Signs and symptoms of food allergy include an itching feeling in the mouth, tingling lips, swollen lips, swelling in the tongue and throat, difficulty swallowing, and problems with breathing. When the allergens (the substances that provoke an allergic reaction) are digested or absorbed in the bloodstream, other associated symptoms can result. These can include asthma with wheezing, hives, rash, eczema, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or vomiting.
Cause of food allergies
Both genetic and environmental factors may cause a food allergy. Food allergies involve the activation of the immune system as in other allergic reactions.
Other food allergy symptoms and signs
- Abdominal Pain
- Difficulty Breathing
- Difficulty Swallowing (Dysphagia)
- Itching in the Mouth
- Swelling in the Tongue and Throat
- Swollen Lips
- Tingling Lips
Main Article on Food Allergy Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Allergies Quiz: Symptoms & Home Remedies
What are the causes of allergies? This online quiz challenges your knowledge of common food and household allergens,...
Could I Be Allergic? Discover Your Allergy Triggers
Allergies are an overreaction of the immune system where the body's defenses react to substances such as pollen, food and more....
Preparing for Severe Allergies at School
Help your child manage and prepare for severe allergies at school. Protect your child from food allergies, insect stings, and...
The Most Common Food Allergies for Kids and Adults
What common food allergens cause the most problems for adults and children? See this list of common food allergies and learn to...
Examples of Medications for Food Allergy Symptoms and Signs
- Adrenaclick (epinephrine)
- Antihistamine Shots (Injections)
- Antihistamines (Oral)
- bronchodilator-aerosol oral inhaler
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
- Does Immunotherapy Work for Allergies?
- EpiPen (epinephrine auto-injector)
- Ondansetron (Zofran) vs. promethazine (Phenergan)
- Side Effects of Periactin (cyproheptadine)
- Symjepi (epinephrine)
- Vistaril (hydroxyzine) Side Effects, Warnings, and Interactions