Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Diagnosis

How was your folliculitis diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Granny8, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was hospitalized and on a ventilator 8 weeks earlier this year. As a result, I have a tracheostomy and it is infected with pseudomonas. We have been treating it with different antibiotics with flares. Three days now, I have had a rash on upper chest, upper to mid back sides, and lower legs. And I'm really sore around my neck where I must wear a tracheostomy collar. Nurse practitioner diagnosed folliculitis.

Comment from: mommy_03, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had my 3rd child about nine years ago, and one day I seen that I had a red bump on my tummy. So called the doctor and made an appointment to see her, so told me I had Folliculitis which I didn't know what the hell was talking about. So she told me to use this soap and I'll be fine, but guess what it came back. So the next step was pills and it never worked either. I wish they could find something to help because it's nasty and if you even try to pop it hurts like hell.

Comment from: heplmydaughter, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My daughter is 7 years old, and she was diagnosed with folliculitis. At first, it was a bacterial infection, then folliculitis. She itches her scalp until sores develop. I've tried over-the-counter shampoos but to no avail. Her doctor said he could not find anything medically for her age for him to prescribe for her. I find this unbelievable. She also has a very dry scalp. This has been going on for about six months now.

Comment from: wolfman , Published: October 31

I had outpatient surgery on my throat, and now I can hardly move. I am stove up all over.

Comment from: Nancypp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I've been stung by bark scorpions in southeastern Arizona about 15 times over 10 years (including twice just 3 weeks ago), and it hurts somewhat for 2 hours, but this time was different! My tongue and throat swelled within 15 minutes, then I got severe, painful stomach cramps that lasted a full hour. Twenty hours later faint cramps returned for a few hours. Possibly it wasn't a scorpion at all, but I know what the sting feels like.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed and the dermatologist prescribed Luxiq foam. Betamethasone valerate .12% It helps enormously. My scalp is greatly relieved.

Comment from: Samsammah, Male Published: December 17

I'm 18 and I've had folliculitis all over my scalp for years. This is the worst thing ever, having a haircut is so embarrassing! I've used every cure u can think of! I even paid for a private doctor in Holland and it still never cured it! It's the worst thing ever. I got big red bumps that bleed and also yellow and white spots all over my scalp. Makes me feel irritated and disgusting.

Comment from: concerned mom, Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My 2 year old started getting bumps in the creases of his legs right before the fourth of July. We thought he may have gotten bit by baby spiders due to this bag of clothes from the previous year that we had not washed and let hi, wear, they were clean clothes but had been in a clothes bin for the winter and could have had small bugs or something we could not see. When we first took him in he was treated for bites after the bumps did not go away he was treated with a liquid steroid. When that did not work it was suspected he may have scabies and was treated two times in a row with Promethiam cream. It still has not gotten any better so we took him to a dermatologist and they suspected molluscu contagiosum. They took a skin biopsy and found folloculitis to be the issue. We have been treating him with tea tree every night before bed and a dose of Benadryl for itch relief.

Comment from: billy w., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have suffered with folliculitis most of my life, though only on my scalp/crown area. I have found Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner from Holland & Barrett to be fantastic -- it takes away all of the itching and seems to stop the constant flare-ups. I leave the conditioner on for about five minutes to give it time to work.

Comment from: Hapamom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I started out with folliculitis on my buttocks which went away after a few weeks. Later I developed it on my neck, chest, and back. It became painful and itchy leaving flaking scars and welts. I was recently diagnosed by my dermatologist. Since my folliculitis is fungal I am using an anti fungal gel for 2 weeks and then as needed. They also asked me to use dandruff shampoo as a body wash once a week. My skin is difficult to manage since I already suffer from eczema. I dance and go to the gym a lot and the sweating makes it worse. I've been getting treatment for one week. I hope to see more improvement soon.

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: maggiemay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My folliculitis was determined by having a biopsy because my dermatologist thought it may be a basal cell carcinoma (BCC) or a cyst. It appeared on my forehead as a raised white bump with a fine blood vessel below. She thought the bump and blood vessel was a classic BCC. I had this bump for approximately 6 months before the biopsy. It remained the same size for that time period. The biopsy literally removed the bump.

Comment from: LaLa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I get horrible razor burn and it seems to be mainly extremely dried skin that feels like it is splitting and feels like a bunch of tiny little cuts. However, I have discovered this great product called Razor Burn Freedom for Women from Swedish Skin Care. I apply it right when I get out of the shower and these problems no longer occur.

Comment from: rammyrams, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

My doctor thinks I have folliculitis but I am experiencing swelling, pressure and tenderness and pain under my right arm. I don't see anyone else with these symptoms? He asked me if it gets red I said yes but that is it just redness not pimples or bumps or anything else just redness. I'm confused.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My wife has been diagnosed with folliculitis around her genitalia, inner thighs, and buttocks. After using the prescribed treatments there was no change. She then went to a dermatologist to find out she was misdiagnosed and she actually had "Molluscum contagiosum." The dermatologist then used liquid nitrogen to freeze off the blisters/bumps and has had several treatments to prevent new ones and spreading. The treatments are working well and are almost done.

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures