Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your foot pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tracy, 65-74 Female Published: December 15

I had C5, C6 and C7 fused. A week later gout started in my big toe and foot. Horrible pain. I can't take anti-inflammatories because of neck surgery, so doctors are giving me narcotics to relieve pain (doesn't work very well). It is now moving to my ankle. Also, I developed cellulitis, which caused a giant blister on top of my foot, which doctor had to drain. This is the worst pain ever. I'm taking the preventive medication, but it doesn't really do anything either.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had severe pain in my feet. The pain was so bad that upon standing my whole body would shake from pain. I went gluten free (am not celiac). This resolved much of the foot pain. My ANA (anti-nuclear antibody test went to 0) when I went gluten free. I also had a physical therapist make custom orthotics for my flat feet.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 03

I had a head injury in June 2014 and had dizziness/vertigo for 6 months. It went away for 6 month and is now back even worse. I've had ear test, and a CT scan but all is good. In the last week I've had a noise in my right ear that goes to the rhythm of my heart beat. Having vertigo is not a nice feeling, I've had to stop doing a lot of the things I enjoy. I'm a bit over this and would love to know of a cure. Lying down is the worst.

Comment from: clouddancer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

Taking gabapentin helps my foot pain tremendously. I also wear a rubber sole shoe. This seems to give more cushioning.

Comment from: Eric, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

Ten year ago, I was an intense dancer over the weekend, doing about 6 to 8 hours each day. I had soreness under one foot (right foot) that took 3 to 4 days to recover. I saw doctors, had x-rays, and a podiatrist prescribed insert that I wore but the only cure was to reduce my dancing to 3 to 4 hour each Saturday and Sunday. Last November 2013, I realized the soreness wasn"t going away even after 1 week of rest. So I stopped dancing altogether, and saw the doctors who basically did not provide much hope for a cure. I have since been walking about 1 hour a day and doing foot massages and yoga to balance the rest of the body. I am not diabetic, and my urea count was normal but I have had mild high blood pressure under control with medication since 1997. In the past 2 months I had been cutting back on meat, nuts and beans and for precaution, I also cut back on any uric acid producing food to the minimum. I am glad to say the soreness in my feet is almost 100% gone, although I have not gone back to dancing yet. Yes, I do my daily morning (20 minutes and afternoon (60 minutes) walks plus massage of the foot after each walk, and yoga at least 3 times a week that I had always done since I was 17 years old.

Comment from: sally, 45-54 Female Published: July 26

I had a large hematoma after a TOT (transobturator tape) operation 18 months ago. I still have a hard lump, I wonder how long it usually takes before it will be fully gone.

Comment from: Tonah, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I have foot pain in bed from the blankets. I found this product called the blanket bar. It really helps lower the pain experience from the blankets. I am just saying it helps.

Comment from: kemo2381, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

A few years back, I had severe pain in my feet. After working all day, I drive home and I would have extreme pain. Also when I would get up in the morning so painful. My doctor gave me a boot to wear at night to keep my foot muscles from binding up. It worked excellent. I could tell the difference after just a few nights.

Comment from: footloose, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I have had major foot pain for years. This pain has stopped me working or walking anywhere. I was advised that I had peripheral neuropathy and had to grin and bear it. I have however discovered that I have fluid retention and that the fluid pools on the soles of my feet. I got some diuretics from the chemist and take one tablet a night. It has not solved the problem but I can walk almost anywhere. I no longer lay in bed at night with painful feet keeping ne awake. It certainly helped me it could be of benefit to you.

Comment from: RLHouse, 45-54 Female Published: October 19

I don't know what to do I have burning pain in the bottom of my feet between may second and third toes, It's getting to the point I can hardly walk, run and it even hurts sometimes when I'm sitting. I went to one Doctor she told me to tape my two toes together and that should relieve the pain but it hasn't. I am at my wits end has anyone ever had these kinds of problems please I will try almost anything to relieve the pain.

Comment from: ivbc11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have been suffering w/foot pain for 8 years. It started in 1 foot then spread to the other one. It began in the ball of my foot-it felt like I had a splinter in it, or something in my shoe. It then spread to the arch area, up and over my toes. I was told I had mortons neuroma. I went to a podiatrist, and I was given injections (ouch) and had my foot wrapped in an ace bandage. This treatment made it worse-never helped. I then was working with a nurse, who had the same symptoms as I did. She gave me a book to read-burning soles & aching toes. It explained quite a bit. It offered many combinations of medications for relief. I tried a lot of them--neurontin, baclofen, clonadine. I stayed on these for several years, but I was still having extreme pain, which by this time included swelling of my feet & ankles, pain in my Achilles tendon. I felt like there was nothing i could do-I was only able to wear 1 type of shoe (crocs), with an insert in them for my arches, and for pain in the bottom of my feet. Finally after many tests etc I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy (I am not diabetic), and tarsal tunnel syndrome. I began going to a pain specialist. Now I take neurontin 800mg 3 times a day, baclofen 10mg 3 times a day, clonadine 0.2mg 1 time daily at bedtime, vicodin 3 times daily, and I wear a fentanyl patch 50mcg, which I change every 48 hours. All of this, and I still have pain in my feet, ankles, Achilles tendon, swelling of feet and ankles, and my pain is starting to move up both of my legs. I have been living with this for 10 years. grrrr! If anyone has any suggestions for me, that would be great! Thanks

Comment from: Hot Rod, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

19 years ago I was involved in a drunk driving car accident. I received a Traumatic Brain Injury, (closed head injury), a C-2 fracture in my neck, spent 45 days in a coma and developed "Heterotopic Ossification"(misplaced bone growth) during the coma where bone had grown connecting my pelvis to my femur. That caused my leg (left) to curl up and freeze, you couldn't even pull it down straight. A year later they performed surgery to remove the bone mass that grew and I had to lengthen the tendons and hamstrings in my knee to make my leg straight again. I can walk now but my foot often has severe muscle spasms I need ideas of medications that can help relax my foot. My doctors say "they don't know what to do since they have never seen it spasm." I can't call it on command and wouldn't want to, it hurts and I have no help to relax it. I hope to discover medications to tell my doctor about prescribing me but he told me, "he doesn't understand or know what to do.”

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I work an eight-hour day and walk on concrete floors. I lift and walk with up to 30 pounds for a 1-to-10-foot distance. Also, I have flat feet. Now I use Gold Bond Pain Relief Foot and Ankle Cream. This cream works for me; and, in addition, I need less pain relievers.

Comment from: Fizz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have been suffering with foot pain for years and been told time and again, 'there's nothing we can do'. Only relief I can find is 1200 mg ibuprofen during the day. My job involves walking up to five miles a day and like many people, the constant foot pain is impacting my work, weekend chores and golf.

Comment from: hanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The only time I have relief from toe pain is when I have no shoe on the foot and I am not on my foot. I have it elevated and am not putting weight on it or bending it at the toe area.

Comment from: L. Christensen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had the exact same problem as another patient, except it's my right foot. I am actually fine walking. However, any time I sit or lay down, it will take me a good 10 minutes of standing and walking to stop feeling pain in my foot. It is a sharp stabbing pain on the top of my foot. I have tried different sleeping positions. I've used pillows under my feet, tried elevating my feet, used a pillow between my legs – but nothing has worked. I've also tried foot wraps, different shoe inserts, and different kinds of shoes, etc. When I am lying down or sitting, the foot does not hurt; it only hurts when I initially start to move it or put weight on it. I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure. I am about 20 pounds overweight. Any ideas I can share with my doctor?

Comment from: J.Gothard, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had severe foot pain for almost two years now. Only in my left foot, and always in the same place. Here is the weird thing: it is debilitating at times. I get out of my truck and it literally takes five minutes to "get my foot under me" without excruciating pain. Once I finally am able to get my weight on it and walk for a bit, I am OK and relatively pain free. As soon as I relax, drive, or take weight off for any amount of time, the pain is back in full force and the vicious cycle reruns itself. It is not a burning pain, but a sharp knife-like jabbing pain in the lower part of the outside of the left foot. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

When I'm not walking I have no pain in my left foot. I only have to walk a short distance and my foot starts to ache, more on the top of the foot than the underside.

Comment from: jablc, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I walked on hard hospital floors for one day in flat sandals that were cute but obviously bad for the feet. My left foot aches constantly; most of the pain is located on the bottom of the arch and the outer sides of my foot.

Comment from: Henna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

One and half years ago, I sprained my right ankle. It did not get the correct treatment it required and it has been getting worse and worse. I am always in a lot of pain. The doctors have said the tendons and ligaments around the ankle are damaged. I am in so much pain when I walk or stand for more than 30 seconds. I have tried so many things in order to recover but no luck. I have tried acupuncture. I have been on crutches. Physiotherapy. Please suggest anything to make my day to day life easier.

Comment from: james, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Foot cooling gel containing Aloe Vera and bathing the feet every night in cold water. The water will still feel red hot to you if you have Idiopathic Neuropathology. Prescribed patches of Lydocain will also help but they can be used only for a 12 hour period before removal. Have a cool fan blowing on the soles of your feet and used cotton linen on your bed.

Comment from: Nick, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I'm 16 and I play basketball for my school, but 4 months ago my feet started hurting, then my ankles and then my knees. I can't run up and down the court, and I have lost like 20 inches off my vertical leap. I don't even remember getting injured.

Comment from: RLS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I had a planter's wart in the ball of my foot years ago and had it removed. Lately, I've been having terrible, sharp pain in that area. I thought it was gout arthritis, but the more I read it seems that the symptoms are different. What I'm experiencing is a sharp pain whether I am seated or standing. I have not sought out medical attention yet and would like to know if there is something that I can do first.

Comment from: Burt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had foot pain since my early 20's and I am now 64. When I stand for any length of time the bottoms of my feet hurt badly. I have gone to foot doctors that did therapy, arch supports, and two Neurologist that found no problems but I am still having pain on the bottoms of my feet. I am in excellent health and exercise 5 to 6 days per week. When I run more than 5 miles it starts hurting to the point I think they are numb. Who should I see for relief? I am tired of living like this. I want to be active but the pain is just too much at times.

Comment from: perzava, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have problem with my toes and the front part of the bottom of my feet both feet hurt in the same places I went to the Doctor had an X-ray done found nothing wrap my feet with a gel pad for me to wear for five days but it not solve the problem feet are still hurting.

Comment from: Keggy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

About five years ago while I was out walking I tripped and fell over my right foot and injured it and also my collar bone. I went to the hospital and they had told me that my collar bone was fractured and my foot wasn't. To this day it still hurts off and on as it did the day I hurt it and it feels like it is broke. I don't know what I should do.

Comment from: grannydancer, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I injured my foot while dancing in soft shoes. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I was given orthotics to wear and that helped tremendously, but I keep getting charley horses in the bottom of the arch in my foot at night while in bed. These occur frequently during the night which greatly interrupts my sleep. I have been on Flexeril for several months, but my doctor wants me to discontinue use ASAP. A few weeks ago, I realized that I had not had any cramps in my foot, so I discontinued the Flexeril. Within two days of no Flexeril, the cramps started up again.

Comment from: footpain, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I have a small protrusion on the top of my foot. It appears to be near the intermediate cuneiform. The pain is not acute there, but runs down to the toe next to the big toe with severe burning and throbbing on that toe and pain less severe on the big toe. I treated it with a cold pack and 2 Advil. It finally subsided after 15 minutes and I was able to fall asleep. The first night this occurred I just used cold pack, the second I applied the above therapy. I golfed almost very day this summer and walked. I had some discomfort at the protrusion area but nothing like I experienced the last 2 nights.

Comment from: pamskimmy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I personally found great relief in changing my shoes. I now wear the Vibram five fingers shoes and much of the pain that I had was relieved. I think it has something to do with how your foot lands when you walk. Everybody is different, but that was why I had foot pain.

Comment from: Birdy100, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have used walking as my usual form of exercise. In the past I had plantar fascitis but this seems to have abated, at least the pain is not in the heel area but on the balls of my feet. I have calluses and they hurt when I walk very far. I have tried the callus pads and they do offer some relief but I have also tried various kinds of shoes without relief. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comment from: jeepwrangler5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am having really bad pain basically all over both feet. The pain appears to be muscular in nature but I am unsure why I have this pain. I have bought and changed shoes. I have bought and wore support socks but the pain continues. I am wondering if I am having circulation problems. I am not diabetic and I am actually in very good health other than my feet.

Comment from: Nick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I have a foot problem, when I go out and play golf for instance and come home and rest or while at work (sitting at desk) when I get up to walk somewhere, my feet are very sore and hurts to walk, after 5 to 10 steps I am walking fine, but the pain is still there. I am a type 2 diabetic with blood sugar under control.

Comment from: topaz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

My foot pain is on the top of both my feet. Sometimes it feels like there are broken bones on the top of my feet. Soaking my feet in hot water helps. Night time is the worst pain, after I get off my feet. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: peach, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My heels are sensitive and go numb sometimes. My arches have fallen a little too. It's affected the backs of my knees and calves. I get shooting pains on top of my foot at times. It's worse toward the evenings, and my ankles are swollen all the time. This started maybe two years ago. I don't know what to do for them.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter