Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: EddieM29, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

Chronic bacterial folliculitis is often a misdiagnosed condition of actual atypical psoriasis. If you google psoriasis of scalp you often only see the extreme versions. My scalp would have these red hot inflamed hair follicles that if left alone would develop pustular head (like a pimple) that could be popped (yellow pus) and they would be very painful and diffuse on my scalp. For this reason I had 5 or more cultures and 2 follicle biopsies that stated that this was bacterial folliculitis. I am a physician myself who has been afflicted with this horrible and stubborn disorder. I have been on 7 years' worth of antibiotics; mostly chronic minocycline, and rounds of Bactrim or clindamycin and others for flares). I had gone to 3 dermatologists and 3 infectious disease specialists who all told me I needed antibiotics for life. The 4th dermatologist I went to was the only one that really understood that my scalp had pinpoint spots of atypical psoriasis. He did a 3rd and final scalp biopsy and sent it to a dermatopathologist who specialized in atypical psoriasis and lo and behold; Atypical psoriasis. Therefore what I had and what I suspect a lot of people actually have is atypical mild psoriasis, which makes the hair follicles very red, hot and angry, which in turn makes them become super-infected and pustular. Regular steroid cream in the past didn't work (prescribed by dermatologists). Enstillar foam worked. It's a very powerful vitamin D analog and also has a steroid. Overnight, the follicles went from beet red to white, and in about 3 nightly sprays, they are normal again.

Comment from: wemmoss, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

I have had folliculitis for a couple of years. The antibiotics keep it away for a few months but it keeps coming back. My doctor said it is under the skin so only antibiotics can work. I have found a shampoo/body wash which kills the itching by 99 percent after 4 days. It is called Benchmark Thyme and you can get it on Amazon or eBay. I kept off my antibiotics for 3 weeks and the shampoo cut the spots/lumps down to 5 to 7 a day and I would not know I had folliculitis if I did not feel my scalp. I leave it on my scalp for 10 to 15 minutes each day, give it a good soft rub into the scalp. It worked to help me have a few weeks free from antibiotics and I would use the wash and not take the antibiotics if folliculitis did not make my hair fall out.

Comment from: 57 year old female, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I have been fighting folliculitis since I got into a hot tub 11 years ago. It started on my legs and torso then my arms. I went to a dermatologist and they treated me over the course of two months with creams and antibiotics. Since then I am battling boils that develop in my groin area, buttocks and upper legs. It is very painful. I use antibacterial soap, and an antibiotic topical cream. I have been treated with oral antibiotics too which cleared it for about 2 months. After the boil clears it leaves a dark spot on the skin that never seems to go away. This is an awful thing to live with. I avoid pools, and wearing certain types of swimwear. When I exercise it seems to irritate the bumps. I guess there really is no cure and I need to learn to live with the flare ups.

Comment from: x, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had terrible scalp problems from folliculitis over the past 28 years, whenever my hair has been a bit long. When my hair is short the scalp problems go away. I believe it is fungal; yeast, to be specific. I have started using white vinegar on my scalp. Do not get it in your eyes. I also have intestinal yeast problems with extreme anal itching. I apply white vinegar to the area to kill the yeast and relieve the itching. The vinegar works to kill fungus.

Comment from: Marion, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had itchy scalp and pustules for four years. I tried everything including antibiotics. Dermatologist said the folliculitis was due to stress. It wasn't. My hairdresser gave me the relief I needed. It is now 3 weeks and hardly an itch and no scabs and pustules. Take baby shampoo 1 teaspoon, mix with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub in to scalp, as in peeling massage. Wash off. Take 5 to 10 drops pure tea tree oil and rub in to scalp. Take a small amount of coconut oil and rub over the tea tree oil. Cover your head with a scarf or shower cap and leave on for at least an hour or overnight. Wash off with baby shampoo. Relief at last.

Comment from: hf, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

I have noticed a lot of mildly itchy red bumps in my upper arms, usually involving a hair follicle and lately, also in the chest area. I have always suffered from acne, but now my face is fine, I don't know if it could be related to these bumps. I have also noticed that a lot of the red bumps involve a tiny new hair that is growing, in areas where I didn't have hair before. I wonder if it is normal to have some redness from new hair follicles of if it is folliculitis.

Comment from: Leni, Female (Caregiver) Published: January 23

Folliculitis is merely a symptom! Check for lupus, after that clean up your diet and drink much water. Eat fruits and vegetables. Eat more fish; wild caught. Selsun shampoo will help. Reduce stress.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had itchy scalp breakouts for years, dermatologists have told me it was folliculitis and one said acne of the scalp. I did the antibiotics, which didn't help. I started losing my hair about a year ago, and it has gotten worse the last couple of months. I did a little research and came to the following treatment. I started taking biotin a little over a month ago, and recently started using Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo and taking CandiGONE for overgrowth of yeast in the intestines. After a week on it, I have noticed a big difference, I have a lot less breakouts, and though my hair is still falling out, it's not as bad. I read up on the supplement Viviscal and it looks promising but I haven't tried it yet. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: RitaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with folliculitis after going in a two person hot tub one time. Two others in our group also entered the hot tub multiple times, and it did not affect anyone else. Two days later, I was covered with red spots mostly on the mid and upper sides and front of my torso (where I was covered with my one piece swimsuit) that slightly itched. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and antibiotics.

Comment from: Jane6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had folliculitis on my scalp for 6 years. I lost a lot of hair. Doctors tried antibiotics for months, which did nothing. I told them I believed it was fungal. Wearing a hat while running created the problem and then a fungal infection on my chest spread to my ears. My skin looked burnt and skin was falling off my ears and they were bleeding. It is still like that 4 years later along with outbreaks of folliculitis on neck, etc. Nodes on scalp and behind ears swell and burn and itch and liquid oozes onto my ears and neck which makes them flare again. Scalp is itchy. Doctors refuse to try any more treatments. They told me people don't get yeast or fungal infections on their skin or anywhere; it is unheard of they said. Yeah, okay. I am using an antifungal cream I got from someone and that helps clear my ears and neck. Doctors refuse to do cultures or tests. They offered SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Hello, I am not depressed; just frustrated that they won't do what they are paid to do. Allergist said it was fungal and asked them to do culture and sensitivity testing but my doctors refuse. I don't get it. I will be bald at this rate.

Comment from: Folliculitis gone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had scalp folliculitis for the past three years. I had convinced myself that it came from a brush I borrowed from a friend. I went to dermatologists and internists. Antibiotics would improve it slightly but it always came back. I decided to accept and live with it until my hair started slowly falling out. I was worried that if I continued to lose hair people would see the sores. The new dermatologist put me on spironolactone 50 mg twice a day. My hair loss has improved. To my surprise, the side effect of this drug for me was that my folliculitis has 100 percent disappeared. I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me. It did take a few months of taking the drug. There are other side effects as it is a mild diuretic but for me it is worth it. I know some people who take it when they break out after quitting birth control pills. I figure it can't be that harmful. I hope if you try it you have the same result.

Comment from: SGG, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

My folliculitis started about 1 1/2 years ago, no idea why. I didn't know what it was at first because I've long been very sensitive to any trace residue of shampoo and have had to rinse extremely well. I thought it was that, gone worse, for a few months. Then I spotted an actual pustule. I saw a dermatologist who said it was yeast that my body was producing for some unknown reason. It would enter the root area of the hair follicle and cause an irritation. He assured me there was no cure though it was possible it would go away on its own eventually. I used the antibiotic shampoo he prescribed, the liquid he gave me to ease an irritated spot, the alcohol saturations I came up with on my own, all to try and manage it. Added to that Dial Spring Water bar soap and that helped a bit, too. I had to alternate everything I used to get the best benefit, but nothing was curing it. Then, near the end of January 2015 (this year), I had the flu. I developed a sinus infection as a result and saw another doctor. He gave me two injections (a steroid and an antibiotic, I don't know which antibiotic) and sent me home with a prescription for azithromycin. I started the azithromycin 5-day treatment the same afternoon, 2 pills (not sure now if I should have waited until the next day due to the antibiotic injection) and followed up with one pill a day for the next 4 days. The folliculitis began to improve immediately but I've learned not to get excited about a temporary improvement. However, it's now been over 2 weeks and there's still no sign of the folliculitis. (Hope I'm not jinxing it by saying so.) I guess it's too soon to celebrate but I am hopeful. I'm also wondering if there should have been some testing done to see for sure what type of folliculitis I have/had. Much luck to everyone suffering with this. I know full well how much more it affects your life than anyone who has never had it could ever imagine.

Comment from: WRMC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I went to a dermatologist and he said I had nothing. Then to one that said, in one second, 'You need to see a psychiatrist'. Then a wound specialist said I had scabies, but he contacted the second dermatologist. He then told me that he wouldn't prescribe anything and to see a dermatologist though I told him I had seen 2 already. He diagnosed me with psychogenic skin disease (a psychiatric diagnosis; that is purposely picking and gouging my own skin!) In Urgent Care, for my heart a doctor put my primary diagnosis as, insect bite, but only did a cardiac workup. None of these many medical staff looked at my skin except from 2 to 3 feet away, nor did they look at my samples. They were disrespectful, condescending and some were hostile to me. Today it is 1-22-2015. I saw the 1st staff in the fall of 2013! In November 2014 a doctor gave me numerous doses of Stromectol for scabies, with no success. I finally found a doctor, out of this area, who touched my wounds, examined them closely, treated me respectfully and professionally and diagnosed me with (untreated) folliculitis and prescribed antibiotics. I have scars all over my body, I've avoided people, fearing I'd infect them. It's been anxiety-provoking. I've felt depressed, hopeless, helpless, and it has been an itchy living for 15 Months!

Comment from: eric, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My husband has been suffering from folliculitis for about 25 years. It has pretty much spread to entire back, shoulders, etc. He never had it on the scalp as I read a majority of sufferers had. He has been to the hospital, and been part of a study with no help of any kind. Nothing kicks this horrible rash. Today, it is at its worst, we were originally told that a round of antibiotics should kick it and here we are so many years later with no healing at all.

Comment from: Phil M, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I had folliculitis for about 18 months. I've been seeing doctors and dermatologists, who prescribed me cortisone, antibiotics and different lotions. All were temporary solutions. I found out myself that instead of trying to nuke it with these medicines, I went the other way and tried to soup up my immune system. I used vitamin A tablets and zinc tablets, as well as garlic and echinacea. I also rubbed vitamin E cream on my skin and Sudocrem (high zinc nappy rash cream) and this method finally beat it. Hope it helps someone else.

Comment from: helper, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

For folliculitis, shampoo and condition, then use original Listerine, the yellow one. Dilute it with water and spray on scalp, leave for 5 minutes and then rinse.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have had folliculitis on my scalp for 7 years and I am at the end of my tether with it. I am constantly on antibiotics but it doesnt seems to let up, it smells, weeps and is very itchy, and I even have bold patches.

Comment from: Gurinder S., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I found folliculitis cure and this is very simple. After suffering for 7 years finally I found one. Take 1 table spoon turmeric and 1 virgin coconut oil two times a day in the morning on empty stomach and evening after food. Take 1 table spoon turmeric mixed with curd and eat in the afternoon 1 hour before food. After the 2nd day you will start getting result. Do this around 15 or 20 days or you can do more if you want.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have folliculitis on my scalp and face. I have been treated by a dermatologist only to have this return. Now I discovered a Chinese herbal system consisting of two products Fu Li Kang clear lotion and Li Kang cream. Using them together has produced significant improvement. This is not expensive and can be obtained on eBay! I found this by a personal 4 year trial of several products.

Comment from: hemant, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered from this infection from around 1.5 years back. Initially I thought it was dandruff caused by change in my shampoo but later I visited my dermatologist and she prescribed my with 2 pills of 100 mg Doxil, one after breakfast and another after dinner plus Xevor 5 mg after dinner with vitamin A tablet daily for fifteen days . It worked for me. Cetralik mild shampoo was also advised twice a week.

Comment from: Years of experience, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I've had folliculitis for years. The dermatologist diagnosed me just from looking at my breakouts on my scalp. Sometimes I wonder if I was diagnosed correctly. My scalp mostly gets irritated and itches and then breaks out in pimple-like sores and sometimes boils. Through the years, I have tried many things. I have found a method that makes my outbreaks very manageable and much more infrequent. When my dermatologist told me to put Mupirocin ointment up my nose daily, I thought he was crazy and I didn't do it. He said that the nostrils are actually the "host" for the infection. I spent years in misery and then I thought, what do I have to lose? I started putting the ointment in my nose every day. It has made a world of difference. Next time a doctor tells me to do something, I'm going to listen. I also use an OTC acne medication on the breakouts called Acne Free. Acne is a form of bacteria also and this system works great. I hope this will help some of you fellow sufferers. I know it can be very frustrating.

Comment from: L-boogie, IN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 35 year old African American female. I have had scalp folliculitis and KP skin (chicken skin) for some years now. Both got worse after the birth of my 2 children. Not to mention a mild case of traction alopecia. It's as if my skin just hates life. I went to the dermatologist and I just keep getting cortisone shots in my scalp. I can't take it. Tea Tree oil seems to work best on the scalp folliculitis. I don't dilute it. After I wash my hair, I put it on. It really helps with the inflammation. I have shaved my hair off. They say it doesn't have much to do with diet, but I've found on days when I've had too much sugar and/or carbs, my scalp itches like crazy. I've done some research and found people who suffer with folliculitis may be producing too much DHT as well as too much protein is being clogged in the hair follicles. Try Salicylic Acid, Green Tea. Both have shown some improvements in folliculitis. Neutrogena has some products out there that have the salicylic acid in it. Natural food stores have some herbs that block DHT - I haven't tried yet, but when I do, I'll come back to this site and share what I've found.

Comment from: Wayne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 53-year-old white male who is dealing with folliculitis for the first time. It started as a few bumps on the right side of my scalp near my ear. It has spread to about 50% of the right side of my head and a few bumps toward the back of my head. The itching is insane! I first thought it was a reaction to a change in shampoo, but after going back to my usual brand and having new bumps continue to crop up over a three-week period, I went to my family doctor yesterday and got this diagnosis. He is treating it with Doxycycline. I also have a yeast infection on my upper thigh/crotch that is itching badly. Because these two things are unusual in a man my age and in my condition, he is going to do blood work to check for diabetes, as he says these conditions could be a signal of that. I'm hoping it's just a fluke!

Comment from: dah02d, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My African American husband has folliculitis that is constant due to ingrown hairs. He has been taking antibiotics for over a year since he first saw a dermatologist. He also used topical antibiotic creams. Yet, none of this helps because the real culprit is the ingrown hairs. The prescribed treatment is like putting a tarp over a hole in the roof. The hole remains until the roof is fixed. I am presently at the computer 4:57 am because he has been up since 2:00 am. He is constantly trying to pluck the ingrown hairs out. He is irritable, in pain, and frustrated. Is there something that can be done for my husband? He started with laser surgery, it became too expensive.

Comment from: uncomfortable, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have been dealing with folliculitis since an early teenager, going to the dermatologist at first thinking I had gotten something from a toilet seat. Then, as I got older, it got worse, moving from my inner thighs and buttocks to my stomach and now my arm pits. It is so incredibly painful to sit sometimes. Mine tend to be larger than pimple size, almost like boils. Sometimes they open up, leaving a hole and sometimes they just itch and go away. I have a particularly bad flair up right now so I'm heading to the dermatologist yet again. I've been before, getting a wash, cream for morning, another for night and oral antibiotic, but couldn't afford to keep doing all that. Now that I read what they recommend, knowing that it isn't going to be something that will likely be "cured.” I think I'm going to spend the money. It has to be worth it to prevent me from feeling this way when it flares up. I tend to get it more in the summertime which isn't fun because mine always scars, leaving dark spots in my bikini, butt, leg, underarm and breast area. It really sucks to be quite honest, but if this will help anyone who is suffering with the same thing to not feel so alone, then it's worth me writing! I'm going to the dermatologist tomorrow and if my treatment really works this time. I will post again what she recommended. Good luck to those of you out there with this it's no fun to say the least!

Comment from: I hate folliculitis , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have folliculitis from my waist down (mostly on my buttocks and my hips), and it's so painful to sit, let alone put pants and underwear on. I am always covered, usually from head to toe (sometimes even wearing sweaters during the summer), as I don't want anyone to see the pimple-like things on my body. It's embarrassing, and I wish they would go away, but nothing I have tried has helped. It seems that the more I try, the worse the situation gets. Anyway, I am looking for a dermatologist who would actually listen to me, as I have gone to several and the only thing they tell me is to exfoliate, which serves to no avail. So I hope that this time around I can finally find a doctor who can help me get rid of this nightmare.

Comment from: kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My doctor has diagnosed folliculitis. The red lumps are all over my legs. He says it was caused by my using a hot tub at a hotel. He suggested I wash with diluted vinegar twice a day. This does not seem to be helping, and in fact, it appears to be getting worse.

Comment from: wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have discoid lupus with head lesions and thought I was experiencing an outbreak until the itching became more and more intense. Folliculitis feels to the touch worse than it actually looks. The bumps multiply and are pink until they scab from the constant scratching. I have been on oral antibiotics and topical steroids. The process of healing, for me, is very slow. Ice helps the itching. I noticed it is much worse when I am hot and toward the end of the day. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! It is miserable.

Comment from: Ladyguest, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I might have folliculitis on my scalp, for about two years now. I am wondering if any of the others posting in this forum have or had a pilonidal cyst and/or cystic acne along with folliculitis.

Comment from: Pafour, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have chronic folliculitis in my left lower leg.

Comment from: robert, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed with folliculitis in the pubic hair just above the penile root, however that pustule has been there since birth.

Comment from: juju, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My Husband and has very coarse hair. My husband only uses a T-Outliner to shave and only shaves 3 to 4 times a week. He uses no razors, it cuts too close so the hair retracts back into the skin!

Comment from: Jimmy J, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I have what has been diagnosed as folliculitis on the shaft of my penis. I have had it for years and am now getting very self-conscious about it. Is there a self-treatment I can do on my own?

Comment from: littletrio, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had folliculitis most of my life. I'm currently 38 with severe scalp folliculitis. I have tried Bactrim w/ clindamycin and erythromycin with no luck so far. I've thought about metronidazole topical.

Comment from: Lisa G, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have suffered from folliculitis since I was a teenager. I am now 31 years old, and it has gotten progressively worse. It started out just on my thighs and occasionally my buttocks, but now it appears anywhere from my buttocks to my forehead. I had surgery when I was around 27 for an outbreak underneath my arm that was so painful I could barely raise my arm to get dressed in the morning. Needless to say the surgery left me in just as much pain, only for the breakout to occur again six months later. Sometimes it gets so bad on my buttocks and bikini area that I become totally uncomfortable with being intimate with my partner. It's embarrassing, and I'm pretty much open to trying anything to make it go away.

Comment from: Jorge, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 26

I have folliculitis, and I hate it because they are big pimples on my back. My back looks ugly. Sometimes it hurts a little bit. They are red. I hope one day they are gone. I have some hair on my chest, and the pimples want to be there too. It's horrible!

Comment from: liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have folliculitis. They are very similar to fire ant bites when the skin is broken and liquid drains. Nothing itches worse. They are mostly on my legs, arms, and shoulders. My tiny bumps itch like crazy, bleed, scab, and have discoloration like bruises. My legs are awful; they're very embarrassing. I am frustrated beyond belief.

Comment from: blessed02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I was told by a dermatologist that I had folliculitis approximately 16 years ago. I underwent treatment. I am now 47, and my hair will not grow past a certain length.

Comment from: Beleaguered, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

Please tell every single or teen whom you care about to avoid the suffering I have experienced. Over 20 years ago, I slept with a woman, only once, who took off her clothes, revealing pimples all over her legs. I had pimples before. No big deal, right? It's just that she had more than the average person. Did not want to hurt her feelings by rejecting her. Big mistake. She knew she had a problem and she lied about its severity and its communicability. She knew I was likely to contract it and she said nothing. Since then, I have spent well over $10k on Hibiclens alone (topical soap used by surgeons to scrub, with persistent anti-microbial properties). I buy it by the gallon. Plus, launder all garments and linens daily, 6-8 full loads weekly. Never use the same towel or sheets more than once, never wear a garment more than once. Started on buttocks. Could maybe have eradicated it then if I had understood. Now it's in my scalp. I have it on the run, no pustules over most of my body. Maybe 1 to 3 moderate pustules in my scalp at any given time, but hopefully waning due to disciplined application of Hibiclens. The problem is that you cannot adequately understand, fear, and respect this condition until you've suffered through a severe invasion, then it is too late. The severity is what it takes to motivate you to adequate discipline. My wife caught it from me. She left, lives alone now, and did not change her sheets frequently enough. Now she has a worse case than when she lived with me. I would like to tell all young people this: To get sex and intimacy, a person will lie to you about his/her health and knowingly give you a disease. Also, you know to protect against HIV and herpes, but there is more that can spread during a sexual encounter, such as skin infections. Promiscuous sex is not worthwhile.

Comment from: True Athlete, 13-18 Male Published: January 12

I am an 18 year old biracial Polish and African American. I have eczema and severe dry skin. During my freshmen year of high school at 14 I noticed some point during football practice I began to get bumps on the back of my head. Later they began to grow larger, spread, and cause severe pain and sometimes bleeding. I found a year later it was folliculitis. I did not wash my helmet enough and developed this skin problem. I have had this problem for 4 years. My doctor prescribed clindamycin and benzol peroxide. The creams seemed to only have little affect and cause severe itchiness. I did take Zithromax, which seemed to be the only way to get the swelling down some. I hope someday that it will go away and quit bugging me. I just wish I knew to keep my helmet clean and this could have all been prevented.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been suffering from Folliculitis for several years now. My rash first started on my chest and spread to my back, arms, and legs. I started getting large bumps on my arms and realized that it was cellulitis, so I finally went to the doctor. Although mine is one of the rarer cases that can't be cured, medication is showing a bit of improvement. The inflammation has not gone away but it's not as bad.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had this condition for about 2 years now. I have been given many creams and nothing has worked. I have now been given a course of antibiotics, but from reading everyones experiences nothing seems to work! I just want it to go away it's very depressing!

Comment from: smlaughlin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I'm 21 years old and have had folliculitis since I was 12. I never really understood what it was because I also have eczema, so I always used to think they were kind of the same thing. Now that I'm a little bit older it has gotten much worse. I have it all over my arms and thighs. I won't wear short sleeves or shorts because of my folliculitis and I hate wearing a swim suit. Whenever I do, someone always asks me what is wrong with my skin. This condition is honestly the worse ever. I wish someone could help.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

At first a small pimple like bump was noticed under the skin about one inch away from my anus. It remained for many months without pain. Recently it developed as a big hard lump under the skin and very painful when pressed.

Comment from: moola32265, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have very severe boils all the time on the butt and inside of my thighs. I have tried meds from my doctor, but nothing helps. I have also tried salt baths and bleach in my bathwater. Nothing helps.

Comment from: pudding, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have had this for 2-3 months and all I thought it was me suffering from spots, but then they started looking horrible and it was all over my chest I had it on my legs. I have had 3 books of tablets and 2 lots of creams now I am on some new tablets which with my fingers crossed will help the worse bit in all this is when they came on my face. The best thing I use is an aquas cream. I put it on all the time and it helps. Hopefully next month I will go out round town with out worrying about looking like a spotty freak.

Comment from: Mazi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have folliculitis on my cheeks and it is very painful. I am embarrassed because my complexion is light (African American) and the patches on my face are black. What can I do to ease the pain and fade the discoloration?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I went to the dermatologist last week because I had an irritated scalp for quite awhile. My hairdresser said it looked like pimples. The doctor said they are pimples; infected hair follicles. She gave me prescription antibiotic foam to use twice a day for two weeks. It's called "evoclin". Of course, it took out all of my hair coloring. Now I'm a bright blonde! It dissolves right in and isn't sticky.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter