Patient Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Teri Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I do not totally faint, but tingly feeling comes from my legs upward, nausea, profuse sweating, can't lift my arms, can't walk, and hearing is muffled. This only happens when I eat outside when it is hot and humid. I feel like I'm going to die. Once I throw up, I'm back to normal. It's horrible! It's happened about 8 times in the past 8 years. No more outdoor eating events for me!

Comment from: Drpprmt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Four weeks ago while camping, I was walking, passed out and hit the pavement head first. I know I passed out because I didn't use my hands to break my fall. I sustained a concussion, a broken rib and needed stitches. I have a rare arrhythmia and have been taking medication for it. The specialist is going to put a loop recorder under my skin to record my heart. Last year, before being diagnosed with the arrhythmia, I fell but always caught myself. No matter where I am now, or what I am doing, In the back of my mind, I am afraid I will pass out and fall again.

Comment from: emschardonnay, 75 or over (Patient) Published: November 22

I am a diabetic controlled; on no medications. I fainted this morning while having coffee. I had no symptoms before the faint. I thought the chair was tipping over but it was me and I fell flat on my face and hurt my nose. I did not pass out; just lay there till my daughter heard me a few seconds later. I sat up and stayed on floor for a while. I seemed ok at that point. My son in law took my blood pressure and it was 156 over 80, usually it is 132/78-80. I do take blood pressure medication. I am feeling ok now after eating a bagel and banana. I am just wondering if I should go to urgent care. I am on vacation right now.

Comment from: Carly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I have identified a new cause of syncope. I fainted frequently for a while because I had a hideously exhausted brain after having played too many brain games out of struggling with reasoning. When I started to take a break from brain games, the fainting as well as facial tics gradually got milder. Once my brain felt relaxed enough, I could make better decisions and determine how to speed a step of recovery. I tried pressing my head against a pillow and my hands really hard, and that minimized the facial tics. I wish the law would allow me to drive again sooner because I haven't seriously felt confused from fainting. I think it would be best for me to wait until I have stopped having trouble breathing, thinking of what to say, and having facial tics.

Comment from: Magwaggi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

Before I fainted, I could 'see' a memory in my mind. It was a picture of something (which I can't remember now), but it was so persistent that it would not go away. I tried to get this picture out of my mind, but I felt this 'picture' was beginning to take over and block my normal thinking. I managed to say 'Oh no' and put my elbows on the table I was sitting at, and then I passed out. I did not fall to the floor. Ambulance arrived and I was taken to hospital. Blood taken, hooked up to monitors, nothing abnormal. I will have a Holter monitor fitted when I can get an appointment. The same thing happened to me 3 years ago. I had a CT scan done at that time. But again, everything was normal. Very worrying. Obviously I don't drive for now, but would like to know what is going on.

Comment from: Ozzie32, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 04

Don't forget that a very common cause for fainting is dehydration.

Comment from: Gordon5458, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I woke up, walked to the kitchen, and fainted, I don't know why.

Comment from: Kari, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

The first time I blacked out was at 7 years old when my hamster bit me. Second time at 7 was when I had blood drawn. I have to lie down when I have blood drawn. I black out and have a major seizure when I am stressed also. I have blacked out when sitting and once fell in a doctor's office when nobody was supervising me. I ended up hitting my head and getting a black eye. When I have a seizure, I am told my eyes roll back in my head with severe shaking and tremors all over. My hands ball up in a fist so tight my nails cut into my hands. I also have low blood pressure and feel faint when I stand up. I also get severe vertigo and have balance problems. Doctors have never given me any solutions or explanations of any of these incidents. I am really frustrated since I don't know what to do or how to prevent these episodes. I have tried yoga but can't do the moves where I put my head down and then get up since I get so dizzy. My balance is terrible so I also have to hang onto something to balance if I try standing on one leg so I don't fall. I have a history of falls and have fractured my vertebrae from falling. It is really scary since I live alone and don't know what I will do if I have a bad fall at home with no one to help me. This is all very difficult to live with and I am always afraid of having some kind of accident. Sometimes I am afraid to drive. I feel limited in my activities and since I fractured my vertebrae I now have trouble standing for more than a few minutes due to my back being in pain after 7 years.

Comment from: Shelly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My problems with syncope usually happen when I have vomiting or abdominal pain from a stomach virus, or if I have even a slight fever at the beginning of the flu. I have had fainting happen twice when the technician was trying to get blood sample. My veins are small and the attempt was very painful. Also it happened once right after waking up from a hernia repair when I was feeling abdominal pain. When this happens, I feel extremely weak, unable even to hold my head up, and my blood pressure drops very low. I have had a tilt table test, and have had an echo cardiogram, but both were normal. I have normal weight and exercise regularly, get checkups regularly. I do have fibromyalgia and have had a partial thyroidectomy.

Comment from: Rita, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

I fainted at my uncle's wife's funeral. My aunt was only 36 years, young with 3 kids, 19, 17, and 11 years of age. I was devastated because we were very close, her loss was agony to me. When I saw her in her casket, I recall thinking the embalmer did an extraordinary job, then suddenly, I felt tingly all over and my legs felt like jelly and then I fell backwards in to a friend's arms. Twenty seconds later I awoke in a chair with people around me who told me I fainted.

Comment from: JLO, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I fainted in college, faint when I donate blood and recently when my youngest was admitted for pneumonia while there they were swapping his IV (I am not squeamish). I told the nurse I thought I would faint, walked to the bed, got to my knees and passed out, came to and passed out again. I tend to be dizzy a lot. Back in college the neurologist said I have an abnormal normality, in other words X percent of population has this neurologic abnormality that makes it totally normal. I feel light headed before an episode usually warm/hot/ stuffy/like I'm going to get sick, then the black spots move in and I know if I don't get to a 'safe' position I may or may not go out. Everything is fine afterwards, we chalked my last episode up to exhaustion and dehydration.

Comment from: robin, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I don't know if I passed out or blacked out. I got up feeling ok, and went to take a shower. As I was washing I felt very dizzy and fell out of the shower. Everything went with me when I landed on the floor cracking my tail bone.

Comment from: Peperscent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

When a fainting episode started, I'd see black spots, but wouldn't be able sit down. Then I'd get the shakes, like a seizure then black. Now there's absolutely no sign. I had 10 concussions last year, and shattered my ankle. And even had a ceramic slow cooker fall break over my head, pork roast and all. The doctors only suggest fludrocortisone and salt. My blood pressure is 80 over66 still. That's healthy.

Comment from: golfnskimomma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have had a long history of benign fainting spells since I was a child. The good news is that I almost always have an aura or sense that I am going to faint. Knowing the consequences, I usually drop to the floor so that I won't fall to the floor and hurt myself. The outage is extremely brief and I quickly return to normal activity once I resume wakefulness.

Comment from: DonRob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I first had a fainting episode approximately 7 years ago while flying. I was watching a movie and all of a sudden I found myself with an oxygen tube under my nose. I did not realize I had passed out. I was told that if I was alright, to contact my doctor when I returned home. I was diagnosed with vasovagal attack, due to low fluid intake and not enough salt in my diet. I had one episode after that about 3 years later while in my doctor's office. I have learned also that because of my age I should slow down a bit when I get up after either waking up or sitting for a long time. It gives the blood a chance to flow back up from your legs to the rest of your body. Well worth the advice of my cardiologist and my regular doctor. Following their advice has been very helpful and at my current age (88) I am doing just fine.

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I got Charlie horse cramps in both legs, tried to stand up to relief the pain, and fainted. After testing hospital thinks I am dehydrated.

Comment from: sweety girl, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 11

My father who is 99 years is being transferred back and forth from nursing home to the hospital with fainting episodes. We can't figure out why he faints and then moments later up. For months we have been going to emergency rooms! I wonder if the medicines he takes contribute to this.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I've fainted a number of times over my life. I developed migraines at 18 that affected my eyesight. When I started taking contraceptives I started to pass out without warning. I crashed into my mom's table and chairs, which gave me a black eye for my wedding! I even fainted without warning on the back of our motorbike. Scary! I had a CT scan that just showed a migraine condition that I knew about already. I had to stop the pill since I was pregnant anyway! So much for that. Migraines have stopped pretty much now but I had a sudden attack of nausea and everything was spinning around about fifteen years ago now. I passed out continually was taken to emergency. They said I had a low grade fever and an inner ear virus. My two daughters caught it from me and my oldest being taken to hospital by ambulance. We were vomiting continually and passing out. I never heard of inner ear virus before. It was scary!

Comment from: catzia, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 02

I had several blackouts in one week till doctor figured I have syncope. It is not easy I had hot flashes. I have serious dizziness. I didn't black out and fall, it occurs when I sit. I haven't found any answers but, I took blood pressure pills and headache pills for my migraines. Now I am aware of signs before I get black outs, so I am more prepared nowadays. I avoid hot weather and keep myself as cool as I can.

Comment from: bardal, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 02

My daughter is 31 years old and has been healthy all her life. She started passing out almost daily. After lots of tests, result is neurocardiogenic syncope and bradycardia. Doctors say there is no known cure and does not usually last a life time, it should go away at some point. This has made her life difficult as she has 2 small boys and husband. She cannot work/drive. I am fearful of her getting hurt.

Comment from: Brunocenguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

On January 09, 2015 I was at a restaurant having dinner. While eating a slice of pie, with no warning prior, I passed out while I was seated in the booth. I was alone. I came to after opening my eyes and saw that I was looking at the seat of the booth. I raised myself up in the sitting position and was confused and disoriented. But I knew something happened. I had pie filling on my sleeve, and the plate, fork, and dessert were in disarray on the table. I thought that my heart had stopped and this is why I passed out. I don't know how long I was out, because nobody in the restaurant even knew I had fallen over on my right side. I drove home about a mile away. I was nervous about what happened. To be on the safe side, I went outside with my cell phone and called 911. The paramedics arrived and took my vitals. They took me to hospital and I was there from 10:30 pm until my discharge at 06:30 pm on the 10th of January 2015. I was given a chest x-ray, CT scan, and blood work for the lab. The doctor came to visit me and had told me about syncope. All my tests came back normal. However, I am a cardiac patient with history of heart attack, hypertension, artery disease, and high cholesterol. Also I am a cigarette smoker, which I know is the cause of my past and present heart conditions and problems. I don't want to smoke anymore but it is very difficult since I am single, and am addicted to the nicotine of tobacco! I start a smoking cessation program in a few weeks, and I hope this will help me to quit before the smoking kills me at age 51. Thanks for reading my story.

Comment from: Darnoc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

I get thigh cramps and then pass out with a horrible tingling in my nose and head rolling as if drunk. I then wake up as if dozens of people are shouting at me, feeling very tense and soaking wet.

Comment from: Melody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

On June 10, 2015 I went for routine blood and urine tests. Lab technician tried my left arm first and hit a nerve. Then tried my right arm and was able to draw blood but halfway through the second vial I passed out. They were able to wake me long enough to drink a bit of apple juice then out again. I was awake long enough to get into a wheel chair but really out of it. They got me to lie down, and my heart rate was really low. They wheeled me over to the emergency room (ER) where they put me on oxygen. I was very nauseous. Finally after 2 hours in the ER they gave me a shot of Gravol. About an hour later I threw up then started feeling a bit better. Half hour later they said I could go home. The only problem is I have had to take Gravol every day since or I feel nauseous and can't eat. I wish it would stop. Seems to be taking a long time to get over it.

Comment from: architect, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 04

I'm a male, slim and tall, normal health-wise, aged 53. I have fainted about 5 to 10 times in last 10 years. MRI report has shown syncopic attacks and ischemic focus, and I'm most-scared of my health and future as they say it may get worse and may turn into paralysis. I'm on low wages, worried about future insecurity and having no work, low payments, immense future worries, hence most stressed due to family responsibilities, etc., despite being highly qualified from a top university. So far I've had a severe fall while driving a 2-wheeler in the night, due to fainting, and recently fell down twice within a minute on the spot, and blacked out for a few seconds in a local train. I think all this happens to me mainly/primarily due to no physical exercises, and no regular sexual satisfaction at all.

Comment from: JayC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I usually faint after a strenuous activity such as running, climbing stairs or even after sex. It happens after the activity when my heart is beating very rapidly. I always associated this as to being out of shape and that I would need more exercise to improve my stamina for physical activities. Aside from that, there is no apparent solution I can think of to prevent my blackouts; other than that when I am feeling faint/exhausted I should try to sit/lie down to rest.

Comment from: mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have gotten this dizzy feeling before. But this time at the gym I finished my workout, and went to stretch, put my arms above the door, and got that feeling again. It did not pass. Next thing I knew, I was on the floor. I got up and went to the bath room and left. I called my doctor and he ordered an EKG, nuclear stress test, and a Holter heart monitor. My blood pressure has been slightly elevated for the past year. I am 53 and very active. Heart problems and diabetes run in my family.

Comment from: Former smoker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Back when I used to smoke I would cough and momentarily lose conscientiousness. I had a stent put in, which cured my addiction to nicotine and since then the dizziness and coughing have gone away. It's amazing how much better your body responds when you aren't putting poison in it.

Comment from: kt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I faint from pain. I was getting an ultrasound in the x-ray clinic today and all of sudden felt the room to be too dark, too small, and too cramped. I then felt nausea and saw twinkles and knew from past experience that I was going to faint. Luckily I was sitting and I just went over on my side. Usually I have deep dreams when I pass out. When I wake up it feels like I can't distinguish between my dream and reality and I generally do not know where I am for a few minutes. When I wake I feel weak. I am a tall and strong person and I get very embarrassed by this weakness.

Comment from: Gami, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I felt very warm, slumped over and lost consciousness. I woke up then lost consciousness again. I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room. I have had no other episodes.

Comment from: PJB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

A couple years ago I passed out while washing dishes. I was put in CCU for a few days due to a low heart rate and a concussion. I knocked out 6 teeth. I had surgery last week and had a postoperative hemorrhage. I had 2 episodes in the hospital that had the staff doing CPR. My heart hadn't stopped, it was having long pauses. My sternum is fractured from CPR. All my tests were negative, so my vasovagal syndrome got me again. I was discharged, went home and passed out and gashed my forehead. This is a maddening thing to live with.

Comment from: carmel m., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had 19 fainting spells, all in my room or with a full bladder, with no seizure as I was observed one time, off opioids repeated, some around time of kidney stone passage. I have naturally occurring low blood pressure (BP). Echocardiogram and reveal cardiac monitor has revealed nothing lethal, normal size heart on CXR, pedal edema and knee effusions present. I'm on Lasix for kidney stones, I cannot tell if postural hypotension occurs when I am troubled by an infection like urinary tract infection (UTI) from stones. Everything goes silver, like the old TV sets, I generally have no time to sit, and If I try to balance by grabbing on to something, I am more likely to be hurt by that object. I have hit furniture and walls. I broke my foot and leg doing this. I am also a nurse, masters prepared. I have no concussions, mainly out go the lights and I awaken to myself screaming in pain or experiencing pain.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had severe diarrhea during the night with constant leg cramps and passed out late morning after getting out of bed. I woke up early morning with a painful leg cramp and upon getting out of bed, fainted and lost urine. I was taken to the hospital and diagnosed with vasovagal syncope. I believe these episodes may be caused by dehydration. I am following up with a neurologist and cardiologist.

Comment from: nat, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

The very first time I fainted (I think that's what happened) I was in a club. I had been there for a few hours, and though it was crowded I had been feeling fine, and I wasn't drinking. I went outside for a smoke with friends and went back in, after about 20 minutes inside I noticed I had trouble breathing and it was getting really bad, so I started to head out of the club to get some air with my boyfriend when my sight got really bad, then everything went black and my legs just buckled and I blacked out. To be honest, I'm not really sure what happened but it was pretty scary.

Comment from: Scared, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was sitting at the breakfast table (had not eaten, just coffee), when I felt dizzy-lightheaded. I remember starting to put my hands to my head, the next thing my daughter was yelling at me and I was on the floor. She said I made noises before I fell, and she tried to answer me from the other room. Then the thud. I don't know the reason, have a call in to my doctor at the moment. I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) several years ago, but this does not seem like it.

Comment from: Audrey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have never fainted in my life but 2 weeks ago at work I was eating strawberries at lunch and suddenly I felt like my insides were quivering and I started shaking. My friend and I started to walk to the health center and the next thing I remember is waking up on the floor with people all around me. I don't remember much of anything. I was in and out for several minutes. I don't remember getting in the ambulance or the ambulance ride itself. I was disoriented for several hours. I had an EKG, a CAT scan of the head, blood sugar, blood work, an echocardiogram and an ultrasound of my carotid arteries. Everything came back normal so the diagnosis was anxiety. Is this possible? I take medication for anxiety and depression and I also take medications for high cholesterol and hypothyroidism. I am still not sure what caused it.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am 53 years old, my blood pressure in under control. I work retail and had been on my feet for 8 hours (this is normal) I then got stuck in traffic for over 45 minutes (not normal). When I got home out of the car, my feet hurt more than they did when I left work. I started walking to my door when I felt odd. By the time I got to my front door, I hit the ground. I don't know how long I lay there, it felt like a dream and I wanted to go to sleep and then I remembered that I was on the ground.

Comment from: rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My past is laden with environmental instability, a few traumatic experiences, some drug use, alcohol abuse, an eating disorder, and now I'm sure subsequently, kidney, and bladder infections. I have passed out a few times after smoking in the past, but now, even though I've abstained from a lot of what ailed me, I get symptoms of passing out often. I tremble, and feel weak more often now. This seemed to increase since the winter of 2013, enough that I am a bit reluctant to drive anywhere in fear that I may pass out on the road. My father was born with and died of heart problems, so I probably pushed my luck of heart defects with the damage I have done to myself in the past. Due to money problems I haven't seen a doctor about it, but do plan to. Everyone's story matters even if just a little bit.

Comment from: Foofie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been fainting since 1994, 20 years. After the first few times, I had many tests and finally got the diagnosis of syncope, but cause unknown. As I read all this information, I'm thinking it may be due to electrolyte imbalance or mild dehydration. Since 1976, I've been taking prednisone and Florinef, as replacement therapy, since my adrenal glands were removed when I had Cushing's disease. Next time I feel as if I will faint, I will drink some Gatorade. V8 also seems to help. By the way, when I faint, I never lose consciousness and can hear everyone around me panic.

Comment from: ava, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

In 2001 I blacked out going 70 miles on highway 30, I cannot believe that I'm alive. I have had 4 fainting spells since 2001. Now in 2014, I fainted and fell face flat on my ceramic tile floor. Major injuries and feeling really weak but the doctors still cannot find anything wrong with me. They are still running more tests so I hope that they find something to help me, my family is very scared and so am I.

Comment from: Misty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had several fainting experiences over the last year or more, where I"m standing, then have to sit as I feel the symptoms of fainting surfacing. Always, the following day I wake up with my body aching. The body aches can last anywhere from one day to 2 weeks, and also leave me feeling very weak.

Comment from: Looking for a cure, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I faint several minutes after receiving dental injections of epinephrine, or of mepivacaine or Carbocaine. There is no cure. Now no dentist will work on me because they have no other injection to use. Even the university dental schools have no answer.

Comment from: Renee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

The MRIs of my heart and brain are good with exception of small blood vessel disease in the brain. All blood tests are fine. But I frequently feel light-headed and faint after walking up stairs. A doctor I recently visited to help me find out what this is, actually said to me to go see a psychiatrist.

Comment from: Ohb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I can experience fainting either sitting or standing and walking. Usually I will see some type of star/blur/spots. Things begin to get louder. I then can feel a panicky type of thing with my body. It is real hard to explain. First the cardiologist and neurologist thought my migraines are triggering them. I suffer a very fast drop in blood pressure such as 56/38, it depends. Right now they are trying Botox shots in my head for the migraines to see if this will help the problem. So far it has not, it has been about 2 weeks since the injections.

Comment from: GreatDayToSmile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I first fainted on January 24th. I was sitting in a chair and the next thing I knew, my friends were waking me up. I let it go, considering it a once in a lifetime freak event. I was embarrassed and told my friends I never do that... until 5 days later. It was the same thing. I had been sitting in a chair talking with my friends, felt lightheaded for a split second, and then my friends were waking me up. This time, I landed on my face on a concrete floor and suffered head trauma. I'm recognizing symptoms now and they are increasing to nearly every day. I'm frightened to go anywhere, for fear of fainting and injuring myself again. I have tests next week and I can't wait to get answers and solutions because right now I am a prisoner to these spells.

Comment from: cypris, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

I had a young adult female client who would pass out frequently, no dizziness or vertigo, she just went pale as a sheet, cold, rapid breathing and would pass out but then wake up right away with some confusion, and then she'd be fine. She was able to know when it would happen next time so we got her to sit down and she would be fine. She says no one can explain why, no idea on what would cause her type of syncope.

Comment from: Dprang, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have fainted 3 times over the years. First time as a teenager in gym class, second in a subway car that was crowded like sardines and third picking up a bottle that was broken, unknowingly which pierced my right wrist. The only feelings I had were fuzziness while crumpling downward, then nothing. I came to fairly quickly and now I realize it was likely low blood sugar/loss of blood.

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I had a syncopic episode in 2000 at age 54 while driving to a job site. The paramedics hauled me to the emergency room but nothing was established as cause. After many tests and doctors I was diagnosed with stage 4 COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma in June of 2002 and put on permanent disability. I had numerous episodes of dizziness when doing physical activity and I always attributed it to heat exhaustion. The doctors didn't seem too concerned about it so I just tried to stay in cooler surroundings. The dizziness has progressed in frequency and intensity and in October of 2013 I again had a syncopic episode while driving. I spent a week in hospital and numerous tests were done on my heart and nothing was found. I was discharged and told to follow up with my doctor. I have not been able to see my primary care physician and the dizzy spells are getting worse with the least amount of exertion. I am going to try to get an appointment with a pulmonologist.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was driving and all of a sudden I felt very dizzy. I thought to myself that I need to pull over. But I blacked out before I could do anything. When I woke up I was on the other side of the highway. Thank goodness I didn't hit anyone. I spent the night in the hospital but nothing showed up in the tests I took.

Comment from: cjos, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

My first episode occurred last week which was Thursday the 12th, 201. I was sitting in a public sitting area and out of the blue, I felt dizzy, almost like I was in a dream, then I couldn't swallow or cough. Immediately I realized something was wrong, I couldn't breathe , it felt as though I was drowning, then my panic took over, then a loss of control, to which I closed my eyes, just before I did I felt myself twitching. It was so scary, I've had these before but mild, and never with loss of control or panic. When I came to, I felt so weak and I couldn't lift anything, then it happened again this past Saturday for which I was hospitalized. I just got discharged yesterday, but I'm very frightened. Everyone's stories seem like normal fainting spells, mine don't, and the doctors didn't find anything wrong and summed it up to anxiety or the cold tablet medication I'd taken just 2 hours before my first spell. I'm scared and I don't want this to happen especially in public!

Comment from: jenninnc1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

It has been about 2 weeks since I fainted. I had just moved to a new neighborhood so I was at a neighbor's house introducing myself to a mother of a girl my daughter plays with. I have had multiple sclerosis for 11 years so I am on multiple medications. This causes me to be so fatigued. So lately I have been trying out energy drinks/shots. I am not sure if that may be the cause or not. The ambulance came and I checked out fine. I was just standing there talking and everything just started to kind of fade out and I fell backwards and pretty sure I had a concussion.

Comment from: nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I passed out in December after I had been sleeping on the couch for a few hours. I got up and felt sick to my stomach. I went to the kitchen to let my dogs out and drank part of a diet soda to settle my stomach. The next time I knew I was laying on the floor in the living room. I had passed out. I did not have any dizziness prior to falling. I went to the emergency room the next day and was diagnosed with a concussion. Heart tests performed showed nothing. In October I was sleeping in my bed and during the night I got up to get a drink. I felt sick to my stomach and went to the kitchen to get a drink. I woke up on the floor and wondered why I was laying on the floor. I took my blood sugar and it was 119. I later discovered I had bruises on both sides of my spine, a big bruise on my hip and one on my arm. I live by myself so I don't know how long I was out. I had no dizziness prior to falling. I have low blood pressure and in December it read 83 over 53 at the doctor's office prior to falling. The cardiologist told me that I would feel dizzy and feel like I need to hold on to something if it was low blood pressure. I have gotten up before and walked at an angle but did not faint. I work out regularly for an hour or so. Lately I do not have the energy to do that. I also experience chest pain when I do a normal workout on the elliptical. I feel a tightness in my chest which concerns me so I cut down on exercise. My thyroid medication is always adjusted and I have been on it for almost 20 years. I don't have symptoms of underactive thyroid like hair and skin although I have been cold most of the time and my temperature has been in the low 96s. The cardiologist office said the heart monitor showed I have pre beats. Carotid artery is 1% to 19% blocked. I am unsure of echocardiogram results as he does not have them. Result of EEG not in yet. I am scheduled to have a 21 day monitor placed on me this week.

Comment from: Northern Cape RSA, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a qualified nursing sister and I get vasovagal attacks usually between 02:00 and 04:00. It happens when I have a sudden urge to go to the toilet for e.g., having diarrhea. Just as I sit down on the toilet I get the attack and I always fall off the toilet onto my head, causing trauma. I now try to get up slower and sit on the bed first for a while to let the blood pressure normalize. Unfortunately I do not get any warning signs for what is about to happen.

Comment from: joseph, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I had several fainting episodes in my 48 years: around the age 7, age 13, age 27, age 30 and age 40. The first sign was sweating, then turning pale, then getting dizzy, ears start ringing, voices start fading and then I pass out; very scary. I have been to several doctors but they didn't do anything, so I just did some research on my own, now I am just looking for some treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was discharged from the hospital 13 hours ago after 5 days of seizure monitoring due to spikes in my EEG. The diagnosis was negative. At about 3:00 am, I woke up to turn on the alarm. I felt fine (no lightheadedness, sweating etc.). After pressing the first 2 or 3 numbers, I passed out. This is my 3rd blackout in 3 weeks and other (lightheadedness, confusion, shaking) symptoms when I change position. As I was falling, I did not see anything but I felt I was trying to control my body. I was shaking as I usually due but without losing consciousness. Echocardiogram revealed that my cardiomyopathy is back to normal. I have an abnormal EKG which shows abnormal Q wave. This has been happening for years. I have to wear some type of monitor and take a tilt table test. I am a mother and a teacher who has had many episodes witnessed by my children and students. I am afraid now!

Comment from: kenny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a massive heart attack - the “widow maker” it's called, blockage of left anterior artery. I had 2 stents put in. The doctors say there's no heart damage, but some lack of oxygen to brain. I can remember most things. It takes longer for me to do things. I have problems with sometimes fainting when bending over and my head lower is lower than my heart. The last time it happened I was connecting the pool vacuum, fainted, and fell into the pool. I woke up when I hit water. The doctor finally paid attention, and now wants to do an electrophysiology (EP) study.

Comment from: Enkidu, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had five episodes of fainting in the past 25 years, which have all run pretty much the same course. Severe pain, usually abdominal, followed by dizziness, cold sweat, low blood pressure, fainting, etc. Thirty minutes later I am fine. The first four times I ended up in the emergency room. No cause besides vagal tone is ever found. On one occasion I fell on the way down and gave myself a concussion, which is the only time, I spent a full night in the hospital. If I can just rest for 30 minutes, it is like nothing ever happened.

Comment from: Grace, 19-24 (Patient) Published: September 22

I have headaches, the pain is in the middle of my head. It's been almost two months now, and I am also experiencing burning pains in my joints. I wonder what the cause could be. I used to faint a lot when I was young.

Comment from: Cyndi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I woke the other morning at 4 am. I started to get up to go the bathroom, when I got a cramp in my leg. My first thought was to stand up so I could stretch out the cramp. The next thing I know is I'm on the floor disoriented and my husband calling my name. I do not remember standing and I don't know how I got on the floor.

Comment from: Boca1212@icloud.cm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had fainting spells 6 or 7 times in the last 3 months. Blood work, EKGs, brain scans, heart monitor, blood pressure, everything is normal. I am 61 years old.

Comment from: Kris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was in the doctor's office yesterday for a follow-up visit from a procedure I had done on my back a few weeks ago at a surgical center. That procedure did not work to take my back pain away so the doctor decided to give me injections of cortisone directly into a muscle in my back. I do not like needles but I'll try anything to relieve the pain. Instantly I was very hot, thought I was going to vomit, was very dizzy and the room started spinning. I was totally soaked in sweat but I did not faint. Almost wish I would have so I didn't have to feel like that. I have had a headache since then and my face is very flushed. I still have episodes of getting very hot and sweating. Sure hope it goes away very soon.

Comment from: worried wife, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My hubby sometimes vomits the morning breakfast and just crashes down to floor with eyes wide open but unconscious. This worries me.

Comment from: toby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My husband died on March 9, 2014. Two weeks later I couldn`t cope. My son took me to Cuba, we had a nine hour wait at airport, then six hour flight. I never slept all that time. An hour after we got there I had an attack and I blacked out, my body was like I was levitating there. I came to and it happened again, three times I remember, but my son said I had two more but I don`t remember them. I woke up in hospital.

Comment from: darmontgomery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have strep throat and while looking at my throat I fainted in the bathroom.

Comment from: Sew2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

About once a year, I awake with an urgent need to poop and throw up. But I haven't the energy to walk steadily to the bathroom. I take a few steps and then drop to the floor to recoup before continuing. In recent episodes, however, I find that I have fallen. I have a gash over my eye that required suturing this last time. I am very healthy so this is quite puzzling and now very scary. I thought of putting a toilet stand by my bed, but I think I would fall out of it.

Comment from: temewe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a miscarriage and bled profusely over a 4-hour period of time. I fainted from loss of blood. The bleeding had slowed significantly by the time my husband and I decided I should go to the emergency room to be safe. They did an EKG, gave me about a liter (one bag) of IV fluid and a couple of ultrasounds to be sure it was not a tubal pregnancy and that everything had cleared out okay. Also, as usual, my blood pressure was very low (90's over 50's). I have been home about a day and a half. I have been drinking a lot of water, continuing to bleed lightly, but am still nearly fainting whenever I stand up quickly.

Comment from: waltecar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

My experience occurred when I was admitted to the hospital ER with chest pain. I had been having chest pain off an on all day accompanied by shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The ER staff administered oxygen, 3 nitroglycerin tablets about 5 minutes apart for the chest pain in addition to 5 baby aspirin. I remember starting to feel very nauseated again and like I was going to have diarrhea along with being very short of breath. That was all I remember. I didn't know what had happened to me. When I woke up, I was sweating profusely, lying with the whole gurney tilted practically standing on my head and thought that I had fallen asleep as I had been so tired and worn out from feeling like this all day. The doctor said that my blood pressure had bottomed out because of the loss of fluid (vomiting/diarrhea) and the nitroglycerin had dilated my blood vessels quite a lot. They had Iv's in both arms running them wide open to bring my pressure back up. Needless to say, this writer was kept in the hospital 3 days to determine the cause of the chest pain symptoms. The syncope came from the treatment they gave to relieve the chest pain that compounded the affects of the fluid loss.

Comment from: Marlene, Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had a vasovagal reaction to a pedicure. The pedicurist was attempting to dislodge an ingrown toenail. I complained of pain, but at the same time I wanted her to fix this problem. She succeeded in cutting out about 1mm of nail along the side of the nail on the big toe. At last I broke into a sweat, unbuttoned my blouse leaned back in the chair, and that's the last I remember. When I came to, my granddaughter was on the phone calling 911. She said I had stopped breathing and was convulsing. Momentarily I didn't know where I was. Then it all came back. I asked her not to call for an ambulance, but I agreed to go to Emergency at the hospital. My heart rate was 55 on arrival, I am not a diabetic or on any medication. My EKG was normal, except there was a slight bauble which the doctor said might be caused by low potassium. He ordered a full blood profile, which came back normal in all respects. The triage nurse had said, "A latte, and a pedicure -- doesn't usually land you in Emergency!" The conclusion was the episode was triggered by intense pain.

Comment from: Dan , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I've had A-Fib for almost 15 yrs and the pre-syncope is getting more frequent. Today I had my first actual fainting spell. I get a fuzzy feeling that feels like a pressure is expanding inside me. I start to get overwhelmed by the sensation that a wave of lightheadedness is taking over. A very unpleasant feeling it doesn't hurt, but I try to fight it all the way. I try to breathe deeply, hold my breath, bend over, head between the knees, but to no avail it prevails against me. It usually just takes me to a point of near fainting and then I quickly recover. I fainted in front of several people today and they freaked. I am looking for some answers as I am certain all here are as well.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I fainted a few days ago walking my dogs. I remember walking them and then the next memory is waking up and trying to determine where I was and why there was gravel beside me. It took me a moment to understand where I was and how to move. I didn't recognize where we were--I wasn't sure how far we were from our home. It was now dark and I didn't know how to get home. I was sweating profusely and had cramps in my abdomen and I was nauseated. I had to stop to rest. I wasn't sure if we were going in the right direction so I stopped at a house to ask directions. They called the police and the police called an ambulance. Very slowly I was able to tell them where I lived. Apparently I was extremely dehydrated. I was put on an IV and taken to the ER. They did a chest X-ray and a CT scan. I elected to leave rather than be admitted because I wanted to check on my dogs. But it was very unnerving not knowing where I was or how to get home. I am on multiple medications for depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, energy, and blood pressure. I had taken a half of an extra dose of two of my medications (Adderall and Provigil) that day. I had not been eating or drinking enough because of the effects of the Adderall and Provigil. Now I make myself eat and drink.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have never fainted, however I have had several episodes where I have blacked out and not remembered what has happened. Apparently people around me do not seem to know that anything is wrong but it scares me to death. It has happened 4 times in the last nine months.

Comment from: 72yofemale, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I have passed out twice in the past 1 1/2 yr. and almost another time, but my husband was able to keep me awake by yelling and pulling on my foot. The first time, I was out about 20 minutes before my husband called 911. I woke up when my hand touched the cold metal on their stretcher. The second time, I was out for about 4 hours in the hospital. This has been a puzzle about why this happens. All three times I was sitting in my recliner, working on my Nook (Sudoku) when it happened. A neurologist tells me it is probably because I'm sitting in a position which causes low blood pressure. Does this makes sense? Should my husband keep trying to wake me up and should he call 911?

Comment from: unknown500721, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have been passing out and having seizures for about 4 years. I have gone thru tons of tests, seen a neurologist and a cardiologist, and have found no answers. My husband worries about me, and my pregnancy was extremely difficult because of this issue. I am constantly pushed to do more testing but I have stopped going thru the process. It seems I will never know why I have these "spells" and will probably never know how to stop them.

Comment from: mykeith, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My partner just blacked out in the shower last night he said he felt dizzy and suddenly dropped, he didn't remember blacking out he said he has never blacked out before and it was like all the blood was rushing away from his head. We were engaged in sexual intercourse previously however, not at the time he fell. He weighs around 86 kilos and is pretty fit. I am around 56 kilos. He said he was fine after, but i am worried, is he OK, what's wrong with him.

Comment from: Ginger 3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Walking from car to store to get a cup of coffee & bagel, legs gave out and I fell flat on my face on the pavement. Hit my head hard. This is the 2nd time in two weeks. I do have a-fib. Will see MD. very soon.

Comment from: Evan, 55-64 Male Published: July 02

I was seventeen at the time. One evening I was sitting at home casually reading a magazine, and came upon someone's description of having a heart attack. It didn't particularly interest me, but as I read on and the author described pains in his chest, I began to feel a pressure weighing down on mine, and a strange sensation of sleepiness I couldn't resist. It felt as if my eyes were being forced to close. I had time to wonder what was happening to me before consciousness faded away altogether. When I came to, I was sweating, and felt weak and confused. In fact, I didn't immediately realize what had happened: it seemed as if I had just closed my eyes for a second. But my mother was there and she told me I had fainted.

Comment from: Armywife85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I fainted about an hour after giving birth to my 2nd child due to blood loss. We didn't know at the time, but my uterus wasn't able to clamp down all the way after the birth because I had a very full bladder. When I finally did relieve myself, I started losing blood very fast. I remember I began to feel very dizzy as I went to the bathroom. Then I started to feel like I was going to throw up. My nurse was with me the whole time, and she realized what was happening. I was still on the toilet, and she had me put my arms around her neck and she grabbed me like she was hugging me real tight. I began to feel very sleepy, and as darkness began to overtake me, I heard loud rock music. It was almost deafening loud! Then there was nothing until I awoke back on the hospital bed. I was confused at first, and then scared after I realized what was going on. My midwife was over me with several other nurses, one who was massaging my uterus very hard! The bleeding slowed down after giving me pitocin, and I was OK! I was only out a few minutes, but I gave everyone quite a scare! A blood lab later that evening showed my hemoglobin dropped from 15 to 8 from the episode. Luckily, I didn't require a transfusion, and a healthy mom and baby went home a few days later.

Comment from: Sud, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I am 83 years of age. I have kept very busy doing the main three things that I have always done besides holding a full-time job as vice president of a company. I play tennis, build furniture, and work with refugees (for 35 years). Recently, I was playing tennis and lost consciousness for less than 3 seconds. I lost no bodily functions (e.g., walking, talking, etc.). My defibrillator kicked in at .11 seconds and I was wide awake. My tennis friends called 911 and I went to the hospital. Because of that, I have lost my driving privileges for six months. I am now waiting for my appeal date. When I require a driver to take me to my tennis club to play tennis for an hour or so and home again, something doesn't sound right. I believe they are using the principle that one size fits all. My first cardiac arrest 11 ½ years ago was a whole different story. Go out there and play tennis.

Comment from: person, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I got really hot and sweaty in church while we were kneeling. It also became difficult to breathe. I felt as if I couldn't get enough air even though I was breathing fairly rapidly. My ears felt as if someone had shoved cotton in them and everything was muted. My vision started to be obscured by black dots until all I could see was black. After a couple minutes, my vision began to return. Afterward, I had a headache in the front of my head and felt nauseated.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female Published: October 01

On several occasions I have fainted. It occurs mostly when I receive bad news about a close one. I have related this to stress overload. I have been to a doctor, and he cannot find the cause. I have also been told that I look as if I am convulsing.

Comment from: SusMor, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 30

I was in church, and I started feeling odd. I couldn't hear anything around me and then my vision was impaired, and then I fainted. According to my husband, it took a while before I woke up and an ambulance was called. When I awoke, I was dizzy and realized what had happened. I went to see my doctor and had blood work done. My doctor said my blood pressure had bottomed out.

Comment from: LCS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I woke up around 1:30 a.m. after my son awoke wanting a drink. I put his bottle in the microwave, and then I “woke up” on the kitchen floor. I'm not sure how long I was out for, but I didn't realize I had fainted. So I got up and went to walk back to my son, and woke up again on the floor in the lounge. I have MS, and 24 hours later, I started to experience numbness on the right side of my body in my face, head, arm and leg for the first time since I was diagnosed. I am 34 and am fit and healthy otherwise. However, my blood pressure is a bit low.

Comment from: Robert Groh, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

My Doctor put me on Coreg 40 and when it was not quite enough, he put me on Coreg 80 once daily. It is the best medicine I have used to keep a constant blood pressure rather than having ups and downs as I had for years with other drugs. I stood up from my desk and quickly went into another room where I passed out, fell backwards, ended up in an ambulance with a neck collar and on a back board. At the hospital my blood pressure was 125/80 but when the doctor had me stand up to check it again, it was 80/44. I have what is called postural hypotension. I moved too fast after standing up, not giving myself time to stabilize. The cure was easy, back to Coreg 40.

Comment from: cough-jockey, (Patient) Published: September 25

I've had bronchitis for about a month now. When I cough hard I have an asthma-like reaction that causes me to pass out. It's been happening just about twice a day. First I loose hearing, and things start to move in slow-motion. Then I find my self waking up to the sensation of a slow-motion helicopter above my head. I'm disoriented for 15 to 30 seconds. Then I'm completely fine again. It's very odd, but not too unpleasant an experience.

Comment from: animalfan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

According to my mother I have experienced fainting spells since I was 2 years old, and the cause is still a mystery. Through the years I have fainted at home as well as at different events. As I got older I began to notice the early warning signs which included feeling nauseated, spots in my visions which would grow as the spell would come closer until I could not see, and feeling weak. If I had any of those symptoms I would try to get out of the sun (if I was in it), sit down, relax, and take slow deep breaths. One time showing chickens at the county fair it was a warm day and I felt the symptoms come. I tried to hold it off as long as I could but ended up fainting. I came to as my sister and another lady were carrying me to a bench. I had felt warm and a nurse poured cool water over my wrists to cool my body down. By watching for the signs I have not fainted since for about 5 years (knock on wood), but have come close. From my history I have also learned that when I feel one of the symptoms to tell those I know around me what to do if I do faint so they know and I don't scare everyone.

Comment from: Cadams, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had found out the day before that my husband who is in the Army was deploying to Iraq in a week. I was upset over this news, and suffered the night with a migraine headache. The next day, I was not hungry but drank my usual morning coffee. While sitting at my desk at work, I was suddenly sick to my stomach and my vision failed. I then woke up on the floor with my chair behind me. I didn't know where I was, couldn't talk, and couldn't move. I was very sick to my stomach and couldn't hear very well. I finally laid there long enough to be able to call for a coworker who called my parents. I went to the doctor and was told that I must have fainted due to lack of food, mixed with coffee and stress. The experience was not pleasant. I was sick for a couple hours after the fact.

Comment from: What next?, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Yesterday while at the beach, I thought I was going to pass out, or faint. I have never fainted before. I am per-menopausal and have been experiencing night sweats. I am also on multiple medications for depression. Today, I thought perhaps my blood sugar was too high. (Although I am not diagnosed with diabetes, I have a checking system at home because after pregnancy, they thought it was a possibility for me.) I'm going to check with my doctor.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I fainted last year and woke up with a large gash on my head that required 16 stitches. I woke up in the middle of the night, after going to bed early with a migraine and felt I was going to vomit. I was on the floor waiting to get sick and decided to try to open the bathroom window to let in some air. Apparently my glasses smashed into my face over my eyebrow and my husband heard a large boom and came to get me. I had no idea what happened, but I still have the scar to prove it. They never figured out what happened with my fainting, even after several different doctor appointments and a trip to the ER. Scary thought.

Comment from: 13-18 Male Published: September 30

I went to a party and got pretty intoxicated and didn't think to drink any water. We went to my friend's house afterward and about four hours later, I was walking down the hall (sober now), and I got really light-headed. I woke up on the floor sweating. I got up and felt fine, but then it happened again less than 10 minutes later. I'm assuming I was just really dehydrated.

Comment from: jackieserraty, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am 17 years old and I have been experiencing fainting since I was about 6 or 7. I don't understand why. I have been looking for the answer. I have fainted at home, in school, in church, and in subway trains. It is a very uncomfortable feeling and I would like to know why does it occur and how can I prevent it. Since it has occurred so many times, I know the initial feeling when I faint. I fight it but it does not work. I now fear going to school every morning or when I have to go into the train station.

Comment from: Claire, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I have a twelve year old boy who has fainting episodes that are sporadic. He seems to have these fainting episodes at different times of the day every so often. His blood sugar reading showed 2.5 one day and 13.9 another day. I brought him to the doctor and his urine was checked, the doctor said he did not have diabetes. He also had and ECG done that showed erratic heartbeat this was approximately three hours after a fainting episode. He has excessive thirst yet is constantly passing urine. Do you have any answers to help us?

Comment from: Dixie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am female, 62 yrs. young and fainted last night for no apparent reason. Fortunately, my husband was able to finally get me up and I then fainted again. As this is the first time it has ever happened to me, I am concerned as to the cause of this episode. I have no health insurance and did not go to the hospital. I hope I have no reason to worry.

Comment from: goosehunter, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 05

One afternoon, I fainted on my driveway, causing me to fall and strike my head on the cement driveway. After coming to about two minutes later, I had a large bump on my head with a long cut. It took six staples to close it. I lost a lot of blood in the process; not a good experience!

Comment from: leestoops, 55-64 Male Published: September 05

I had been lying on the bed reading today and stood up to walk to the kitchen. All of a sudden, I was lying on the floor in the hall and my head had broken right through the sheetrock wall as I fell. I never knew what happened.

Comment from: Rachel08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I was coming in from outside, and my vision started to become blurry as I walked into the living room. My mother-in-law asked me about my finger. I remember trying to explain as I grabbed the wall, but the next thing I can remember, I felt lifeless. I couldn't hear very much. My ears were ringing extremely loud, and then I ended up on a bed looking up to the ceiling trying to regain my breath. I was terrified about the situation; it was probably one of the scariest things that have happened to me.

Comment from: Matilda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm taking medication for high blood pressure (HBP). I wake up in the night, and if I get up too quickly, I feel nausea and faint the next morning. I have to sit down or I will faint. Often, it takes all morning to feel OK. If I go shopping too soon after such an episode, I am inclined to almost faint in the supermarket. I have had various checks and my health is OK.

Published: August 12

I have a rather long history with fainting. I would faint: whenever I saw blood, and whenever I thought about my bones in my body breaking. When I was 18, I had a long-term kidney infection, and was fainting left and right for two or three years with no explanation. Now it seems that because I have fainted so much, I can't just pass out anymore. I have the symptoms that occur just before you pass out, and I have to talk myself out of them. Mind over matter can work to pull out of it faster. That and cool air and water.

Comment from: Wolfpup04, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I went to an amusement part today and road a bunch of roller coaster rides. After a while, I rode a ride in which I blacked out for a short span of time. I thought that maybe I was just dizzy and it was just that ride, but soon after we rode another ride, the same thing happened to me. It generally happened after going upside down. I am not afraid of roller coasters, and these were all rides I have been on before.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

In the last 4 days, I have had 11 episodes of feeling like I was fainting...but never completely fainted. It happens during movement and while being completely still.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter