Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: FNAwasgreat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Okay, so I worked myself into a tither over going in for fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid. I was not too happy about having to do it, but even less happy about having a needle stuck in my neck, no matter how fine. They gave me two shots of lidocaine and we were off to the races. They did not go directly in on the left side. They went through the soft area right below the Adam's apple and over to the left. The initial needle stick did not hurt; it was only when they got real deep and started poking the nodule did it hurt. The pain was not unbearable, but it did hurt. There was a lot of pressure and then moments of pain. It was definitely bearable, but not something I would want to do again.

Comment from: Swentz, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

No problems at all after or during my fine-needle aspiration thyroid biopsy. I even got to watch 4 needles go into my neck and the node on the ultrasound screen. Negative for cancer. I felt no pain at all only a little pressure when needle went in. Easy-peasy!

Comment from: Florida RRT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had fine-needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid done last Tuesday. During the biopsy I felt pain radiate up my jaw to my ear. As of this writing I am 6 days past and my neck is still bruised, I have trouble swallowing, right neck pain and swelling and ear pain. I am also in medical field and shocked as the symptoms continue. I had 4 shots of lidocaine and two nodules biopsied both on the right thyroid.

Comment from: Breanna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had a fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid done yesterday and to say the least, it hurt and is continuing to hurt. The numbing stuff burned a little and I thought that was bad but then the next couple pokes were ok until she got in my muscle. When that happened it felt like she was slowly sawing at my neck. Tears came from my eye unwillingly and I was shaking due to my anxiety. It's a very foreign experience to have pain inside of you and only see a small hole afterwards. When I went home I took Motrin and the pain disappeared for a little bit but it is now back after a short sleep. I'm also noticing a little bruising now as well. I'm eating and drinking ok with little pain. Another thing is it hurts immensely to sneeze. I don't want to scare anyone but this was my experience so far.

Comment from: SterncRaZy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have many tumors, two of which are worrisome. The radiologist numbed me up well and I was able to remain perfectly still during the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid, while the pathologist made sure there were good enough 'cell gives' by the nodules, as some can be quite stubborn. And then when she came back in to do the second nodule, it was uncomfortable, nothing like a bone marrow biopsy, but uncomfortable. Tonight I am feeling very sore, swallowing is difficult and my neck is very tender. This is not that big a deal though. If you've ever had a serious cavity filled, you understand the beauty is in having enough lidocaine administered. No opiates needed; that's good.

Comment from: Harry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I had the fine-needle aspiration of my thyroid on Tuesday. Today is Friday, and it was a piece of cake. However, I did experience some minimal, unusual pain. While going deep, I felt pain in my right nostril going up into my right forehead. I had the procedure on the right lobe and 6 samples taken.

Comment from: Pain free, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had a fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid three days ago and didn't have any pain at the time or after. I had a wonderful team and the pathologist was in the room as well to ensure that the sample was adequate. The radiologist administered a local anesthetic and only had to take two samples. There is slight bruising in the area where the needle went in but no other discomfort. I am pleased I didn't read this platform before the procedure as ignorance was bliss in my case.

Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Complications Question: What complications did you experience following your fine needle aspiration biopsy?
Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Results Question: What were the results of your fine needle aspiration biopsy?