Food poisoning is common, but can also be life threatening. The symptoms for food poisoning are fever, abdominal pain, headache, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Food poisoning has many causes, for example, chemicals (from toxic fish or plants) and bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus or Salmonella). Treatment of food poisoning depends upon the cause. Read more: Food Poisoning (Symptoms, Remedies, Treatment, Cure) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
What Is a Staph Infection? Symptoms, Pictures
Do you know what a staph infection is? Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of staph infections (Staphylococcus...
Summer Food Safety Quiz: Test Your Food Safety IQ
Test your knowledge of food safety with our Summer Food Safety Quiz! Learn what really causes food poisoning as well as what you...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in probiotic foods and fermented products like kimchi, kombucha, and kefir....
Heartburn: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Learn the symptoms of heartburn and which foods cause heartburn or GERD. Discover home remedies and which foods may provide...
Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can be more than just a tummy ache. What are the common causes of abdominal pain in children? Learn...
Uncommon and Common Food-Poisoning Dangers in Pictures
Learn how look for signs and symptoms food poisoning. Discover ways to keep your food safe from dangers including listeria, E....
Salmonella: Food Poisoning, Salmonellosis, Treatment, Symptoms
What is Salmonella? What are the best treatments for Salmonella, and what are its symptoms? From food poisoning to typhoid fever,...
How to Get Rid of Nausea and Vomiting
What is nausea? Do you want to know how to get rid of nausea and how to stop vomiting? Learn home remedies for nausea,...
Related Disease Conditions
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
E. coli (0157:H7) (Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention)
There are many types of E. coli (Escherichia coli). E. coli can cause urinary tract and bladder infections, or lead to sepsis. E...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) Symptoms, Signs Treatment Remedies, Diet
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Why Am I So Bloated and Gassy?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Nausea and vomiting after eating are symptoms that may be caused by many conditions. Antiemetics are drugs that help get rid of...
Trichinosis Worm Infection
Trichinosis is a food-borne disease caused by ingesting parasites (roundworms) in undercooked pork or wild-game meat. Symptoms of...
Salmonella infection (salmonellosis) is typically caused by the consumption of contaminated foods. Symptoms of salmonellosis...
Cholera is an infectious disease characterized by intense vomiting and profuse watery diarrhea and that rapidly lease to...
Is a Staph Infection Contagious?
A staph infection is caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus. Staph can cause boils, food poisoning, cellulitis, toxic shock...
Is E. coli Contagious? (Symptoms and Cure)
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
Botulism is an illness caused by a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. There are three types of botulism:...
Norovirus infection causes stomach flu, or gastroenteritis. It's a very contagious illness with symptoms that include nausea and...
Amebiasis (Entamoeba histolytica Infection)
Amebiasis is an infection caused by an amoeba. Signs and symptoms include bloody stools, abdominal pain, weight loss, fever, and...
Stomach Flu vs. Food Poisoning
The stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are not the same infections. However, they do have a few similar...
Travelers' diarrhea is generally contracted by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Food is the primary...
Is Salmonella Contagious?
Salmonella is a bacteria that can cause a variety of diseases. Salmonella can be transmitted via direct and indirect contact....
Listeria is a type of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Listeriosis symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, and fever. Pregnant...
The bacteria Brucella causes brucellosis, an infectious zoonotic disease in humans. Symptoms and signs include fatigue, fever,...
Cysticercosis (Pork Tapeworm Infection)
Cysticercosis is an infection caused by Taenia solium, the pork tapeworm. Symptoms include seizures, lethargy, nausea and...
Shigellosis is a disease caused by the Shigella bacteria. Bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever are common symptoms. Mild...
Ciguatera poisoning is a type of food poisoning caused by the ciguatera toxin found in a variety of large reef fish found between...
Bioterrorism is a form of terrorism where there is the intentional release of biological agents such as viruses, germs, or...
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Cryptosporidiosis is an intestinal disease caused by the Cryptosporidium parasite. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, stomach...
Is Norovirus Contagious?
Noroviruses cause food poisoning symptoms in infected individuals. Norovirus is transmitted via direct and indirect contact....
Mad Cow Disease
Mad cow disease (or bovine spongiform encephalopathy [BSE]) is a fatal disease that attacks the central nervous system of adult...
Vibrio Infection (Vibriosis)
Vibrio bacteria thrive in warm coastal waters and cause illness when people eat undercooked shellfish or when brackish or...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Cyclospora Infection (Cyclosporiasis)
Cyclospora cayetanensis is a parasite that causes infection when humans ingest food contaminated with feces from an infected...
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
Rat Lungworm (Angiostrongylus cantonensis)
Rat lungworm (Angiostrongylus cantonensis) is a parasite that infects rats. The parasite can infect people if ingested by eating...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Summer Food Safety FAQs
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- E. Coli & Pasteurization
- Poison - Severe Unexplained Illness Possibly a Result of Toxic Tea
- Anthrax...A Burning Coal
- Poison Prevention - Practice It & Live Longer
- E. Coli Outbreaks in Potato Salad and Wading Pool
- Cyclospora Outbreaks
- Power Outage Problems
- Food Allergies vs. Food Intolerance
- 11 Tips for a Safe Fourth of July
- Massive Beef Recall - Are You at Risk?
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Is It Salmonella?
- How Do You Avoid Food Poisoning When Home Canning?
- Should I Get Tested for Food Poisoning?
- Listeriosis Incubation Period and Risk Factors
- 6 Tips if You Need Healthcare When Traveling
- Cyclospora Outbreak - Berry, Berry, Quite Contrary
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Butterball Ground Turkey Recalled Due to Possible Salmonella
- Health Tip: Reducing Risk of Salmonella
- Pillsbury Recalls 12,000 Cases of Flour Over Salmonella Concerns
- Almost 87 Tons of Boston Market Pork Ribs Recalled
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Raw Turkey Products Now at 279 Cases: CDC
- Chronic Wasting Disease Found in Deer in 24 States
- Tyson Foods Recalls Chicken Nuggets
- Thrive Market Recalls Nut Butters
- Prepared Foods With Baby Spinach Recalled by Whole Foods Markets
- Gold Medal Flour Recalled Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination
- How to Fight Norovirus, the 'Cruise Ship' Germ
- Health Tip: Store Refrigerated Food Safely
- Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets Recalled by Perdue Foods
- FDA to Resume Inspections of Riskier Foods
- Chocolates, Candies May be Contaminated With Hepatitis A: FDA
- Gastro Illness Strikes 277 on Cruise Ship
- Health Tip: Prevent Travelers' Diarrhea
- E. Coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce Is Over: CDC
- Canned Corn Recalled by Del Monte
- More Cases in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Recalled Beef
- More Illnesses From Tainted Romaine Lettuce Reported
- It's Safe to Eat Romaine Lettuce Again, But Check Labels: FDA
- Restaurant 'Health Grade' Posters Could Mean Safer Dining
- Cap'n Crunch Cereal Recalled Due to Salmonella Scare
- Worried About the Salmonella Scare With Turkey This Holiday? Don't Be
- 246 Sickened in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Recalled Ground Beef: CDC
- More Raw Turkey Products Recalled
- Duncan Hines Cake Mixes Recalled
- 120 Salmonella Cases in 22 States in Outbreak Linked to Ground Beef
- Ready-to-Eat Salads Recalled
- Salmonella Cases Linked to Raw Chicken Rises to 92 in 29 States: CDC
- More Illnesses in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Gravel Ridge Farms Eggs
