Patient Comments: Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Thyroid - Experience

What was your experience with fine-needle aspiration of your thyroid?

Comment from: MomOf2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had a fine needle aspiration on my thyroid today. Thankfully I did not Google the procedure beforehand as it would have scared the heck out of me! I had about 20 needle jabs in all with some very deep tissue samples which felt like she was digging and tugging. The after-pain hurts just as bad thus far as the doctor was poking on the muscle in my throat repeatedly. When it was all over, I was thankful, then they told me I may have to come back in if they didn't get enough samples. Hoping hard it is all over with!

Comment from: Ms Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had 4 fine-needle aspirations of my thyroid done 5 days ago and my throat still feels tender and not quite back to normal. I didn't receive any freezing although that would have been really nice. I hope I don't ever have to go through this procedure again. This was one of the worst things I've ever had to do, so very painful. Sticking the needles in and prodding around felt like sheer torture, but I tried to stay still for fear of making things worse and hurting myself while the doctor had the needle in my neck. I thought it was supposed to be one needle but he took 4 samples. This is not a procedure anyone will find easy really. I hope the discomfort in my neck subsides soon. I didn't expect it to continue for this long after the procedure.

Comment from: Tray29, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had fine-needle aspiration thyroid biopsy 8 days ago and still suffering from complications. The biopsy itself for several large nodules was ok. It has been the after that is the issue. I woke up next morning with pain that felt like a deep bruise in my neck, throat, jaw, ear and chest. I spoke with the endocrinologist and she said to take ibuprofen. I did and woke next morning. Six days out I had to be seen by my primary physician as I was in lots of pain and had flu symptoms. I saw the doctor and he said that sometimes it can cause a reaction if you are immune-compromised. The doctor could not get over my badly swollen gland on that side where biopsy was done and he put me on strong antibiotics for 10 days. It's has been 2 days on antibiotics and it's getting worse now, I can't even look down or even lightly touch that area. Best advice I can give is make sure you are fully aware of the risk of the procedure. I was not fully informed and now I am miserable.

Comment from: Bachame, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had a fine needle aspiration biopsy of my thyroid six days ago. Like some, I did have more rather than less pain. Results thus far are one nodule with no problem and one indeterminate. I'm still checking up to see what that means. I need to return in a month to see if it's growing. Currently I still have pain in my throat in addition to a large bruise on my chest. I wonder where that came from. I received lidocaine and it was still painful.

Comment from: Hatethisnodule, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I've had 3 fine needle aspiration biopsies for a fairly large thyroid nodule. The first and second were virtually painless with no lingering pain. I think the tiny ice pack I was given afterward really helped. The third was quite painful, but nothing I couldn't stand for the short time it took. I don't believe the doctor gave me a numbing shot for the 3rd one, or possibly he used a larger needle (my first two were not fully determinate). It's about 18 months later now and although the size hasn't changed much, it seems to be in a different position and more easily felt, plus I have a new small one on the other side, I'm having a 4th this week by a pathologist, so we'll see!

Comment from: Ms Peanut, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had the fine-needle aspiration biopsy yesterday and wanted to share my experience. I was extremely anxious weeks prior and on the day of the procedure almost cancelled but forced myself to go last minute. I had a team of 5 in the room, all were extremely professional, kind and gentle. The 2 shots of anesthetic didn't hurt much at all, but the actual prodding of the needle into the nodule was uncomfortable. I think I felt worse pain because my nodule was already causing pain prior to the procedure. I was supposed to have 4 pokes but much to my luck, after two the doctor said there was enough cells to do the biopsy. The pain I experienced felt like nothing I can describe really, but it wasn't as bad as I worried it would be. The morning after the area is sore and slightly swollen. For those who are extremely anxious, it's not that horrible and is over very quickly.

Comment from: Sarah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had a fine-needle aspiration of the left side of the thyroid yesterday and the only thing at the time that hurt was the first needle to numb the area. The following 4 needles were not felt. I had more pain afterward, like not being able to swallow without pain. I took a pain pill and went to sleep that afternoon and feeling much better today. It's just a little swollen and I feel like I have a sore throat. The hardest part of the test was laying your head off the end of the table so they could have easy access to your throat. All in all, this test was not bad at all. Certainly not as bad as I imagined. Now just waiting for the results.

Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Complications Question: What complications did you experience following your fine needle aspiration biopsy?
Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy - Results Question: What were the results of your fine needle aspiration biopsy?