Fiber is a nondigestible carbohydrate that's known to have beneficial physiological effects in humans. Fiber falls into two categories: soluble (dissolves in water) and insoluble (increases stool bulk). Read more: Fiber Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart
Need to lower your cholesterol levels? Use these smart diet tips to quickly and easily lower your blood cholesterol levels....
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Diverticulitis (diverticulosis) is a condition in which the diverticulum or diverticula rupture in the colon causing infection....
19 Constipation Myths and Facts
Before constipation can be treated, it has to be understood. Find out whether fiber, water exercise and more can help with...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
Constipation: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Take this quiz to find out what foods to eat, and what foods to avoid to prevent or relieve constipation....
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Hemorrhoids Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ of Piles
Does everyone have hemorrhoids? Test your knowledge of this and many other facts about Hemorrhoids....
Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
Learn 14 ways to lower triglycerides. Learn to keep your heart healthy and triglyceride levels in check with these diet,...
Pictures of the Belly-Fattening Foods That Men Love
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
Gluten-Free Diet: Popular Gluten-Free Foods in Pictures
Starting a gluten free diet? Get the facts about gluten free foods -- with tips on what to avoid, what to enjoy, and delicious,...
Foods to Boost Your Energy and Mood
Learn which foods may boost your energy level and have a positive impact on your mood. Foods such as salmon, Brazil nuts, and...
Slideshow: High-Fiber Super Foods: Whole Grains, Fruits, & More
Learn about high-fiber foods. From fresh fruits to whole grains, these fiber-rich foods can lower cholesterol, prevent...
Men's Health: What Foods Improve Male Health?
What foods have the most health benefits for men? For losing weight, gaining muscle, and lowering your risk of prostate cancer,...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Low-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the...
Grocery Smarts: 'Healthy Fat' Foods for Fitness in Pictures
A healthy diet starts at the grocery store. See which fat foods to avoid and which fit foods to choose....
Related Disease Conditions
Hemorrhoids (Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments)
Hemorrhoids (piles) are swollen veins in the rectum and anus. Causes include pregnancy, obesity, diarrhea, low-fiber diet, and...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
An anal fissure is a small tear or cut in the skin lining of the anus. Pain and/or rectal bleeding during bowel movements are...
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
15 Foods That Cause Constipation
Constipation or the decrease in frequency and/or difficulty in passing stools (bowel movements) can be caused by a variety...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Top 12 Foods for Constipation Relief
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
Constipation (Home Remedies and Medications for Relief)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)
Most people with diverticulosis have few if any symptoms at all. When people do experience signs and symptoms of diverticulosis...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment, and Test
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Overactive Bladder (OAB)
Overactive bladder is a sudden involuntary contraction of the muscle wall of the bladder causing urinary urgency (an immediate...
Encopresis is a type of elimination disorder in which bowel movements are passed into places other than the toilet. Children with...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Diabetes Prevention (Type 2)
The risks for developing type 2 diabetes include family history, ethnicity, birth weight, metabolic syndrome, and obesity....
Breast Cancer and Lymphedema
Lymphedema is a common chronic, debilitating condition in which excess fluid called lymph collects in tissues and causes swelling...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Heart Disease FAQs
- Hemorrhoids Piles FAQs
- Constipation FAQs
- The China Study
- Are You Getting Enough Potassium?
- hCG Diet
- Baby Food Diet
- Grapefruit Diet
- Nutrition: 10 Tips for Healthy Eating on the Run
- Nutrition: Eat the Right Type of Carbs
- Heart Attack Earthquake Stress Increases, Fiber Intake Decreases
- Colon Cancer Prevention And Fiber?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Fiber-Rich Diet Boosts Survival From Colon Cancer
- Where Do Grains Fit in Your Diet?
- Tasty Ways to Get More Fiber
- Gut Bacteria Influence Diet Success: Study
- Here's the Recipe to Keep Colon Cancer at Bay
- Get the Veggies, Skip the Starch
- Human Gut Germs Dictated by Diet
- Cutting Carbs and Calories at Lunch
- High-Cal Foods May Raise Cancer Risk in Women, Even Without Weight Gain
- 4 Ways to Jazz Up Your Salad
- The Facts on Flax
- Is White Bread OK for Some People?
- Health Tip: Make Healthier Choices for Weight Loss
- Add Fiber Without Extra Calories
- Lentils: The Forgotten Legumes
- The Whole Truth About Whole Fruits
- Health Tip: Eat More Mediterranean Foods
- Studies Spotlight Diet, Supplements for Knee Pain
- No Fruit Juice Before Age 1, Pediatricians Say
- Eating Gluten-Free Without a Medical Reason?
- Love Chocolate? Potato Chips? Your Genes Might Be to Blame
- Health Tip: Help Manage Constipation
- Need More Zzzzz's?
- Downside to Gluten-Free Diets: Diabetes Risk?
- Bad Diets Tied to 400,000 U.S. Deaths in 2015
- Health Tip: Fruit and Veggies May Help Shed Pounds
- Health Tip: Some Foods Are Good for Teeth
- Do 'Early Birds' Get the Healthier Worm?
- Some Health Fads May Not Be All That Healthy
- Don't Skip Veggies in Winter
- Health Tip: Enjoy Beans
- Heart-Healthy Tips for Your Grocery List
- Health Tip: Eating a Healthy Diet
- Whole-Grain Foods May Help You Stay Slim
- Health Tip: For Better Sleep, Watch What You Eat
- Health Tip: Stick With Your Healthy-Eating Resolution
- Lots of Red Meat May Be Tied to Gut Disorder in Men
- Want to Leave Dinner Feeling Full? Bring on the Beans
- Health Tip: Coping With Irritable Bowel Disease Flares
- Healthy Diet May Mean Longer Life for Kidney Patients
- Can Protein, Probiotics Help With Blood Sugar Control?
- Health Tip: Enjoy Autumn Produce
- Health Tip: Help Teens Learn to Read Food Labels
- Health Tip: Skip the Late Night Snacks
- Are There Alternatives to Statins?
- What's Behind the Gluten-Free Trend?
- 5 Tips to Help Teens Get Needed School-Year Zzzzzs
- Lots of Red Meat, an Earlier Grave?
- Fiber: The Rx for Disease-Free Aging
- Could Eating More Whole Grains Help You Live Longer?
- Time to Drop the 'No-Eating Rule' Before Colonoscopy?
- Could Spuds Be Bad for Blood Pressure?
- FDA to Re-examine What Makes a Food 'Healthy'
- Coffee, Wine Good for Healthy Gut, Sodas May Be Bad
- Health Tip: Dig into the Fresh Foods of Spring
- Fruit Every Day Might Help Your Heart, Researchers Say
- Berries: Big Health Benefits in Small Packages
- 'Paleo' Diet May Help Older Women's Hearts, Waistlines
- Health Tip: Factors That Affect Fullness
- Six Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Colon Cancer
- Health Tip: Stuff Your Salad With Nutritious Ingredients
- Health Tip: Restrict Your Diet Before Colonoscopy
- Girls Who Eat More Fiber May Face Lower Breast Cancer Risk Later: Study
- Higher Fiber Intake May Improve Lung Function
- New IBS Drug Eases Stomach Pain and Diarrhea for Some: Study
- Americans Still Consume Too Much Salt: CDC
- Health Tip: Don't Pack on Pounds During Holidays
- Health Tip: Feeding Your Child a Vegetarian Diet
- Health Tip: Eat Enough Fiber
- Higher-Protein Diet May Help Some With Type 2 Diabetes
- Could Too Many Refined Carbs Make You Depressed?
- Only 1 in 10 Americans Eats Enough Fruits and Veggies: CDC
- 'Gut Feelings': More Than Heartburn, Indigestion?
- More Evidence That High-Fiber Diet May Curb Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- Foods That Help Keep the Pounds Off as You Age
- Health Tip: Live Healthier to Help Prevent Osteoporosis
- Could an Apple a Day Help Keep the Pharmacist Away?
- More Whole Grains May Boost Life Span
- Health Tip: Considering Cereal for Breakfast
- Nuts Linked to Better Heart Health for Teens
- Nuts May Lengthen Your Life, Study Suggests
- Eating More Fiber Helped People Lose Weight, Researchers Report
- Diet Rich in Whole Grains Might Extend Your Life, Study Says
- DASH Diet Is Tops Again, Fifth Year in a Row
- Weight Gain Doesn't Have to Be Part of Thanksgiving
- Big-Name Diets All Work for a While, Review Found
- Use Chia Seeds With Caution, Researcher Warns
- Dieters May Be Thwarted by Absence of Healthy Foods
- If You Do Gain Weight, Polyunsaturated Fats May Prevent Some Damage
- Health Tip: Getting More Whole Grains
- Fruits, Veggies May Have Their Limits in Boosting Lifespan
- Health Tip: Eating for Energy
- Change Bad Habits Early, Save Your Heart Later
- Doctors Often Suggest Pricier, Brand-Name Meds for Reflux: Study
- High-Fiber Diet May Aid Heart Attack Survivors
- Beans, Lentils, Peas: Your Recipe for Lower Cholesterol?
- 'Gastric Banding' Patients Often Have Dietary Issues, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Losing Weight? Reduce Your Risk of Gallstones
- Food Companies Cut 6.4 Trillion Calories From Supermarket Shelves: Report
- Fiber-Rich Foods May Cut Your Risk of Heart Disease
- Health Tip: Cooking With Beans
- Study Links Americans' Low Fiber Intake to Higher Heart Risk
- Gene May Explain Link Between Meat and Colon Cancer Risk
- Health Tip: Avoid Weight Gain at College
- Healthy Eating Can Help Marathoners Cross Finish Line
- Kids With ADHD Often Prone to Bowel Problems: Study
- Health Tip: Ease Cramps From Irritable Bowel
- Health Tip: Eat a Good Breakfast
- Good Nutrition Can Boost School Performance, Expert Says
- Health Tip: Get More Bang for Your Beans
- Good Diet Helps People Manage Celiac Disease
- Health Tip: Popeye Wasn't Wrong About Spinach
- More Dietary Fiber Might Help Thwart Stroke: Study
- Health Tip: Lower Cholesterol
- High-Fiber Diet Helps Heart Too, Expert Says
- Not All Whole Grain Products Are Created Equal, Study Claims
- Healthy Diet Helps Damaged Hearts
- Do Older Adults Need Vitamins, Supplements?
- Study Links High-Fructose Corn Syrup to Diabetes
- Health Tip: Eat Healthier During the Holidays
- Health Tip: Eat Enough Legumes
- Eating More Fruits, Veggies May Help Kidney Patients
- Bring on the Bean Diet for Health?
- Health Tip: Keep Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Check
- Shoppers Who Read Food Labels Are Thinner, Study Says
- Health Tip: What's a Heart-Healthy Diet?
- Health Tip: Taming Your Sweet Tooth
- 'Electrified' Sweet Potatoes May Be Even Healthier
- All Calories Not Created Equal, Study Suggests
- Fruit May Help Prevent Diabetic Retinopathy
- Low-Fiber Diet May Raise Teens' Risk for Heart Disease, Diabetes
- The Laxative-Free 'Virtual Colonoscopy'
- Health Tip: Seniors Need Their Nutrients
- Here Are Fruits, Veggies That Offer Best Bang for Your Buck
- Health Tip: Consider These Diabetes 'Superfoods'
- Health Tip: Keep the Weight Off
- Health Tip: Why Am I Constipated?
- Popcorn Packed With Antioxidants
- White Rice Linked to Diabetes Risk
- Prescription Meds Can Put on Unwanted Pounds
- Health Tip: Fruit Juices and Kids
- Citrus Fruits May Lower Women's Stroke Risk
- Gluten Sensitivity: Fact or Fad?
- Health Tip: Healthier Ways to Prepare Potatoes
- Purple Potatoes Lower Blood Pressure in Overweight People
- Common Gastro Disease Occurs Even With High-Fiber Diet
- Kids' Snacks Can Be Healthy and Inexpensive
- Fiber May Not Prevent Diverticular Disease
- Report Looks at Best Diets, Easiest to Follow
- Bottom Line: Overeating Boosts Fat, Whatever the Protein Level
- Diet Patterns Linked With Brain Health
- The Mainstreaming of Vegan Diets
- Health Tip: Dealing With Hemorrhoids During Pregnancy
- Diet Loaded With Veggies, Fruits, Whole Grains May Cut Stroke Risk
- All Beans Aren't the Same in Gassy Side Effects
- Ginger May Have Cancer-Fighting Qualities
- Diet for Autism: What Works?
- Heart-Healthy Pasta? 'Super Spaghetti' Just Might Be
- An Apple a Day Really May Keep the Doctor Away
- Diet for Lowering Cholesterol: Soy Beats Low-Fat
- Study: Healthy Eating Costs More
- Vegetarian Diet May Prevent Diverticular Disease
- PSA Test May Help Check for Breast Cancer
- Genetic Clue to Painful Peripheral Neuropathy
- Solesta Gel Approved for Fecal Incontinence
- Baked or Broiled Fish May Cut Heart Failure Risk
- Eating Meat May Raise Colon Cancer Risk
- Nicotine-Free 'Fake' Cigarettes May Help Smokers Quit
- Seaweed Fiber in Liquid Meals May Cut Hunger
- Lifestyle Changes Reduce Triglycerides
- Apples Good for Your Heart
- Vegetarians May Need to Boost Omega-3s, B-12
- Best Diet Plan: 6 Mini Meals or 3 Squares a Day?
- Walnut May Be Top Nut for Heart Health
- Unhealthy Diet Raises Heart Risk of Obese Teens
- Simple Steps to Prevent Common Cancers
- New U.S. Diet Guidelines: What Not to Eat
- The Deadliest Diets
- Walnuts Reduce Stress
- Black Rice Is Cheap Way to Get Antioxidants
- Obesity Rates Still Rising, CDC Says
- Chicken Nuggets Loaded With Fat, Salt
- Kids Not Only Obese, They're Extremely Obese
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Low Residue Diet (Low Fiber)
- DASH Diet (for High Blood Pressure)
- Vitamins, Minerals and Nutritional Supplements
- Gluten Free Diet
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diet
- Liquid Diet
- Cleansing and Detox Diets
- Atkins Diet
- Weight Management
- Glycemic Index Foods
- 15 Top Pregnancy Power Foods (Superfoods)
- Potty Training
- Best Life Diet
- The Truth About Detox Diets
- 13 Ways to Fight Sugar Cravings
- 10 Ways to Help Boost Your Good Cholesterol
- 5 Diet Resolutions for the New Year
- Why Can't I Lose Weight?
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- 10 Everyday Super Foods
- Flat Belly Diet! Does It Fall Flat on Its Promises?
- Heart Health Tips From a Top Cardiologist
- Food Trends for 2008
- Foods That Curb Hunger
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms
- Protein Power
- Sugar Busters!
- Dr. Andrew Weil: Weight Loss and Wellness
- Fiber- What Is It?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter