Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Causes

What caused your fatty liver? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: lar, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I had a back pain for the past 2 weeks and I thought it was a urinary tract infection. But according to the urine test it is not, so my doctor gave me painkiller and told me to try to exercise daily, but I still had pain and I couldn't have a good sleep. So I decided to go to the hospital and undergo ultrasound test on my lower abdomen, and they saw bright liver and the doctor said it was fatty liver. But 1 month before having this, I consumed so much of chocolate which I never did before. I still have pain but like pinching. I plan to lose weight and eat healthy.

Comment from: Steph B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

Wow, I am glad I came across this page. I no longer feel alone. I too have fatty liver disease, likely caused from my rapid weight gain of 50 lb. in a year. Symptoms I also have are extreme fatigue, acid reflux, daily headaches and migraines, GERD, constant burping no matter if I eat or not, and gas. This is no fun. I am now eating the healthiest I ever have and exercising 30 to 45 minutes each day. So far, one week in and I am down 4 pounds.

Comment from: EGC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

Metabolic syndrome was the cause of my fatty liver. High lipids (genetic) and consuming too much sugar also contributed. I never was a drinker, I'm not overweight and have normal BMI. Doctors missed my liver being enlarged until a gastroenterologist examined me after a normal routine colonoscopy. Four years of being tested for everything (kidney stone, gallbladder) and it was physical exam that led to the diagnosis which was confirmed by Fibroscan and everything but a liver biopsy.

Comment from: Rick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I started with shortness of breath and found out I had mild emphysema which scared me bad. My doctor put me on oxygen at night and I do my nebulizers usually once or twice a day. It seems to be worse in the mornings and then I'm ok throughout the day but I'm still really scared. I know that emphysema is a progressive disease and it's different with everybody. I just hope I have more time than I think.

Comment from: gardo5, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I believe my fatty liver was caused because I drank alcohol when I had glandular fever. I had glandular fever when I was 21, it took doctors 6 weeks to diagnose whilst it was my 21st birthday and Christmas, I drank too much. I was told I was lucky, if the germ migrated 3 or 4 more inches I would have died. Since then I suffer same ailments, I had 6 biopsies, all say fatty liver or NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) but not yet cirrhosis. For 30 years I am one short step to cirrhosis and shortening of life. Yes, I've also been tested for iron overload and copper overload.

Comment from: Deb, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I have had bariatric surgery Roux-en-Y and for the past three nights get up with black runny stools! On the first night with another that was brown, then night 2 I had 2 out of 3 black stools and last night 3 out of 3 were black runny stools!

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) finally about 18 months ago. I have had high ALT for at least ten years but only went to a doctor rarely. ALT is in the 180 to 100 range. I'm a farmer who is fit and strong, not overweight, and mostly well with most of the symptoms described. I may have had ten drinks per annum, no drug use legal or illegal, and healthy balanced diet, excellent cholesterol and just occasional high blood pressure. I drive heavy machinery daily so no booze. I had a bad marriage and divorced the wife; and lowered the ALT with low protein diet and vegetarian, which now works well. I have 1 gram of protein per day per kg of live weight; animal protein is hard on the liver, vegetarian diet feel heaps better. It's a lot a harder to be vegetarian than divorced.

Comment from: SM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

About a year and a half ago I was having severe pain in my upper right side. It wasn't very often but when it happened, it would wake me from my sleep. I went to the doctor and they did an ultrasound thinking maybe it was a cyst. When the results came in, it showed that I had fatty liver. I was then sent to a specialist where I was diagnosed with NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). I have metabolic syndrome, which includes high blood pressure, high cholesterol and elevated blood sugar. I am overweight and have been my entire life. My doctor said for me to lose weight and exercise. I am on pain medication that I take every day, along with blood pressure medications and cholesterol medications. My pain episodes seem to be getting worse and more frequent even with the medicine. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I have lost 38lbs. Last night I had an episode of severe pain and vomiting. This was the first time that the pain led to that. I go back to the doctor in a month and will have my enzymes tested along with other lab work.

Comment from: Max, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I have been diagnosed with NAFLD. I have never been obese and weight just 154 pounds for a height of 180 cm. The reason for my NAFLD is the abuse of high fructose corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup laden foods. I was big on waffles and pancakes with lots of sugar syrup, and ended up with NAFLD after years of abuse. However, the liver is a lot better now after I stopped consuming white sugar and high fructose corn syrup, and replaced these sugars with palm sugar and maple syrup. I also changed by diet from red meat diet to white meat and pulses diet. Another help in controlling this disease is drinking black coffee without sugar moderately.

Comment from: Kham, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I've been told I have fatty liver for over 10 years, but my doctor didn't give me any medication.

Comment from: Hoghead, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I am 42, used to lift weights, let the stomach go about 8 years ago and now I have a "beer belly" without drinking any. Despite that I have always had lots of muscle mass; I've been told I was morbidly obese for 5'11 and 275 lbs. Even at my lowest weight of 225 (the healthiest I've ever felt) I was still overweight due to muscle mass. However, for the past 4 years I have had slight nagging pains in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen, just below the rib cage. I recently broke some ribs and told the doctor of these pains. An ultrasound found that my liver is fatty and this is thought to be the reason for the infrequent pains. I'm taking this VERY SERIOUSLY and I am going to lose weight through diet. I have been a meat and taters man, but I can't go on like this forever.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

Advil. Six months ago, I was diagnosed with fatty liver. Since then, I have gained fourteen pounds, but my liver enzymes have dropped from 66 to 38. I abused Advil. I took it to maximum for years and you're only supposed to do that for six days. The medical establishment may be right to link obesity with fatty liver. All I know is that in my case, they were not. My weight gain was part of my recovery since it was gained through exercise.

Comment from: whisperingsage, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have been trying to eat right since my 20s. (I am now 48.) I have been obese and worsening since puberty. Weight loss has always been impossible. However, for the last two years, I have been having gallstone attacks. I went on a gallstone flush -- the long herbal one with great success. However, I have had pale diarrhea for eight years, and I knew my vitamin supplements were not getting used. I submitted stool samples to a doctor who had more than the ordinary lab testing done. The doctor diagnosed me with fatty liver and pancreatic insufficiency. He put me off all grains, even though my gluten intolerance test showed negative, and on less than 50 grams of carbs per day.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have the a fatty liver but I don't drink at all so I dug deep and found out that my cholesterol medication caused my fatty liver. I have started to take silymarin (milk thistle) and my liver is going okay now.

Comment from: Cathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I was informed today after a ultrasound that I had a fatty deposit on my liver. I have high cholesterol, GERD, and take Methotrexate for Psoriatic arthritis. I think the medicine may be the cause. I am hoping that it is just a fatty liver and nothing more serious. I will lose weight and hopefully that will help. I am constantly trying to do that.

Comment from: phil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I suppose there are several causes to reach this state of a fatty liver. I contracted HBV fifteen years ago from eating a breaded steak with a bandaid inside, I was negative for the virus from one blood test two days following the ingestion and postive on the two month follow-up. I had a horrible accident where I had to take NSAIDs for a very extended period of time, I have been off those for four years now. Finally I am overweight; although, I have lost 22 pounds over the past three months. Hopefully I will achieve a healthy 15% body fat level in the next four months.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter