Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

A Doctor's View on Flu Shot Side Effects

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Some people believe that they can get the flu from receiving the flu shot, but this is not the case. For most people, the risks of contracting the flu are far greater than any risks associated with the vaccine. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: jaxbchgirl2121, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I got the flu vaccine yesterday at the request of my employer (I work in healthcare). In the past, I have never had any side effects afterward. Today, I woke up with a migraine and began to feel worse as the day has progressed. I have felt nauseous, weak and a little achy throughout the day. The headache subsided with a prescription medication but I do still feel it lingering. I can't wait to get home from work to lie down!

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had the flu vaccine and got a terrible cold, sore throat, cough, and running nose, felt terrible. Then I developed masses of ulcers in my mouth and sores on my mouth. It really makes me wonder about having it again after these side effects, felt awful.

Comment from: Timbo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I had my flu shot on 13 September, 2017. Three weeks to the day later I was laid low with aches and pains all over my body. No other symptoms at all, except for feeling very tired and miserable! I wonder if anyone else has had such a delayed reaction, or if I catch the flu anyway!

Comment from: Submit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I suffer from moderately severe COPD, and understand that getting the flu can kill me, so on 10/2/17 I got the flu shot. Here I am 48 hours later having breathing problems as I have never ever had before, and my oximeter testing shows my breathing has radically worsened, in that while oxygen gets into my lungs I cannot seem to maintain normal oxygen levels even for just a few seconds. The site of the injection continues to sting and I generally am breathless as I have just never been before.

Comment from: Linder, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had the flu shot on Wednesday for the first time. The next morning I woke up feeling achy all over and severe stomach pains. By that night, I had diarrhea really bad and felt so sick. After two days of diarrhea and stomach pains, I was worried. By Saturday, I was throwing up like crazy. It's Sunday and back to the diarrhea again. First time flu shot, never, ever again!

Comment from: Moe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a flu shot last Thursday and I am still suffering. Apart from a dark bruise and lump at the site of the injection it is still sore to touch. I have also had hot and cold episodes together with increasing headaches and lethargy. I am thankfully normally healthy for my age. Can't remember when I last had the flu. I just know I will not be having another injection.

Comment from: Ann1212, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had the flu vaccination for the last three years as it was expected of me to have it, and for the last three years I have been ill. I had my last jab in October 2016 and within a week I had a bad cold with a tickly cough. It is now January 2017 and I still have the cough, I feel breathless and got some advice from one of the nurses in my general physician's practice which was if you are fit and can do some exercise to not have the flu jab as you do not need it. I am never having another one again.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.