Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your folliculitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am a female 57 years of age. I have struggled and suffered for years with folliculitis and nothing helps. Dermatologist visits for 4 or 5 years, biopsy, compound medicines, ointments and gels (makes itching worse), antibiotics, you name it, I've tried it! I have horrible scarring on my upper back, and right arm, moving to lower legs. Itching is mostly in summer and with sweating. I can feel the same blisters coming. Will try vinegar, peroxide, and bleach home remedies next. Thank goodness for long sleeve swimming shirts!

Comment from: jb1949, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I got the diagnosis of folliculitis with the use of a biopsy. I was given treatment with a Medrol Dosepak (steroid). Antibiotics do absolutely nothing for folliculitis. I had it so bad my arms looked like I had measles and I had large boil like sores on my neck and arms. Dermatologist had me on antibiotics for three weeks. I went to my family doctor and he prescribed the steroid which took care of it. He also gave a shot for the terrible itching.

Comment from: Ste h, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

When my folliculitis started it was in late summer. It appeared on the sides of my torso where there is little hair, and I initially thought it was insect bites! Soon it spread to my chest and one arm only. It wasn't itchy or sore but very unsightly. I went to my doctors who diagnosed it correctly and gave me antibiotics. This reduced the redness but did not get rid of them. I tried dabbing the spots with hydrogen peroxide which stung badly for a few seconds but did start to dry them out. I then tried white distilled vinegar, and when air-dried I applied liberal amount of antibacterial hand wash, the clear gel you can find in hospitals. Again this stings for a short while but I saw improvement in a few days. I continued this treatment twice a day for 2 to 3 weeks and now it has almost all gone!

Comment from: psoriasis? 2013, (Patient) Published: August 13

Try detoxing 2 or 3 days a week for a month or two, then try washing up with black soap. My folliculitis breakouts used to go away after a few weeks, but stress and aging makes it last longer. I'm trying black soap to remove the bacteria from my skin.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had recurring folliculitis in my pubic region. My primary care physician prescribed an antibiotic ointment, which was tacky in texture, messy to apply, messy within my underwear, and did nothing to control the oozing of blood and pus from an erupted lesion. The last time I got all the lesions to clear up, I started wiping the affected area down with a tissue moistened generously with simple rubbing alcohol every night before I went to bed. I haven't had a recurrence in eight months. It may not work for everyone, but at least it's cheap to try.

Comment from: Sully , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I've struggled with folliculitis for years and it got to the point I rarely left my house from the scars and just look on my face. It's been horrible. My once clear skin is riddled with large scars and it's horrible. Insurance says it's cosmetic! To leave the house when folliculitis rears its ugly self is at times paralyzing. That isn't for cosmetic reasons, it's to feel normal again. Shame on them.

Comment from: Jens, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I've suffered from folliculitis for more than a year. From the start I used a cream called Betnovate with chinoform, firstly 3 times a day, then twice a day and after about 5 weeks once a day. In addition to this twice a week I used a shampoo called ketoconazole all over my body and left it on for 4 minutes before washing it off (shower). The cure seemed to work, after the first 3-4 weeks there was a clear progress, but then it took a long time, about 10 months, before it was nearly gone. At that time my doctor diagnosed me with rosacea and prescribed 2 Tetralysal 150 mg a day for 3 months, an antibiotic. Shortly after my starting this cure, the folliculitis came back "in force", so my doctor told me to start the cure all over again. At the same time she took a biopsy of the infected skin and I am waiting for the result. And I expect soon to visit a hospital specializing in this kind of skin problems. My experience in this is, if you get this problem, demand a biopsy, so the doctor brings up the right cure from the beginning.

Comment from: Gift, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am 21 years old, I have folliculitis in my private parts. I have had it since I was a kid, probably at the age of 5, on my buttocks then slowly it progressed to my private area. I have managed to control it with the use of medicated wash that has 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, white vinegar and camphor lotion. Now I have started taking antibiotics because it's pointless to treat it externally when the root of the infection is internal. I don't have a cure for it but keeping my pubic area clean at all times really helps. I'm not sure about shaving, I just find it easier to treat it once I have shaved.

Comment from: Jamiel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

As the name implies, pseudofolliculitis is condition that mimics folliculitis. After battling it for well over ten years, I recently found a solution to the problem that affected my face, chin, and neck. I recently started to use a device called the BumpBan to treat razor bumps (pseudofolliculitis barbae) on my chin, face, and neck. My girlfriend gave it for me as a gift. It cleared up my bumps in under two weeks and has kept them off ever since.

Comment from: Paulina, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

The best remedy of all is baby powder or medicated powder. Apply it all the time all day long on the affected area. Do not use creams, oils, or anything else. The dryer the skin, the faster will heal. It should take just few days to see the results. Do not let the skin wet not even for a minute. The same treatment works for dermatitis, folliculitis, nail fungus, and any other skin issue.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter