Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your food poisoning? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: MN Baseball fan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I ate a Cuban pork sandwich at the ballgame at 3 PM. Next day, less than 24 hours later it felt like an alien was going to pop out of my stomach. I had a bad feeling when I ate the sandwich. The meat looked a little raw, but it tasted good. I came close to vomiting, but never did. I spent the next two days on and off the throne. Finally I started feeling better the next day, but when I tried to get out of bed the room started spinning rapidly. What is this! Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) that probably came about from the food poisoning is what I'm finding out.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Several hours after eating a chicken soup with vegetables that may not have been refrigerated properly I was at work and started feeling weird and dizzy like the room was spinning around me. Shortly after that I was in the bathroom but no diarrhea because I take probiotics constantly (thank goodness), everything that came out was solid, not diarrhea. However, I started vomiting and this continued for about 5 to 8 hours. The dizziness continued and I am on day two at home. The vomiting has ceased (hopefully) replaced by headache and chills. I am drinking hot lemon with honey and it helped immensely. I also took some olive leaf capsules which kill bacteria and noticed an immediate relief last night. No food yet (24 hours) just the lemon drink so far.

Comment from: BetterNow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

About 9 pm, I had a chocolate martini and I ate a steak (rare as always) and lobster dinner with mashed potatoes, some partially cooked spinach on top, asparagus, carrot, and mushroom and was very full. Later when I went to my hotel room, I finished a partially eaten piece of refrigerated chocolate cake. When I got up at 7, I didn't feel well, started getting cold and clammy, and cramps. I threw up 3 times and then started having diarrhea the rest of the day and am still having some, but along with the diarrhea, bright red blood is exiting; not pouring, but just lots of drops with each bowel movement. I had a routine colonoscopy in October and everything was fine. I am hoping the blood is just some internal hemorrhoid. I am still having cramping too from the food poisoning. It's now 24 hours since I ate dinner.

Comment from: Shazzler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I got food poisoning 20 days ago after eating a kebab. Next day I had sickness and extreme diarrhea and I am still suffering from stomach cramps and now have got awful pain in my left hip. I tried pain killers but nothing works. Doctors gave me injection of pain relief a week and half ago and prescribed me Buscopan and told me that my intestines were having spasms. I also have only managed to eat 4 times since it began. I have been clear of the sickness and diarrhea for 4 days but still in so much pain and I passed out twice today as I can't eat and taking painkillers so back to the doctors again tomorrow. I never realized food poisoning could have such an effect.

Comment from: Nikkis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I ate out for five days in a row and made bacon for breakfast, so as to what made me sick, the possibilities are endless. My brother and I went out for dinner. I got home at 8 pm and shortly started having intense, severe abdominal pain and nausea. I had a hard time throwing up, even though I knew it would have made me feel better. I also had a fever and terrible chills, very sweaty. By 3 am (I was awake all night with the awful stomach pain), I began vomiting aggressively all over the place. After that, I spent the rest of the night next to the toilet. That was all last night. I'm feeling slightly better now, keeping some food down.

Comment from: G123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

At a dinner party we left early because I was feeling very tired. By midnight I was throwing up and had a mild fever, body aches, chills and abdominal pain. These food poisoning symptoms lasted for two days. After eating (soup and crackers) I had diarrhea followed by gas. The whole time I was feeling dehydrated but nothing went down easily (not even fluids). I was very sick for three whole days. All I wanted to do was sleep because I was miserable.

Comment from: judith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My symptom of food poisoning is throwing up 13 hours after I ate chicken in Cody's Roadhouse. I am still nauseous after 3 days. I was hospitalized.

Comment from: Food Poison Victim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

The symptoms of my food poisoning were diarrhea, abdominal cramps, bloating, vomiting, chills, and headache. I felt horrible and it lasted 2 days. I drank water and other fluids, and slept a lot.

Comment from: haydee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My symptoms of food poisoning was severe recurrent abdominal pain increasing in severity. No bowel movement or nausea. There were occasional indications that I would vomit, but was not able to. Cause may be raw roast beef purchased two days ago and eaten late last night.

Comment from: charlie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

Symptoms included stomach cramps, watery diarrhea, and dizziness. I also experienced burping with a foul egg taste. The symptoms occurred about 12 hours after eating and lasted for 2 days. I still felt light headed and tired a few days after. I drank lots of Gatorade and water and ate bland foods so as not to upset my stomach during recovery. It occurred after I ate take-out ordered from a person's home. I will never do that again!

Comment from: Tarantulady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Two hours after eating (caused by either fried clams or strawberries or frozen yogurt) I almost instantly got a strange feeling of confusion and dizziness. I just sat there wondering and then suddenly began having almost purely-water diarrhea. The diarrhea was joined by strong vomiting about 2 hours in. The vomiting was uncontrollable for about 1 to 3 hours where I thought I'd choke! Every drop of water I drank came out. Twelve hours later, doctors for a shot of Tigan so I can drink. It's been 30 plus hours since onset, nausea is stopped (by drug) and diarrhea and bloating have continued. I think I'll never eat food again!

Comment from: kuzzi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have serious pain in the bowel area, diarrhea, tingling feeling in fingers and toes, dizziness, and a serious headache; feeling really chilly all the time. Wonder what kind of food poisoning that is. I take ibuprofen which does block all symptoms but only for a couple of hours and then all starts again.

Comment from: mahala61, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Since Saturday I have had a lot of watery diarrhea followed by intense vomiting all day Saturday. The vomiting has stopped but the runs to the bathroom haven't. I ate a broccoli salad and I know it made me sick. It all came up on the first day for most of the day. I'm going into day 5 so I guess I need to go to the hospital. I have a terrible headache.

Comment from: DJ2014, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I ate breakfast at a shelter and I left that morning. Then I start getting severe stomach cramps and then I started having diarrhea every 30 minutes to an hour. I even started burping up a bad odor even though I had brushed my teeth that morning.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and bloating.

Comment from: Vj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had stomach cramps then vomiting and diarrhea, sweats, shivers, and nausea over a few days.

Comment from: connie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have vomiting and nausea also my stomach feels bloated. I am also dizzy.

Comment from: Linda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have food poisoning and I have severe nausea, vomiting, chills and shivering, abdominal pain, headaches, and muscle pains.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

Wednesday, I had a double cheeseburger, fries, tea, and cappuccino. Thursday stomach never hurt so badly. I was nauseated all day. I could not hold down water. Bossman wouldn't stop calling, so I forced fluids in and I somehow forced myself into some clothes and in the car. I was finally able to hold down some cola syrup and I'm feeling better, but my stomach hurts a little.

Comment from: lilthickness36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have really bad abdominal pains, diarrhea, vomiting, chills, and I'm very weak... I am sick to my stomach really bad.

Published: June 16

I went to a pizza place last night for dinner. I ate pizza and a few hours later I woke up vomiting with watery stools. I was so weak, I can't explain it. Of everyone who ate the pizza, I was the sickest because I ate the most.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

Three days ago I flew home to Sweden from Paris. I felt fine, and went out drinking that night (excessively) with friends. I woke up the next morning with a fever, diarrhea, severe stomach cramps, and felt very weak. It got worse throughout the day and in the night I vomited, although this only occurred once while I was sick. I think it was either the drinking or the crap I ate at the airport (the sandwich was sitting there pre-made for God only knows how long). It took over 48 hours for the symptoms to begin to subside.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I have food poisoning and it is the worst feeling ever. Tuesday night I went to bed and was awaken by having bad gas and bloating feeling. Within no time I spend the rest of the evening throwing up every hour and have a loose stool at the same time. By Wednesday I still felt very weak and bad pains in my stomach I threw up one more time on Wednesday. I have stopped the vomiting and no loose stool and today Friday I feel better but still have pains in my stomach from throwing up so much and hard.

Comment from: akin2peter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

The day before yesterday, my daughter and I went to a neighboring town for a trip to the zoo, the community pool and lunch at Arby's. Our lunch was the only thing we'd eaten in common in nearly a week. Within hours, I had awful abdominal gas. 12 hours later (in different households, mind you) we both had awful watery diarrhea and vomiting. Early yesterday morning we went to see our doctors and got gas medicine, antiemetics and diarrhea controlling meds. We slept the entire day yesterday and are exhausted with muscle pain and NO appetite today.

Comment from: Abbasway, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

My husband and I shared a sub purchased from a local chain restaurant. I only ate a small piece while he ate the rest. Shortly after, we both began having severe stomach cramping and pain, bloating and gas. I crushed up several cloves of garlic, simmered them in a little fresh olive oil and ate it along with cinnamon which helped. My husband would not eat them. He was up all night throwing up, cramping and diarrhea. His stomach seemed to get a little better until now, a week later. He came down with a migraine, diarrhea, fever, chills, shaking and cramping. It is his third day today and he is going to the local med center.

Comment from: Dodgegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I got food poisoning a couple of weeks ago, GEE I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE that's how sick I was. Not real sure where I picked up the virus, ate out on a Thursday and Friday (Chinese and seafood). It started on Sunday night. I was vomiting and had diarrhea really bad. After 4 days I did go see a doctor because I was feeling very week, dizzy, diarrhea and vomiting. I was asked to give a stool sample and blood work. Results came back with campylobacter. It did clear up on its own. All I know is that I never felt sick like that in my life!

Comment from: Diana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I eat a sandwich of turkey from the deli at 5pm (it smelled funny but the expiration date was still good). At 1:30am I woke up with severe cramping followed with diarrhea and wanting to vomit. The cramping was so severe that at 8:30am I called the clinic for help. My appointment was not till 1:45pm. I went to sleep and woke up at noon feeling better so I cancelled the appointment. It came back with severe cramps. I ate jello and had another bout of diarrhea. At 5pm I had chicken broth. I still feel very weak.

Comment from: Frightening episode, 45-54 Female Published: May 31

I had a cold, and ate a mild evening meal of "quick prepare" rice that is pre-cooked, sold in a liquid, and offered in a microwaveable bag. It was a reliable brand. Then I had a drink I made myself from boiled water, honey, lemon and powdered ginger. The onset of headache and vomiting was sudden, within 10 hours of consumption, and violent. Each episode of throwing-up (about 10 in total), which also resulted in my passing out on the floor, or "disappearing" for a length of time I will never know, likely not more than a minute each time. This was a frightening aspect of the illness. I am recovering within 36 hours, but do not know if it was the honey or the rice that caused my issue. I know I will never buy this "express" rice package again.

Comment from: J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I made the mistake of ordering the Chinese buffet a few minutes before they were to close it, which meant the food had been out for over 3 hours. The hot food wasn't hot, and the cold food wasn't cold. Five hours later, I started to feel sick. It was at 6 hours when I began vomiting. About 20 minutes later, I had to again, and I also had to go to the bathroom several times. If I moved my head, I became very dizzy. I went to bed about 2 hours earlier than normal. When I awoke this morning, I still felt awful. After being awake for an hour, I vomited twice more. By this time, it was pretty clear. My urine was dark. I went back to bed for a couple of hours. This morning, I had a couple of bites of a banana, and at 2:00 managed to eat a sandwich of toast and a thin piece of turkey. I hope that will stay down. My head hurts, I'm cold, and I am weak and dizzy.

Comment from: Tootieof southcaroli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had a sub sandwich made with sliced rotisserie chicken from a grocery store and cheddar cheese. Within an hour I started vomiting every 20 min. for the next nine hours. It was coming out both ends, but not watery. I also felt feverish at times my muscles were aching. I tried to sleep 15 minutes in between throwing up. The next day I had the worst headache of my life. The pain across my eyes was unbearable. Every time I drank water I got nauseated. I made my sub a few hours before my husband's. He did not get sick. I went to the doctor but by the time I got my meds for nausea and pain, I didn't really need them anymore. Thank goodness for cola!

Comment from: maria, Female Published: April 11

My partner and I had Chinese last night. After an hour I started feeling unwell with stomachache. I could not sleep all night feeling sick and having nightmares. Now I am nauseated and I have muscle weakness and achiness.

Comment from: kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I started feeling sick last night. IU decided to go to bed as it was cooler upstairs. At midnight, I woke up with sickness and diarrhea bloated tummy with cramps and feeling hot and then cold. I was back and forth to the bathroom all night, and I had a thirst that nothing could satisfy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a hamburger in Detroit Monday night and vomited Tuesday afternoon. I have been sick with severe diarrhea still with bloating feeling and constant gas and uncomfortable feeling and my abdomen is still gurgling.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I ate pizza at a small place near my home and about a half an hour after, I knew something was wrong. I was vomiting horribly nearly three hours after I ate, followed by chills, low-grade fever and a headache. I had diarrhea in between and a bad dizzy spell the next morning. The nausea didn't subside til the following afternoon, I only had fluids for 24 hours and began feeling better by the end of the following night.

Comment from: sweed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had been at work all day, and I felt fine. When I got home I had some pate on toast and after 1 hour I had nausea and stomach pains. I threw up 4 times over night. I still have nausea and watery diarrhea and sometimes cramps in my stomach. That started on a Wednesday and its now Saturday morning. I can't wait to feel better.

Comment from: sharpie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Within two hours of eating beef and shrimp at a restaurant, I had a horrible upset stomach. It took another 2 hours to start throwing up and having very watery diarrhea. Also had cramping dizziness, and ringing in my ears. Then the chills and fever episodes set in alternating with other episodes of coming out both ends. This went on all night. The highest my fever got was 101 and lasted about 24 hours. By the 2nd day after I could tolerate water, and was no longer vomiting. Within 48 hours I could eat again. It was pretty awful. Slept in between the bathroom visits.

Comment from: SILAS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

With my food poisoning, I had immediate, unexpected and uncontrollable abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. I am experiencing chills and feeling very thirsty.

Comment from: LMC, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

My daughter ate Mexican food yesterday. She felt sick after finished eating. She thought she had eaten too much, but she just ate one-fifth of her ground beef burrito. By the time she came home she had diarrhea, and became weak. I thought it might be the ground beef that was still not cooked. I will never order any ground beef dish for me and my family.

Comment from: Riven, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I'm going through this now. It's not fun. I ordered a pizza around 7:30. About half an hour after I ate it my stomach went from feeling full to feeling cramped and uncomfortable. Woke up twice to throw up and was dry heaving the third time. I've got chills, I'm freezing and have diarrhea. I also have a light headache as well. My stomach still is hurting and I feel bloated and nauseous. Right now I just want to go to bed.

Comment from: pop, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have stomach cramping followed by diarrhea after eating clam chowder and a crab/artichoke melt.

Food Poisoning Dangers Slideshow
Comment from: Health Care Provider, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I attended a seminar/brunch. When my table was called to eat it was the last in line. I put on my plate, scrambled eggs, French toast, potatoes, and a mini muffin. All the food was lukewarm. One hour later driving home a wave of nausea hit me, along with dizziness, which made driving difficult. I stopped at friend's house nearby, where I vomited twice. Cramping had occurred in my stomach. I still felt dizzy and nauseated. She drove me home where I vomited a third time. By 6:00p.m that evening I was feeling better.

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 16

About 2 hours after eating a Chinese meal, I began to feel cold and clammy, soon after I developed diarrhea and vomiting. The stools where like water and continued like this every hour for approx 8 hrs. During this time I suffered extremely painful bouts of stomach and back pain.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I was in Appleton Wisconsin visiting my grandkids. I got food poisoning there. I threw up 13 times in a 12 hour period. I had diarrhea so bad that it was just running out of me. I got so dehydrated that I couldn't walk. I had to go in the hospital and take bag after bag of fluids and antibiotics. I had all kind of test done and a couple weeks after I was able to have an upper GI series and a colonoscopy. That is when they found the heliobacter pylori (H. Pylori) bacteria in my stomach. I was very sick and I am still having severe problems with my stomach.

Comment from: valerie, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 15

My adult son ate last week at a Mexican restaurant and got sick on the way home - about 15 minutes after leaving the place. He felt very nauseated, but thinking it was just an upset stomach began eating antacids. By the time he got home about 30 minutes later he began throwing up uncontrollably -- over and over for several hours.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I developed upset stomach on a Tuesday night followed by very watery diarrhea. By next morning, I had low-grade fever, a horrible headache, and extreme nausea but no more vomiting. It is now Sunday noon and I have much less diarrhea but it still is not gone. Within 24 hours of my onset, my husband was also ill. Our common denominator was turkey eaten at a sandwich place.

Comment from: turbod428, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I ate the asiago cheese and peppercorn steak with potatoes and veggies at a restaurant in Minnesota. Within 2 hours I had nausea, severe stomach cramping and gas. By midnight I had diarrhea and vomiting as well. By morning things slowed but I still had nausea, a little diarrhea and slight stomach cramping along with headache. I never got a fever. This has been a horrible feeling for 12 hours. Now I'm starting to feel a little better.

Comment from: Lex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

My symptoms occurred approximately l 48 hours after ingesting the contaminated food. I woke up at 4 in the morning with mild stomach cramps and nausea. The abdominal cramps became more and more intense and I was experiencing cold chills. I went straight to the doctor. I received 2 injections - one for the gastro and one for my lack of energy and a bit of other meds. About 2 hours later, most of the cramps had subsided but 6 hours later I still cannot hold much down (only been having liquids). I have a watery stool now as well. I am extremely weak and really struggling just to get up to get something to drink. Hope I feel better soon.

Comment from: reiffd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I have food poisoning and I have had stifling amounts of watery diarrhea for four days now.

Comment from: jtoppd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I went on a cruise ship with my wife for four days. On the third day I woke up feeling weak. I also had diarrhea. I wasn't vomiting, but at times felt like I could. I had the sweats, but not the chills. My stomach was very bloated and I could feel the gas in my stomach. After four days I have recovered except for the gas problem. I continue to have a stomach gas issue. While sick all I could do was stay in bed and sleep. I slept for two and a half days, only getting up to go to the bathroom and get a drink. This is the third time in five years this has happened to me on a cruise ship.

Comment from: anonymous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My symptoms started around 2 o'clock that night with severe nausea and abdominal cramping. About a half an hour later it was followed by vomiting and watery diarrhea. I had to vomit or go to the toilet about every half hour. Eventually I had these symptoms for about 6-7 hours before the vomiting and diarrhea finally stopped. By then everything that came out was just water. In the morning around 9:00 o'clock my symptoms subsided and I felt less nauseated and the vomiting/diarrhea stopped. By 12:00 o'clock in the afternoon I was able to hold fluids. I felt much better within 24 hours after my symptoms started.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I began feeling very tired and light headed within 15 minutes of eating in a restaurant. Then my stomach began to feel upset so I stood to go to the bathroom. I started to feel faint as I walked to the restroom and the last thing I remember was opening the door to the bathroom. Next, my friend was standing over me and I was lying on the floor in the bathroom where I had passed out. She helped me sit up and then my stomach began to feel worse. I had severe diarrhea and vomiting for about 15 minutes. When I stood up after I felt dizzy again and almost passed out. Within a few hours I was feeling better, but my stomach hurt for the next 24 hours and I limited my diet to bland foods and water.

Comment from: vmw, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

I have food poisoning. Along with it, I have a low-grade fever, diarrhea and weakness for going on three days now.

Comment from: Silverstar685, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am experiencing the same symptoms. I think it was from either bleu cheese or spinach. It started with terrible stomach cramping, followed by intense diarrhea and then vomiting occurred about an hour later. Finally after 4 hours, the vomiting has subsided. However, the diarrhea is still present. I would like to take Imodium but this site said that it could cause further problems. I worried because I have a preexisting kidney disease.

Comment from: Evonda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Ate a brown avocado (don't even ask) at 1 p.m. Eleven hours later I was awakened by bad stomach cramps, had severe diarrhea which rendered me virtually helpless on the bathroom floor for about half an hour. Within an hour of the diarrhea onset came intense vomiting (three episodes within a 2 hour period). No more vomiting but the diarrhea lasted, though decreased for a period of about 36 hours.

Comment from: Primo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

After eating a sandwich last night stomach cramps followed within three hours of eating the sandwich. Vomiting occurred all night last night and has continued all day today. Cannot keep additional light meals down. (Attempted to eat watermelon and a banana, but vomiting reoccurred. The sandwich was an Italian BMT. So far no fever or diarrhea.

Comment from: ucsmbmuc, 19-24 Female Published: June 03

Diarrhea several times a day for about a month, then a couple times a week for the next month or so, almost completely symptom free after about 6 months. Now a year later I still have diarrhea more often than I ever did before. I went to Guatemala and I am still constantly tired. After so much time, and nothing tuning up in the original stool sample it is hard to know what the cause was let alone if symptoms I have now are related. My recommendation: never go to Guatemala.

Comment from: Erin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had a seafood medley dish at a beach restaurant, cooked mussels, scallops, crabmeat and shrimp. I woke up at 3 am very hot and sweaty but temp was 70. Laid under a fan but then began to experience sweats/chills until 7 am when the vomiting began. No cramps, no diarrhea. But non-stop vomiting for 30 hrs.

Comment from: S from Wisc., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had three bouts of food poisoning in one month. I am an over the road truck driver so eat out regularly. The first time was tomato soup and after hours of both vomiting and diarrhea I had extreme joint pain and muscle weakness. I slept for nearly two days and when I finally ate again the diarrhea returned. The second bout was mild in comparison with only an hour or so of vomiting and no joint pain. Today, I am recovering from hours of vomiting, diarrhea and fever. I also had joint pain and muscle weakness and slept on and off for 30+ hours. I feel much better but am considering seeing my doctor to find out if it's the food or me.

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I had bloated stomach, gas, and intense pain in my hips and upper legs. No throwing up, or diarrhea, thank goodness, just intense stomach pain. No appetite for two days. Drank organic chocolate milk that left a tangy after taste in my mouth. Bought in a store out of an open cooler. Will not make that mistake again.

Comment from: dawna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I ate a chicken, Swiss cheese blt sandwich at a restaurant in Fla by the Gulf of Mexico and 30+ minutes I felt like I was going to have diarrhea. I vomited 2 times on my way to the restroom. Couldn't have a bowel movement for 10 or more minutes and then a threw up some more. About 1 1/2 hours later more diarrhea started seeing blood mixed in it. Hours later just had blood come out. Was a running a fever so I slept a lot, stomach very sore like full of gas. It's been 4 days stomach still sore.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: April 20

At 10 in the morning I heated up some brisket from a meal the night before in the microwave until warm, then made a sandwich with mustard and mayonnaise for my flight. I ate the sandwich five hours later. A few hours after that I began feeling nauseated, and a little later the vomiting and diarrhea began. For the next 12 hours I was in great distress with both. It's now four hours after the vomiting ceased but I'm still experiencing some diarrhea, though intermittent. I'm guessing that bacteria multiplied on the meat over those hours and by the time I ate the sandwich, it was full of bacteria.

Comment from: twin89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was at work Thursday and they have their cafeteria that they prep and serve real food. I ate a spinach grilled chicken wrap around 430. That night I felt really sick my stomach was cramping and then I had diarrhea every 30min. I had to go. I also had body aches and a headache. I got better as the days went on but its Tuesday and I am still going to the bathroom and I haven't been eating anything but crackers and the brat diet.

Comment from: amm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

While vacationing in Florida, my family & I dined at Chili's several nights ago. I had some of my fiance's nachos along with my meal of the chicken crispers and fries. Approximately 1 hour after consuming my food, I began experiencing chest pains. By the time we arrived home, my symptoms had worsened to include nausea, abdominal cramping, gas, horrific bloating, diarrhea, back pain and vomiting. By day 2, the vomiting and diarrhea had subsided but I continued to have nausea, cramping, and gas accompanied by fever, headache (for which I took 400mg of Ibuprofen), chills, body aches and a complete lack of energy. It is now day 3; luckily, my fever broke last night but I am still experiencing some nausea, back pain, and abdominal cramping; I have also noticed that my urine is yellowish-orange in color. I have only been able to consume 2 bowls of Chicken Noodle soup, several crackers, Gatorade and water (both in small quantities). I am seriously hoping that this is over soon.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

Headache, high temperature, sweating, shivers, watery diarrhea, persisting for more than four days. No vomiting. Headache reappearing badly after four days.

Comment from: nilgiri98, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

The last two days, I have been suffering from a heavy head, exhaustion, dizziness and passing stool (semi soft) more than three four times a day. I have lost my appetite as well and feel really spaced out and panicky.

Comment from: JW, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

My 10 year-old and I both ate a boxed rice meal with smoked sausage. I had nausea within an hour, and was vomiting violently within two. My stomach cramped, and I had loose stools. The nausea continued all night, and I vomited a lot about three more times. I had severe body aches - mostly in my joints - and was very restless. I couldn't keep anything down for about nine hours. I felt heavy and weak when I tried to move. I felt better after about 24 hours, and still have sore abs and some loose stools. My 10 year old had the exact same symptoms, only not as bad because she ate less.

Comment from: Sean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

When I get food poisoning I get stomach cramping and feel tightness with a headache and chills with decreased appetite.

Comment from: 7-12 Female Published: February 03

I woke up early in the morning and had stomach pain. I woke up two hours later and the food poisoning symptoms were still the same. I took 2 Tums and went back to sleep. One more hour later I was still aching, this time it was extremely painful and felt nauseous. I couldn't walk and had diarrhea.

Comment from: Suzanne F, 55-64 Female Published: February 01

I thought I had a virus but now wonder; I ate not-very-chilled seafood salad from a salad bar. I became extremely tired and achy; light-headed and it kept getting worse. Then I began having severe diarrhea. For about twelve more hours I felt faint and it was a chore to walk across the room. I did not have a fever, though. I did get a headache.

Comment from: MERENEE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

My food poisoning symptoms started about 6 hours after eating goat tacos from a Mexican restaurant. First I experienced stomach cramping with diarrhea, then about one hour afterwards I began vomiting. The symptoms persisted for a day and a half.

Comment from: sassy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

About 2 hours after eating supper from a fast food place, my stomach started cramping and had headache from hell. Also felt nausea and had very loose stools that turned into diarrhea. Also had cold chills.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter