Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a food allergy. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: KimberleyTin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have lactose allergy or intolerance. I didn't have any idea before I went for an allergy test through teddy can. Whenever I took even a single drop of milk, my stomach got upset and bloated. It was really annoying and painful. After being diagnosed for being intolerant to lactose, I have stopped taking milk though I take curd and I have no problem with that.

Comment from: vinegar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Today I went to a favorite restaurant known for their fried fish and chicken. I ate it for lunch and then some for dinner. After about an hour, I started itching all over my body, face included. I took a hot shower and felt much better and then ate another wing and the itching started again. This has never happened to me before and I am wondering if it was the type of grease they use to cook their food. I have eaten from their restaurant for years and never had this reaction. This is so weird. I don't keep cooking grease in my house but I know I have also eaten foods from all kinds of cooking grease. I know allergies can just pop up on you one day and I am wondering if this is one of them. I took Benadryl and I am still itching a little but it has calmed down some. I used Braggs apple cider vinegar in a spray mist bottle mixed with water and spritzed my body with it also.

Comment from: Sweetlady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Certain foods I eat cause migraines or headaches. I saw a doctor who did testing on me and said I have food allergies and I would like to get a second opinion.

Comment from: Allergy with BLACK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

We tried for the first time black kidney beans and made curry using Indian herbs. My wife got swollen eyes and red face once she had few bites. She is not allergic to nuts. Thought to share with all, never try any new seed/vegetable as they could cause allergy.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My son developed some food allergy of late. He is five years old and his symptom is that his mouth and cheeks swell whenever it is triggered. But I have noticed that the symptoms can be seen only when he wakes up in the morning.

Comment from: pammy27573, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I wonder what could be causing my lips and my face to swell! Perhaps salt could be the cause! After I eat, maybe 5 hours later, my mouth and lips feel numb and then swell up a lot, as well as my jaw!

Comment from: Chichi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Over the last several years, I have noticed that I get bloated and my stomach hurts really badly as soon as spring starts. The pain goes away around August. I have never had allergies, as far as I can tell and I am wondering if I have developed any type of allergy to food or the environment as I am out more as soon as winter is over.

Comment from: Iowaguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I developed an allergy to fish at the age of 32. Eating fish gives me hives, respiratory tightness, and difficulty breathing. I had eaten fish up to that age with absolutely no problems. To this day, I do not have any trouble with shellfish. After about two years of no fish whatsoever, I tested myself with salmon. Amazingly, I do not experience the allergic reaction with salmon. All other fish -- tuna, halibut, tilapia -- still give me an allergic reaction.

Comment from: kentuckygal19, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a 40 year old female. I have had seasonal allergies since I was 13 years old. I Did have allergy shots as a teenager and stopped shots at 19 years old. I had very few problems until I had my 1st child. I had a very bad asthma attack and had to start back on over the counter allergy medicines. In the next 10 years have had at least 10 sinus infections a year, so they started me back on allergy shots last year. January of this year I am still having lots of congestion, stomach problems, and ear problems they tested me for food allergies and I found out I am allergic to wheat, soy, cows milk, eggs, white potatoes, tomatoes, corn, mixed nuts, and peanuts. I have eliminated all these from my diet and wow what a difference in quality of life. I have spent hours relearning how to cook but I feel like a brand new person. I haven't wheezed once since I have begun avoiding these things. I do miss the foods a lot, but with food challenges have found the ones I absolutely can't have no matter what and ones I can enjoy once every little while with just a few liveable consequences.

Comment from: June, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 49-year-old female who has had bouts of breaking out with hives for the past two years after eating shrimp. It has been infrequent and not really a life-adjusting problem. Recently, we ate at a Chinese restaurant and I had fried shrimp. An hour later, I went hiking and broke out with severe hives. I had swollen eyes, and my tongue swelled to the point of not being able to talk. I raced uphill one mile to get to the car and made it to a drugstore with my husband. The pharmacist gave me Benadryl and called the paramedics because I passed out. After waking, I was taken to the emergency room and given more meds to reduce the swelling. This was life-threatening. Now I carry an Epi-Pen with me at all times. The doctor said it could be fatal the next time.

Published: July 09

I have suffered from asthma since I was 13, as I have gotten older, I find that any dairy products and anything with oil like butter and mayo, frosting will set off my asthma as soon as it hits my mouth. I will feel a tingling and then start choking. I try extra hard to stay away from that stuff that never seemed to bother me before. I could drink lots of milk but now I only drink soy because milk makes me sick to my stomach and causes lots of stomach symptoms. I can no longer tolerate fried food either. This started about 5 years ago. I'm 41 now, can my body start rejecting other foods that I need? Is there something in all those foods that is a triggering agent?

Comment from: laila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have skin allergy. I get my allergy when I eat fish that I think is not fresh. Now it's very itchy.

Comment from: Foodie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My problem is intermittent for years. Last few years though more pronounced with headaches, nausea, indigestion, dizziness, fatigue, and almost always my stomach upset goes with the headaches. I have given up wheat because it seems to help but now it seems other foods may be causing trouble. So tired of not feeling well. I had a leftover curry shrimp and chicken last night that I made and this morning had an egg omelet with veges, small amount of cheese and cooked in butter - dairy trouble? I now have those symptoms but also woke up not feeling well anyway!

Comment from: Prissy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

An hour ago I had a poorboy. I eat it frequently and never have had a problem, though, this time I did notice the meat was pink. My usual outbursts develope when vegetables are cooked in a sauce, or as any side dish form. I trully believe that the food is cooked to quickly or not well at all and my body takes quick notice (on my face, hands,or scalp) Never together or all at once. Benadryl absolutely works!

Comment from: mazs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My experience with food allergies is after digesting, or in some cases smelling gluten, soy, and peanuts, I get big, blistering, itchy hives on my chest, back, stomach, knees, and sometimes scalp that scab and remain for up to a week. It's not pleasant. Also, my throat feels as if it wants to close up, and I have a difficult time trying to catch my breath.

Comment from: Lewis rd, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

My daughter has been tested for 60 different types of food, but we still don't know what is causing the bump on the inside of her lip. We have to give her Benadryl for two days to keep the swelling down. She is very upset because she is being so cautious about what she is eating. She eats all-natural foods with no dyes or artificial colors or flavors. We think that raw red peppers are one of the bad ones.

Comment from: dee dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Since October I have been experiencing swelling and itching on the upper lip that eventually subsides and becomes a dark, itchy rash. I have seen an allergist and been tested for latex, dental medications (since the reaction occurred after a dental visit), as well as spices, such as curry, oregano, and tomatoes. All have come back negative or within normal ranges. The reactions appear to occur after spaghetti sauce, and to Kentucky Fried Chicken. I am still lost, and so is my doctor, since the food diary has not helped.

Comment from: Confused, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have never had food allergies until recently when I ate a caramel apple with peanuts and started having a reaction. I developed hives on my lips. It was strange because the only thing I've ever been allergic to is pollen and your typical spring allergens.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have had severe reactions to sunflower seeds twice. The first came from a trail mix and began with my throat itching. Then my throat closed about half-way and I began to vomit. On the way to the hospital I broke out in huge hives on my hands and elsewhere. An adrenalin shot ended the attack but I didn't feel well for about a week. The second time was from a whole-grain muffin. I first got a very sore throat, hot flushing and vomiting. Again adrenalin took care of it. I now carry an epipen and question ingredients in restaurants.

Comment from: Nurse01, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have never had food allergies before until now. It started a few months back when I went out for lunch with my friends. I have always been known as a picky eater, therefore I stick to foods that I am familiar with. It was shocking to see me develop swelling in my face, eyes, lips, hands, and even my feet. It even caused me to miss days from work. I went to an allergist and they drew my blood and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now I do not eat foods I do not prepare myself but I still have reactions from time to time. Things that I used to eat frequently are no longer an option, even some things I prepare myself are still causing reactions.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: September 25

I have an allergic reaction about once every month. I have been tested by an allergist and they cannot find out why. My mouth swells inside the lining of the lips and outside the lip area. It stretches out so much and burns excessively to the point that I have to go and get injections of Benadryl and steroids. I had an attack on Tuesday morning Sept. 22, 2008 and it still has not gone down. In fact my face is swollen around the lip area. Monday night prior to the reaction, I ate hot fudge cake. I read the ingredients and it said allergy note: this product contains wheat, soy, and milk and egg. I can't figure out why this happens. And it's different foods that I eat.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 26

We had several doctors who did not even consider the possibility of a food allergy. My son was treated for asthma for several years before an allergist did a scratch and blood test that showed us exactly what his allergy is: Eggs. He has been egg-free for almost a year now, and we no longer go to the emergency room over simple colds! I never even considered a food allergy until a friend suggested it. Why are doctors so reluctant to even suggest it?

Published: July 17

My suggestion is to get a complete allergy test using your blood. This will let you know what foods and environmental things that are affecting your body. It is very complete in letting you know what is causing allergy symptoms. I was surprised to learn all my favorite foods I was allergic to.

Published: June 18

I have a young child with several proven food allergies which shows itself through severe eczema. Also she has always had soft stools and tummy ache. I breast fed and had to watch my diet. At that time we only new about milk then came nuts and now soy, bananas egg whites and a couple more. My question is whose care should this child be under? She was under a children's clinic for 1yr before any results. Her skin can become so bad and her itching that she has to be sedated. She was referred to dermatology. She is on several antihistamines, steroid creams and antibiotics.

Published: June 09

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with swelling on my face and or lips. One time it might be the upper left of my lip, next it might be the lower right, or could be the entire left and/or right side of my face. One time the left side of my tongue swelled, one time my whole tongue swelled. I thought it might be from citric acid, but I never get any hives or other symptoms.

Comment from: Prissy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

From 18-21 years. I had outrageous outbursts of hives, at first itchiness all over my entire face and scalp, and then hands. I scratched, rubbed, and bit my lip for comfort. When completely intolerable I would bathe in cooler water. I was astonished to not recognize my-self. My forehead was huge with no nose bridge! Nor eyelids. My top lip hung over my bottom. One big puff ball for two days, just like the movie hitch. I later found out it was mostly veggies, fruit, and wheat. Mid 20's not so allergic to food except when not cooked well.

Comment from: trsmith, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have been allergic to eggs and peanuts since I was 2 years old. I am now allergic to milk to a certain extent. Latex and milk makes me break out. I cannot even touch the ingredients, or I break out and swell up.

Comment from: puzzled lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

When I eat any dairy product or foods combined with dairy, after an hour or two I get stomach pains and immediately run to the bathroom. Lately, I have been experiencing runny nose or have post nasal drip for a few days after having dairy. I also smell something unusual (not pleasant)from my nose and when I sniff it out a whitish jelly like substance comes out.

Comment from: Tinkbus33, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I peeled a raw peach from its skin and ate it. I haven't had one in years, but I had no known problems before. Around an hour later, my hand went numb. Minutes later, I could barely breath, and my eyes burned. My eyes swelled shut and my nose ran. Now I know I have a food allergy to peaches!

Published: June 30

My food allergies start when I eat very spicy Mexican food. First I get gas, then I hear loud noises in my stomach, then I have a severe itch somewhere on my body for a few minutes. Then I get this warm sensation through my body in waves, and my breathing slows down. It's a little hard to swallow.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter