Patient Comments: Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fainting? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: wboyd777, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I was in a water craft accident and the hematoma stays the same. I also have constant pain and the bruise keeps getting bigger and the bottom has now spread to the bottom of my foot. It seems like it looks really red and not getting better. When I am on it my leg swells like my circulation is getting cut off. I am on blood pressure and cholesterol medications.

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 23

I had a barium swallow and that night stomach pain on the right side. Two days later the pain is so severe with constipation. They should tell you what could happen and give you follow up on what to do. There is still barium in my stool. The pain is like pancreatitis. Hopefully it will go away in the morning. Of course tomorrow it is Sunday and no doctor appointments will be available. So emergency room is my only alternative.

Comment from: Coloeado, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 23

I fainted four different times. I saw a doctor and shared that I took 5000 units of vitamin D. I took myself off it and no more fainting. He shared the same thing had happened to him!

Comment from: DMW, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

Water has been effective. My first fainting episode happened while urinating and landed me on a concrete floor exploding a vessel that was repaired. Second time was the same thing; urinating. Both were from dehydration. So I use water in between coffee and unsweet tea for drinks. First episode I drank beer only. I'll stick to the water intake method unless it happens again.

Comment from: PanicG1rl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been experiencing fainting spells for about 3 years now. I have panic disorder, uterine fibroids and ulcers. The last time I passed out, I also had a seizure. I feel like I am getting worse. I can tell the doctor doesn't know what to do with me. I am in the middle of testing now, EKG blood work, and the like. Sometimes I wonder if it's all in my head.

Comment from: coolio9008, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was shopping in a store whenever I felt nauseated and hot. I went outside to cool off and get fresh air thinking I was only going to throw up. I got outside and everything turned blurry, I couldn't hear. The next thing I knew, I was laying out in the middle of the parking lot where I had fainted. I thought, "You have to move. A car could hit you." I crawled back to the curb and then fainted again. When I came to, they had called an ambulance and I was going to the hospital. They thought I had injured my back and neck but hadn't. They ran multiple blood tests, an EKG, and other tests but couldn't find a cause of my fainting. It is scary and I am afraid it is going to happen again.

Comment from: Melly26, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I was home at night and I was standing watching TV (in a normal lit room). Then, I got dizzy for some apparent reason. I tried to turn around and walk to the kitchen to get some water, but before I can even start walking, my vision got fuzzy and I blacked out. Next thing I know, I'm on the floor excruciating pain on my neck and arm. It turns out when I fell, I hit my neck on my glass table. My dad did some research and found out that most likely I fainted because of stress, too much caffeine, or lack of potassium.

Comment from: jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have been experiencing syncope symptoms for two and a half years. I have had countless investigations from bp monitors, mri's, a week in hospital being videoed with neuro leads. Recently I was fitted with a heart loop which picked up that my heart had been stopping during the blackout, which resulted in emergency treatment to fit a pace maker. This surgery went wrong the wires caused damage to my heart. I still have blackouts and am awaiting further tests. I am finding the whole experience increasingly distressing and can see no light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: lookelou, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 26

My husband is 64. He is fainting frequently and is now getting hurt when he falls. It is generally when he stands and takes 4 to 5 steps although it happened in Wal-Mart when he was in the middle of shopping. He's had a tilt table, EKG, ECCO, Cortoriod Artery ultra sound, worn a heart monitor for 24 hours, CAT scan of his brain, had his blood pressure meds reduced and asked to eat salt. But nothing is found. He is diabetic and is trying to lose weight. He's 265 after losing 35 lbs. over several months (1 to 2 lbs. week) by cutting back. He has PTSD and has had ECT's monthly for a year and several times prior to that in two week sets. His memory is terrible. He is concerned he can't remember anything after a few minutes. We are concerned. Docs can't figure it out.

Comment from: mybunnybell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

My first experience was when I was 7. My parents split up. Sitting in a chair, I felt dizzy and fell out of chair but did not lose consciousness. After that, every few years if under a lot of stress, I would feel dizzy and would watch my eyes roll back in head. I would awake and find myself on floor. No idea how long I was out. This year (April 2012), I was under immense stress due to a job-related issue. I awoke in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. While sitting, I felt dizzy. I was awakened by my fiancée because he heard a thud noise in bathroom. Ended up in the emergency room with a bad concussion. Since then I've had 4 more episodes. Many tests and no answers. My older daughter had her first episode at 7 and several more since. Is this something hereditary?

Comment from: Rene205, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am 37 and can remember having fainting episodes as a child maybe once a year. I seem to experience pre-fainting more often now. Most of it is while standing. Laying down helps me when I start feeling warm, with a light sweat, and the room is getting dim. If I drink something cool that helps also. I did blackout and fall with minor injuries when I got up from lying down to quick. It helps to know that others have similar experiences with syncope and not feeling odd because the doctor cannot find why this happens.

Comment from: take5hair, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I FINALLY have a diagnosis! The Syncope was detected by a Tilt Table Test, and an Electrician side Cardiologist that UNDERSTANDS the situation, because he himself has Vasovagal Syncope! My biggest issue is to be SURE I am drinking a large amount of liquids per day, to eat pretzels or something with some salt if I feel dizzy or pre-fainting, and I also am low on electrolytes so keeping Gatorade or Propel around for drinking when the symptoms begin. I also know standing too long, or starting to sweat too much is a pre-syncope sign of fainting so to sit down or put my legs up is helpful.

Comment from: Busi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Im 27 years old and have been suffering from random blackouts since 2007. Usually it happens in the mornings. I feel nauseous, start getting a cold sweat and next thing I'm waking from the floor. My Doctor diagnosed an iron deficiency but I have since sorted that out and even donate blood yet I'm still getting the fainting spells. I've been referred to a specialist for tests, hopefully I will get to the bottom of it.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

We were sitting and chatting the next moment I was very tired woke up later will people was putting a wet cloth on my neck and face.

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am stage 4 colon cancer receiving chemo. I have had very few side effects. However, twice about 2 days after receiving chemo when feeling the need to have a bowel movement, I started chills, sweats, and sinking feeling. Both times I was seen by paramedics - low heart rate and blood pressure. A few minutes before the episode I felt fine. I think my vasovagel nerve must be getting more sensitive so as the abdominal cramping starts, the reaction takes place. If anyone has a similar story would love to hear if you have found a way to curtail these episodes.

Comment from: dinosaurluver99, 7-12 Female Published: May 13

I'm 12 I was at school and a foot ball jabbed my thumb. I didn't feel dizzy until we lined up to go inside then the world started spinning and I got dizzy I leaned on a friend next to me and closed my eyes to try to calm the dizziness but when I opened my eyes I was on the ground with every one surrounding me. Some people said I walked to another friend leaned on him the just fell. I didn't remember any of that.

Comment from: lbits, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I am 38 and I have had the same problem since 2004. The doctors told me the same thing, that there is nothing they can do for me. I have been on disability since 2007.

Comment from: chandra, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

While I was throwing some waste material out of my door, the door came back and got hit hard. Started bleeding a little from my thumb and index fingers. Once I washed the wound, I started feeling more pain and within few seconds I blacked out and collapsed to ground. Luckily, my family members were around and my mom sprinkled water on my face, which brought me back to consciousness. I was normal after that and running with just couple of Band-Aids after that.

Comment from: Ruth Ann, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I have a friend that started fainting at work while standing, then she had to stay at home because it was happening so often during the day. Now she faints while sitting and laying in bed. The lines in her hands have turned black. She is 44 years old and has asthma. Lost count of the doctors and tests that she has seen and been through. Anyone have any advice for where to go. Basically the doctors have said there is nothing they can do for her and told her to get started on her disability.

Comment from: Donna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have fainted on occasion and my doctor put me on Toprol XL because he said my blood pressure and heart rate was very low. That didn't work too well so he installed a pacemaker that would activate when I needed it to. I am 24 years old and would like to know what my future holds using the pacemaker.

Comment from: :), 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I found out I have syncope, because of a depletion of electrolytes. If you have the same thing, the best treatment would just to drink a Gatorade a day. I'm fine whenever I have one. If I miss it for a week or so, I will start having the blackouts and fainting spells. Hope this helps!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have been fainting for probably 10 years. A doctor recently put me on Midrodrine 10 mg. and it has worked well, but on 1/11/11 I had another incident; this one was a little different. Usually I get myself right up, this time my husband heard the thud and came running - he picked me up- all was just like any other time and all is ok. I'm just trying to live my life. I want to live 'til I die.

Comment from: angeliickiss, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Hi, I am 29 years old and have had fainting spells since 2001. When they first started, I would be either in the shower or getting out when I would get dizzy, start sweating, and have some abdominal pain - then I would find myself on the floor. My mom would rush to my aid and give me orange juice to drink. But during the time I am blacked out, my mom said my lips were blue and it would take her to slap me in the face and screaming my name to wake me up. I started to wonder if I was diabetic, well after having my family doctor do blood work and everything else, I was told I wasn't a diabetic and to not worry. Some people faint for no reason. I'm sorry, but this is my life and I refuse to just take that as an answer. Well, as time went on it got to the point to where I would have a fainting episode once every few months. I am really scared.

Comment from: crystalbay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I've had fainting spells off and on my entire life. I even wondered if I had mild agoraphobia since these episodes only happen when I'm in public places like theaters, ball games, restaurants, etc. If I've eaten anything just before going out or while I'm out, this quickly leads to signs of fainting. The worst part of these episodes is an overwhelming feeling that I must immediately lay down flat and this is impossible in public places. I think that the anxiety of not being able to escape by lying down exacerbates my symptoms, but it's just too embarrassing to do. I live in fear that this will happen and someone will call 911 for something I know is quite temporary. It's gotten so bad that I'm unwilling to make plans to leave the house to meet friends. There are no "triggers" for these events (no pain, fear, needle pricks, bad news, stress, etc). Eating seems to be the only identifiable precursor. I do think that knowing I'm trapped and can't lay down in public places causes increased anxiety, which in turn makes things worse.

Comment from: cccquilter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I have fainted once due to swallow syncopy. I have managed to keep from fainting the other times. This happens a couple of times a year only upon swallowing food; mostly bread products, but the time I fainted was recently and I was eating chips. I postulate that I am not eating too fast - I am swallowing too quickly for the amount of food in my mouth. It is an indescribable feeling; a feeling of rushing in my throat and chest yet no dizziness, but there is a feeling of extreme lightheadedness. If I am standing I grip the counter or whatever is close and concentrate on staying conscious. It usually works. This happens, as I said, about twice a year and I remember it happening back to my late teens or early twenties.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter