Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Val T, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Four weeks ago I had the flu vaccination shot. Three days later I woke in the night with nausea, headache, pain across the back of my neck, and extreme shaking, although I wasn't cold. I went back to sleep eventually but in the morning I couldn't put my leg down without extreme pain. I had broken my femur eight months previously but was walking without a stick for approximately four weeks. Now, four weeks later I cannot move without leaning heavily on two sticks due to the pain in the upper thigh and am living on OxyNorm, paracetamol and naproxen. Six doctors and five hospital visits including a deep vein thrombosis scan and no one knows what it is. I get blank looks when I mention the flu jab. I wonder if anyone else has had these symptoms. I feel that my thigh is still vulnerable and the virus has settled there. The pain moves about the thigh, knee, inner knee muscle, groin, etc. I cannot function like this.

Comment from: Sharonl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had my flu vaccination shot on Thursday, today is Sunday November 12. This is the first time I ever got sick from the shot. I have chills, fever, feel sore all over, sick to my stomach, and just feel totally worn out. No more shots for me.

Comment from: Cindy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had a flu vaccination shot yesterday, November 6, 2017. I started coughing and during the night and today I have had severe aching muscles and joints all over, like when you have the flu. I had to take 2 ibuprofen every four hours to get through my work day. I get a flu shot every year and this is the first time to feel ill the day after. I am a nurse practitioner and I always recommend flu shots to all my patients. I always tell them they won't get the flu from a flu shot. Perhaps I need to start warning them that they might get these side effects!

Comment from: PDX Flu Shot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I received the high dose flu vaccination shot two weeks ago. I have had chills, cough, aches and pains since. If this strain of flu vaccine causes this much discomfort I think I'll take my chances next year with the flu. If I were still employed I would never be able to teach feeling as badly as I do.

Comment from: Flu jab nightmare, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I have had an annual flu vaccination jab for 10 years and have never suffered side effects. The 2017 flu jab I received in October has produced many side effects including muscle and joint pain all over my body, lethargy and sweating. In future I shall not be taking any more flu jabs. I have been taking double rations of paracetamol since I started with an excruciating pain in the palm of the left hand which spread up my arm that had the injection and the muscle pain is over the armpit over the injected arm with muscle hardness which is painful to touch.

Comment from: qe2rn, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

I have never had any side effects from flu shots in the past. However 2017 flu shot has really incapacitated me. I had severe bone, joint and muscle pain to the point where I was bedridden for four days. I missed several days of work and still do not feel much better. I can barely move about without severe pain. The symptoms began four days after receiving the injection. If the flu shot was not a requirement at the hospital where I work I certainly would not be getting one in 2018.

Comment from: PJW, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I got a flu shot and pneumonia shot about 2:00 pm yesterday. I woke up about 3:00 am with an achy arms, especially at the pneumonia shot site, and a scratchy throat, chills, runny nose and general malaise. I am taking an OTC cold medicine to help me through the day. I have never had a reaction to a flu shot before and was not sick when I got the shot.

Comment from: jaxbchgirl2121, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I got the flu vaccine yesterday at the request of my employer (I work in healthcare). In the past, I have never had any side effects afterward. Today, I woke up with a migraine and began to feel worse as the day has progressed. I have felt nauseous, weak and a little achy throughout the day. The headache subsided with a prescription medication but I do still feel it lingering. I can't wait to get home from work to lie down!

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had the flu vaccine and got a terrible cold, sore throat, cough, and running nose, felt terrible. Then I developed masses of ulcers in my mouth and sores on my mouth. It really makes me wonder about having it again after these side effects, felt awful.

Comment from: Timbo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I had my flu shot on 13 September, 2017. Three weeks to the day later I was laid low with aches and pains all over my body. No other symptoms at all, except for feeling very tired and miserable! I wonder if anyone else has had such a delayed reaction, or if I catch the flu anyway!

Comment from: Submit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I suffer from moderately severe COPD, and understand that getting the flu can kill me, so on 10/2/17 I got the flu shot. Here I am 48 hours later having breathing problems as I have never ever had before, and my oximeter testing shows my breathing has radically worsened, in that while oxygen gets into my lungs I cannot seem to maintain normal oxygen levels even for just a few seconds. The site of the injection continues to sting and I generally am breathless as I have just never been before.

Comment from: Linder, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had the flu shot on Wednesday for the first time. The next morning I woke up feeling achy all over and severe stomach pains. By that night, I had diarrhea really bad and felt so sick. After two days of diarrhea and stomach pains, I was worried. By Saturday, I was throwing up like crazy. It's Sunday and back to the diarrhea again. First time flu shot, never, ever again!

Comment from: Moe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a flu shot last Thursday and I am still suffering. Apart from a dark bruise and lump at the site of the injection it is still sore to touch. I have also had hot and cold episodes together with increasing headaches and lethargy. I am thankfully normally healthy for my age. Can't remember when I last had the flu. I just know I will not be having another injection.

Comment from: Ann1212, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had the flu vaccination for the last three years as it was expected of me to have it, and for the last three years I have been ill. I had my last jab in October 2016 and within a week I had a bad cold with a tickly cough. It is now January 2017 and I still have the cough, I feel breathless and got some advice from one of the nurses in my general physician's practice which was if you are fit and can do some exercise to not have the flu jab as you do not need it. I am never having another one again.

Comment from: Miranda, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

I had my flu shot late because I was sick in November and December. I just took it on 3rd at 7 pm. By 1 am, I started having chills. By 4 am, I was having massive diarrhea. I started having difficulty breathing, wheezing, and lots of phlegm. By then, fever gets worse, and I had pain all over my body, muscles and joints, including pain along sides of neck and behind the ears. I was drinking as much fluids as possible over the night. I had 5 to 6 times diarrhea, still going at this point (It's all watery). I feel very lethargic and achy right now. Still wheezing slightly; but breathing is not as difficult as last night. Actually, right now, 8 am, my tongue feels a bit numb. According to the information provided here, fever and aches are normal. However, what about the other symptoms!

Comment from: RoseMarie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have had two flu jabs in the last 15 years and each time the next day I felt ill. I was not thinking I had flu but on the other hand I did feel ill. It did feel like the first couple of days of flu. I'm not a baby and am very rarely ill. And I carry on through bad colds, etc. I have nurses shouting at me desperate to make me have the shots each year. They say you can't get flu from these shots. I'm not saying I get flu but I have been poorly. I don't know why everyone was so desperate to make me have the jab. I notice doctors and nurses have modified their behavior this year!

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had the flu vaccination shot yesterday. I was very nervous about getting it because the last shot I had I was sick for a week with body aches, chills and fever. My husband is sick so his doctor wanted me to get the shot so he doesn't get sick. I woke up last night with severe chills and body aches. My temperature was around 100. I am slowly getting better today but what I do know is that I will never take the flu shot again; even if the doctor says I should. I need to advocate for my own health. What makes me so upset is that my friend says I can't get the flu from the flu shot. She might be right because I understand that it is an immune response but it certainly feels like the flu to me!

Comment from: Acers, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

Five hours after flu shot my head stuffed up, I began coughing, had temperature of 101, and couldn't get warm. I slept rest of the day and night, feel headachy this morning. I almost always get cold symptoms after shot. This has been the worst!

Comment from: MB, 45-54 Male Published: October 07

I'm a 53-year-old woman. I went to the emergency doctor on Saturday because I thought I had a urinary tract infection (UTI); pain on urination, urgency. She said there was no bacteria in the urine, but that there was blood in it, and that I should follow up with my doctor. Sunday I felt fine, but Monday morning about 4:45 after I got up for work I was in agony. I had severe stomach pain in my lower abdomen on the side where I thought the UTI was. I called in sick to work and started trying to find someone to drive me to the emergency room. After maybe 45 minutes to an hour, though, the pain abated. I went to the doctor's when it opened, and they said I had likely passed a kidney stone, and that I should catch the stone in my urine if I could, and see a urologist. Tuesday morning I had the same agonizing pain; lying on my side, moaning, sweating. This lasted again for about an hour. Then it went away. Wednesday I woke up with no pain, and lo and behold, there was the kidney stone. It was only about the size of a grain of rice; I can't believe something so small could cause so much pain. Anyway, I wanted to share my story because my pain wasn't constant and unending. It came in early morning, and then disappeared, leaving me feeling fine for 23 hours of the day. I didn't find any descriptions online that mentioned the pain might be so sporadic and inconstant.

Comment from: jide, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

I have treated the staph infection numerous times, but it doesn't seem to go. I have had serious back pain for about 5 months, pain on the groin and on my thigh, and erectile dysfunction is setting in, all relating to it. I have taken several antibiotics, I don't know how to solve this issue before it kills me.

Comment from: NAGENDRA, 45-54 Female Published: July 18

I had a skid whilst alighting steps and had a side fall over the last step on the lateral side. There is pain 8 inches above the ankle. I met my family physician and he felt no x-ray is required and gave medicines for 2 days. I visited the doctor after two days and was able to stand straight and bend but it pained when leg is moved. However the doctor gave two injections, on day 1 and day 3 and asked to apply ice over the area where pain is felt and asked me to continue the same medicines for 2 more days. However there is swelling on the 3rd day but I am able walk slowly without any pressure/support. When I talked to the doctor saying there is a slight swelling, he says to have an x-ray and meet him.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had a lumpectomy and had sentinel node dye. Three nodes were removed, and 2 of those positive. I returned to surgery 2 weeks later and had 4 nodes removed and further scraping lateral to where previous lumpectomy was done. One node was positive. Now I have infection around the auxiliary operation site and down into my breast. I have used 2 different antibiotics and still using one for 5 days now, and my breast is still red and sore. I had fluid drained and was told I did not have an infection; but I did. So now I play the waiting game. When this subsides I am having radiation and the hormonal treatment. My cancer is a stage one. I had two tumors in my breast.

Comment from: Bernadette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

Ten days ago I was feeling rather weak. As soon as I got home, I went straight to bed. Even though it was a warm day, I got colder and colder, and then started shivering. I can't say how long that went on when I woke at one point so hot and sweating that I couldn't get out of my clothes fast enough. My temperature seemed to register 104.2! I dozed off again not being able to take medication because I just couldn't remember to. The next day I felt cooler so I showered. Then the whole thing repeated. Meanwhile my friends were calling each other to go to me as it seems I was delirious on the phone! They came with the paramedics and my temperature was 105! In the emergency room, the doctor noticed a pink area on my leg. It got worse before 3 antibiotics kicked in. The cellulitis in the leg has improved and the color is back to pink from red, the heat has lessened and the swelling is somewhat better at this time. It still hurts to put lotion on. I keep it elevated, but do not use heat on it as my primary doctor advised me to!

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

With my vaginal prolapse, it protrudes whenever I am walking around, and do a lot bending and stooping or lifting. However, I wind up having back pain, and one morning I tried to stand up straight and couldn't because it felt like all my (hamstrings) or muscles were pulling in my lower back of upper legs and hips connecting to my back. I had to stretch and sit and do a little walking in the house (bent over) before it cleared up.

Comment from: mountain girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have been dealing with hyponatremia since 1993 and at first it was from drinking gallons of water. It has never stopped over time. Once I was at 125 although it took a week to get there. Eating salt doesn't fix it. I have to quit drinking to 4 cups per day or add electrolytes. I don't urinate in the day but watch out, at night I will be up 5 times. The only extremities that swell are my eyelids, gums, and belly. My blood sodium is always about 132, so it doesn't take much to spill the cart. I get tired, muscle fatigue, can't remember things, or slow reactions, I sit down and fall right to sleep. Many times I get cold too. I exercise weekly but I can't get my muscles to work at all. I get sore when I do. No one ever gives me a reason. I have inter-connective autoimmune hypothyroidism, and had hepatitis C which has been non-detectable due to Rebetron therapy since 2000. It started after I was diagnosed with it. Wish someone could help me. I go up and down the scale 6 lb at a time. My urine is nice colored so I can't be dehydrated. Hope this helps.

Comment from: leelas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have no discharge, no odor, but I have intense itching on my vagina with rash {bumps} from scratching, and I burn when urinating and there is swelling. At first we thought it was a yeast infection, but the medicine hasn't cleared it up. I wonder what else could cause this vaginal infection.

Comment from: DanielleM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a tumor in my middle ear that deteriorated 2 of the 3 hearing bones and I now have tinnitus. The ringing is so bad and even worse at night. It is a high pitched obnoxious sound that gets worse when I have a migraine, which is also a new symptom since my removal of the tumor. I would love to know what I can take other than valium or put a fan on.

Comment from: T.C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have tinnitus. There are two sounds, one is a sharp high pitched sound and the other is a humming like that of a refrigerator. I sometimes experience dizziness. I also sometimes experience a weird sensation while driving, actually when I have stopped the vehicle it is like I am still going. I can actually see the ground move like a conveyor belt, but I know I have stopped the vehicle. My tinnitus keeps me from falling asleep like normal people, so I have to go to bed earlier. It takes me an hour to an hour and a half to fall asleep. It is very annoying, I hope there is help for my case.

Comment from: genious, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have found a solution to pinworms in kids. The secret of getting rid or reducing the numbers of them are honey and lemon Lockets dissolved in a low fat fizzy pop and it actually works. It is the best night's sleep I have had in ages.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I heard a roaring in my left ear for a few seconds. Ear now has a strange sensation and I feel kind of light headed.

Comment from: Mary, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I very rarely have a cold or flu but I was persuaded to have a flu vaccination on 12th January. A few days later I started coughing. It got worse until by 5th February I was coughing and sneezing violently, my head was heavy and nose running. Today I feel more ill than I have ever done in my life.

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female Published: February 03

I have currently been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. They may want me to do a spinal tap. I just want to know the risk because my specialist told me it was a bad idea and now may want to do the spinal tap.

Comment from: purdylady773, 55-64 Female Published: January 29

For osteoporosis I am working on strengthening my bones by doing weight walking with a weighted vest made for women. I am also eating a very clean diet, lots of greens, vitamin A, C, and B, all the vitamins. But I eat them in food as this way they are better absorbed by my body. And I am taking foods with vitamin K2 such as butter by Kerrygold from Ireland which is from grass fed cows and full of vitamin K2. So far my doctor said to keep it up. My bones are getting stronger and I feel stronger.

Comment from: Maggy, 45-54 Female Published: January 29

I went through IVF (in vitro fertilization) and got pregnant. I went for an ultrasound at 7 weeks and there was a heartbeat. At 9 weeks I went for another ultrasound and there was no longer a heartbeat. It was such a sad feeling. I decided to have a D and C instead of miscarrying on my own at home.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I believe that I got pityriasis rosea from my flu shot in November 2015. It is a rash that begins with a few raised quarter-size red bumps that I first thought were spider bites. In a few weeks those spots appeared to look like ringworm and several smaller spots appeared mainly front and back torso and to a lesser extent on the arms and legs lasting for at least a few weeks before it regresses on its own with the spots fading. I am considering not getting the flu shot again unless I have to.

Comment from: Terry, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I got the Fluzone quadrivalent shot on November 9th. It is now December 30th and am still dealing with adverse effects. I have every symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome. None of those symptoms were present prior to my vaccination. Most sad thing about all this is, the only reason I got the vaccine was because my new job I landed at a hospital mandated it. Now I am on a leave of absence from this very same job due to a shot that was forced on me. I was given no option to wear a mask otherwise I gladly would've preferred it over this torture.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had the flu vaccine on October 9th, 2015. I am required to take the flu shot because I am a nurse. I have taken the flu vaccine for many years. I am a very healthy person and have only had a few mild illnesses in my life. Three or four days after receiving the vaccine, I became sick with fever, and had severe cold intolerance, body pain, sore throat, swollen neck glands and extreme fatigue. I was given a Z-Pak. None of the symptoms were relieved. I struggled to work with being out multiple times. On November the 9th I was signed out on FMLA (family medical leave) by my medical provider. I have seen 5 doctors. Only one of them thinks it could be flu shot related. During all the multiple blood tests that included Lyme's, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, rheumatoid studies, low iodine was found as well as high levels of alpha-gal and a reactive Epstein Barr. Today is December 26, 2.5 months later, and I wake up this morning with all the same symptoms. I am having extreme cold intolerance and body pain and fatigue. I am convinced that the flu shot triggered this illness. I have not had one day without these symptoms since getting the flu vaccine. I feel desperate to recover and get on with my life.

Comment from: trailrunner, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I am a physical therapist assistant that recently began working in a SNF (skilled nursing facility) after years in an outpatient clinic. At 48 years old I had my first flu shot because it was required, or I'd have to wear a mask. I have been sicker than I have ever been in my life with fever, chills, headache, cough, swollen tonsils, etc. I am on my 8th day and will see my doctor in two days. I will never have a flu shot again. Needless to say, I quit the SNF and will begin working back in outpatient where they don't force us to have shots that are detrimental to people's health.

Comment from: CathyB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

In September 2015 we were on a cruise. The weather was very rough the first couple of days, and I have never suffered with motion sickness until then, so I used wrist bands. I had a fall and badly bruised my kidneys (unsure if a connection). I saw a general physician (GP) at home, who was not very helpful. About a week after we returned I started to feel dizzy and lost my balance several times. Then I had a bad fall, hitting my neck and chin, and down my right side on the back of the sofa, and I had blacked out. This GP said I needed to see a neurologist, after performing many tests including blood tests, (waiting list 3 months). I am seeing a nurse practitioner finally, and I was told I had labyrinthitis (it is doing the rounds at the moment), and given medication. This gave me calf pains and symptoms of a blood clot. I am now waiting to see if there is one (I have past history also of clots). I suffered 2 bouts of labyrinthitis in the past, but never actually falling; just lurching, or losing consciousness. I wonder if there is a stress related connection, as in all three bouts, there has been extreme stress.

Comment from: bobsmith, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I had the extra strength flu shot (Medicare wouldn't pay for the normal strength shot for me). That night I ended up in the emergency room with uncontrollable shaking and fever. I recovered, but I will probably refuse any future flu shots.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I received the flu shot along with pneumonia shot yesterday. My arm and neck are aching, I feel lethargic and very cold. I feel like I am getting sick. I had some sinus pain and ear pain along with it. Yikes, this is awful.

Comment from: Chatty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 14

My husband and I had the flu jab on the 12th of November. It took just over 2 weeks before any symptoms appeared for the both of us, and I was worse than him. I started to shiver and had to go to bed for 24 hours. Then 3 days later my arm started to get slightly painful. This got worse the next day, and by day 3 I could hardly lift my elbow off the side of my body, it was very painful. I am hoping this does not last much longer. My husband had the same symptoms but much milder and is back to normal.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I got my annual flu shot two months ago. The moment I got it a weird sensation went through me like an electric shock. I had a large bump at the injection site for a while and now it's a scabby, itchy little rash. My arm is still sore at the site. I never had a problem before.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I got the flu shot on Monday, November 2. By Friday, I was getting really sick. Too sick to move and go to the hospital. By Monday, it was full-blown pneumonia (I had a pneumonia shot six months ago). The doctor gave me Advair, Z-Pak, and more. My lungs cleared some but my sinuses and throat are raw. I keep getting bouts of fever. Body hurts badly. And I'm so weak, I just want to sleep. That was a month ago. If I ever feel normal again, it will be a miracle. I've had flu shots before but never got sick. And I've had the flu before but never felt this awful. I know it is a bad reaction to that stinking shot. My doctor said a lot of her patients are going through this this year.

Comment from: Fluffy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I got my first high dose flu shot 3 days ago, previously I only had regular shots. I woke up next morning tired, cranky, achy, with a slight nausea, and a red and painful injection site. I rested most of the day, I had no energy. I took lots of Tylenol and fluids. The 2nd day after was worse, I was unable to do anything but rest, eat, sleep and had the same other symptoms. On the 3rd morning after 12 hours of sleep, I was fine, arm aches gone, and I was back to normal happiness. Doubt I'll take the high dose ever again, as I've never had a reaction to the regular flu shot in my whole life.

Comment from: DeckerNC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I do have COPD, but when I went in get flu shot on November 18th I was in good health. Two days later I was suffering from a scratchy throat, hacking cough, fatigue, upper respiratory problems and mucus production. I could barely get out of bed without using my emergency inhaler. After suffering for 2 more days I went back to my doctor and was diagnosed with acute bronchitis and received prednisone and Virtussin syrup. I am still one the mend, but so far have had symptoms for 5 days; anticipate having to put up with problems for at least a 3 more days before I feel like I did before I got the flu shot.

Comment from: Huntwc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I got the flu shot on a Friday. I woke up the next day very nauseous, headachy, and lightheaded. It's been over a week now and I still feel awful. I can't think of anything else that could be causing these symptoms. I felt great prior to getting my shot.

Comment from: Baileyg, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

I got the flu shot, mandated by my employer on 11/5/15. My arm hurt for about 3 or 4 days. I have been more tired than usual, feeling exhausted after working all day. This is very unusual for me. Today, 16 days out I started with pain in my hips, and then weak legs. I have indigestion, feel weak, achy, headache, and fever of 99.7. My arm is very painful suddenly at the injection site! It feels like someone punched me. This is so strange, I am positive this is an extended response to that flu shot.

Comment from: fred, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

I had 2 deep vein thromboses in my left calf 7 years ago. I did the Lovenox shots for a month then Coumadin for a year. On May 14, 2015 I felt like I had pulled a muscle in my left pectoral. I then had headaches, body soreness, and really tough workouts. Energy zapped, and blood pressure 175/159 sent me to the emergency room. I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs, and a 6 mm nodule. Treatment was Lovenox shots till blood thinned, and now I am on 3 mg of Coumadin forever. I feel good most of the time, but I get down physically and emotionally from time to time. I am a 63 year old gym rat and jeweler.

Comment from: FLU VACCINE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I got the flu shot for the first time last year and have not been the same since. I was sick to my stomach and extremely fatigued for at least two weeks after. My left arm where I got the injection was extremely painful and every time I would eat eggs I got shooting pain from the injection site up the back of my arm into my neck and head resulting in a horrible headache. I thought I developed an allergy to poultry products because it would start after eating chicken or anything with chicken broth, eggs, etc. Allergy test came back negative. Then the extreme joint pain in fingers and toes began. I thought I was getting rheumatoid arthritis. Then the irritable bowel syndrome began and I still have that. I still cannot eat eggs today without feeling terrible and now I even get small pimples around my head and neck every time I do. I will never get flu shot again. I think a lot of the autoimmune diseases today are a reaction to the flu shot. Not everyone can take the same medication, I don't think we can all get the same flu shot.

Comment from: baj ulf, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had the flu jab four weeks ago. I've been having them for years and never experienced any side effects, but this time I had a swelling around the injection site, then I got mild flu symptoms and have suffered from extreme fatigue and body aches since then, plus returns of the mild flu symptoms. I feel under the weather all the time and had a faint 2 weeks after having it; something I've never experienced in my whole life before.

Comment from: Pjs jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My husband and I got flu shot on November 4, 2015. Next day we both experienced soreness and redness at injection site along with low grade fever, runny nose, sore throat, and body aches. My husband, who has asthma, has very bad cough and lung congestion and going to the doctor today. We both have gotten flu shots every year for past 20 years and this is our first time to have a bad reaction. I am not sure about getting future flu shots.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had the flu shot five days ago, and I have been experiencing muscle twitching in the upper arm where the vaccine was administered.

Comment from: dv, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 03

I waived the flu shot for 20 years. But was forced to get annual flu vaccination or face termination from my employer. I am a healthcare worker. I have received the annual flu vaccination for the last 3 years and each year within hours I begin to feel very fatigued and achy. This has gone on for 6 days now and I have had to take a personal day off today to rest. Of course the workplace does not admit a connection between the flu vaccine and my symptoms. I know from 20 years of waiving the flu vaccination, that my current symptoms are a result of the annual flu vaccination. It has always passed within a week, even 20 years ago; this episode is typical in my experience.

Comment from: Peaches, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had my flu shoot on November 01, 15. My arm is sore and I am having a burning sensation in the area of the injection. That evening I had a really bad head and neck ache. Also it felt like I had a sinus infection with congestion causing pain on the right side of my face with pain in my ear and teeth. I still have the pain this morning and aspirin is not working.

Comment from: Lesley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had my first flu shot on Thursday 29th October. Yesterday, Saturday 31st October, my throat was incredibly sore. Today Sunday, I still have a sore throat, a cough has developed, I ache and am extremely lethargic. I didn't wake up till mid-day when I am usually awake at 7.30 am. Not impressed.

Comment from: Nikki6, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am recovering from 2 peroneal brevis surgeries and I perhaps overdid it when it came to rehabilitation. I thought my plantar fasciitis was flaring and began a heavy stretching and massaging routine. By the 4th day my arch pain began to hurt so bad it prevented any activity. Now I am back to RICE, Guess I wanted fast results and know I'm paying for it.

Comment from: Betty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

On October 1, 2014 I received the flu vaccine at my doctor's office. About 3 weeks later, I came down with pityriasis rosea which I believe was caused from the flu vaccine. This horrible, itchy rash lasted 5 months, covered my entire torso and left brown spots which are still visible. I was not able to wear anything but cotton against my skin and could only take cool showers in the middle of winter. I do not plan on getting another flu shot.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had the flu jab 13 days ago. I did feel like I had a bit of a cold that evening with a sore arm but now I have very achy joints, hips, elbows, etc., and no energy. I don't know if it's the jab or not.

Comment from: Shopaholic1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had the flu jab last year and afterwards felt generally unwell but the worst thing was the cough. This went on for nearly three months, and upon going to see the doctor, he reluctantly gave me antibiotics but only because it had gone on so long. It cleared up after that. Upon going to my six monthly diabetic checkup this month, the nurse assumed I was there for my flu jab as well. When I said I was a bit reluctant to have it because of this she said it was just coincidence and would not have been the flu jab. I gave in and had it but I am now dreading feeling like I did last year. The medical professionals seem to brush this aside but I am convinced a large number of people get worrying side effects and are not taken seriously.

Comment from: nike, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

Ten days after my flu jab (after extreme tiredness from day 1) I had swollen glands all over, severe stiff neck and shoulders, headache, absolute exhaustion, muscle twitching, rash, aches and pains in muscles and joints; even my hair hurt! I am normally very fit. Never again will I have the jab. I felt similar last year but not as extreme.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I've gotten the flu shot every year for the last 9 years. I started getting them when I was looking after my elderly mother and was told I had to get it. I started getting migraines and vertigo the March after getting my first flu shot. I don't know for sure if they are connected but I got my flu shot last Wednesday and the next morning I woke up with severe vertigo, total exhaustion and zero appetite. The vertigo only lasted a day but I've been in bed still with no appetite. I went to the emergency room last night and was told it could have something to do with the shot but won't say for sure. I was told just to rest and ride it out. I've lost 9 pounds so far. They need to admit these flu shots are causing a lot of problems. Who knows what other problems are being caused in the long run. I'm really wondering if my vertigo and migraines first began because of the shot.

Comment from: gluechemist, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I had the flu shot yesterday (24 October 2015) along with my wife. Both of us experienced (and continue to) the expected arm pain, like being punched in the arm. However, I experienced severe headache, nausea, heartburn and a period of really feeling run down and tired. Granted, I did a lot of yard work yesterday after the shot, but this was not like simple muscle ache and the effects of a good workout; I felt terrible. I have gotten better as the evening goes on, but this one hit me hard.

Comment from: Pain ridden, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I am 71, very fit senior, and never had leg or walking problems. After flu shot my arm is sore and I woke up limping a few days later. Three weeks later still I am still limping, and it hurts much. I am taking anti-inflammatory medicines. Two years ago after the flu shot I got shingles. I am never getting this shot again.

Comment from: DeAnn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I got the flu jab on October 17. I had an allergic reaction. I have red and purple hives. I went to urgent care. Medicines did not help. Today I went to the emergency room. I still have these things. This has never happened before. Now I have another bill. I am feeling angry.

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I got the flu shot about 2 weeks ago. A week later I went to doctor for 6 months check. I was perfectly healthy. Everything was normal. The next day, I got very sick, sore throat, coughing, fever, fatigue, wheezing and incontinence. I was in bed for 4 days. Then I went to the doctor and diagnosed with acute bronchitis. I hardly ever get sick, little cold or bronchitis once in a while. Otherwise very healthy. Always got flu shot and never had a problem. So I wonder if it was the flu shot that made me so sick. I believe so.

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

I got the flu shot on a Thursday and started feeling poorly the following Tuesday. I woke up with a rash resembling the measles on Wednesday, also suffering from aches and pains. I've missed two days of work from it.

Comment from: Social Worker, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

I had the flu shot a week ago. The day after the shot I started having cold symptoms (low fever, very sore throat, runny/stuffy nose, cough, chest congestion and aches). This is my first time for the vaccine. Of course everyone is telling me it had nothing to do with the shot, but every other season I am usually the last one to catch the flu (usually March). So, I am miserable one week later, sore throat, burning behind my eyes and nose. I will ride this out, but confused whether to get it next year if I am not forced to by my employer.

Comment from: Tania, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am a retired teacher and have had the flu jab for more than ten years with no appreciable side effects. This year I had the jab on 19th October and since then have had pain in the left arm, which goes into the neck, under the arm, into the breast and is worse around the elbow. I did not expect this reaction and was interested to read the similar experiences of your contributors.

Comment from: Loulou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had the flu jab last Thursday. Today is Tuesday, and I felt weak, had chills, I am feeling hot at night, have muscle aches in hips and stabbing pains in arms and legs. I am not sure, in all honesty, if I would have had the jab, if I had known I would feel this way. Also I feel very tired and I felt well leading up to the jab.

Comment from: HighDesertSage, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had the flu vaccine (Fluarix) on Saturday, October 17, 2015 because all hospital volunteers are required to have it. My upper arm was moderately sore for a day or so. By evening, I was feeling extremely tired with malaise and weakness. This lasted until today Monday, and I'm just now starting to feel better. I think anyone who has survived a serious case of influenza would much rather put up with these mild side effects than have a case of the flu they might not survive.

Comment from: laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a flu shot on Tuesday and next day had a raised rash on the upper front of that arm. On Saturday my torso looked like measles. I had very mild itching. Never had anything like this before. I have been on diltiazem for about a month for heart attack caused by vasospasms so I don't know if it's a rash from that and just coincided with flu shot.

Comment from: Lorie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

We are forced to submit to flu shots because of our employer (hospital). This year I struggle with joint pain in my hip and femoral bone pain, as well as heartburn and indigestion. These symptoms presented the day after my shot and after a week, and it's not getting any better. One of my co-workers has identical symptoms that also presented within a day of getting the shot.

Comment from: christy1976, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

Within 1 hour of the flu vaccine injection I began having pain in the side of my neck on the same side of the injection. Another hour later I was face down sweating profusely nauseous. I will never get one again. I was weak the following day.

Comment from: Nanny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I received the over-65 flu shot yesterday afternoon. Only effect was very minor soreness at the injection site, until this morning. About 18 hours after receiving the shot, I had a sudden fever, headache and diarrhea which lasted about 2 hours, then subsided. I am feeling very tired, I slept soundly for 6 hours then awoke feeling fine.

Comment from: Treyce, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Thank goodness I have never had the flu from the flu shot. I just had my flu shot on 10/12/15 and I feel fine.

Comment from: dg, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I had the flu shot on 10-6-15, as required by my job. I never had a problem before, but now I have extreme neck, shoulder and arm pain. I have been taking 800 mg Motrin every 4 hours with no relief. It feels like I tore a muscle or my rotator cuff, ice not helping, heat not helping, and it's getting worse.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I had the flu vaccine for the first time in my life on September 28th as suggested by my doctor. Since that day I have experienced severe muscle pain, especially in my left knee, the same side I received my shot. My wrists, ankles and muscles are aching severely. I felt perfectly fine prior to this flu shot. It has now been 7 days and no relief yet. I have called my doctor and waiting for his return call. I hope this is temporary; at least the flu eventually goes away!

Comment from: OLDFIELD, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I received the senior extra strength flu shot on 2/29/15. My arm around the shot site really hurt. During the night the fingers on my right hand were hard to bend, with excruciating pain. Today one day later I am sweating and the lymph nodes under the right arm hurt. I ache and have general malaise and will just lie around today.

Comment from: michelle, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 01

I received the flu shot on Friday and this is Tuesday and I have what feels like a full blown case of the flu; fever, chills, aches, and fatigue. I am a nurse and am required to have this shot. I don't know what I will do next year, I have to work but I do not want to go through this again. I hope I feel better soon as I have to take care of patients when I feel like I am sicker than they are. Before my shot, I was going to the gym and being very active. Now it is all I can do to drive home from work.

Comment from: Annie52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had the flu shot as prescribed by my general physician (although I very seldom get a cold or flu). However this time, within a week I was so sick, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, aches and pains and coughing up so much mucus. I was in bed for 5 days before I felt well enough to get up! No I do not smoke. I wonder if I was run down to get so sick after finally having the flu shot.

Comment from: Flip, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had the flu vaccination shot on the 14/4 and ended up as a result, having an adverse reaction. Pulse rate 137, SpO2 92 percent, temperature 38, I have rigor, am unable to breathe and have aches across shoulders and down arms. My eyes are exuding green muck. Within 30 hours I had a heart attack! I have had previous reactions before, only to be told it was coincidental. It is not! I have still had some of the medicos state the same this time, but am fighting to have the truth acknowledged. I am not saying don't have it if it hasn't affected you. I'm saying they need to start acknowledging the side effects instead of covering it up!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

At age 64 I got a flu jab because I am my husband's caregiver so it wasn't the first time. I got the flu vaccine late October and still have a red circle with itch over where the jab was given. It's enough to drive you insane at times.

Comment from: Mama WOLF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had flu shot a couple months ago and now wish I had gotten the flu. My left arm is in extreme pain with swelling of joints. The back of neck has stopped hurting but my arm is not ok. I will go to a doctor soon if it does not clear up.

Comment from: Elliecar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Both me and my mum went for our flu jabs, neither of us has had any problems before this year. Within a week we both took extremely ill with high temperature, and chest infections. After 3 weeks I felt better, but my mum who is 70 got worse by the day, she suffered extreme pain in her back, both legs and arms, eventually her temperature was so high she was taken to the hospital. Now 3 months on she is severely handicapped, in extreme pain, on morphine, and a whole load of other medications, can't walk or barely lift a cup to her mouth, Now she has been told she has IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and damage to her spine which they can't find the reason for. She is in and out of hospital getting scans and all sorts of tests, but they still don't know the cause or how to treat her apart from giving her pain relief, which isn't helping much; even the morphine is not helping the pain. Until the jab she was a very active woman who walked everywhere, went dancing and was a happy person. She is now a shell of her formal self, I would never get that jab again and would not wish this on anyone. Please think twice before getting it. So many people who have serious issues with it can't possibly all be wrong.

Comment from: Kelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had the flu shot on December 23, 2014 at a health clinic. My neck immediately began twitching and my fingers began tingling on the side of the injection. The shot was very painful, beyond what I ever experienced. My arm muscles from shoulder to hand were sore. Then I became dizzy. A slight vertigo. My blood pressure dropped to 102 (I had the nurse check it). Over the last 10 days I have had increasing symptoms, such as shooting pains across my head and face, tingling in toes of both feet with tingling going up to knees and thighs. My tongue hurt and I could barely chew food. The soles of my feet burn when walking. I am weak, overall. I was totally fine before the injection. I have not been normal one day since the shot. Today I have a sore throat. I have all these side effects from the shot that may be long term, I just don't know. I am going to see a neurologist. I will never get this shot again. I just hope this resolves over time.

Comment from: Kady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I had my first flu shot after much convincing by my doctor. Within a week I developed a productive cough stimulated by a tickle in my throat. It continued for another 9 weeks both day and night, resulting in severe spasms and on occasion vomiting. The doctor insisted that it could not have been the flu shot and after sending me for an x-ray (results were negative) wrote a prescription for an inhaler. I have never had asthma. Fortunately a week of immune boosting herbs (echinacea, reishi and astragalus) seem to have put an end to what was clearly an immune reaction to the flu shot. Never again!

Comment from: Dads daughter, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 10

My dad had received the flu shot for probably 30 years. In September 2013 at age 93 and otherwise extremely bright and healthy, he received the flu shot. The next day his arms started to ache, then his shoulders and hands. He became weak, very lethargic and had a low fever. He was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. Prednisone has helped but when he is weaned off, the symptoms return. This is a very cruel disease and will probably end his life sooner than otherwise. So unnecessary and is robbing the last years of his life. No flu shots ever for this large family!

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

My husband who is 67 received the flu vaccine in early November. About 3 weeks afterwards he has developed a severe case of hives and extreme itching. He is very prone to hives and has dry skin. I also received the high dose flu vaccine on October 1st and about 3 weeks later developed severe upper arm itching with little or no rash. Our life has been a bit of a nightmare since.

Comment from: Kel B., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

It is now a year since I received the flu vaccine. Within 24 hours I was experiencing pain in the upper left arm. This continues unchanged 12 months on. I can raise my arm forwards without too much pain but sideways and behind me only waist high. It is still really painful. It is doubtful I will have another flu jab in the future.

Comment from: Doug, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

My husband had a flu shot almost 3 weeks ago and started with a sore throat that night. The next afternoon the sore throat went away, but he ached all over and started with a fever of 103.4 and had the sweats and chills. This lasted for a week when he was hospitalized and they did blood tests that came back saying there was no infection in his body as his white cell count was normal. His fever persisted for another week. It is now back to normal, but he still has sweats and is very weak.

Comment from: JD, Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had the flu injection on Friday and had severe diarrhea and painful stomach. I also have very bad indigestion and heart burn and pain in my chest. I had flu injection before and was fine. I won't be getting flu jab again.

Comment from: kota, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am scared to death to take a flu shot since the last one I received put me in bed for almost 3 weeks. In addition, I firmly believe that my son's death at age 50 in 2009 can be attributed to receiving a flu shot. He called me two days prior to his death and told me that he had felt really sick since receiving the injection. The news that I next received was that he died in his sleep that very night. The coroner attributed his passing to the electrical rhythm in heart having failed. I cannot believe this because he was extremely healthy, a non-smoker, and very health conscious. I do believe that there are some of us that would be better off getting the flu rather than the reactions to the injection. I will never get a flu shot and will never get over losing my only son.

Comment from: MB, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I got scleritis 4 days after flu shot. My right shoulder (shot was in left) became so sore I could not move my arm. I got a cold I cannot seem to get rid of. I am awaiting blood test result for autoimmune disease due to the scleritis. Scary stuff. I will never have a flu shot again in my life. I will gladly wear a mask at work from now on. That is if the flu shot has not triggered autoimmune disease in me. I cannot have flu shot if it has. Educate yourselves of the risks before blindly getting the flu vaccine.

Comment from: jay, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

I never had a flu shot before and never will again. I can't lift my arm, it is swollen and red and very, very tender. The effects began within one hour following dose, high fever, chills, muscle aches, soreness, no appetite, and sleep all the time. The pain was so much that even my hair hurt! I don't believe I will ever subject myself to this again. I am on third day and now taking Theraflu and aspirin!

Comment from: Tammie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I developed a bump the size of a half dollar and it is red, painful and it itches. I had the flu shot 2 days ago. This developed midafternoon yesterday.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I received my flu shot yesterday. Today I have a 4 inch long bruise, and at the bottom of the bruise is a red hot itchy pocket (seems that the serum has not dissolved). My arm feels like it weighs 1000 lb. and I also have an itchy rash all over my chest and on my right elbow. I have gotten the shot before and this has never happened. Never again.

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I received the over 65 flu vaccine on 10/13/14. By 10/16 I developed a very sore throat and muscle aches that continued through the weekend and got progressively worse. I saw the doctor on 10/20 and asked for a throat culture as I have never had a sore throat last that long. The culture was negative. At the time I didn't even think the flu shot might be the reason for all the symptoms. The next evening I had severe chills, a temperature of 101 and pleurisy pains in left rib cage. The same thing happened last night. I am now waiting for a call back from clinic. Even though the reasons for getting a flu shot are very valid for seniors, I don't know if I want to go through this again.

Comment from: Budgetwatcher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got the flu shot Friday. I started chills Sunday afternoon. Sunday night I had fever, chills, muscle aches, and sore eye muscles and vision changes. Fever broke Monday evening, then started diarrhea. Tuesday, I am taking Imodium and at work. I am still weak and tired.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 21

I should have read this before I got my flu shot today. Right away my throat was a bit itchy and dry and I started coughing. Within an hour I started to get a headache. It has been about 10 hours and I have a very severe headache, and my neck and shoulders are sore. Whatever is going on this year! I've never had any trouble like this before. Hope this information gets reported to the appropriate authorities.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter