The female reproductive system is designed to carry out several functions, including:
- producing the female egg cells,
- conception, and
- producing female sex hormones that maintain the reproductive cycle.
- urethra, and
- vaginal opening.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Boost Your Fertility: Ovulation Calculator, Pregnancy Planning and More
Boost fertility and increase your chances to conceive. Learn about ovulation calendars, diet, aging and other factors that can...
Pregnancy: Multiple Births, Twins, Triplets, and More
Multiple births occur when a woman bears twins, triplets, or even more babies during pregnancy. More multiples are born today...
Related Disease Conditions
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Perimenopause (Symptoms, Signs, Remedies, and Treatments)
Perimenopause is the time in a woman's life when she is approaching menopause. During this time a woman starts to develop...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Bleeding During Pregnancy (First Trimester)
Bleeding during pregnancy is never normal. Causes of bleeding during the first trimester of a pregnancy may be caused by...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Doula vs. Midwife (Differences between Care, Costs, & Duties)
A midwife and doula are not the same thing. A doula's job is to provide non-medical, emotional, and personal support to a...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Female Genital Mutilation Decreasing in African Nations
- Parents Teach Firstborns About Sex, But Not Their Later Kids
- As More U.S. Women Delay Childbirth, Multiple Births May Rise
- Scent of a Woman: Fertile Females Smell Better to Men
- HPV Vaccine Doesn't Put Girls' Fertility at Risk: Study
- Fertility Clinic Denies Legal Liability for Loss of Frozen Eggs and Embryos
- Some Women Have Regrets After Freezing Eggs for Later Pregnancy
- 'Menstrual Cycle in a Dish' Explores Intricacies of Female Body
- Know the Risks, Warning Signs of Ovarian Cancer
- IVF Tied to Higher Ovarian Cancer Risk?
- New Method May Detect Ovarian Cancer Earlier
- Nearly 60 Percent of Uterine Cancer Cases Preventable: Report