Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Anon., Published: August 29

For years I have been on, off or switching statins because of muscle pain. Most recently, I was prescribed pravastatin 10 mg which was eventually increased to 40 mg for my familial hypercholesterolemia. It's an older drug and took a while to cause the same old problems. This May, I had such severe muscle pain in my hamstrings and thighs that I asked my primary care physician for a CK (creatine kinase) test and stopped the statins. My CK levels were only 700s so I can't imagine what other people's pain would be like, because mine was debilitating. I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis immediately but the findings were inconclusive as I did not have kidney issues. I still cannot sit on a wooden or metal chair without a pillow. I am only without pain when I stand up. I continue to drink 15 glasses of water daily because the pain increases when I don't. The fatigue is terrible requiring naps. I am in physical therapy but because I have mobility, the therapist told me to go to a gym and get pain management and that there was little she could do. I am disgusted with her but will continue therapy as prescribed because the muscle atrophy is unacceptable for my age level. Be careful with statins and weigh your health options. The cardiologist is giving me 6 months to heal but in November I will need to try an injectable statin as the cholesterol levels are dangerously high.

Comment from: zouhair, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Couple days ago I was stung by a scorpion in the middle of nowhere. I was in a fishing trip with a friend. It was scary but luckily I found a guy there who had been stung about 20 times. He tied my hand, made a small cut, and sucked the blood off it. He told it will burn awfully and I may have some climate change in my body, like feeling the rain and snow and sometimes feeling so hot. It did but my hand stayed numb for 14 hours. I didn't go to the hospital.

Comment from: Samuel, Published: April 19

I started having nose bleeding when I was 10 years old and continued till I was 21 years old. My father too does have nose bleeding. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes and there is no pain; my dad just asks me to hold back my head, and then it will stop. I started having nose bleeding again about two years ago. Any time I carry heavy load with my left hand it will bleed just for a moment and clog without pain.

Comment from: Patspix, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with first with Salmonella typhi. They are double checking the results on the Washington State level. We are waiting to hear the results on that. My attending doctor at the hospital last week, found the results of Salmonella typhi. The county health inspector says I have Salmonella para typhi. All I know is I keep a food diary of what when, and where I eat. According to my diary, and the incubation period, it points to a Chinese restaurant where I ate a beef and broccoli. The owner/cook at that cafe took a recent trip to China and back. I believe that is the culprit. According to our County Health Department there is nothing we can do. So that is my story. I spent five days in the hospital and almost died. First symptoms were; head ache, achy joints, and constipation and low grade fever. At the emergency room that evening, I started diarrhea and didn't stop until the doctor finally diagnosed Salmonella typhi and put me on antibiotics and I got better enough to go home Saturday. We are waiting for the states redoubling tests results and was told they won't tell me the results! So next week we will call the visiting the doctor and hope he can get answers so they can stop this restaurant and carrier before they kill someone! I ate at the suspect restaurant on 2/1/16.

Comment from: Paula, Published: May 28

I had a heart attack. It started with a couple of days of off-and-on chest pain right in the center of chest. So I thought it was heartburn. I talked myself into thinking that for two days. On the third day I told myself if this kept up I had better go see a doctor. So I went all day with chest pains off and on. I was up watching TV at 3:00 am thinking my chest was hurting more than earlier in the day. So I tried to lie down when I felt this very bad pain in my chest, very tight feeling which then traveled up to my jaw. I also felt sweaty and sick. So I woke my husband and had him call 911. The paramedics were at my house very quickly, started an IV, and got my pain under control. I had 90 percent blockage and a stent was put in. My advice is, if you have chest pain go to hospital or call 911. I'm doing well now on maintenance medicine.

Comment from: BJ, 55-64 Male Published: June 14

I am having constant dull lower right abdominal pain and tenderness for over a week.

Comment from: wendy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

I seem to have trouble eating many types of fruits and vegetables together. For instance I made myself a 'green' drink, containing lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, a pear, also some ginger. I blended this together and drank it. Within half an hour I felt my face burning and my stomach was hurting and I felt very nauseous. Eventually about 2 hours later I did feel much better, however that evening I experienced extreme itching on my inner wrists, ankles and ribcage.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male Published: August 17

I am a 49 yr old male. I have experienced food allergies for the past 10 years. I am allergic to certain breads, rice and regular milk (including cheese). I will get a stuffy nose, which interrupts my sleep at night. I take ibuprofen, which helps as an 'anti-inflammatory' to open my sinus passage to breath better for sleeping. I'm alright if I consume these things during mid day, so by night time it will wear off, but I can't later on during dinner. I have been using lactaid milk for eating cereal, which I am able to tolerate.

Comment from: TiffanyAC, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

Symptoms vary depending on the allergen. Some foods have caused anaphylactic reactions, while others have caused severe stomach pain or pressure in the ears.

Comment from: Codger Bear, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I am a 67 year old male. When I eat soy, I get hoarseness, bladder irritation and bloating. It was real hard for me to figure out the cause, because soy ingredients are present in most processed foods. Restaurants tend to have almost nothing that doesn't contain a soy ingredient.

Comment from: mickey66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I am a 45 year old woman and I have had a tree nut allergy since I was 8 years old. It started with swelling in my mouth and lips and tingling. Over the years the symptoms have gotten worse and it now affects my throat and my esophagus has spasms and restricts swallowing. At the age of 35 I developed an oral allergy to pineapple; symptoms are itchy mouth and lips. My daughter has many more food allergies than I have, she has peanut, tree nuts, apple, other fruits and meats. She was tested for allergies and none of these came back positive, there is no explanation why.

Comment from: itchyskin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am 40 years old and have terribly itchy skin problems, which is known as hives. I can say that I'm allergic to tuna, shrimp, laundry detergent, heat, and water. The doctor gave me a special cream that I applied to the itchy red bumps. It didn't disappear easily and the rash seemed to multiply. Anyhow, just try to avoid all the things that might trigger skin allergies. Use lotion or moisturizer that has oatmeal in it and take an antihistamine as a simple prevention.

Comment from: Nanbey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Since I was in my late tweens I have suffered from what I later felt was exercise induced allergy. I would exercise and begin to feel tingling in my face, my hands would swell and it felt like food was stuck in my throat. I would stop and the symptoms would go away after 20-30 minutes. About an hour later I would get the chills and shiver uncontrollably for 10-20 minutes. I had no idea about the Oral allergy syndrome. Once all I did was go for a short walk to the store and my symptoms got so bad that I had the feeling of helplessness. It is a good thing that two concerned ladies stopped to help me and drove me home. I ended up throwing up 5 minutes later.

Comment from: wealitah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 19 years old and am allergic to chocolate, wheat, fish, colouring and coconut. Anytime I eat these things especially wheat and chocolate I get something like ringworm on my skin, or I get high fever which can lead to me having a seizure.

Comment from: Sarah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Spices cause severe stomachache, diarrhea, itching. Pork, nuts, and especially sunflower seeds cause severe swelling in the throat with difficulty to breathe, vomiting, and a running stomach.

Comment from: Hyegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

About 1 1/2 hours after I had a poppy seed bread (made from an ethnic bakery) with a very high concentration of poppy seeds, I began to have a severe headache, disorientation, and vomiting. That allergic reaction lasted 6 hours, but took the rest of the evening before I began to feel better.

Comment from: jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

My allergist says that some of my allergies are so severe, that it causes my imbalance.

Comment from: rkml, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I'm a 47 years old female, I'm experiencing itchy and small bumps. I think it might be talipia (fish). I ate it for many years a nothing ever happen. I spoke to the pharmacist and she said even though I never had an allergy problem before it can start later in life. I plan on stop eating the fish and monitor my skin. It's mainly on both arms, inner knees, and small areas on my stomach.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 43 year old male, just starting to get food allergy reactions to my lips and just above my lips and below my nose area. There is no pattern, but the frequency is starting to increase. I notice the reaction starts about an hour after breakfast (I typically eat cereal), and sometimes at night. Just tonight I had a reaction (I ate shrimp and grilled chicken at Chili's). Willing to bet it was the shrimp. My lips stay swollen for about 24 hours. Benadryl doesn't seem to help much. I am also a public performer and I'm getting nervous of this happening in front of a group of people.

Comment from: dvshdee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

As soon as I swallow something with an allergen in it, my throat starts to itch and then sort of feels numb. Have been able to keep throat open to get benadryl in with ice. Most of the time I am able to feel the sensation on my tongue as soon as I begin chewing. If I do end up ingesting a trigger, I get sort of a drugged feeling for about an hour, and then will present with hives from head to toe. Palms and soles of feet itch the worst!

Comment from: Kholo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I started swelling and developing acne that formed round paths like ringworms, itching and irritating. i had them on fingers and elbows. I went to the doctor he said its allergy but he couldn't tell me what type. So he gave me antibiotics and cream and within 3 days they disappeared. So they back again. I can't figure out if is food allergy or not. No family history of allergy.

Comment from: Joanne, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

My son is 10 and just started to show signs of a food allergy. We can't figure out what it is from. He gets itchy under the chin and tight in his throat. We give him an Pro-Air HFA treatment and in abut 20 min. it seems to calm things down. When it happens, we check the ingredients. In the past, he has been affected by artificial lemon, store bought mashed potatoes(Bob Evans), microwavable mac and cheese(Hormel). We think it must be some kind of preservative but we can't figure it out.

Comment from: Headache, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

The allergic reaction I am having to food is in the scalp. If I eat diary, foods made out of wheat, sugars, processed foods, almost all fruits, and caffeine; my scalp will hurt and sometimes bumps will appear, and it will itch very badly and it also causes hair loss. I can eat all meat, all green foods and some nuts and some beans without an allergic reaction. I can also eat sourer dough bread.

Comment from: beachbaby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

After eating scallops one evening the following day (not same night) I was having a hard time breathing and tightness in my chest. Also severe sweats. I went to the hospital thinking something was very wrong but was told it was only anxiety and was released. A few days later I ate one of the leftover scallops and the same symptoms appeared. They were from a restaurant so I don't know what they cooked them in.

Comment from: veronicamz5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have passed out 4 times. My doctor put a heart monitor under my skin. Now they say it's food allergies to pork, beef, and lamb.

Comment from: CCCC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

After eating ketchup or some processed sauces (including spaghetti sauce), my stomach will produce large amounts of acid, and I vomit. My nose runs, my eyes water, my insides are upset, and my whole body hurts. Benadryl, Prilosec, TUMS and pain medication will help, but it takes about an hour to start working. Other foods I've had problems with: Nitrates/Nitrites (lunch meats, bacon, etc) MSG plus all of it's other names Bell Peppers Melons Sulfites, plus vegetables treated with them (I avoid salad bars because of this)

Comment from: acid, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I cannot tolerate acids as I have food allergies with citrus and vinegar, sometimes tomatoes. I have dry mouth and use a mild mouth wash several times a day.

Comment from: granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

My symptoms include swelling of the throat, lips and eyes. I also have difficulty breathing and sometimes experience an upset stomach.

Comment from: Bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I can't eat any dairy product, if I do I get a sinus infection, sore throat, swollen glands, and a terrible headache. I have to go on antibiotics to get any relief.

Comment from: jesica conner, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am 14 years old. I have been eating and drinking dairy products during my 14 years. Until this past year, everytime I eat dairy products . I feel feverish and my stomach hurts, and of course I throw up and can't stop. So I have been in hospital a couple of times due to drinking milk.

Comment from: Apples, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Itching of tongue and throat, serious swelling of the tongue and mild in the throat, hives on the face and throat and mild abdominal pain. Apple allergy.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter