Patient Comments: Fibromyalgia - Diet and Lifestyle Changes

What lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc.) have you found helpful in relieving fibromyalgia pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Brynda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have fibromyalgia. The invisible disease to everyone but the people who suffer from it and their love ones. I was diagnosed in 2003. The first three years were the worst! Heavy duty prescription, acupuncture, pain patches, rehabilitation and therapy! Until I said enough, what can I live with! I took charge of my own health. Scaled back on all medications and began water aquatics, walking and supplements. The medication was not reliving my pain so I opted to take 600 mg of ibuprofen and entered a research program that targeted fibromyalgia patients' sleep pattern. Bottom line what they gave us contributed to a good night's sleep which took me from level 8 and 9 pain to level 2 and three. Awesome sauce! But unfortunately study only lasted 2 years. Currently I am taking cyclobenzaprine 5 mg, low paced exercise, turmeric in my food, stretching and life style changes. Not 100 percent but manageable. I take it one day at a time. Accept, prioritize and keep it moving!

Comment from: Allyxtra, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I must comment after 29 years of fibromyalgia syndrome/chronic fatigue syndrome, that this article is better than previous ones on WebMD. However, the overall tone of the information still diminishes the severity of these conditions, especially the degree of pain and continued emphasis on exercise, which actually causes more severe pain and fatigue.

Comment from: txboxrk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I"m 64, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2001. Since then I also have chronic fatigue, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, IBS, cardiac reflex, sleep apnea, low vitamin D, pacemaker, obesity with depression and asthma. My symptoms are chronic pain, fatigue, and muscle spasms; my fingers/toes/feet try to turn different directions and upside down. My fingers lock up in weird positions. I have headaches fibromyalgia fog, loss of eye focus, heart palpitations and my fingernails are ridged. I take Lyrica, Flexeril, Aleve, Nexium, propranolol, vitamin D and Aldactone (bones). Sleep, fresh fruits, swimming, walking and the medicines Lyrica, Aleve, and Flexeril are helping a lot. I still hurt.

Comment from: pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with fibro for 2 years now. There are days it is very hard to get out of bed. But I push on. My daughter suggested the book Eat to Live. I have been trying to follow the diet suggested in the book. I have felt better and have more energy then before hoping this will help more as time goes on.

Comment from: Bama Girly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I find that a home spa (hot tub) helps me deal with fibromyalgia pain. I get in the water up to the base of my neck and the pain goes away. I'm also on a vegan diet and eat lots of green, leaf veggies. Animals (pets) help get your mind off yourself. Children help too.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I developed fibromyalgia right after I had surgery on my lower back. The doctor did a fusion, inserting a cadaver bone and titanium rods to hold it in place with four screws. Within a month of surgery, I started getting all-over body pain that was very debilitating, especially the first four hours after awakening in the morning or after taking a nap. My pain management doctor told me that it was fibromyalgia and put me on Lyrica, which has helped immensely.

Comment from: Wenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had Fibromyalgia since 2002 but I have refused to let it do me in. I joined a gym even though I had to drag myself out of bed to get there but after a gentle 30 minute workout I had about 4 hours of almost pain-free living which made me want to go back the next day. I also found that tanning beds also gave me a few hours of relief. Perhaps a sauna would work too. I finally gave in and am taking meds for the pain now as I have other disabilities that prevent me from going to a gym any longer.

Comment from: Clyde40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I live with it and the chronic pain that goes with it 24/7/365. Nothing helps me. I've had it for ten years now and I've had treatment after treatment; test after test; needle after needle, and med after med. I've found no relief. I also live in Pittsburgh and the climate here is lousy. The winter months are just awful. Some days I can't get out of bed, but I have to push through my pain. The constant hurting has caused me to be depressed and overweight and feeling hopeless.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter