Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress reduction, exercise, and medication are the standard treatments for fibromyalgia. Read more: Fibromyalgia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Depression Quiz: Signs & Symptoms
Many people do not recognize the symptoms and warning signs of depression and depressive disorders in children and adults. With...
Fibromyalgia Quiz: What Is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia could be the reason for your constant, deep bodily pain. Learn more about this painful condition with the...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
Exhausted all the time? Maybe it's not all in the mind. Take the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Quiz to learn more about tricky...
Picture of Fibromyalgia
A syndrome characterized by chronic pain, stiffness, and tenderness of muscles, tendons, and joints without detectable...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Fibromyalgia Pain Relief With Stretching and Strength Exercises in Pictures
Living with fibromyalgia is painful. By making simple exercise modifications, you can boost your energy, decrease pain and...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Fibromyalgia Treatments and Tips to Ease Pain and Other Symptoms
What is fibromyalgia? Learn about fibromyalgia symptoms such as trigger points (also called tender points), learn what causes...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
IMAGESSee a medical illustration of fibromyalgia trigger points plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Second Source article from WebMD...
Second Source article from Government...
Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis that causes chronic inflammation of the spine. The tendency to develop ankylosing...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Costochondritis and Tietze Syndrome
Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs attach to the sternum. Tietze syndrome affects the same region of...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain
Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Dry eyes are caused by an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, but also can be caused by the drying out of the tear...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Fibromyalgia
Though rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia have similar symptoms, RA is an autoimmune disease and fibromyalgia is a...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Local ResourcesFind a local Rheumatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Lower Back Pain
- Chest Pain
- Joint Pain
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Shoulder Pain
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Frequent Urination
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Fibromyalgia: Dreaming of a Pain-Free Christmas
- Fibromyalgia: Tips for Daily Living
- Fibromyalgia and the Mind-Body-Spirit Connection
- Fibromyalgia Update -- Kim Jones, PhD, RN, FNP -- 02/25/03
- Chronic Pain
- Memory Loss
- Buttock Pain
- Arm Pain
- Hip Pain
- Unsteady Gait
- Joint Stiffness
- Stiff Neck
- Muscle Pain (Myalgia)
- Depression FAQs
- Fibromyalgia FAQs
- Chronic Fatigue FAQs
- Fibromyalgia Treatment...Methods Using Available Medicines
- Fibromyalgia - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Fibromyalgia 2002 Arthritis Conference Report
- Fibromyalgia: 2004 Perspectives
- National Arthritis Meeting 2004
- Hypnosis In Medicine
- Fibromyalgia Treatments Without Drugs
- Can Paxil Treat Fibromyalgia Pain?
- What's The Difference Between Myofascial Pain and Fibromyalgia?
- Sciatica Pain Vs. Fibromyalgia Pain: What Are The Differences?
- Can Costochondritis Swelling Extend to the Neck & Back?
- Is There a Test for Fibromyalgia?
- How Do I Treat Fibromyalgia Pain?
- Fibromyalgia: 3 Things to Do
- Why Am I So Tired? The Many Causes of Fatigue
- Fibromyalgia: 2005 Arthritis Conference Highlights
- Fibromyalgia & IBS - Audio Newsletter October 2005
- Fibromyalgia - Monitoring Medicine Audio Segment
Medications & Supplements
- lorazepam (Ativan)
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- gabapentin (Neurontin)
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- desipramine, Norpramin
- Drug Interactions
- memantine (Namenda)
- tramadol and acetaminophen (Ultracet)
- naltrexone hcl - oral
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- milnacipran, Savella
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Lyrica vs. Gabapentin: Differences between Pain Relief and Uses
- Cymbalta vs. Wellbutrin Comparison
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
- Lyrica (pregabalin) vs. Savella (milnacipran)
Prevention & Wellness
- Scientists Spot Unexpected Player in Fibromyalgia
- CBD -- It's Everywhere, But Does It Work?
- Brain Scans Suggest Pain of Fibromyalgia Isn't Imaginary
- Tai Chi Beats Aerobics for Fibromyalgia Pain
- Lady Gaga's Fibromyalgia Puts Illness in the Spotlight
- Too Few New Antibiotics in Development: WHO
- Lady Gaga Has Fibromyalgia
- Doctors May Be Over-Prescribing Seizure Drugs to Treat Pain
- How Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Wears Patients Out
- Are There Two Forms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- FDA Throws Cold Water on Whole Body Cryotherapy
- Health Tip: Get a Massage
- Better Sleep Could Mean Better Sex for Older Women
- Review Suggests Safe, Effective Ways to Relieve Pain Without Meds
- Beware Whole Body Cryotherapy Claims, FDA Warns
- Antidepressants Not Just for Depression Any More
- Pain, Epilepsy Drug Lyrica May Increase Birth Defects Risk, Study Suggests
- Acupuncture May Help Ease Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Finds
- Study Finds Drinking May Ease Fibromyalgia Pain, But Doctors Wary
- Oxygen Chamber Therapy May Ease Fibromyalgia, Study Suggests
- Immune System Changes Tied to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Panel Asks: What Defines Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Walking Group a Step Toward Better Health, Researchers Say
- Lidocaine Injection May Help Treat Fibromyalgia, Study Suggests
- Electrical Brain Stimulation Might Help Fibromyalgia Patients
- Most Teens With Fibromyalgia Suffer Pain, Fatigue as Adults
- Vitamin D Supplements May Help Ease Fibromyalgia Pain: Study
- Brain Scans Show Fibromyalgia Patients Process Pain Differently
- Fibromyalgia Might Be Harder on Younger Patients, Study Finds
- Lyrica May Ease Pain for Depressed Fibromyalgia Patients
- A Blood Test for Fibromyalgia?
- Fibromyalgia Might Be Harder on Younger Patients, Study Finds
- New Clues to Fibromyalgia's Causes
- Weather Doesn't Trigger Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Study Finds
- Exercise May Ease Pain of Fibromyalgia, Study Suggests
- For First Time, Pain 'Signature' Spotted on Brain MRIs
- Antidepressant Lessens Chemo-Related Pain
- Is Childhood Intelligence Linked to Pain Problems in Adulthood?
- Health Tip: Help Ease Fibromyalgia Symptoms
- Health Tip: Living With Fibromyalgia
- Health Tip: Defining Fibromyalgia
- 1 in 10 Fibromyalgia Patients Uses Marijuana to Ease Pain
- Adjusting Your Attitude About Chronic Pain May Help You Sleep
- Fatigue Not a Factor in Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Says
- Poor Sleep Heightens 'Ringing Ear' Disease Symptoms: Study
- Obesity Linked to Worse Fibromyalgia Symptoms
- Tai Chi Improves Symptoms of Parkinson's Disease
- Does Obesity Cause Pain?
- Exercise, Talk Therapy by Phone May Help Relieve Fibromyalgia Pain
- Spouse's Reaction May Affect Pain Management
- Women's Sleep Problems Linked to Fibromyalgia Risk
- Study Suggests Exercise May Help Memory of Fibromyalgia Patients
- Muscle Relaxant May Ease Fibromyalgia Pain
- Talk Therapy Plus Self-Help May Fight Pain
- Combination Therapy Needed to Fight Chronic Pain
- Chronic Pain of Fibromyalgia Takes Toll on Everyday Life
- Fibromyalgia, Restless Legs Syndrome Overlap
- Arthritis on the Increase; Obesity Partly to Blame
- Tai Chi: Best Fibromyalgia Treatment?
- More Clues To Fibromyalgia Pain
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain
- Sleeping Pill May Treat Fibromyalgia Pain
- People With Fibromyalgia Prone to Falls
- Health Tip: If You Have Fibromyalgia
- Obesity May Raise Risk of Fibromyalgia
- Fibromyalgia Gets Worse During Menstruation
- Health Tip: If You Have Fibromyalgia
- Short Bursts of Activity Ease Fibromyalgia
- Savella Approved for Fibromyalgia
- Antidepressants Help Treat Fibromyalgia
- Cymbalta Approved for Fibromyalgia
- Aquatic Exercises May Ease Fibromyalgia
- Pot Drug May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain
- Fibromyalgia: FDA OKs Lyrica as 1st Fibromyalgia Drug
- Evidence Shows Fibromyalgia Pain Is Real: Experts
- Fibromyalgia Pain: It's for Real
- Study: Acupuncture Helps Fibromyalgia
- Fibromyalgia, a New Drug Helps
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter