Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

A Doctor's View on Flu Shot Side Effects

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Some people believe that they can get the flu from receiving the flu shot, but this is not the case. For most people, the risks of contracting the flu are far greater than any risks associated with the vaccine. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Miranda, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

I had my flu shot late because I was sick in November and December. I just took it on 3rd at 7 pm. By 1 am, I started having chills. By 4 am, I was having massive diarrhea. I started having difficulty breathing, wheezing, and lots of phlegm. By then, fever gets worse, and I had pain all over my body, muscles and joints, including pain along sides of neck and behind the ears. I was drinking as much fluids as possible over the night. I had 5 to 6 times diarrhea, still going at this point (It's all watery). I feel very lethargic and achy right now. Still wheezing slightly; but breathing is not as difficult as last night. Actually, right now, 8 am, my tongue feels a bit numb. According to the information provided here, fever and aches are normal. However, what about the other symptoms!

Comment from: RoseMarie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have had two flu jabs in the last 15 years and each time the next day I felt ill. I was not thinking I had flu but on the other hand I did feel ill. It did feel like the first couple of days of flu. I'm not a baby and am very rarely ill. And I carry on through bad colds, etc. I have nurses shouting at me desperate to make me have the shots each year. They say you can't get flu from these shots. I'm not saying I get flu but I have been poorly. I don't know why everyone was so desperate to make me have the jab. I notice doctors and nurses have modified their behavior this year!

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had the flu vaccination shot yesterday. I was very nervous about getting it because the last shot I had I was sick for a week with body aches, chills and fever. My husband is sick so his doctor wanted me to get the shot so he doesn't get sick. I woke up last night with severe chills and body aches. My temperature was around 100. I am slowly getting better today but what I do know is that I will never take the flu shot again; even if the doctor says I should. I need to advocate for my own health. What makes me so upset is that my friend says I can't get the flu from the flu shot. She might be right because I understand that it is an immune response but it certainly feels like the flu to me!

Comment from: Acers, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

Five hours after flu shot my head stuffed up, I began coughing, had temperature of 101, and couldn't get warm. I slept rest of the day and night, feel headachy this morning. I almost always get cold symptoms after shot. This has been the worst!

Comment from: MB, 45-54 Male Published: October 07

I'm a 53-year-old woman. I went to the emergency doctor on Saturday because I thought I had a urinary tract infection (UTI); pain on urination, urgency. She said there was no bacteria in the urine, but that there was blood in it, and that I should follow up with my doctor. Sunday I felt fine, but Monday morning about 4:45 after I got up for work I was in agony. I had severe stomach pain in my lower abdomen on the side where I thought the UTI was. I called in sick to work and started trying to find someone to drive me to the emergency room. After maybe 45 minutes to an hour, though, the pain abated. I went to the doctor's when it opened, and they said I had likely passed a kidney stone, and that I should catch the stone in my urine if I could, and see a urologist. Tuesday morning I had the same agonizing pain; lying on my side, moaning, sweating. This lasted again for about an hour. Then it went away. Wednesday I woke up with no pain, and lo and behold, there was the kidney stone. It was only about the size of a grain of rice; I can't believe something so small could cause so much pain. Anyway, I wanted to share my story because my pain wasn't constant and unending. It came in early morning, and then disappeared, leaving me feeling fine for 23 hours of the day. I didn't find any descriptions online that mentioned the pain might be so sporadic and inconstant.

Comment from: jide, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

I have treated the staph infection numerous times, but it doesn't seem to go. I have had serious back pain for about 5 months, pain on the groin and on my thigh, and erectile dysfunction is setting in, all relating to it. I have taken several antibiotics, I don't know how to solve this issue before it kills me.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.