- Consumer Reports Says Warnings About Tainted Beef Don't Go Far Enough
- 130 Now Sickened by Salmonella-Tainted Honey Smacks Cereal
- Ground Chuck Products Recalled by Publix Super Markets
- Salmonella Outbreak in 4 States Linked to Kosher Chicken: CDC
- Health Tip: Suggestions for Cleaning Fruit and Veggies
- How to Keep Foodborne Illness at Bay
- Possible Cyclospora Contamination Triggers Food Recall
- Health Tip: Where to Store Food
- Salmonella Spurs Recall of Swiss Rolls, Ritz Crackers
- Salmonella Spurs Recall of Swiss Rolls
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Hy-Vee Spring Pasta Salad
- Salmonella Outbreak in 26 States Linked to Raw Turkey Products
- Illnesses Linked to Venezuela Crab Meat: FDA
- Hundreds Sickened After Eating Del Monte Vegetable Trays
- 'Superbugs' Found in Vast Majority of U.S. Supermarket Meat
- Pantry Items That Stay Fresher in the Fridge
- Is the Milk in Your Fridge 'Off'? Smartphone Might Someday Tell
- Health Tip: When Canning Food at Home
- 70 Sickened So Far in Salmonella-Tainted Melon Outbreak
- Dogs Chase Gulls, Keep Beaches Clean
- A Nasty Germ That Can Lurk in Favorite Foods
- Many Parents Say Restaurant Fare Has Made Kids Sick: Poll
- Health Tip: Keep Food Safer
- Almost 150 Now Sickened By E. Coli-Tainted Lettuce
- Health Tip: Help Prevent E coli Infection
- Nearly 100 Sickened by E.Coli-Tainted Romaine Lettuce
- Cases Rise in E. Coli Outbreak Tied to Romaine Lettuce
- Arizona Romaine Lettuce Tied to Nationwide E. Coli Outbreak: CDC
- Company Recalls More Than 200 Million Eggs Due to Salmonella Scare
- Foodborne Illnesses Can Mean Financial Ruin for Restaurants
- E. Coli Outbreak Hits 7 States, Source Is Unknown
- Health Tip: Prevent Poisoning at Home
- Kratom-Linked Salmonella Outbreak Widens: CDC
- Kratom-Linked Salmonella Outbreak Expands: CDC
- Salmonella Cases Linked to Chicken Salad Now Total 170
- Pet Guinea Pigs Likely Cause of Multistate Salmonella Outbreak: CDC
- E. Coli Outbreak Tied to Leafy Greens is Over: CDC
- More E. Coli Cases Reported in U.S. Outbreak
- Raw Meat Not the Safest Choice for Your Dog or You
- Health Tip: Recognize Symptoms of Food Poisoning
- Romaine Lettuce Suspected in E. Coli Illnesses
- Bah, Hum (Stomach) Bug! Essential Holiday Food Safety Tips
- Health Tip: Prevent Food Contamination
- Health Tip: Seniors at Heightened Risk of Foodborne Illness
- Raw Milk From 'Udder Milk' Co. Poses Health Risk: CDC
- Spread Joy, Not Foodborne Illness, for Thanksgiving
- Health Tip: Leading Causes of Food Poisoning
- An Expert's Guide to Preventing Food Poisoning
- Health Tip: Avoid Recipes With Raw Egg
- Health Tip: Packing for a Picnic
- How to Dodge Summertime Threats
- Health Tip: Enjoy a Safe Outdoor Meal
- U.S. Health Officials Make Headway Against Salmonella
- U.S. Medical Groups Sound the Alarm on Climate Change
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Tennessee Chicken Facility
- Health Tip: Clean Your Refrigerator
- Health Tip: Reheat Food Safely
- Listeria Fears Spur Sara Lee and Sargento Cheese Recalls
- Holiday White Peppermint Hostess Twinkies Recalled
- Warmer Waters May Mean More Toxic Shellfish
- Health Tip: Enjoying Rare Meat Safely
- How to Ship Food Gifts Without Risk
- Nearly 2 Million Lbs of Chicken Recalled
- Bagged Salads May Be Fertile Ground for Bacteria
- Food Safety Not Always on Menu of TV Cooking Shows
- Health Tip: Separate Foods
- Health Tip: Make Sure Eggs Are Thoroughly Cooked
- Scientists Debunk the '5-Second Rule'
- Health Tip: Keeping Foods Separate During Grilling
- Health Tip: Learn About Salmonella
- Climate Change May Bring More Tainted Shellfish to Northern Seas
- Backyard Chicken Trend Can Be Risky
- Health Tip: Cooking Frozen Food
- Health Tip: Packing for a Picnic
- FDA Says 'No' to Eating Raw Cookie Dough
- When Cooking Outside, Don't Let Food Safety Slide
- To Avoid Food Poisoning, There's an App for That
- Health Tip: Thawing Your Thanksgiving Turkey
- Health Tip: When a Stomach Bug Hits
- Multistate Foodborne Illness Outbreaks the Most Deadly: CDC
- Data on Foodborne Disease Outbreaks at Your Fingertips
- Health Tip: Avoid Food Poisoning at Work
- Fish-Related Food Poisoning in Florida Under-Reported
- Summer Spurs Calls to Poison Centers
- 2nd U.S. Ice Cream Maker Pulls All Products After Listeria Threat
- Recalls of Ice Cream, Hummus Spur Listeria Warnings
- Health Tip: Cancer Treatment Makes Foodborne Illness a Bigger Concern
- U.S. Officials Pinpoint Common Sources of Foodborne Illnesses
- Health Tip: Avoid Raw Dairy Products
- Health Tip: Keep Bacteria Out of Your Kitchen
- Health Tip: Keep Certain Foods Isolated
- Mouse Study Suggests Antibiotics May Aid Salmonella's Spread in Animals
- Lunchbox Hygiene Helps Prevent Foodborne Illness, Expert Says
- Poorly Packed Lunches Can Cause Food Poisoning
- Grill Safely This Holiday Weekend
- Food Handlers Cause Most Food-Poisoning Cases
- Yelp Can Help Spot Food Poisonings at Restaurants
- Salmonella Cases Dip in U.S., But Food Poisoning Rates Remain High
- Restaurants Pose Double the Risk of Food Poisoning Compared to Homes: Study
- Health Tip: Protect Against Salmonella
- Illnesses Traced to Uncle Ben's Rice; Commercial-Size Packages Recalled
- Disinfectants Can't Defeat Salmonella in Food-Processing Plants: Study
- Health Tip: Avoid Food Poisoning During Holiday Travel
- Expert Serves Up Turkey Tips for a Healthy Holiday
- Health Tip: Enjoy Raw Seafood Safely
- Shellfish Toxin Spreading to Eastern U.S., Report Says
- Health Tip: If You Get Food Poisoning
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Food Poisoning
- Health Tip: Prevent Food Poisoning in Baby Food
- Lessons Learned From Cantaloupe-Listeria Outbreak
- Health Tip: Avoid Food Poisoning From Seafood
- Mexico Farm Tied to Stomach Bug Back in Operation
- Cases Reported in Stomach Bug Outbreak Top 600
- Health Reporter Nearly Killed by Food Poisoning
- Cases in Stomach Bug Outbreak Continue to Climb
- Health Tip: Foods That May Harbor Listeria
- Company Tied to Stomach Bug Outbreak Stops Shipments to U.S.
- Stomach Bug Outbreak Cases Top 500
- Stomach Bug Outbreak Grows, Bagged Salad Implicated
- U.S. Health Officials Still Tracking Source of Stomach Bug Outbreak
- Cyclospora Infections: Are You at Risk?
- CDC: Investigation of an Outbreak of Cyclosporiasis in the United States
- Social Media Helps Pin Down Source of Foodborne Strep Throat Outbreak
- Health Tip: Keep Food Safe
- 61 Now Sickened in Hepatitis A Outbreak Tied to Frozen Berry Mix
- Listeria Food Poisoning Hits Elderly, Moms-to-Be Hardest: CDC
- Number of U.S. Foodborne Illness Cases Stalled: CDC
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- 'Moderate' Red Tide Expected in New England This Summer
- 'Cruise Ship Virus' Also Sickens 1 Million U.S. Kids Yearly
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Foster Farms Chicken
- Health Tip: Avoid Food Poisoning
- Fish Like Grouper, Barracuda May Pose Food-Poisoning Risk
- What Food Made You Sick?
- Salmonella Cause of Most Foodborne-Illness Outbreaks: CDC
- New Strain of Norovirus Spreading Quickly in U.S.
- Veggie Burgers Recalled Over Listeria Risk
- Trader Joe's Recalls Frozen Chicken and Rice Dish
- Harmful Bacteria Found in Samples of U.S. Pork
- Health Tip: Talkin' Turkey
- Food Safety Tips For a Worry-Free Tailgating Party
- Peanut Butter Recall Expands
- Trader Joe's Peanut Butter Recalled Nationwide
- Kroger Recalls Spinach in 15 States
- 3 Dead in Listeria Outbreak From Ricotta Cheese
- More Benefits of Breast Milk Revealed
- Health Tip: Defrost Meat Properly
- Health Tip: If Your Child Develops Food Poisoning
- Deaths in Salmonella Outbreak Traced to Cantaloupe
- Health Tip: Protect Against Food Poisoning During Pregnancy
- 8 Tons of Kids' Lunch Wraps Recalled Over Listeria
- Onion Recalls Continue
- The 'Five Second Rule' Is a Myth
- 33 Sickened by Salmonella Linked to Ground Beef: CDC
- Beware of the Potato Salad: Preventing Foodborne Illness in Summer
- Dole Recalls Bagged Salad Because of Listeria Risk
- Infant Dies in New E. Coli Outbreak
- Salmonella Concerns Prompt Baby Spinach Recall
- Nationwide Recall of Bagged Salads Expands
- USDA Unveils Plans to Stem Food-borne Illness
- Health Tip: Have a Safe Picnic
- Imported Foods Causing More Disease
- Raw Milk Causes Most Illness From Dairy Products: CDC
- Hard-Boiled Egg Recall Hits 34 States
- Study Finds Bacteria in Unused Paper Towels
- USDA Issues New Safety Rules for Beef
- Health Tip: Don't Let Holiday Turkey Make You Sick
- Raw Cookie Dough Ready to Bake, Not Ready to Eat
- Can of Soup a Day Linked to High BPA Levels in Urine
- 2 More Deaths in Listeria/Cantaloupe Outbreak
- Listeria Outbreak Now 2nd Largest in U.S. History
- Ground Beef Recalled in 14 States
- Listeria: Are You at Risk?
- 8 Dead From Listeria-Contaminated Cantaloupes
- Death Toll Rises From Listeria in Cantaloupes
- Second Listeriosis Death From Contaminated Cantaloupes
- Listeria Forces Recalls of Ready-to-Eat Chicken, Meat
- Recalled Cucumbers in Your Fridge?
- 27 Tons of Turkey Burgers Recalled
- School Band Instruments Are Bacterial Hot Spots
- Ground Beef Recalled in 10 States
- Skippy Peanut Butter Recall: Salmonella Risk
- Year-End Flurry of Food Recalls, Illness
- 1 in 6 Americans Gets Food-borne Illness
- Egg Recall: FDA Finds Salmonella on Suspect Farms
- Egg Recall: Trail Leads to Iowa Firm
- Egg Recall: Frequently Asked Questions
- Egg Recall Expands; CDC Expects More Illnesses
- Salmonella Outbreaks Spur Nationwide Egg Recall
- Iams Cat Food Recalled
- Frozen Meals Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
- Irradiation Almost Erases Risk of Food Poisoning
- Peanut Butter Food Poisoning Warning
- Ground Turkey Recall: 36 Million Lbs., Among Largest Recalls Ever
- Summer Barbecue: Heat the Meat!
- Interpreting Dates on Food Products
- Can Your Kitchen Pass the Food Safety Test?
- Start at the Store: 7 Ways to Prevent Foodborne Illness
- Travel: Is Water on Planes Safe?
- Food Safety: How Safe is Imported Food?
- Diseases from Animals: A Primer
- Salmonellosis, Frequently Asked Questions
- Eggs Safer from Salmonella?
- Salmonella from Raw Meat Alert
- Cruising with Confidence
- Salmonella Enteritidis Infection (Egg Associated)
- Cooking A Turkey Is A Family Affair - How to Avoid Food Poisoning
- Key Cutting Board Rules - Avoid Food Poisoning!
- Food Contamination - Choosing & Preparing A Healthy Dish
- Tips for Avoiding Food Contamination
- 7 Tips for a Healthy Picnic
- Traveler's Tips for Safe Water
- Traveler's Tips for Safe Eating