Foot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout), viruses, fungi, and bacteria (plantar warts and athlete's foot), or even ingrown toenails. Pain and tenderness may be accompanied by joint looseness, swelling, weakness, discoloration, and loss of function. Minor foot pain can usually be treated with rest, ice, compression, and elevation and OTC medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Severe pain should be treated by a medical professional. Read more: Foot Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Feet Facts Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Did you know that certain shoes and common diseases can wreak havoc on your feet? If you've been having problems with your feet,...
Picture of Ingrown Toenail
A common disorder that occurs when the edge of the toenail grows into the skin of the toe particularly on the big (great) toe....
Picture of Corns
A corn is a build-up of hard skin near a bony area of a toe or between toes. See a picture of Corns and learn more about the...
Picture of Blisters
Wearing shoes that do not fit properly or wearing shoes without socks can cause blisters, which can become infected. See a...
Picture of Foot Anatomy Detail
The end of the leg on which a person normally stands and walks. See a picture of Foot Anatomy Detail and learn more about the...
Picture of Foot
The end of the leg on which a person normally stands and walks. See a picture of Foot Anatomy and learn more about the health...
Picture of Bunion
A bunion is a localized painful swelling at the base of the big toe (the great toe). See a picture of Bunion and learn more about...
Picture of Corns and Calluses
Corns generally occur on the tops and sides of the toes. See a picture of Corns and Calluses and learn more about the health...
Gout Attack Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Diet
Gout attacks (gouty arthritis) are caused by crystals of uric acid deposits. Learn about symptoms, causes, treatments and...
Common Causes of Foot Pain
Learn about common causes of foot pain such as bunions, corns, athlete's foot, plantar warts and more. Get the latest information...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Worst Shoes for Your Foot Health and Beauty With Pictures
Stilettos, platforms or flip-flops...which are the worst shoes for your feet? See how some of the hottest styles can be torture...
Burning or Swollen Feet? What Foot Pain Says About Your Health
Foot pain and heel pain can be serious health problems. Discover information about cold feet, itchy feet, burning feet and...
Foot Problems Pictures Slideshow: Ingrown Toenails
Looking for ingrown toenail treatment options? Get informed about the causes of ingrown nails, as well as prevention tips for...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Foot Health: Reasons You Feel Burning in Your Feet
The feeling of burning in your feet isn't just an annoyance. It might also be a sign of a more serious condition. Find out more...
IMAGESSee a medical illustrations of the foot and foot anatomy plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
A bruise, or contusion, is caused when blood vessels are damaged or broken as the result of a blow to the skin. The raised area...
Athlete's foot (tinea pedis) is a skin infection caused by the ringworm fungus. Symptoms include itching, burning, cracking,...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Heel spurs -- pointed, bony outgrowths of the heel -- are caused by localized soft-tissue inflammation and can be located at the...
A Morton's neuroma is an inflamed nerve between the bones at the ball of the foot. Symptoms include a burning, sharp pain on the...
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers
Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are prescribed medications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions. Examples of...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
The common bunion, an enlargement of the inner portion of the joint at the base of the big toe, primarily affects women. The...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Shin splints result from inflammation from injury to the tendon and adjacent tissues in the front of the outer leg. Shin splints...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Corns and calluses are sometimes painful areas of thickened skin that appear between the toes and fingers or on the soles of the...
Warts (Common Warts)
Common warts are skin growths causes by the human papillomavirus. There are many types of warts, including plantar warts, common...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Diabetes and Foot Problems (Treatment)
Diabetes related foot problems can affect your health with two problems: diabetic neuropathy, where diabetes affects the nerves,...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Ingrown Toenail (Onychocryptosis)
Ingrown toenails are caused by the growth of the toenail into the surrounding nail fold. Symptoms and signs include toe pain,...
A broken toe is one of the most common fractures among individuals. There are many causes of a broken toe, whether it is the big...
Bone spurs are pointy outgrowths of bone that develop in areas of inflammation or injury. They commonly occur on the heel and...
Leprosy (Hansen's disease) is a disfiguring disease caused by infection with Mycobacterium leprae bacteria. The disease is spread...
A broken foot is a common injury. There are 26 bones in the foot, and these bones can be broken (fractured) in a variety of...
Turf toe is a sprain to the ligaments around the big toe joint. Symptoms and signs include pain, swelling, a popping sound,...
Flatfoot (Pes Planus)
Flatfoot is a disorder in which the foot's entire sole is touching the ground while standing. Symptoms and signs of flatfoot...
Local ResourcesFind a local Orthopedic Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- codeine (for Pain)
- salsalate, Amigesic, Salflex, Argesic-SA, Marthritic, Salsitab, Artha-G
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- choline magnesium salicylate, Trilisate
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Over-the-Counter Products
- Pain Medications (Narcotics)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- Oxycodone vs. Codeine
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
Prevention & Wellness
- Keeping Your Summer Fun on Sound Footing
- Health Tip: Treating Calluses at Home
- Health Tip: Prevent Heel Pain
- Smart Steps for Healthy Feet
- Physical Therapy Can Help You Avoid Opioids When Joint Pain Strikes
- How to Avoid Suitcase Strain This Holiday Season
- Jump Into Plyometrics -- the Exercises to Power Muscles
- Health Tip: Treating Plantar Warts
- 1 in 12 Americans Lives With Debilitating Chronic Pain
- 'Fish Pedicure' Caused One Woman's Toenails to Stop Growing
- Pack the Right Footwear for Summer Vacations
- Health Tip: Relieve Your Blister, Corn or Callus
- Foot Fungus on the Run But Race Has a Long Way to Go
- Are Pricey Orthotic Insoles Worth It for Heel Pain?
- Health Tip: Prevent Warts on Your Feet
- Health Tip: When Arthritis Strikes Your Feet
- Health Tip: Prepare for Your First Podiatrist Visit
- Health Tip: Holiday Foot-Care Advice
- The Right Shoes Can Help Prevent Falls
- Health Tip: Preventing Diabetic Foot Sores
- Flip-flops: Fun in the Sun, but Tough on Feet
- Health Tip: Avoid Tight Shoes
- Health Tip: Sandals May Cause Foot Problems
- Health Tip: Dealing With Foot Arthritis
- Health Tip: Think You Fractured Your Foot?
- Health Tip: Recognize a Foot Neuroma
- Health Tip: Choose the Right Shoe for a Hammer Toe
- Health Tip: Make Sure Kids' Shoes Fit Well
- Cold-Weather Foot Care Key for Diabetics
- Cushioned Shoe Inserts Won't Guard Against Injury: Review
- Winter Shoes Can Boost Bunion Pain
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Corns and Calluses
- Health Tip: Choose the Right Shoes
- Health Tip: Easing Bunions
- Expert Offers Advice on Treating Corns, Calluses
- Health Tip: Considering Shoe Inserts
- Health Tip: Prevent Heel Pain
- Health Tip: Shoe Inserts May Help Pain
- Start Your Hike on the Right Foot With Proper Footwear
- Health Tip: Coping With a Bump on the Back of the Heel
- Health Tip: Common Causes of Foot Arthritis
- Health Tip: Boost Balance With the Right Shoes
- Health Tip: Shopping for Athletic Shoes
- Health Tip: Selecting Shoe Inserts
- Health Tip: Battling Bunion Pain
- Health Tip: When Feet Sweat
- Health Tip: Pain in the Foot?
- Health Tip: Take Care of Your Feet
- Scientists Erase, Then Restore Memories in Rats
- Health Tip: Understanding Corns and Calluses
- Health Tip: Keeping Seniors on Their Feet
- Health Tip: Choose a Sturdy Pair of Flip-Flops
- Health Tip: Cold Feet?
- Health Tip: When Tendinitis Affects Your Feet
- Your Feet Aren't So Evolved After All, Study Reveals
- Health Tip: Fit Your Teen's Feet
- Health Tip: Recognizing Plantar Fasciitis
- Flip-Flops May Put You on Path to Foot Trouble
- Health Tip: Understanding Heel Pain
- Pregnancy Boosts Size of Women's Feet, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Manage Bunion Pain
- Health Tip: How Your Feet Age
- Health Tip: Before You See a Podiatrist
- Health Tip: Feet That Hurt
- Health Tip: Protect Your Feet From Fungus
- Health Tip: Shoes Too Tight?
- Health Tip: What to do About Corns and Calluses
- Health Tip: Wearing Flip Flops
- Health Tip: Do You Have Plantar Fasciitis?
- Health Tip: Symptoms of Foot Arthritis
- Solving the Medical Mystery of Cold Feet
- Happy Feet: Plastic Surgery for Best Foot Forward
- Health Tip: Buying Shoes for Your Child
- Health Tip: Protect Your Feet
- Health Tip: Be Safe During a Pedicure
- Flip-Flops: Your Arch Enemy?
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Warts on the Feet
- Health Tip: Help Your Feet Beat Summer's Heat
- Health Tip: Easing Heel Pain
- Barefoot Running Can Be Great, but Tread Carefully
- Health Tip: Managing a Hammertoe
- Health Tip: Stress Fracture of the Foot
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Foot and Ankle Injuries
- Health Tip: Is That Bump a Bunion?
- Health Tip: The Causes of Corns
- Health Tip: What Triggers Ingrown Toenails?
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Heel Problems
- High Heels Can Bring on Ingrown Toenails
- Health Tip: Warning Signs of Foot Arthritis
- New Therapy Might Help Relieve Painful Foot Condition
- Wrong Shoes Make Gout Pain Worse
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter