Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Wezzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I know this is hard to believe but even my family thinks the flu vaccination jab caused this. After I had my flu jab I went to Tesco, 5 minutes' drive from where I live. I went so dizzy I went home. I was sitting on my bed talking to my friend on the phone, and I kept saying my eye won't stop watering, it was very blurred and sore. This went on for days, then I got this floater in my eye and it's really bad. No one in the medical profession has seen anyone having this but my family all said it was too much of a coincidence.

Comment from: Johnson P, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

September 2018 I received a high dosage flu vaccination along with the pneumonia vaccination. Prior to this time flu vaccinations had no ill effects upon me. My shots were given in the left arm and initially I had no reaction other than a very sore arm where the shot was given. However within a week my left leg was numb and gradually I started having extreme pain in my left shoulder and my left leg. It is now January 2019 and I am still having immune system problems.

Comment from: Bobbi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

Every year I get the flu vaccination shot the pain gets worse. Last year I woke up in the middle of the night with pain shooting into my neck, shoulder blades and under my breast. I remember thinking next time it's going to get to my brain! I have decided to listen to my gut and not get the shot this year.

Comment from: Iryna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had flu vaccination shot in December 2018. Two days after, I started with a barking cough. It is not getting any better. Now a month later I have bronchitis and have to take antibiotics. I was never that sick prior to getting the flu shot. I feel like I'm coughing my lungs out. I'm losing at work since I have to take nonstop sick days. They are saying flu shot prevents you from being sick and saves on OTC medicines. For the past month I got more medicines then for 10 years before that.

Comment from: Virginia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had the flu vaccination shot in December and immediately felt off like something was wrong. Next day I had severe pain in joints and lower back, I thought I could deal with it but then my right knee swelled up and hurt to the point I was limping. Doctor gave me arthritis medicine which helped with joint pain but now I have a sharp pain in the back of my right knee and along the inner part of the knee all the time and my left elbow feels weak and is painful if I lift or move something with a little force. I was fine...

Comment from: Marc, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had the high dose flu vaccination injection in October. It is now January 22; 2019. I am still having severe hip and leg pain which began right after the shot. I have gone to my doctor, had cortisone shot, and it did not help. I now have a lifelong unceasing pain from that flu shot. We are all being injected with poison!

Comment from: CavemanCarl, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

My wife got her flu vaccination shot in October and I did in November 2018. We both had them a couple years before and never had a problem. Starting with 2 or so days after the shots we both were very sick and it is now January 18th, 2019 and we are both still sick. The doctor is now concerned because she has severe crackling in her lungs. Normally I hardly ever get sick but now we are going on months of illness! Are we guinea pigs for someone! When will this nightmare end!

Comment from: CAL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

This is the first time in 20 years I got the flu vaccination shot. Last time I remembered feeling feverish, etc. It has been over a month now and the day of my shot, the tendons behind both knees were sensitive. Since then, 30 days in, I've had serious issues with my right knee, weight bearing and much swelling and had a low grade fever for 26 days. I only got the shot because I'm around my aging parents. I'll never get this again. People don't believe me when I tell them my knee issue is related.

Comment from: Mary w, , 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My husband has had the new flu vaccination jab on 16.12.18 and has been ill ever since. He started the day after with aching muscles and a cough. Since then his cough has got worse causing him to have really bad headaches and sore ribs. He has been feeling sick and dizzy. I phoned the nurse who said it won't have anything to do with the jab and she's said he would have been coming down with a virus. He was perfectly fine before the jab and didn't have any symptoms at all. He is still weak and coughing.

Comment from: Megson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I had a flu vaccination shot on 11/6/18 and I've been sick ever since. I was pressured by my doctor to get it because I haven't gotten it in several years after a bad reaction. The day after I developed a horrible cough that lasted for 5 nights and I couldn't sleep. The cough was so bad that it gave me headaches. Since the cough went away, I have developed dizzy spells and vertigo and it's going on three weeks now. I've also had several migraine headaches which I hadn't had in a long while. Never again!

Comment from: Kay from New England, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I had a flu vaccination shot just over 48 hours ago. Within a few hours I had muscle aches, fever, soreness in all joints... especially in hands and feet, and a knot in the site where injection was (left arm). I am sick in bed since the vaccine. Fever is finally gone but muscle aches and severe joint pain ongoing. Left hand going into a claw position and it is painful to straighten out. I have leg pain severe and constant stiffness. This is the last flu shot I'll ever get! The past 3 days I felt like I'm dying. I hope this goes away by Christmas... 2 days away.

Comment from: Stick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

My wife and I had the new flu vaccination jab this year. We did not have one last year but the doctor persuaded us. She went down with very bad cold/flu symptoms in 24 hours! I held out till the day after, but mine were more upsetting by giving me sickness feeling in the throat and wind, plus headaches and shivering, etc. She developed a bad cough and that's not good as she has COPD and rheumatoid arthritis. I still cannot eat much as I feel sick like norovirus and she is still weak. This is now day 7. Never again!

Comment from: Cobra38, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 21

I had excruciating pain and weakness of hands, knees and buttocks 4 days after flu vaccination shot that is continuing for 2 1/2 months.

Comment from: Cheryl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had the flu vaccination shot 7 days ago. Since then I have been severely dizzy to the point that it's hard to drive my car. The first symptoms were nausea, red face, injection site swelling and pain more than usual for any shot I've had (that was the first few days). Now I have chronic vertigo, not just dizzy spells. It doesn't go away even when sitting or lying down. It's constant and feels like I'm going to pass out. The nausea is worsening too, and I'm extremely tired. This is really awful.

Comment from: No more flu shots , 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 18

I've never had the flu vaccination shot and have been totally against it until this year as I'm having to take care of both elderly parents who are on hospice so my doctor and my sister both urged me to get this shot. Not wanting to make my parents sick by bringing anything into their home I decided to get the shot. Four days later I cannot talk. I have laryngitis. Now I have to go back to the doctor and hoping they can cure this throat of mine. Not happy.

Comment from: Phil, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had the flu vaccination jab 07/12/18 and the following morning I had a sore throat. I was thinking this is normal, however by 09/12/18 I have been coughing so much that it makes me sick. On 10/12/18 no voice, partner spoke to the doctors and was told I had laryngitis. It is 13/12/18 today and still have it, totally shattered, little or no sleep for 5 days. I am going to see the doctor again after work tomorrow as I'm really dissatisfied. Healthy before flu jab, poorly since.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had my first flu vaccination jab in 2017 shortly after I had a series of allergic skin reactions for about 3 months followed by muscle pain and weakness, particularly in my shoulders, neck and arms, but then affected all my muscles and joints. I had to stop working because of all the difficulties I was having walking, washing, dressing, etc. I am still suffering now nearly a year on and have now been diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. Previous to this I was healthy and rarely went to the general physician.

Comment from: M P , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

I had the flu vaccination jab end of October 18. I had a feeling of my face becoming hot and red 24 hours after. I had the jab in my left arm and since then I had sinus problems on the left hand side; left ear and tooth pain and left side of throat pain. Also the doctor has seen me and likely I have lymph node swollen on the left side of my neck; generally not feeling right. My legs have been weak and elbow and knee joints have been stiff and painful. I have not felt like this before, I have flu inoculation every year and no problem before.

Comment from: Judy65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I got the enhanced flu vaccine on 11/30/18. Three days later I woke up with blocked ringing ears. It is a week since and I am still having ear problems plus weakness and nausea. Worried my hearing will be permanently damaged. I wanted the regular shot but the nurse said the enhanced shot was what I was getting. Thanks a lot!

Comment from: S. , 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 11

My shoulder and tops of arms ache, I had numbness in hands and wrists and still have it. My husband has the same since having this year's flu vaccination jab.

Comment from: copsagon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I thought perhaps it was just a cold I'd contracted a few days after the over 65 flu vaccination jab, now having so many people complain I'm convinced it goes back to the vaccine. I've had catarrh, sinus pain, muscle aches and cramps, night sweats and really bad shivering in the evening. I have had the flu jab for over 7 years now and never had any side effects, but this year I feel really down and ill and it's now over 3 weeks since the injection. I won't bother next year, I'll take my chances without vaccination.

Comment from: Stephen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 11

I have had the flu vaccination jab on a number of occasions and have usually had a very mild cold on the subsequent couple of days. This time I awoke in the middle of the night about 36 hours after the jab and had dreadful diarrhea and have had the runs for three days. I never normally suffer this so I watch to see if others suffer the same problem and shall think very hard before having the jab again.

Comment from: D, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I had the flu vaccine. And two weeks later I have flu, fever, sinus pain, everything. I was totally fine before I got the injection. Didn't have any cold or anything. I've had it every year and not a problem. This year it hasn't even worked. Thanks to NHS cuts. I think they've made a dud injection or half the strength to save money making patients ill.

Comment from: PDiddy1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had the flu vaccination jab in October 2014 and after becoming very ill a few days later I am still suffering with the effects. Numbness and tingling, poor memory, joint pain, teeth pain, tinnitus, vertigo, gastrointestinal problems, the list is endless. I work for the NHS and regret having this jab. Please research and don't feel pressured to follow the crowd!

Comment from: Sonia1959 , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had the flu vaccination jab on 29th September. Since having it my arms and leg muscles feel weak and shaky. My legs feel like jelly, and I am very tired and exhausted all the time. I have seen the doctor several times. When will this go!

Comment from: Rebecca , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I had awful side effects from the flu vaccination. I had 65 plus jab on 24/11/18. I had diarrhea, fever, sickness, and hallucinations. I am still having diarrhea and feeling unwell a fortnight later. Not had the jab for last ten years and won't be repeating the process.

Comment from: Babybaby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I got the flu vaccination shot 11-05-18 and two weeks later I started having bad lower back pain that went down to my buttocks and feet. I'm also having bad sinus problems, my entire body has been hurting, and I'm very tired. I'm nervous and scared, I really hope it goes away soon. My doctor pressured me into getting it. I took it for the first time last year and had no side effects. I will never ever get the shot again.

Comment from: Will, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I got the flu shot two days ago. The pain on my shoulder gradually increased and now it's extremely uncomfortable. The pain radiates under armpit, left chest and shoulder blade and up to my neck. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. This morning I spent 10 minutes to be able to move and get up from bed. Reading all these posts is a relief.

Comment from: Concerned Patient , 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 04

I had my flu vaccine on 17th October. I went dizzy and felt sick a few seconds after I got it. I have never been the same since, aching body, nausea, stomach problems, dizziness, headaches, and generally unwell. I wonder how long it takes to come out of your system. I will never get the flu jab again. We don't know what they are putting in these vaccines. I had the under 65 vaccine.

Comment from: 2018 flu shot bad, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

Seven weeks ago, I had a very painful flu shot, high in the shoulder, given at the pharmacy. I have excruciating cramping in my arm constantly and shoulder pain when washing hair, etc. Pain radiates to elbow and I have a bit of finger tingling. I felt sick for the first 5 weeks as well. Doctors are prescribing painkillers that don't work and ultra sound had no results. I will never get another shot, whatever is happening! I hope my shoulder is not wrecked.

Comment from: truthaboutvacs, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 04

My parents (both over 65) both had the flu vaccine 3 weeks ago and both became ill the following day, my dad has had a cough that won't go and a cold, he was fine before the flu jab. My mum is the same.

Comment from: Feel like crap, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 03

I got enhanced flu vaccination shot earlier today, 11/30/18. Arm is sore which was expected but then I developed stomach cramps and diarrhea. Blood pressure was elevated and pulse went down to 48.

Comment from: Female, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I got my flu vaccine on October 19th and the next morning woke up with a headache at the base of my skull. It's been one month and the headaches can vary. It goes over the top of my skull but it pulls deep at the back of my eyes. Never in my past have I ever got headaches. Aleve, Advil, nor Tylenol affects it!

Comment from: Sunny , 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 27

I had this year's flu vaccine at work (nurse) and 30 minutes later felt faint and dizzy and unable to focus on my computer screen. My eyes started to go blurry sitting down, followed by vomiting and diarrhea. Now 5 days later, I am still unsteady on feet and disorientated with severe fatigue and headache. Never again!

Comment from: Steph, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I received the side effects from your flu vaccination shot on October 22, 2018. Since then I have had weakness and pain in my arm that has moved to my chest and neck. I feel congested with a slight cough, and my throat aches. It's been 4 weeks and doesn't seem to be getting better. I don't think I'll be getting the shot again.

Comment from: Rich, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

My husband had flu vaccination shot in September. His arm is still sore and half the time he can't get it above his head. Now his muscles are affected.

Comment from: Kember, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I got the flu vaccination shot one week ago. I am 60 years old and have never gotten a flu shot. My arm is sore which was expected. However since the shot I am feeling exhausted all the time, with extreme fatigue and sleepiness. I have to work and there are days I feel as if I just won't make it. I hope this passes.

Comment from: Susie Q, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had my flu vaccination jab on 15th November. My arm was a bit sore but I expected that. Two days afterwards I've experienced vertigo and just a feeling of lethargy. I don't know if it is the flu jab but I was fine before I had it, so I don't know.

Comment from: buprincess, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had the over 65 flu vaccination and have had joint pain and fatigue since the day after I received it. I do have osteoarthritis, but this is persistent, and the fatigue is new. My greatest concern is the increasing pain in my left shoulder with decreased range of motion. The vaccine was given there. I am taking Aleve and monitoring my symptoms.

Comment from: Joy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had the flu vaccination shot 5 days ago. I get one every year. I usually get some discomfort in the receiving muscle. Last year and this year I've noticed swollen, painful axillary lymph nodes on the side of my injection but otherwise no other side effects.

Comment from: Phil, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I had my flu vaccination injection 22/10/18 and all I had was a sore arm. One month later I developed headaches, sweating, and lost all the strength in my arms. I couldn't get out of my chair, then my whole body just started shaking. I never had these reactions before.

Comment from: Melville, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had the flu vaccination jab 19th October and to date I am still feeling very unwell and nauseous, with sore throat, swollen glands, and generally ill. This is the second year running, I thought I would try it to see if I was bad again, and I am. I will never have it again. Wish I could get it out of my system because I felt unwell for about 3 or 4 months last year. I believe some people are fine, but there are many that this flu jab does not agree with.

Comment from: DW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had the flu vaccination yesterday 11/16/18 and less than 24 hours later I am feeling ill. I am having back pain, headaches, stomach cramps and diarrhea. I've had the flu vaccine before but never had these bad side effects. I don't think I will ever get another flu vaccine. I don't feel as if the makers of the vaccine are being totally honest about all of the possible side effects. They don't list stomach cramps and diarrhea. I can live with the mild side effects but not this. I feel terrible.

Comment from: newman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had the flu shot 19th October, 2018. I was unwell for around 4 months last year, and I kept a diary. Once the jab was out of my system I felt 100 percent well again. I was persuaded to have it again this year, and guess what, exactly the same again, feeling nauseous, sore throat, nervous and edgy and generally unwell. Never ever again, all these people cannot be mistaken, there are many people I believe have no problem, but also many people that do! The flu jab does not agree with everyone!

Comment from: WorriedMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I just got the flu vaccination yesterday afternoon. My arm is sore like when I get my tetanus shot and has been since an hour after the shot. I have been nauseated and had an upset stomach since I woke up. I have zero appetite, and I just want to go back to bed. My kids had the vaccine Thursday, and their injection sites are sore, and they say they just don't feel good. I have never had issues before. Almost regret getting it, but my son needs it.

Comment from: Worried mum ????, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My daughter aged 24 had a flu vaccination jab Tuesday and today, Friday is ill. She has headaches, severe vomiting, chills and high fever, now 38.8 C. She is so poorly! This is not the only person I have seen with these symptoms after this flu shot in 2018.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am 70 year old female in good health. I had the flu vaccination shot 7 weeks ago. For the first time, I took the higher strength used for older people. Reaction started 2 days later with rash on the face moving to both hands and my right arm up to the elbow. The rash continues and it is very itchy. I have not felt well since the shot. Now rash is starting on my back, buttocks and ankles. I have used many OTC lotions and salves with no end in sight. Medical professional thought it may last until the shot wears off.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had my flu vaccination jab on 9.11.18. Within minutes I felt dizzy, faint, shaking, hot and cold. I told the pharmacist who called an ambulance. I was taken to Accident and Emergency, had various tests, found nothing wrong apart from feeling so unwell and very frightened. The doctor looked at vaccine database and advised I had suffered a rare side effect! A week later I am still feeling achy, light headed and very cross that no one seemed to know this could happen. I had the jab last year and was fine. It's just not knowing how long it will last that's awful.

Comment from: Richie Simo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I had the 2018 flu vaccination jab on Thursday, 1st November, and it gave me sinusitis! I have had two weeks of severe toothache, headache, pressure around my left eye, and a foul-smelling discharge from my nose. Now, I am on antibiotics! Never again will I have the flu jab!

Comment from: hilary newman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am of age 61 and I had the flu vaccination jab on 19th October 2018. I kept a diary last year of how I was feeling after the flu jab because I was convinced it was causing me to feel very ill for some months, and now I am feeling exactly the same this year, feeling sick, anxious, nervous, dizzy, have double vision and am generally unwell. This is now one month after the jab and I am no better. Last year it lasted six months and I wanted to see for sure it was the flu jab this year and it is! They tell lies about it!

Comment from: Tam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had the flu vaccination shot on 10/16. I have been sick ever since and the doctor cannot help. I have cold sweats and sweats after sleeping, fatigue, can't eat, it is hard to drink, and I feel very weak. I am not getting any better.

Comment from: tl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

One week after the flu vaccination shot I have severe back pain and front thigh pain. I cannot walk so far for 5 days. I did nothing to cause this.

Comment from: TH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had the flu vaccine on 12th November. I have had a banging headache and painful neck ever since. Injection site is still very sore. Never had a bad reaction to flu jab before.

Comment from: Dock, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had the over 65 flu vaccination shot 10 days ago. Right away I started having fatigue, aching arms and legs, and decreased appetite. Add to that lower back pain, and now laryngitis and a dry cough that is making me so weak I have to lie down. Feels like flu to me! I am normally active and hike daily, and have a vegetable garden.

Comment from: Susan , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had the flu vaccination today. I feel awful. I have a sore stomach and am so nauseous.

Comment from: Tobyb, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I had a light cold when I went for the flu vaccination jab, and the pharmacist said that it would be okay for me to go ahead with the flu jab, so I did. I have been very ill with flu like symptoms since (last 4 days). Hope I don't get worse!

Comment from: Anna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Over age 65 vaccine was given more than 14 days ago. I am still sick with severe aches, upset stomach, headaches, fuzzy feeling in head, and am very nervous and scared. I wonder if there is anything that can counteract the effects I am having. No fever now, only low grade for the first day or two. I have no energy and no appetite. I am diabetic, have atrial fibrillation, and on blood thinner.

Comment from: Stevet, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I too had flu vaccine a couple of weeks ago from work. I had flu like symptoms for a couple of days. Then couple of days ago I suffered migraine headaches, aches, dizzy spells, cold sweats, shaking and was sick (I have not been that sick in a very long time). I didn't think that it was the flu jab as I usually am ok after a couple of days. I thought it was something else until my wife mention I hadn't been right since flu jab. To date my head is still not right and I feel unwell.

Comment from: Jo , 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

I had the flu vaccination jab a week ago, and within an hour I started to feel achy. The soreness at the injection site has passed, but a week later I still have sore throat, fever, runny nose, cough and have flu, when is this going to end! I am not having the flu jab again.

Comment from: Anne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had the flu vaccination jab 6 weeks ago. After 4 days I had low back pain which is still there. Then 2 weeks later also I had pain between shoulder blades, sometimes in both shoulder blades. Lower back pain radiates into buttocks on both sides. I am feeling fed up and wish I'd never had the flu jab, was fit and healthy before.

Comment from: Taz , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had flu vaccination jab first time because I've had asthma for 2 years and doctors said I need to have one. So I said ok. It's nearly a month now I had a flu jab and I still got aches and pain in my body. My husband had one too, he complained of the same aches and pain in his body, so it must be the flu jab. It feels like I'm really ill and old but I'm not.

Comment from: Mahi, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I'm nearing 40 and had a flu vaccination jab yesterday (06/11/2018) and today I feel sick, having chesty cough and body ache. Last week, my wife (is pregnant) took the flu jab and is feeling sick till date with the same symptoms as mine. Just today after my symptoms, we realized it may be due to the flu jab. So landed here. Too late. First time I'm taking this as we have a little one and didn't expect these side effects. Hoping to get well soon. Just thought of leaving my feedback as it would help others.

Comment from: jwj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I received the flu vaccine on 10/17/18. Two days later I started having weakness in both arms and hands which was intermittent for the next week. This led to fatigue, exhaustion, watery diarrhea, nausea, foggy head, lightheadedness, cold sweats, and trembling. These symptoms have persisted. This symptom profile is consistent with how I felt after the last flu vaccine I received (at least 10 years ago), and following a bout with influenza in 2015 (symptoms last 10 months).

Comment from: Cheese whiz , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I got the flu vaccination shot on 27-October-18 Saturday after running a 5 mile trail race. Beginning in the evening I started getting strong pain in my knees and ankles. By Sunday morning, my entire spine hurt so terribly, taking a deep breath or getting up from a chair was painful. I thought it was the race, but the enduring arthritic pain is so strong. I haven't felt this ever in my ankles/feet before.

Comment from: Sharren, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

Four days after flu vaccination shot, I have a runny nose, cough that hurts very bad, brown mucus coming up, chills and chest pain.

Comment from: kitkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Both my husband and I had flu vaccination jab this past Saturday 11/3. My husband felt tired and had sore muscles almost immediately. I had nausea and pain at the injection site within 2 hours. Sunday we both felt terrible. Now it is Monday, and I still feel like I am ill, plus both of us now have had diarrhea. I am never getting this shot again. This is the first time in years that both of us decided to get the shots as we are around small children at work.

Comment from: JenIndigo2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I received the flu vaccination shot on 10/22/18 and became extremely ill with cramping, diarrhea, flu symptoms, and then severe cold and upper respiratory infection. Today, after 13 days, I am feeling 80 percent better. I have been mostly bedridden and am generally in perfect health albeit a little underweight, but otherwise active and highly energetic. I have not been this sick for this long since I was a child. I am 46 years old and this was my first flu vaccine. Thank you for reading.

Comment from: Helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had my over 65 flu vaccination injection on Tuesday and within an hour had headache, pains in my hands, cough, fever and aching. This is now my 6th day and I still have all these symptoms. I have had flu vaccinations every year for many years with no problem. I am never having this one again! I also am a retired general physician with multiple sclerosis.

Comment from: G123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had my flu vaccination on Tuesday 30th October, and I started with symptoms on Wednesday 31st October. I experienced muscle aches, migraine like headaches, hypersensitive skin and stomach cramps. I've had diarrhea for 5 days and it doesn't seem to be subsiding. I was not given any information about potential side effects from the vaccine.

Comment from: Kate , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I can't believe how having the flu vaccination jab on 2nd of November 2018 affected me this time. I buy a flu jab every year from the chemist. I am not at high risk but decide to buy it myself. I had extreme pain and cramps in my stomach within hours of receiving it. I also had diarrhea and am feeling sick. It is now Saturday and I am still feeling weak with a sore stomach. I feel terrible but hopefully I'll feel better soon. I did not ever think I would have symptoms like this.

Comment from: jpm, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

Since I received the flu vaccination shot I have been fighting diarrhea and stomach cramps. It has been a few weeks now and not digging this. I also had sore arm around the injection site.

Comment from: Riggy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I had my flu vaccination jab on the 12th October, and have had a constant cold since.

Comment from: Grumpy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

It is two weeks after flu vaccination and I was getting over flu vaccine effect, I am now in bed with migraine type headache, chills, sensitive skin, aching joints and muscles, and bloated stomach. I always have a slight reaction to flu jab but not as long as this time.

Comment from: Jmore87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I received the flu vaccine today, 10-31-2018. I immediately experienced stomach cramps and discomfort. My arm is sore (that's normal with the vaccine) but the stomach issues are concerning. I see others have experienced that this year as well. I want to know if it's specific to this year's vaccine.

Comment from: pb, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

I had the flu vaccine Thursday. I started with headaches on Saturday and late Sunday I had a feeling of malaise, and was unwell, aching and nauseous. Monday I was no better, went to work, was sent home and slept for 13 hours. Then Tuesday I was feeling dizzy and had to take time of work. I am never having it again.

Comment from: Gill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the flu vaccination jab on 23 October, as it is expected that I have this as I work with vulnerable people. By 24 October my knee where I had an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) operation 6 weeks earlier was inflamed and swollen and I was unable to weight-bear. All exercises were stopped by the physiotherapist till swelling and inflammation had gone down. Then on 25 October I started with a horrendous cold, sore throat, cough, and headache. This is still lingering today, 29th October. Too much of a coincidence with having flu jab as I was doing well with my leg, and perfectly well!

Comment from: Scannerman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Wow. Me too. I got the old folks flu vaccination shot (66), on 10/26. I am on my 3rd day of diarrhea and a runny nose with post nasal cough and no appetite. I am using fluticasone propionate to deal the runny nose. That's an OTC corticosteroid so what's that tell you! It would only help if there was an immune response to suppress. I always get a flu shot, never had any symptoms. Good news is I lost a pound so far.

Comment from: Ag, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

I received my flu vaccination shot 10.24.18, which I get annually. Three days after the shot, in the morning, when I opened both eyes after woken up from sleep, I felt the house spinning, was severely nauseated, and had abdominal cramping. It felt terrible, but seemed to be relieved couple of hours after. I have never experienced this after receiving shots in previous years. I had history of vertigo once this year prior to the shot but not with associated symptoms. I don't know what's going on.

Comment from: kalatoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had my flu vaccination shot for 2018 on October 1. Today I ended up in the hospital thinking I had an appendix ready to explode. While there I kept hearing if I had been next to someone with a virus. They found my lymph nodes in my intestine enlarged in the area of the appendix. When I took the shot I had the flu symptoms for a good three days. Then it went away. My intestines act up once in a while with irritable bowel syndrome. All I can say with my intestine issues, I'd still take the shot again. I believe the shot is to blame.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

Being in health care last 2 years I got the flu vaccination shot yesterday morning. By afternoon I was exhausted and my legs were very achy. I am still feeling that way and had to keep my plans for the day but felt like staying in bed. I was told it should not cause any side effect. Never will I get this shot again.

Comment from: Frances, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I received my high dose flu vaccine 9/19 in the morn; then on 9/21 in the afternoon, I experienced head stuffiness and nose drip which in a few days turned into heavy chest congestion. So sudden! I had not been anywhere to have been exposed, to the best of my knowledge. Two days after all of this started, my husband experienced the same thing, but with other health issues, his was more severe! For me, my malaise and illness lasted at least 10 or 12 days; for husband, it was about 3 weeks.

Comment from: Simmie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had the flu vaccination shot on Thursday, 18th October. Next day I had severe lower back and hip pain. It was hard to even walk. I had to keep using ice and heat alternately all day to ease the pain. I always get flu shot, and never had any reaction other than a sore arm.

Comment from: Andy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I had flu vaccination injection Thursday 25, October 2018. Twenty four hours later I had very bad stomach pains, diarrhea, was very sick, dizzy and passed out; the worst side effects I've ever had of a flu jab. I am not sure if it's due to the swine flu vaccine in it this year.

Comment from: UPSET AND DISILLUSIO, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

I took my client to his doctor's visit today 10/26. He was having a flu vaccination shot. One hour later in my car he complained of a stomach pain and gas. It wasn't till I got home to find my car seat wet and smelly. He had diarrhea. I wonder if this could be a side effect from the shot. And if so why they don't tell you! I am just unhappy with the whole thing about getting one's flu shot. I personally have not had a flu shot ever in my adulthood. Just felt they should let people know the possible effects.

Comment from: okiecat, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I received the high dose of flu vaccine on 10/18/2018. I have experienced severe joint aches and pain, particularly in my elbows and left knee. However, no digestive system abnormalities like vomiting. Today (10/26/10), symptoms appear to be reduced. I have been under treatment for lung cancer and initially blamed an interaction between the flu injection and cancer treatments. I always receive a yearly flu injection and will continue to do so.

Comment from: Josie, 65-74 (Patient) Published: October 29

I had my flu vaccination jab on 20/10/18. No problems until 2nd day when I became feverish, had a bad headache, nausea and tiredness. Added to this on the 4th day I broke out in hives on much of my body and this lasted for 12 hours. I am still having side effects 1 week on. I do not suffer with headaches and never in my life experienced hives.

Comment from: Jennyfer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I am actually going through side effects from my flu vaccination right now, the back of my head hurts terribly and my stomach is cramping majorly. My neck is real swollen, it is hard to swallow, my ears hurts and I am worried I am having a bad reaction to this shot.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I've had numerous flu vaccination shots but this year (2018) is first time ever for side effects. Mine were pretty intense stomach cramps, diarrhea, mild headache and chills. I just got regular dose. These only lasted a couple days and didn't start until about 24 hours after the shot. Not bad enough that I won't get another shot, but still kind of concerning.

Comment from: Fritz, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 29

I am a physician, and my employer/hospital requires that we all get flu shots or wear a mask all winter. I am in my second day of fever, chills, aches, and diarrhea. It started within an hour of getting the flu vaccine.

Comment from: Marilyn , 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 26

I had my flu vaccination jab on the 23 October, 2018. Twenty four hours after I felt dreadful sore throat, and aching all over legs so painful. I'm now 36 hours later, cough is unbearable, I cannot sleep, and been off work. I am seriously thinking if it was worth it feeling this sick.

Comment from: Malysty5, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

I got a flu vaccination shot on 10/13 and have not felt good since, 2 weeks later. My legs feel sore and weak. It is hard to breathe comfortably or breathe deep. I struggle to sleep. I get an overall body sickness when trying to sleep. I've been to the doctor, and they blame it on anxiety. My lungs sound clear, I had a chest x-ray, and heart is good. Please tell me this will go away! I had a flu shot last year at a different place, no problems.

Comment from: Dar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I received the power dose 2018-19 flu vaccination shot for folks over 65 and several days later I developed severe cramping and diarrhea, very bad headache and running nose, and missed a day of work. Although this has improved some, I am still experiencing loose stools and depression. Not sure if I'm doing this next year. I really do not believe my body is agreeing with this. I am a 65 year old woman with a sensitive stomach.

Comment from: Emel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I received my flu vaccination shot on 10/22/18, which I get annually. Like others, I noticed it burning at the time of injection. I woke up 10/23 feeling unwell with abdominal pains, and slight diarrhea. I am still feeling those symptoms on 10/24 which caused me to search to see if anyone else had these issues. Injection site is still tender.

Comment from: Lola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

It was painful at the injection site days 1 and 2 after flu vaccination. Next day, I feel awful with body aches, mild headache, weakness, exhaustion and diarrhea. Yuck. Better than the flu, though.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had the flu vaccine on 10/19. Initially, it made my arm sore. Starting the next day, and continuing through the third day, I have had achiness all over, headache, dizziness, weakness in my legs, anxiety, and depression. Everything I have read says the aches last 1 or 2 days, but I am well into day 3 with no relief.

Comment from: Bet, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I got my flu vaccination shot on Thursday, October 18th. The next day I started having diarrhea. It is October 22 today and I am still having stomach pains but have been eating apple sauce. I am feeling a little better now.

Comment from: BethWV, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had my flu vaccination on 10/16/2018. The next day I had aching joints everywhere. Just like I had when I tested positive with Influenza B back in April of 2018. Later that day I started feeling nauseous, bloated, weak, and developed watery diarrhea with a massive headache above my eyes. This is now 10/21/2018 and my symptoms have subsided a lot, but I slept for an entire 36 hours. I also had a lump at the injection site that was red and very itchy, along with the typical soreness.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

In the first 24 hours after flu vaccination I felt like one does getting over a bad cold: slight headache, tinnitus, and unable to sleep properly. This ended inside 24 hours. Then the next day both my wife (who also had the flu shot on the same day) and I developed slight stomach cramps, but no diarrhea. I have also got a slight pain in my hip and waist on the same side as the injection site which was my left shoulder. All of these symptoms are mild compared to a dose of the flu. I've never had a flu shot before.

Comment from: Ellrn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 23

My knee was doing very well after an arthroscopy but after the flu vaccination jab I have regressed by about a month. It is quite painful to walk at the moment. I know they say 'joint pain' but this has been a week and no sign of improvement.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 23

I got my flu vaccination shot on 10/13/18, and that evening I felt achy all over, especially the injection site (which I expected). That was Saturday. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, throat felt like it was on fire, scratchy, dry, still achy, and bad pressure headache. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (today), stuffy nose, coughing nonstop, with mucus. Oh and Wednesday night I had the chills going to bed and woke up drenched in sweat so must have broken a fever. How could this possibly be a coincidence right after the shot!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter