Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Teri Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I do not totally faint, but tingly feeling comes from my legs upward, nausea, profuse sweating, can't lift my arms, can't walk, and hearing is muffled. This only happens when I eat outside when it is hot and humid. I feel like I'm going to die. Once I throw up, I'm back to normal. It's horrible! It's happened about 8 times in the past 8 years. No more outdoor eating events for me!

Comment from: Drpprmt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Four weeks ago while camping, I was walking, passed out and hit the pavement head first. I know I passed out because I didn't use my hands to break my fall. I sustained a concussion, a broken rib and needed stitches. I have a rare arrhythmia and have been taking medication for it. The specialist is going to put a loop recorder under my skin to record my heart. Last year, before being diagnosed with the arrhythmia, I fell but always caught myself. No matter where I am now, or what I am doing, In the back of my mind, I am afraid I will pass out and fall again.

Comment from: emschardonnay, 75 or over (Patient) Published: November 22

I am a diabetic controlled; on no medications. I fainted this morning while having coffee. I had no symptoms before the faint. I thought the chair was tipping over but it was me and I fell flat on my face and hurt my nose. I did not pass out; just lay there till my daughter heard me a few seconds later. I sat up and stayed on floor for a while. I seemed ok at that point. My son in law took my blood pressure and it was 156 over 80, usually it is 132/78-80. I do take blood pressure medication. I am feeling ok now after eating a bagel and banana. I am just wondering if I should go to urgent care. I am on vacation right now.

Comment from: Carly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I have identified a new cause of syncope. I fainted frequently for a while because I had a hideously exhausted brain after having played too many brain games out of struggling with reasoning. When I started to take a break from brain games, the fainting as well as facial tics gradually got milder. Once my brain felt relaxed enough, I could make better decisions and determine how to speed a step of recovery. I tried pressing my head against a pillow and my hands really hard, and that minimized the facial tics. I wish the law would allow me to drive again sooner because I haven't seriously felt confused from fainting. I think it would be best for me to wait until I have stopped having trouble breathing, thinking of what to say, and having facial tics.

Comment from: Magwaggi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

Before I fainted, I could 'see' a memory in my mind. It was a picture of something (which I can't remember now), but it was so persistent that it would not go away. I tried to get this picture out of my mind, but I felt this 'picture' was beginning to take over and block my normal thinking. I managed to say 'Oh no' and put my elbows on the table I was sitting at, and then I passed out. I did not fall to the floor. Ambulance arrived and I was taken to hospital. Blood taken, hooked up to monitors, nothing abnormal. I will have a Holter monitor fitted when I can get an appointment. The same thing happened to me 3 years ago. I had a CT scan done at that time. But again, everything was normal. Very worrying. Obviously I don't drive for now, but would like to know what is going on.

Comment from: Ozzie32, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 04

Don't forget that a very common cause for fainting is dehydration.

Comment from: Gordon5458, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I woke up, walked to the kitchen, and fainted, I don't know why.

Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your fainting?
Fainting (Syncope) - Causes Question: What caused your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your fainting (syncope)?
Fainting (Syncope) - Diagnosis Question: After fainting, what medical tests and exams did you have? What was the diagnosis?