Food poisoning is common, but can also be life threatening. The symptoms for food poisoning areStaphylococcus aureus). Treatment of food poisoning depends upon the cause. Read more: Food Poisoning Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Pictures of the Belly-Fattening Foods That Men Love
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
What Is a Staph Infection? Symptoms, Pictures
Do you know what a staph infection is? Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of staph infections (Staphylococcus...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Heartburn: Causes, Symptoms, Remedies, Treatments
Learn the symptoms of heartburn and which foods cause heartburn or GERD. Discover home remedies and which foods may provide...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Slideshow: Top Foods With Probiotics
See the top probiotic foods that contain good bacteria that can boost your digestive health, and learn to include them in your...
Summer Food Safety Quiz: Test Your Food Safety IQ
Test your knowledge of food safety with our Summer Food Safety Quiz! Learn what really causes food poisoning as well as what you...
Uncommon and Common Food-Poisoning Dangers in Pictures
Learn how look for signs and symptoms food poisoning. Discover ways to keep your food safe from dangers including listeria, E....
Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can be more than just a tummy ache. What are the common causes of abdominal pain in children? Learn...
How to Get Rid of Nausea and Vomiting
What is nausea? Do you want to know how to get rid of nausea and how to stop vomiting? Learn home remedies for nausea,...
Salmonella: Food Poisoning, Salmonellosis, Treatment, Symptoms
What is Salmonella? What are the best treatments for Salmonella, and what are its symptoms? From food poisoning to typhoid fever,...
Related Disease Conditions
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis )
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes...
Typhoid fever is an illness caused by the Salmonella typhi bacteria. The illness is contracted by ingesting the bacteria in...
Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A)
Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A) is one type of liver disease caused by a virus. Since...
Is the Stomach Flu Contagious?
The stomach flu (gastroenteritis) refers to variety infections that occur in the GI (gastrointestinal tract). The stomach flu is...
Trichinosis is a food-borne disease caused by ingesting parasites (roundworms) in undercooked pork or wild-game meat. Symptoms of...
Botulism is an illness caused by a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. There are three types of botulism:...
E. coli (0157:H7) (Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention)
There are many types of E. coli (Escherichia coli ). E. coli can cause urinary tract and bladder infections, or lead to sepsis. E...
Salmonella infection (salmonellosis) is typically caused by the consumption of contaminated foods. Symptoms of salmonellosis...
Is a Staph Infection Contagious?
A staph infection is caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus. Staph can cause boils, food poisoning, cellulitis, toxic shock...
Anthrax is a deadly infectious disease that may be transmitted to humans by infected animals or by biological warfare. There are...
Norovirus infection causes stomach flu, or gastroenteritis. It's a very contagious illness with symptoms that include nausea and...
Shigellosis is a disease caused by the Shigella bacteria. Bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever are common symptoms. Mild...
Cholera is an infectious disease characterized by intense vomiting and profuse watery diarrhea and that rapidly lease to...
Is E. coli Contagious?
E. coli is an infection found worldwide. There are several subtypes of the E. coli species. E. coli is transmitted from...
Nausea and vomiting after eating are symptoms that may be caused by many conditions. Antiemetics are drugs that help get rid of...
Travelers' diarrhea is generally contracted by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Food is the primary...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Cryptosporidiosis is an intestinal disease caused by the Cryptosporidium parasite. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, stomach...
Listeria is a type of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Listeriosis symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, and...
Is Salmonella Contagious?
Salmonella is a bacteria that can cause a variety of diseases. Salmonella can be transmitted via direct and indirect contact....
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Cysticercosis (Pork Tapeworm Infection)
Cysticercosis is an infection caused by Taenia solium, the pork tapeworm. Symptoms include seizures, lethargy, nausea and...
Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is a diseases in which blood clots within the capillaries. Causes associated with HUS...
The bacteria Brucella causes brucellosis, an infectious zoonotic disease in humans. Symptoms and signs include fatigue, fever,...
Mad Cow Disease
Mad cow disease (or bovine spongiform encephalopathy [BSE]) is a fatal disease that attacks the central nervous system of adult...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Ciguatera poisoning is a type of food poisoning caused by the ciguatera toxin found in a variety of large reef fish found between...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
Amebiasis (Entamoeba histolytica Infection)
Amebiasis is an infection caused by an amoeba. Signs and symptoms include bloody stools, abdominal pain, weight loss, fever, and...
Is Norovirus Contagious?
Noroviruses cause food poisoning symptoms in infected individuals. Norovirus is transmitted via direct and indirect contact....
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
Food Poisoning - Symptoms
What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?Post View 71 Comments
Food Poisoning - Treatment
What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?Post View 6 Comments
Food Poisoning - Causes
Do you know what caused your food poisoning?Post View 5 Comments
Food Poisoning - Experience
Please describe your experience with food poisoning.Post View 59 Comments
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies
Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.Post View 7 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Summer Food Safety FAQs
- Listeriosis Incubation Period and Risk Factors
- 6 Tips if You Need Healthcare When Traveling
- Are You Too Sick to Work?
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Cyclospora Outbreak - Berry, Berry, Quite Contrary
- Food Allergies vs. Food Intolerance
- 11 Tips for a Safe Fourth of July
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Is It Salmonella?
- Massive Beef Recall - Are You at Risk?
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Power Outage Problems
- Anthrax...A Burning Coal
- E. Coli Outbreaks in Potato Salad and Wading Pool
- Cyclospora Outbreaks
- Poison Prevention - Practice It & Live Longer
- E. Coli & Pasteurization
- Poison - Severe Unexplained Illness Possibly a Result of Toxic Tea
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Leading Causes of Food Poisoning
- An Expert's Guide to Preventing Food Poisoning
- Health Tip: Avoid Recipes With Raw Egg
- Health Tip: Packing for a Picnic
- How to Dodge Summertime Threats
- Health Tip: Enjoy a Safe Outdoor Meal
- U.S. Health Officials Make Headway Against Salmonella
- U.S. Medical Groups Sound the Alarm on Climate Change
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Tennessee Chicken Facility
- Health Tip: Clean Your Refrigerator
- Health Tip: Reheat Food Safely
- Listeria Fears Spur Sara Lee and Sargento Cheese Recalls
- Holiday White Peppermint Hostess Twinkies Recalled
- Warmer Waters May Mean More Toxic Shellfish
- Health Tip: Enjoying Rare Meat Safely
- How to Ship Food Gifts Without Risk
- Nearly 2 Million Lbs of Chicken Recalled
- Bagged Salads May Be Fertile Ground for Bacteria
- Food Safety Not Always on Menu of TV Cooking Shows
- Health Tip: Separate Foods
- Health Tip: Make Sure Eggs Are Thoroughly Cooked
- Scientists Debunk the '5-Second Rule'
- Health Tip: Keeping Foods Separate During Grilling
- Health Tip: Learn About Salmonella
- Climate Change May Bring More Tainted Shellfish to Northern Seas
- Backyard Chicken Trend Can Be Risky
- Health Tip: Cooking Frozen Food
- Health Tip: Packing for a Picnic
- FDA Says 'No' to Eating Raw Cookie Dough
- When Cooking Outside, Don't Let Food Safety Slide
- To Avoid Food Poisoning, There's an App for That
- Health Tip: Thawing Your Thanksgiving Turkey
- Health Tip: When a Stomach Bug Hits
- Multistate Foodborne Illness Outbreaks the Most Deadly: CDC
- Data on Foodborne Disease Outbreaks at Your Fingertips
- Health Tip: Avoid Food Poisoning at Work
- Fish-Related Food Poisoning in Florida Under-Reported
- Summer Spurs Calls to Poison Centers
- 2nd U.S. Ice Cream Maker Pulls All Products After Listeria Threat
- Recalls of Ice Cream, Hummus Spur Listeria Warnings
- Health Tip: Cancer Treatment Makes Foodborne Illness a Bigger Concern
- U.S. Officials Pinpoint Common Sources of Foodborne Illnesses
- Health Tip: Avoid Raw Dairy Products
- Health Tip: Keep Bacteria Out of Your Kitchen
- Health Tip: Keep Certain Foods Isolated
- Mouse Study Suggests Antibiotics May Aid Salmonella's Spread in Animals
- Lunchbox Hygiene Helps Prevent Foodborne Illness, Expert Says
- Poorly Packed Lunches Can Cause Food Poisoning
- Grill Safely This Holiday Weekend
- Food Handlers Cause Most Food-Poisoning Cases
- Yelp Can Help Spot Food Poisonings at Restaurants
- Salmonella Cases Dip in U.S., But Food Poisoning Rates Remain High
- Restaurants Pose Double the Risk of Food Poisoning Compared to Homes: Study
- Health Tip: Protect Against Salmonella
- Illnesses Traced to Uncle Ben's Rice; Commercial-Size Packages Recalled
- Disinfectants Can't Defeat Salmonella in Food-Processing Plants: Study
- Expert Serves Up Turkey Tips for a Healthy Holiday
- Health Tip: Enjoy Raw Seafood Safely
- Shellfish Toxin Spreading to Eastern U.S., Report Says
- Health Tip: If You Get Food Poisoning
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Food Poisoning
- Health Tip: Prevent Food Poisoning in Baby Food
- Lessons Learned From Cantaloupe-Listeria Outbreak
- Health Tip: Avoid Food Poisoning From Seafood
- Mexico Farm Tied to Stomach Bug Back in Operation
- Cases Reported in Stomach Bug Outbreak Top 600
- Health Reporter Nearly Killed by Food Poisoning
- Cases in Stomach Bug Outbreak Continue to Climb
- Health Tip: Foods That May Harbor Listeria
- Company Tied to Stomach Bug Outbreak Stops Shipments to U.S.
- Stomach Bug Outbreak Cases Top 500
- Stomach Bug Outbreak Grows, Bagged Salad Implicated
- U.S. Health Officials Still Tracking Source of Stomach Bug Outbreak
- Cyclospora Infections: Are You at Risk?
- CDC: Investigation of an Outbreak of Cyclosporiasis in the United States
- Social Media Helps Pin Down Source of Foodborne Strep Throat Outbreak
- Health Tip: Keep Food Safe
- 61 Now Sickened in Hepatitis A Outbreak Tied to Frozen Berry Mix
- Listeria Food Poisoning Hits Elderly, Moms-to-Be Hardest: CDC
- Number of U.S. Foodborne Illness Cases Stalled: CDC
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- 'Moderate' Red Tide Expected in New England This Summer
- 'Cruise Ship Virus' Also Sickens 1 Million U.S. Kids Yearly
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Foster Farms Chicken
- Health Tip: Avoid Food Poisoning
- Fish Like Grouper, Barracuda May Pose Food-Poisoning Risk
- What Food Made You Sick?
- Salmonella Cause of Most Foodborne-Illness Outbreaks: CDC
- New Strain of Norovirus Spreading Quickly in U.S.
- Veggie Burgers Recalled Over Listeria Risk
- Trader Joe's Recalls Frozen Chicken and Rice Dish
- Harmful Bacteria Found in Samples of U.S. Pork
- Health Tip: Talkin' Turkey
- Food Safety Tips For a Worry-Free Tailgating Party
- Peanut Butter Recall Expands
- Trader Joe's Peanut Butter Recalled Nationwide
- Kroger Recalls Spinach in 15 States
- 3 Dead in Listeria Outbreak From Ricotta Cheese
- More Benefits of Breast Milk Revealed
- Health Tip: Defrost Meat Properly
- Health Tip: If Your Child Develops Food Poisoning
- Deaths in Salmonella Outbreak Traced to Cantaloupe
- Health Tip: Protect Against Food Poisoning During Pregnancy
- 8 Tons of Kids' Lunch Wraps Recalled Over Listeria
- Onion Recalls Continue
- The 'Five Second Rule' Is a Myth
- 33 Sickened by Salmonella Linked to Ground Beef: CDC
- Beware of the Potato Salad: Preventing Foodborne Illness in Summer
- Dole Recalls Bagged Salad Because of Listeria Risk
- Infant Dies in New E. Coli Outbreak
- Salmonella Concerns Prompt Baby Spinach Recall
- Nationwide Recall of Bagged Salads Expands
- USDA Unveils Plans to Stem Food-borne Illness
- Health Tip: Have a Safe Picnic
- Imported Foods Causing More Disease
- Raw Milk Causes Most Illness From Dairy Products: CDC
- Hard-Boiled Egg Recall Hits 34 States
- Study Finds Bacteria in Unused Paper Towels
- USDA Issues New Safety Rules for Beef
- Health Tip: Don't Let Holiday Turkey Make You Sick
- Raw Cookie Dough Ready to Bake, Not Ready to Eat
- Can of Soup a Day Linked to High BPA Levels in Urine
- 2 More Deaths in Listeria/Cantaloupe Outbreak
- Listeria Outbreak Now 2nd Largest in U.S. History
- Ground Beef Recalled in 14 States
- Listeria: Are You at Risk?
- 8 Dead From Listeria-Contaminated Cantaloupes
- Death Toll Rises From Listeria in Cantaloupes
- Second Listeriosis Death From Contaminated Cantaloupes
- Listeria Forces Recalls of Ready-to-Eat Chicken, Meat
- Recalled Cucumbers in Your Fridge?
- 27 Tons of Turkey Burgers Recalled
- School Band Instruments Are Bacterial Hot Spots
- Ground Beef Recalled in 10 States
- Skippy Peanut Butter Recall: Salmonella Risk
- Year-End Flurry of Food Recalls, Illness
- 1 in 6 Americans Gets Food-borne Illness
- Egg Recall: FDA Finds Salmonella on Suspect Farms
- Egg Recall: Trail Leads to Iowa Firm
- Egg Recall: Frequently Asked Questions
- Egg Recall Expands; CDC Expects More Illnesses
- Salmonella Outbreaks Spur Nationwide Egg Recall
- Iams Cat Food Recalled
- Frozen Meals Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
- Ground Turkey Recall: 36 Million Lbs., Among Largest Recalls Ever
- Summer Barbecue: Heat the Meat!
- Interpreting Dates on Food Products
- Can Your Kitchen Pass the Food Safety Test?
- Start at the Store: 7 Ways to Prevent Foodborne Illness
- Travel: Is Water on Planes Safe?
- Food Safety: How Safe is Imported Food?
- Diseases from Animals: A Primer
- Salmonellosis, Frequently Asked Questions
- Eggs Safer from Salmonella?
- Salmonella from Raw Meat Alert
- Cruising with Confidence
- Salmonella Enteritidis Infection (Egg Associated)
- Cooking A Turkey Is A Family Affair - How to Avoid Food Poisoning
- Key Cutting Board Rules - Avoid Food Poisoning!
- Food Contamination - Choosing & Preparing A Healthy Dish
- Tips for Avoiding Food Contamination
- 7 Tips for a Healthy Picnic
- Traveler's Tips for Safe Water
- Traveler's Tips for Safe Eating
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter