Patient Comments: Fatty Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of fatty liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: tishy1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I was awakened at 12:30 am today with pain so bad I couldn't move. The pain starts near my sternum and also lower lobe at bottom of rib cage plus I've been having lower back pain as well. I've been to the clinic and see a gastroenterologist on a regular basis since 2002. Her biggest concern is cancer because of previous issues plus fatty liver and I'm in remission from hepatitis C. I also have other medical issues that get stuck in the mix of all this. I think some of the pain is from gastritis, but the doctor also thinks it is musculoskeletal, see his note below. We all have a lot in common, pain! It seems like it is something we'll have to live with at this point.

Comment from: Hera, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I started having pain a few years ago, I weigh about 180 lb. It was on vacation and my belly looked really pregnant. I came home and had occasional pain, and thought it was my bra strap. I put on more weight and then there was more pain. Last Christmas I was in a lot of pain, especially with fatty food or drinking. The doctors were telling me different things like irritable bowel syndrome, sluggish gallbladder, etc. I was having pain daily and lost about 5 lb., then pain started to subside (I should note, lying flat on my back is the best relief, wonder if anyone else finds that so). So after still having pain (even slight pain as I write) I was told I had a fatty liver, over the phone by my doctor's secretary. They haven't called me in to discuss at all. I get all my info online which is very contradictory, especially as to what foods to eat/avoid.

Comment from: v1mart, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was told I had fatty liver about 3 years ago when having an abdominal MRI done for an unrelated reason. However, no doctor ever made an issue of it and it was only in November of 2016 that I started having a bout of right upper abdominal pain and belching that lasted 2 to 3 days after eating 2 chocolate chip cookies. The gastroenterologist I went to noticed high liver enzymes and a liver lesion showed up on ultrasound which was later determined to be a fatty spot when I had an MRI done. Since then, I have tried to be much more mindful of what I eat and how much, but a day of too many carbs will usually cause slight pain/discomfort in the same region below my right breast. It takes about 2 to 3 days of better choices and activity to feel back to normal again. I take milk thistle and vitamin E and plan on adding probiotics before bedtime. I am 37 years old and about 180 pounds at 5 feet 3 inches. I have recently joined a weight watching program and am down a few pounds. I know I am overweight, but I know so many other people more overweight than me who have not had symptoms like this as of yet. I wonder what kind of dynamic goes on in the body of those of who manifest fatty liver symptoms sooner than others. Any information about how other people deal with this, how some have possibly overcome it would be of great interest to me.

Comment from: Natalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had bloating of the stomach for years and a dull ache that was always there. I had every test possible and they just put it down to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), so l just put up with it. But a few weeks back l was feeling very unwell and had a hard time getting all my urine out. I had to push down really hard to empty my bladder, so l went to the doctor and l thought l had a urinary tract infection (UTI), got some antibiotics and went home. On the 2nd night of taking the medications l woke up in the worst pain l had ever felt. My partner drove me to emergency and l had a catheter and some tests. What was strange is that my urine came back clear for infection but they did tell me l had a severe fatty liver but they don't know what caused the pain. I still am bloated and feeling sick.

Comment from: David747, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I was prescribed Advil for a prolonged period. Painkillers masked the pain, and I was not aware of the progress of the fatty liver disease until I began to faint after meals and had toxic shock episodes. I was also 40 lb overweight at the time. I was repeatedly misdiagnosed in emergency rooms, and by my primary care physician, who prescribed me Cymbalta for reporting these symptoms. So it took a significant amount of time before they realized my liver was 28 cm in size, after a couple of awful episodes. They believed I had seizures and made a CT scan of my abdomen because of breathing problems, and eventually radiologist's impressions noted my liver was off the charts. I managed now to get my liver size down to 17 cm in about six months. I stopped taking all of the medication. My temporary bed was a lazy boy recliner to prevent pressure on the liver and reduce gastric problems. I strictly avoided nicotine, MSG, alcohol, medicines, fats, sugar, and salt. I take milk thistle capsules, 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening. I take green tea half a gallon a day and black coffee, no sugar no sweetener. Typical breakfast is egg white on olive oil, one gluten-free toast, and black coffee. Typical main meal is steamed brown rice with small grilled piece of chicken breast, with very lightly seasoned cucumber salad or coleslaw without mayo or any other good cooked vegetables like bok choy, cauliflower or spinach. No dinner. No food six hours before bed time. For a while, it was very painful to eat, so it was not hard to stick to the diet. I felt incredibly weird when toxins were flowing through my veins; I had a feeling of floating with odd neural signals all over my body. I did not have much of appetite, was almost scared to eat, but it was all right because I lost most of the bad weight. I am still losing weight, but I can now tolerate larger portions for breakfast, like gluten-free pancakes with nuts and fruits, I also mix a bit of honey in my morning coffee. I manage to sleep on real bed, for about 4 to 5 hours in one piece. I now have enough energy to make 2000 to 3000 steps a day. I will likely take another 6 to 8 months until liver begins to regenerate at the faster pace, but it looks like I am on the right track.

Comment from: Lee H., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 57-year old man. A year ago I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease after my lipid panel came back with elevated results. I immediately stopped drinking alcohol and I began eliminating 'bad carbs' from my diet. My lipids are still elevated but I feel better. I have more energy and my mind is clearer. It is very challenging to eat well when I am not preparing my own meals, but I hope that fast food and regular restaurants will offer more healthful options as keto, paleo and other low-carb diets become more popular.

Comment from: NASH13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

My enlarged liver was found last year when I was in a car accident. I have been seeing doctors constantly since. I have found out that my doctors were aware before the accident but never bothered to tell me despite several emergency room trips over the course of two years where they just kept telling me I was having a bout of gastroenteritis. The accident broke vertebrae and bruised my liver more than the already present damage. I have since received the diagnosis as well as being told that I have thickening of my abdominal wall. I am a nurse and know that the thickening could be a sign of cancer. I cannot get any doctor to take this seriously and try to help me. I eat less than 1400 calories a day and now that my back has healed. I exercise an hour and half 3 to 4 times a week. My weight continues to rise though and I look 6 months pregnant. Still I cannot get them to take it seriously. I have been told I should not be having pain though I am in pain all day and vomit often from it. I am tired all the time so much so I have to mentally force myself to do everything I do. It scares me because I feel like I am dying and doctors just don't care. All I have been told was lose weight. When I tell them what I am doing already I get a flip response, 'Well do more'. I have frequent headaches and sometimes just wish it would kill me already because it has ruined my life. I am at least glad to see I am not alone.

Comment from: MsSara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

My journey with fatty liver started with losing weight rapidly, vomiting, fever, and terrible pain on my right side. After being told that it was anxiety numerous times, a mass was found by ultrasound and confirmed by CT. When it was removed from my liver it showed severe fatty liver. My doctors dismissed this and acted like it was no big deal. One month later my pain worsened and another mass was discovered. Biopsy showed a tumor of unknown origin and NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). Still the doctors where I live had no clue what NASH was and acted like I was crazy because my pain continued to get worse. I don't drink, not overweight, don't have diabetes or high cholesterol. Finally I called a well-known clinic outside of my state. This doctor knew exactly what NASH is and I was started on Trental and vitamin E over a week ago. I feel so sick, exhausted, and in terrible pain but I have hope. It amazes me with my experience and reading other's experiences that doctors treat NAFLD (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease) like it's a minor illness or they don't know what it is at all. Research and education is badly needed with these diseases.

Comment from: minikuroneko, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My symptoms of fatty liver have mostly included upper right abdominal pain, fatigue and steatorrhea (presence of excess fat in feces). I am a 27 year-old female, and was diagnosed at 24 through an ultrasound done to investigate the source of the persistent upper abdominal pain. I have never been overweight. I do not drink or smoke. I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure or hyperlipidemia. My liver enzymes have thankfully never been altered in any blood test, but the symptoms persist, and both ultrasound and contrast CAT scan are consistent with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), with a high degree of fat build-up. Doctors are split between two possible causes for my NAFLD, continued use of oral birth control or polycystic ovary syndrome. If you are a female NAFLD patient, please bear these two possible causes in mind. As a Veterinary Medicine Master's degree student I can attest that, medically, these are sound and probable causes for NAFLD, and are, unfortunately, underplayed and underrepresented online and otherwise.

Comment from: BNM52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I wonder if treatment for breast cancer can cause fatty liver. I had large amounts of steroids to prevent allergic reaction. My eyes were yellow and I had a rash that itched and looked like poison ivy. At one point my toenails and fingernails turned yellow, were thick and raised up. I lost some toenails. They cancelled my treatment for those 2 weeks. I told my doctor that I thought I needed to do a liver cleanse because I was toxic. They told me I had a fatty liver.

Comment from: shelley2655, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease on Friday. I was quite shocked and the doctor's physician assistant didn"t explain much about it, just that my enzymes were elevated and to eat a fat free diet. I was also told this could turn into cirrhosis of the liver, pretty scary. I have pain in the right side just under my ribcage and it radiates around to my back. I did find that laying on my right side helps relieve the pain. I did some research and I had every symptom. GERD, change in bowel habits, flaky patches on my skin, tiredness, no energy, etc.

Comment from: hope this helps, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I'm a 53-year-old white male. I have been diagnosed with NASH. I had always had blood work and a full physical performed on my 40th and then 50th birthdays. On my 40th, my liver enzymes where slightly abnormal, but I was told not to worry. On my 50th, the test showed high iron in the blood, and I began to worry. I also had a very dark urine stream. I was also having chest pains, which prompted more tests for the heart. These proved negative, which led them to do a CAT scan of the lungs. That also proved negative, but it showed a fatty liver. A liver biopsy showed cirrhosis, and the final diagnosis was NASH. I had a gene test that showed a bad gene. I have had the iron reduced through phlebotomy. I have also had pain in my knee joints, which is relieved by glucosamine. I have never been a drinker.

Comment from: Lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was diagnosed with fatty liver but not given much information. They don't know if it is NAFLD (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease) or NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). To lose weight I take vitamin E and Motrin. I also have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It was accidentally found through CT scan. My stomach swells when I eat very little. Don't know if this is the liver or stomach causing this.

Comment from: Sugarmagnolia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have had fatty liver and now have a little fluid buildup in my abdomen. I went to the doctor and he felt around under my rib cage and said there was a large mass there and it was not my liver. Because it feels like it is floating and can be moved slightly by his hand. I have been feeling this for about 2 years and always thought it was my liver.

Comment from: Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I suffer from excessive fatigue because of fatty liver.

Comment from: Blueiris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have just been diagnosed with fatty liver, nonalcoholic. For the past several years I have been living in chronic constant pain on the entire right side of my body. I have a lesion on my skull, I don't know what it is, scarring on my lungs, acid reflux, sliding hernia, vitamin D depletion, and sleep apnea. I've had two surgeries, one for my gallbladder and later wound up having a hysterectomy. I was a mess inside with terrible backaches, my bowels had been pushed into my back causing severe back pains, my bladder and bowels were glued to my uterus. My right sinus is always blocked and I have a horrible taste and smell, I have high blood pressure, and am a border diabetic. With so many chronic health issues going on especially the fatty liver causing so much pain, doctors could care less and would rather tell me to lose weight. I had to give up all physical activity because of the severity of pain I'm in. I don't know what else to do, I watch my diet and try to exercise as much as possible. I've seen 40 doctors to try and get the appropriate help, doctors don't care unless you have a sliver in your finger. I don't know what more to do, I'm exhausted.

Comment from: eileen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have BMI (body mass index) of18.5 but had total gastrectomy 5 years ago. My fatty liver was diagnosed incidentally when I felt very weak following antibiotic treatment for tuberculosis. I have no diabetes and have a generally low meat consumption.

Comment from: dazzer991, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I have enlarged liver with fatty content and I been having pain in my right and I am type one diabetic.

Comment from: RAYANNE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

It's been a year now, the upper right side of my tummy is bulging out, feels like if you poked me with something sharp I would pop. But then finally I was relieved of the pressure and pain. I was also diagnosed with a fatty liver only by ultra sound and elevated liver enzymes on blood test. I don't want to get the liver biopsy if there's no point, which it sounds like. Same advice they are going to give me; to lose weight. I'm trying but it's hard. I feel bad. I think my husband just thinks I'm crazy but I'm in pain all the time and when I hold our 1 year old son, after about 5 minutes. It is just awful. I am so glad I found this site and everyone is having exactly the same symptoms as me! I feel like crying everyday I'm so tired of dealing with the constant pain, it's so old I feel I cannot enjoy life anymore.

Comment from: Confused, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

I felt a pain under my right ribcage, only if touched. Ultra sound of the area showed nonalcoholic fatty liver. I've been given no instructions at all. It's like I have got it and there's no way to correct. I am 25 pounds overweight, under a lot of stress as caregiver for my disabled husband for past 16 years.

Comment from: BillB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a 20 year survivor of NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). I first noticed pain on my right side mostly while driving. Eventually my liver protruded downward past my belly button. The pain, from what I understand, is from my intestines hitting the sack that holds my liver. I can only sleep on my left side or else pain will start. It's been a tough and frightful ride but now I understand a new drug is on trial, called Intercept. I hope it's not too late for me.

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been having pain in my right side for years now. My appendix ruptured and was removed. My gallbladder wasn't working, so that too was removed. Since I continued to have pain, I went back to my doctor and after an ultrasound, was told that I have an enlarged or fatty liver. I am not extremely obese, but I am a little on the heavy side, so I was told to come down and to cut down on my fat intake. No one bothered to ask me about my diet. I rarely eat any fried foods whatsoever; I pretty much bake everything I eat (poultry and only certain types of fish) unless I am eating fruits and veggies. I am upset because I do not really know what else to do and I am still in pain. I have quit working because the pain is unbearable at times. My job was good to me and continued to pay my insurance for three months, but soon I will no longer have insurance.

Comment from: Nancy Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My fatty liver was found when I was having a chest CT scan. I had/have no liver pain. I am not a big drinker. I am also not overweight. I was sent to a specialist who did a liver biopsy and the results were fatty liver. My liver levels were normal in February of 2008, and in December of 2008, they were elevated. My Alt is 128 and AST is 69.

Comment from: Wisconsin Dad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I just learned of my tentative diagnosis of fatty liver. I'm 40, male, drink almost no alcohol (10 to 20 drinks per year), with a BMI of about 26 (not thin but not extremely overweight), and I am on no medications of any kind. I eat healthy, though a bit too much. I had an unrelated issue which was prompting me to visit the doctor more frequently, and part of those visits included a liver function test. Other than the albumin levels, which were at the top of the normal range (4.7), every other measure was smack dab in the middle of the normal range. But like others here I was having strange sensations in my upper right quadrant (just above/inside my lowest rib, down to a few inches below that rib, from 2" right of my sternum to about 7" from my sternum, along the rib line) - I was hesitant to even call it pain, more like little pinches every now and again when I moved, or sometimes a soreness, usually after eating. Also had/have some acid stomach issues after eating larger meals, and am experiencing a loss of appetite, accompanying weight loss and some nausea. I also felt that fullness others are describing - I found myself wiggling my torso left and right to see if it was just in my head or if something really did feel odd. Went in this morning for my ultrasound (thank God for speedy results!), and got the call a few hours later, that it appeared to be fatty deposits on my liver. We're scheduling a CT scan as a follow-up to confirm the diagnosis, and from there will discuss future plans for diet, exercise, medication. Hope that info can help someone.

Comment from: cord12, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had no symptoms that I was aware of until some routine blood tests came back with elevated liver enzymes. I was sent to a specialist who did more blood work and a sonogram. The blood work revealed that I also had increased iron levels. The sonogram showed nothing abnormal. He recommended a liver biopsy because of the high iron levels. The biopsy confirmed fatty liver but no stored deposits of iron in the liver. It has been recommended that I lose 10% of my body weight over the next year and return for blood work every six months.

Comment from: Grinch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 52 year old female who is overweight, but not severely. I have had pain in my back shoulder blade area for years and was diagnosed with reflux disease. Within the last year I have had pain in my ribs below my chest, chest pain, fullness in my right rib and pain in my right back ribs. In May blood tests showed liver enzyme levels were high. I have had a liver ultrasound, gallbladder function test (HIDA scan), and a CT scan. In the past my gallbladder ultrasounds were normal, but the HIDA showed that my gallbladder was filled with slug and not working. I will be having my gallbladder removed in Dec and they will also be doing a liver biopsy as they believe I have NASH. I have been trying to lose weight, only occasionally have any alcoholic beverages and have been watching my carbs. So far I have lost about 10 lbs. and I am feeling somewhat better, but still have the fullness in the right rib area as if a tennis ball is in there.

Comment from: gloria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was hit by a car while bike riding and shortly after was told I had an enlarged liver. My stomach area had started to get enlarged and I had soreness, but being hit by a car I was sore all over and do not have a family doctor. I just go to clinics, and rarely see the same doctor, plus you can only have three questions, so to say the least my health care has been very neglected. I have been fatigued, bleeding under skin, least little bit of pinch from my watch on my arm and I have big bloody mark, almost white stool, constant full feeling difficulty getting full breath of air. Four years later I went to Toronto Clinic had complete checkup and was told I have heterogeneous increased attenuation primarily in the right lobe likely related to patchy fatty infiltration and the pancreas mildly echogenic secondary to fatty infiltration. I would really like to know if trauma can cause this to happen to a very fit, muscular, healthy active person. I was 145 pounds. I now am 186 pounds due to not being able to continue my regular activities. What causes this fatty infiltration?

Comment from: alcapone, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 11

I have hemochromatosis an iron overload disease along with a fatty liver. I am taking vitamin E, milk thistle and dandelion, and totally avoiding high fructose corn syrup. And McDonalds.

Comment from: San, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 53 year old female who just had some blood test done. It came back and the doctor told me I have a fatty liver. I have very little pain but I am tired.

Comment from: Calfornian Vegan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I had been suffering from a dull abdominal pain (upper right) for about 5 years. Went through all the procedures, CT, MRI, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy. Myriads of pharma - nothing got rid of the dull pain. Finally saw a new GP and he prescribed Nortriptyline a low grade pain killer at a very low dose. Within 3 days the pain was subsided and now it is gone altogether. This is just masking the symptoms but anytime you can relieve the pain it's ok with me! Finally, during my annual checkup, bloodwork came back all messed up. Diagnosed with Graves (hyperthyroid). Got that under control and next blood tests showed elevated liver panels. Diagnosed NASH. I don't drink, not obese ...not sure why I have this. Seeing GI specialist tomorrow to find out the extent of liver damage. My main point on writing this was that Nortriptyline really did help my abdominal pain.

Comment from: maurajd79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had pains on my right side for a while, then it got to where it was unbearable, especially after eating (would have to prop myself up on my elbow to have some relief), at times felt as bad as labor pains and would swell so much I could see it. I went to the doctor, thinking gallbladder and after poking and asking questions, stated I needed an ultrasound. Went and had it done and was informed I have NASH. I am 34 and overweight, so was informed to lose about 10 pounds a month, no fried foods, only baked or grilled, lots of veggies, fruits and whole grains. Since late April, have lost 25 pounds and changed my eating. Still working on exercise routine (hard working full time, mother of a 5 year old and house chores after work) but I am getting active when I can. Still have pains, and will have more testing in September to see if now my gallbladder is acting up. Overall, happy with the lifestyle changes and it is helping my family as a whole be healthier. Disappointed in myself that I got this way by eating bad foods, but just lucky they caught it early enough where it can possibly heal.

Comment from: Jody, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Oh wow – other NASH people! Several doctors tested and retested my gallbladder, due to extreme pain. I had CT scans and ultrasounds. Finally, three more ultrasounds were done while training a new person. This time, it was rubbed all over my stomach instead of just on the gallbladder. Of course, I was sent to my doctor right away. Here's my question – I noticed many of you rarely drink, or don't drink at all, like myself. But my mother is an alcoholic. I was curious if there are any studies related to the chances of a fetus getting NASH from a drinking mother.

Comment from: tallblond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was told by a doctor a month ago, while having a surgery, that my liver looked white and abnormal. I had all labs and a CT scan done, and it is all normal. I am thin, weight 130 pounds, am tall, have never been a drinker; I exercise, and eat OK. I have pain and fullness in my abdomen. The doctor says I may have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), but I do not have all the symptoms. I feel frustrated and am wondering if I should get a second opinion.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed because I had pain where the liver is. I couldn't seem to lose weight no matter what I did. My stomach kept bloating up, and it would be hard to breathe. The ultrasound showed diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver.

Comment from: Judith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I took a three week trip last June 2008. I thought maybe my posture wasn't good because I kept having a pain under the right rib cage. After about 10 weeks I went to my doctor, she sent me for an ultrasound and the diagnosis was fatty liver. The only advice was to watch what I ate and lose weight. I have lost 16 pounds but every so often I have very painful attacks.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 78-year-old mom had an ultrasound to check out her gallbladder, and the results came back “fatty liver.” She has terrible eating habits and eats lots of fatty foods. She was feeling sick and nauseated after eating.

Comment from: Jeannie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My liver has swelled a lot and is very painful. I had an ultrasound and a CT scan that confirmed my liver is 23 cm. That was three months ago, it's bigger now. My liver function tests are normal. I'm waiting for a biopsy. It's very frustrating! I know something is wrong, and I'm still waiting for an answer. I'm a 48-year-old female and overweight.

Published: July 23

I was having heavy menstrual bleeding and clotting which led eventually to D & C's. When I was having an ultrasound for the above mentioned problem the technician noticed abnormalities in the liver. The doctor requested further scans and the fatty liver diagnosis was reached. Unfortunately, my primary care physician did not think this was any problem so it was dismissed. 18 years later, I was diagnosed with NASH and cirrhosis.

Published: July 14

Prior to having the ultra sound, I was experiencing attacks everyday and missed a lot of work as a result of it. I am experiencing a number of symptoms. Mine first started with severe pain in the upper chest where the ribs separate. I thought for sure it was gallbladder attacks as it penetrated through to the back. I experienced severe bloating and excessive stomach acids after the onset of this pain. I walked the floors for hours at night. First, these symptoms would occur after eating the evening meal, then changed to anytime. This went on for about 4 years. Now the pain is more localized to the upper right rib area where it feels as if there is not enough room in there for everything. Even if I get hungry, the onset of acids and bloating react the same as if I had eaten. I was diagnosed with fatty liver after an ultra sound. I am now experiencing abdominal cramping and going to the bathroom more often. That is a huge change for me. The doctor has also informed me that my good cholesterol levels have dropped 30%, while the bad cholesterol was good. (I take medication to control the bad cholesterol). He seemed very concerned about that. I had an ultra sound 3 years ago, but they found nothing. I had pain and discomfort for about a year before that.

Published: July 09

I began having pain in my abdomen the first of the year. I thought it was a kidney stone again. After several tests including a liver biopsy I was diagnosed with fatty liver. My doctor said it wasn't fat build up but too much carbs and sugar in my liver. I'm confused, everything I've read on fatty liver talks about too much fat in the liver not carbs and sugar. I am over weight I lost 60 pounds three years ago and I've been gaining and loosing the same 10-15 pounds the past year.

Published: July 09

The suspicion of Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease started after finding my Liver enzymes were elevated on a blood test for a life insurance policy. At that time I did not have any symptoms. Shortly after the diagnoses I began having a dull ache and a feeling of fullness to the upper right quadrant of my abdomen.

Published: June 27

I have had pain now for many years. I have had my gallbladder removed, appendix removed, scar tissue removed, hysterectomy (everything there removed). Now i am told that the pain is from a fatty liver. I also have no lining in my stomach due to high acid eating away at my stomach. I was told that I had to loose weight. That is what would stabilize the liver. I am overweight and have been trying to loose weight for years and it is not that easy.

Published: June 25

Upper right quadrant pain, mild and elevated enzymes for over 6 months before they did a biopsy. Now, about 2 years later, liver enzymes are raised even more and pain is moderate and radiates to back. Going to the doctor again next month.

Published: June 25

Nauseated all the time, eating Phenergan tablets daily, mid back pain with severe pain in the right rib area. Dr. has said for the past 1 or 2 years that my side pain is muscle spasms. I can assure you it is not. A few years ago, I had pain in my mid back and side for and suffered for a year, my gp said nothing is wrong with you. After suffering every night from 2 -5 am with severe acute pain, and working a full time job, I just couldn't take it anymore. I drove myself to the er at 5:30am, the er doctor looked at me and said where are you hurting, he ask for an ultrasound on my gallbladder which showed over 3o gallstones and said they would have to remove my gallbladder right then. My point is, I am hurting in the exact same spots as when I was having gallbladder attacks. I had a Doppler Ultrasound last week. I called for results today, nurse said I had a fatty liver, it is very common, blah, blah, blah. She apparently has not suffered with gut wrenching pain for over a year while her doctor told her nothing is wrong. I know something is wrong with my liver or pancreas; I just can't get any help. If anyone has any situation like this or has any answers, please reply.

Comment from: maggie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Wow, I am a nurse and have been suffering with pain in the right side, feeling like something is pushing my ribs apart and the right side also protrudes out farther than the left. I finally got my Doc to listen, had an ultrasound and her medical asst called me and very rudely told me that I needed to lose weight. I said, no kidding. It is getting worse and I have heard that they really should do a biopsy to get an accurate diagnosis. I am just frustrated with how hard it is to get anyone to listen to you and do something to help. It is very painful. Has anyone else had the swelling or protrusion? If so, what do your doctor say?

Comment from: diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

About 5 years ago I had elevated enzymes and was sent to a liver doctor who then diagnosed fatty liver. This past year my enzymes have been increasing with every blood test. My PCP thought it may have been due to a statin drug which I had been taking. After being off the drug for 2 months, more blood work was done and still my enzymes continued to climb. I had an ultrasound done and am scheduled for a liver biopsy. I am 54, type II diabetic with metabolic syndrome.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter