Give Bowen a go, it works.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I suffered from a frozen shoulder after injecting insulin into the top of my shoulder as advised by my doctor. I had the frozen shoulder for 2 years and my doctor gave me injections in the shoulder blade several time over several months but it never worked. By luck I was working at a lady's house and it turned out she was a Bowen therapist she had a look at my shoulder when I was there and 6 visits later I have no pain and 90 percent movement back in my shoulder and have been ok since. Give Bowen a go, it works.

Comment from: 234bye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had a frozen shoulder twice. I have read that it can be caused by a significant amount of stress, and feeling burdened. The first time I had it I went to a chiropractor/massage therapist/energy worker. He worked on my shoulder and it got better right away. He asked if I'd been flying on a plane. I said, yes, and he said that often will bring it on. Then I had to fly home, and, sure enough, I got it again. This time I went to a wonderful massage therapist who specialized in shoulder massage healing, and after one treatment it went away. I now have another, brought on by a tremendous amount of stress. This time I am also using frankincense oil on it. I am an energy worker this time, so now I am also imagining a bright golden/white light all around my shoulder and down my arm. If it's not better soon I will go back to the wonderful massage therapist who helped me the last time.

Comment from: nannyjay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had the flu jab in November 2013 and since then I have had a pain in shoulder. I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder in May and I am now waiting to have the steroid injection which I hope takes away the pain as I have never known pain like it. I am undecided whether to have the flu jab again as I have never had problems before.

Comment from: Carlos, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I am suffering from frozen shoulder and I can directly attribute it to receiving a tetanus shot back in October. The tetanus shot typically causes some minor localized pain but this was different. The pain increased by the week as my range of motion (ROM) slowly decreased. I now have sharp jabbing pains in my arm and shoulder each morning as I get out of bed. Throughout the day I will feel stabbing pains when I use my left arm. Some of these pains will take my breath away. I do not have any health insurance so surgery is not an option for me right now.

Comment from: kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I was 49 when I got my first frozen shoulder. I had always been physically fit and healthy and had just started my own decorating business. I was applying a decorative plaster to a client's kitchen walls. I remember thinking how proud I was of myself for doing it so quickly and getting a nice workout at the same time. The plaster had to be scraped using a lot of pressure and I spent about 8 hours at it. Within days my super-woman shoulder wasn't feeling so super any longer and eventually, I learned I had frozen shoulder. It took a year to get better with about 85-90% of prior range of movement. I did some physiotherapy but it was too expensive so continued exercises at home but never religiously. Now, 9 years later, I have it again on the same shoulder. I had been getting some boxes down off garage shelves and doing overhead lifting for a few days. I'm into my 6th month and it feels more painful than the first one, but with no insurance, I will have to rely on exercises I did the first time and wait for it to heal on its own. Everything is difficult, sleeping, washing my hair, getting dressed, putting my seatbelt on, and especially walking my dog.

Comment from: tbone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was glad to see a post about the flu vaccine causing frozen shoulder. My pain started immediately during the shot and I came down with frozen shoulder. I was told the cause was hypothyroid, which is known to cause this, but I knew it was the shot because the pain was immediate.

Comment from: mamzo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I am HIV positive and I've been taking treatment more than a year now but I don't see anything, I'm getting worse instead of getting better. My weight is going down and I grow glands between my jaws and neck. I wonder if I'm using the right treatment Atroiza which I get from the clinic every month.

Comment from: Farah Ali, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 30 year old lady. After the birth of my son (10 months back) I felt pain in my shoulder and because I have to carry my baby, the pain got intense. The pain is in the front upper joint in the right shoulder, though now the other shoulder is also affecting. The symptoms are pain, stiffness, and loss of range of motion of the shoulder. The shoulder range of motion is limited when either me or the examiner attempts to move the joint. To add I live in china (basically from Pakistan).

Comment from: Catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Yesterday I had my second shot in my left shoulder and I was told that I have a frozen shoulder. I was told that this shot was going to be different (whatever that means). This is my third shot in 3 months. I also had problems with my right shoulder first and physical therapy made it worse and my left shoulder that hurt very little is now my worse shoulder after physical therapy. My arm feels worse that before the shot and now I have no range and motion. I hope that it will be much better tomorrow. I can't even lift my arm to brush my hair.

Comment from: Tamelah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I am not sure what caused my frozen shoulder. But, I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia at the same time.

Comment from: ANTIFLUSHOT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a flu shot about six years ago, and had a frozen shoulder afterwards for around six months. I had another flu shot a couple of years later and got the same thing - frozen shoulder! I no longer have flu shots.

Comment from: TampaMarty, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have chronic frozen shoulder. After numeous non-surgical treatments (4 cortistone shots, 25+ PT sessions, rest and 2 surgical procedures) my frozen shoulder has not gotten any better. If fact, after both surguries my shoulder became frozen starting in the 5th week. I am on my 3rd doctor to see what can be done.

Comment from: Lady in Pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I, too, had been given a flu shot at my workplace by a male student nurse in training. He injected me too high in my left arm. I am suffering from frozen shoulder diagnosed by my doctor. I am in excruciating pain and only hope I can get well. The flu shot injection was given in October, 2012 and as of June, 2013, I can't sleep at night due to severe pain. I'm living on Aleve and physical therapy in hopes of returning to normal. My out of pocket cost even with health insurance have run into a substantial amount of money and my bills are continuing. Never will I ever get a "free" flu shot at my workplace. I'll go to my licensed doctor. My doctor tells me he sees about two "bad" flu shot cases each year. This is not a joke-it is for real. I hope my experience will help others and caution people to get their flu shot in a medical doctor's office.

Comment from: bkeenan5, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had a full-thickness tear of my supraspinatus tendon due to an auto accident. It was repaired under surgery. I have since had a recurring frozen shoulder. I have had it manipulated and done many blocks of PT. Has anyone else experienced this after rotator cuff repair surgery?

Comment from: a2pete, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 54-year-old male. I got my first-ever flu shot at the end of November of 2012. The injection site was sore the next day, got worse slowly, and increased to limit my range of motion without pain. Now, five months later, I'm doing some PT for "frozen shoulder." It's not helping much, but I never did lose any real strength, just in certain motions. I won't be getting any more flu shots.

Comment from: bingosquealer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I fell after my dog ran into me. I grabbed the fence to avoid falling on my face. By holding the fence all my weight landed on my right shoulder. I developed a full thickness tear in my right rotator cuff as well as frozen shoulder.

Comment from: Mangotra, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 68 years and I weigh about 70 kg. I developed shoulder pain about two months back when I experienced uneasiness during sleep. I also noticed a pain in the mussels of the same arm while twisting my hand to hold or move something. My doctor diagnosed it as frozen shoulder as well as cervical.

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I developed a frozen shoulder several years ago. t came on very slowly and at first I thought it was bursitis. However, it only got worse until I couldn't move it at all. Doc sent me to physical therapy and after 2-3 very painful months of therapy, it returned to normal. Never give up hope.

Comment from: katters, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was injured at work causing my right shoulder to hurt. It took a year to diagnose me with frozen shoulder. I have done years of therapy and cortisone injections. I have been told that my shoulder is permanently frozen. I was only 26 when I was injured. Being that my right arm is my domminant arm and I have maybe 30% mobility in it, it sure has made living my normal life difficult.

Comment from: Lon, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I got a frozen should after getting a flu shot. I didn't know what it was for some time. After about 2 months of pain and limited movement I saw a doctor and then had to go for physical therapy for 3 months. It helped greatly but I will always have some kind of limited movement in my shoulder.

Comment from: Mindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had a fall which caused me to break both elbows. My arms were in a caste and slings for two weeks and then I started physio. Both my arms were painful and moving them was difficult. The doctor told me to start doing strength training with one pound weights. I had pain in both arms and shoulders and then noticed one shoulder was more painful than the other. Eventually, it got so I could not lift my arm or sleep on that side at night. Went to the doctor and found out it was frozen shoulder. I had never heard of it before. It has been one year since my accident and I am still working on strengthening my arms and working on my shoulder.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 29

On Jan.17 2012 I received a hepatitis B shot he to start all my things I had to do tests also for the Kidney Transplant Unit list for a Kidney to live that I could get on the list and doing she I got my first shot was done in my doctor's office by a part time MA filling in for their regular one this MA said she had never given one but other shots she had so believed I was in good hands How wrong it was she injected me on the lower back side of my arm and within a week could not move my arm and my doctor sent me for MRI which showed not much so sent me to a specialist and found that because of the shot it froze my shoulder now after 6months still in pain and with Physical therapy I have limited mobility.

Comment from: No more shots, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a flu shot a month ago. The pain got worse in the arm, and I ended up in the emergency room. The doctor X-rayed my shoulder. He stated I had a frozen shoulder with bursitis. I was fine before the flu shot. I will never take another one. The area that the shot was given in seemed to be too high on the shoulder.

Comment from: Cocoa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 36 year old female that went to my primary care physician for a routine check. She suggested that I get the pneumonia injection, to which I agreed. My right arm/neck has had severe pain and limited mobility since the injection. They gave me an MRI and several X-Rays which concluded that I had a rotator cuff tear and developed a frozen shoulder. I went to physical therapy for months to loosen my arm up. They said that I needed surgery and I agreed. They did not find a rotator cuff tear or any other structural damages. They only found inflammation and had me get one cortisone injection after the surgery. My family life with husband and children has changed and I lost my job of 10 years with the State due to this.

Comment from: AMC718, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was in a car accident nine months ago where the only major injury I sustained was to my left shoulder. After months of physical therapy, two MRIs, two cortisone injections and more Aleve than I care to count, I had the scar tissue removed via arthroscopy. I immediately began to feel the relief and can move my arm and shoulder much better.

Comment from: Sassyaunt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

With all due respect to RDW82, I have experienced a frozen should twice. Each time it was related to weight lifting. It developed slowly but was absolutely related to inflammation from the strength exercises. PT and shot helped the first time, but I also developed osteopenia from the cortisone. This time I will do just the PT.

Comment from: Frozengirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I was just diagnosed today with frozen shoulder due to a flu shot I received 2 1/2 weeks ago that was done very high up on my arm. My arm feels like it is fused to my body. I was put on steroid treatments for 6 days and also told I might need physical therapy after. I just want the pain to go away so I can sleep. I am also out of work because of it.

Comment from: davebwin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

Subacromial bursitis, successfully treated by steroid injection, led to adhesive capsulitis developing in 3-4 weeks.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

It seems both of my shoulders are frozen. Had shots in both, now doing major physical therapy. Been four weeks, have better movement, but still alot of pain.

Comment from: RDW82, 25-34 Male Published: May 17

Frozen should often has an insidious onset and a trauma is not really, and rarely, related to adhesive capsulitis. It is thought to have links with other diseases such as following a heart attack, high stress levels or cervical spine pathologies just to name a few. Although injections may be offered by a GP, often the best results are seen threw physical therapies, treating the surrounding mussels, active trigger points, and time for it to heal itself.

Comment from: in left field, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I don't know what caused my frozen shoulder. I woke up one morning and could not move my arm from the shoulder down. The doctor thought a mini stroke, but nothing showed up. Another doctor told me it was a frozen shoulder. I had no injury or anything on the left side.

Comment from: Amelia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I received a flu shot, and an ache got increasingly worse. Four months later and I have a frozen shoulder.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter