Patient Comments: Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Diagnosis

How was your fibrocystic breast condition diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: paulette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had lumps removed from my right breast at 28 years old and taken to a lab for test and it was confirmed to be fibrocystic condition, and now at 36 years old I have lumps on the left breast. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound and I was told again that it is fibrocystic condition. Naturally I'm a little worried because I don't want to have another surgery. I wonder why it came back and if there is something I'm not doing right.

Comment from: DMMC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 14. Since than she has been in and out of hospitals with low or high blood sugar. She is 30 now and while she was pregnant with her first child she developed gastroparesis where she can't tolerate liquids or food and vomits everything up. After the baby was born after 30 weeks healthy and normal, it seemed to disappear. Now the baby is 3 and it has started all over again. She's now in the hospital after numerous times with this and her potassium was so low they had to give her 6 IV bags of it and it is still low. They told her to try that V8 juice to see if it does anything once she's out. This is so scary because it seems there is no cure for this gastroparesis and she can't live a normal life and do things to enjoy her baby with. It is horrible seeing your child go through these things and there's nothing you can do about it.

Comment from: fran, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had fibrocystic breasts for 25 years. I have tried lots of different pain killers and vitamins, nothing has worked for me. I keep begging the doctors to chop off my breasts, because anything is better than the constant pain I'm in. I have had biopsies and it is all clear. The relief I had after the biopsy was lovely because the cyst went down.

Comment from: c2000aj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have never had a regular menstrual cycle. I was diagnosed with FBD (fibrocystic breast disease) in Dec 2009. My breast would fill so badly they would be glossy. You could not brush up against them or I would cry. I went to a specialist and was given tamoxifen due to the severity. It makes you sick. I could only take it for a few weeks and then I could not handle it. I take primrose and vitamin E but it does not help. Massaging them helps but my doctor asked me not to do that.

Comment from: Bsanberg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I had Clostridium difficile colitis two months ago and took Flagyl and vancomycin. I did not take any antibiotics. The only medications I was on was Flomax. They said that would not cause it. It took me several hospital stays to get rid of it. Now it's back. I'm so upset to have to go through this again.

Comment from: Sweetiepie24, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am 24 years old and I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease and I have been on birth control for 2 years. I was also diagnosed with anxiety disorder and I usually get pain in both sides of my breasts and I do regular at-home breast exams usually in the shower. But my anxiety takes over and tells me its cancer. I feel like I am alone in this situation.

Comment from: emu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast condition about two years ago and the doctor said I had to undergo a surgery and have it removed. But I didn't, because of fear. Now, I'm experiencing occasional pain and the lump got bigger, though it stopped getting bigger a couple of months ago.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have fibrocystic breast (FCB) for around 4 to 5 months now and it pains sometimes. I was never a fan of coffee and tea. Sport bra sometimes helps but the pain is still here. I think people who has FCB need to do a regular check up every 2 months (ultrasound) to see what's happening. Wish all the ladies with FCB good luck.

Comment from: INSPIRED DREAMS07, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed at the age of 24 and it is very painful when it does flare up. I was told it was caused by caffeine intake so I have cut back. When I really restrict myself from it I notice I am not in as much pain (it is tolerable) but when I go crazy with my soda and Starbucks it is game over, it even hurts to get out of bed. It is a struggle and painful way but just try to cut caffeine intake and take Advil for pain. Supportive bra's also a big help, I like to use my sturdy sports bra, it helps.

Comment from: Dance_Chick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am currently 20 years old, and was diagnosed with Fibrocystic Breast Disease when I was 18, with symptoms occurring since the age of 17. As I am fairly young to have developed FBD, I have not yet had a baseline mammogram but that is my next step. I have found that decreasing my caffeine intake & stress levels and wearing supportive bras at night have helped the breast tenderness to some extent, but the lumps seem to be getting larger and multiplying as I get older. My mother has also been diagnosed with FBD, at about the age of 30, and has it to a somewhat lesser degree than I. For her, it became most prominent during pregnancy. I think we need to take care to educate even the younger population of women on this issue, as I was extremely caught off-guard when I discovered the lumps in my own breasts. For a girl of 18 years old, it can be a very scary and stressful discovery.

Comment from: Nutty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am 41 years old and have been having problems with my breasts for years. About a year ago, I noticed that my bras didn't fit well. I went to a store for a fitting, and found out I had gone from a D cut to a FF cut. That's when I noticed the pain. I went to a doctor, who dismissed that anything was wrong. I changed health plans and was later diagnosed with fibrocystic breast changes. I have since had four cysts drained and now have six-month check-ups.

Comment from: SamanthaC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am now 28 years old and was diagnosed with fibrous breast disease about a year ago. It is the most powerful thing that I have had to go through. I am still having this problem and trying to get some help from a doctor. I am unable to wear a regular bra and the pain has not gone away at all. They keep telling me that the pain will go away but it gets so bad on some days that I am unable to even function. I wish they can help and ease the pain down a little.

Comment from: worried, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I'm 21 now and it started when I was 18. I was given the wrong prognosis twice. When I was 18 I was told it was a blocked milk duct. I've since been told that isn't possible unless I've been pregnant, which I never have been. The second time I was 20 and was told it was a fibroadenoma and that it's nothing to worry about. I wanted to know more so I googled fibroadenoma and saw that it is benign tumors and then freaked out. A few weeks later I learn that I have fibrocystic breasts just like my mother, who had been telling me that's probably all it is. That freaked me out more as she had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. While those 2 things don't go hand in hand somehow while she was having her regular monthly scans and aspirations they missed the cancerous tumors hidden behind all the cysts. They said the cancerous tumors have been there at least 8 months before they noticed. I'm worried that one day mine could be cancer and they will miss it too.

Comment from: Bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had two cysts removed by surgery. No more surgery for me! I have a new surgeon, and when he found three large cysts in one breast, he popped them with a needle, withdrew the fluid, and they came back benign. From now on, I will get them done that way. It's much cheaper and less painful.

Comment from: SynergyGirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have lived with fibrocystic breasts for many years. My breasts have to be drained once each year. I actually went yesterday and it took 5 large syringes to extract the fluid just from my left breast. I had my mammogram in November, and it irritated my cysts and they started filling up with fluid. My breasts mostly consist of cysts now! The hospital that takes care of me always has such a difficult time reading my results, as does my doctor. It is very concerning to them because my breasts are so dense and atypical. I have had one needle biopsy in my lifetime. It is the most painful thing to have them drained but the relief to follow is just so worth the pain. My left breast was indented at the nipple and red on the left side due to the cysts size. I will be 50 this year. The pain I face daily related to my breast is really quite unbearable. I can't be touched. If I bump them, it sends me through the roof. I am attempting to move forward with removal of all breast tissue and reconstructive surgery. I look forward to the relief. Nurses and doctors always gasp when they see my condition and just feel sorry for me. I am spilling out of my bra when they are full of fluid and when drained I am way short on fitting my bra.

Comment from: Sheryl.kk2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

It started with some pain over the top of my left breast. Initially I thought I had probably strained myself. I kept checking everyday anyway. The pain remained, and everytime I could feel a slight lump like thing whenever I checked. I went to a general doctor, who waived me off with breast tenderness and prescribed me evening primrose oil for 3months and a painkiller. But i was not really satisfied with that. So after few days, I went to a different doctor, a gynecologist this time...He checked and told me its fibrosis...Gave me antioxidants..painkillers. After 2 weeks I will go back and see whether the lumps are gone or...if its still there, then doctor said we'd have to do a lil biopsy to confirm. Though he also says I'm too young to be getting breast cancer now.

Comment from: Susan K Rowland, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast condition when I was 21. I am now almost 60. I went through surgical menopause (fibroids in my uterus!) ten years ago, and the condition improved considerably (although still very visible on mammograms). Recently, I developed a big, fluid-filled lump in my left breast. I am wondering just how I ingested enough hormones to cause that. It's pretty scary and annoying at my age. But this is a lifelong thing, gals. It doesn't go away. Thanks for the tips on Oil of Primrose and avoiding parabens in lotions. This is also a family illness. My mother has had this condition since she was in her early 20s, and has had many, many needle aspirations and surgeries, none of which helped. My advice, stay away from surgery and try the natural solutions first. Starting with eliminating caffeine.

Comment from: Renee333, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have had two mammograms and a sonogram in the past six months. The doctors say that one breast is more fibrous than the other. My left breast is itchy and also I have trouble wearing a regular bra because one breast is larger than the other. I still haven't told my doctor.

Comment from: tina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Two months ago I felt a mass in my breast, and the doctor said it's fibrocystic. FNA shows moderate proliferated type, and now every three months I should have a US. I am so depressed by these events. There is no way for preventing their growth. The anxiety of this is more terrible for me.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter