Folliculitis is a common skin disorder that involves the hair follicles of the skin. It does not involve areas of the body where hair is not present.
Signs and symptoms of folliculitis include
- clusters of small red bumps or white-headed pimples that develop around hair follicles or
- pus-filled blisters that break open and crust over.
Associated signs and symptoms can include itchy, burning skin, painful or tender skin, and if areas of folliculitis grow closely together, a large swollen bump or mass.
Causes of folliculitis
Inflammation of the hair follicles causes folliculitis, and it occurs in areas such the face, scalp, chest, back, buttocks, groin, and thighs. Bacteria or irritation such as shaving, chafing, chemicals, ingrown hairs, or drugs can also cause folliculitis.
Other folliculitis symptoms and signs
- Clusters of Small Red Bumps or White-Headed Pimples That Develop Around Hair Follicles
- Itchy, Burning Skin, Painful or Tender Skin
- Large Swollen Bump or Mass
- Pus-Filled Blisters That Break Open and Crust Over
Main Article on Folliculitis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which bacteria cause food poisoning, sexually transmitted bacteria, and more....
Fungal Skin Infections: Types, Symptoms, and Treatment
Fungal skin infections and fungal nail infections produce symptoms like red, itchy, circular rashes and thick, discolored, flaky...
Picture of Eosinophilic Pustular Folliculitis
Children with this rare disorder develop repeated crops of pruritic erythematous papules, yellow or white pustules, which vary in...
Picture of Folliculitis
An infection of the hair follicles of the skin. See a picture of Folliculitis and learn more about the health topic.
Top Foods for Healthy Hair
Top foods for healthy hair include salmon, green vegetables, beans, nuts, poultry, eggs, whole grains, oysters, low-fat dairy...
Yeast Infection Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
How much do you know about vaginal yeast infections? Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatments of a yeast infection with the...
Examples of Medications for Folliculitis Symptoms and Signs
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic Side Effects
- clotrimazole, Lotrimin AF, Gyne-Lotrimin, Alevazol, Desenex, Pro-Ex Antifungal
- Diflucan (fluconazole)
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Doryx)
- Keflex (cephalexin)
- ketoconazole, Nizoral, Extina, Xolegel, Kuric
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- metronidazole cream (Noritate, Metrocream)
- minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin)
- terbinafine (Lamisil)
- topical clindamycin (Cleocin T, Clindagel)