Nonprescription eyeglasses are available over the counter (OTC) and are typically used by people who can no longer read fine print. OTC trifocals are helpful for those who require multiple distances or focal lengths for near and intermediate tasks. OTC sunglasses should offer 100% protection from the sun's UVA and UVB rays. OTC magnifying glasses are useful for viewing tiny objects or fine print.Read more: Eyeglasses, Sunglasses, and Magnifying Glasses Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What Are Cataracts?
What are cataracts and who gets them? Take this online quiz to learn how everyday activities may put you at risk....
Pictures of Eyeglasses and Frames: Glasses for Presbyopia, Sunglasses, Eye Problems
Learn about your eye care needs and fashion wishes -- with eye glasses, frames and eyewear for computer use, reading, driving,...
Top 13 Ways to Tame Eye Allergies
Eye allergies, or allergic conjunctivitis, cause itchy eyes and other allergic symptoms. Avoiding allergens and using medicated...
Related Disease Conditions
30 Sunburn Natural and Home Remedies for Severe Sunburns
There are many natural and home remedies that are thought to relieve the symptoms ofa sunburn. Check out our top 30 tips to...
Eye strain is a symptom caused by looking at something for a long time. Symptoms and signs include redness, light sensitivity,...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Blindness is the state of being sightless. Causes of blindness include macular degeneration, stroke, cataract, glaucoma,...
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning) Symptoms, Pain Relief, Healing Time
Sunburn is caused by overexposure to UV radiation from the sun. UV rays can also damage the eyes. Repeated overexposure to UV...
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a disease that gradually destroys the central vision. In people over 60, AMD is a...
A cataract is an eye disease that causes the eye's lens to become cloudy and opaque with decreased vision. Causes of cataracts...
The cornea is the clear outer layer of the eye. If it is damaged by disease, infection, or injury, vision problems may occur....
Eye Care and Eye Disorder
Many common eye disorders resolve without treatment and some may be managed with over-the-counter (OTC) products. It's important...
Astigmatism is an eye condition in which the cornea is abnormally curved and causes out-of-focus vision. Symptoms of astigmatism...
Presbyopia is the age-related loss of the ability to focus on objects that are close up. The condition generally affects people...
Astigmatism and Your Eyes
Astigmatism is a common eye condition that's easily corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or surgery. Symptoms of astigmatism...
Local ResourcesFind a local Eye Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- When Using Moisturizers With Sunscreen, Don't Miss Around the Eyes
- Health Tip: Treating Dry Eye
- Health Tip: Wearing Colored Contacts
- Health Tip: Choose Protective Sunglasses
- Sun's UV Rays a Threat to Your Eyes, Too
- Vision Problems Can Harm Kids' Development, Grades
- Health Tip: Protect Your Eyes During Summer
- Some Primates Have Vision Troubles as They Age
- Laser Pointers Can Cause Serious Eye Damage in Kids
- Does Your Child Need Eyeglasses?
- Bifocals Might Trip You Up
- Contact Lens Wearers May Have Different Eye Bacteria: Study
- Health Tip: Develop Healthy Habits for Contact Lenses
- Improper Contact Lens Use Causes Millions of Eye Infections: CDC
- Google Glass Might Curb Your Vision
- Health Tip: Don't Use Costume Contact Lenses
- It's 'Buyer Beware' for Decorative Contact Lenses, FDA Says
- Health Tip: Choosing Sunglasses
- Bacteria May Survive Longer in Contact Lens Solution Than Thought
- Health Tip: Struggling With Sight
- You Might See Better in Your Eye Doctor's Office
- Selecting Sunglasses for Healthy Eyes
- Health Tip: Invest in Protective Eyewear for Sports
- Health Tip: Seeing Behind the Wheel
- Health Tip: Why Wear Sunglasses?
- Why Aging Eyes Struggle to Discern Fine Print
- iPads May Help Those With 'Low Vision' Read Better
- Halloween Warning: Decorative Contact Lenses May Damage Your Eyes
- Eye Docs Must Do More to Spot Unsafe Older Drivers: Study
- More People -- Even Kids -- Need to Wear Sunglasses
- Eyeglasses: How to Read Your Eyeglass Prescription
- Eyes: Overview of Refractive and Laser Eye Surgery
- Eye Implants to Correct Vision
- Eyeglasses: Styles and Lenses
- Nearsightedness in Kids
- Low Vision, What Does It Mean?
- Eyes - Tips For Choosing The Right Sunglasses
- 10 Signs Your Child May Need Vision Screening
- Eye Exercises and Stretches
- Ergonomics: Computer Workstations Lighting
- Decorative Contact Lenses, Wearer Beware
- Poor Eyesight Can Lead To Bad Grades
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter