Patient Comments: Floaters - Causes

What was the cause of your eye floaters? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sheikh H A, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I had retinal detachment surgery and my eye vision was restored about 80 percent, but when silicon oil was done to remove oil through second surgery I got many floaters including small bubbles like ones which went away with time. But I have a big ring type floater about one inch diameter which stays at chin level when I sit. When I lie down it goes away but when I get up it comes from front downwards movement to stop at chin level. The surgeon said they cannot do anything about it and it will go away on its own or might stay long, we don't know. There is no treatment given to me for it.

Comment from: bb, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Every time I get stung by scorpion it makes my tongue numb, and it lasts about a week. I take Benadryl tablets for about 5 days. I have a lot of swelling and burning.

Comment from: Migesh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I just spent 36 hours in the hospital with the only primary symptoms being extreme headache just under the skull on top of my head (even my hair hurts), and sustained temperatures between 101 and 104. I am waiting 2 days for some cultures to develop, as they originally suspected encephalitis and/or meningitis. The last test was a chest x-ray which showed a light cloudy area in my left lung, so they now include pneumonia as a possible cause. The problem is that my blood and urine and spinal fluid tests all showed no signs of any infection, such as high white blood cell counts, etc. Also, I have no cough or chest pain or difficulty breathing, and when they listen to my chest, they cannot hear anything abnormal. I have been prescribed 5 days of Levaquin under the assumption I may have pneumonia, but the doctors were stumped by my lack of normal chest symptoms. I am now at home, still with really intense headaches and persistent fever of 100.5 to 102.5.

Comment from: Adam, Published: May 24

I was keeping goal at indoor soccer practice and reached for a shot above my head, only to strike the cross bar with my right hand. My ring finger was left pointing backwards about 30 degrees at the second knuckle and my first thought was that it was broken. But I was able to put it back in place immediately and then move the finger, though with limited range and substantial pain. X-rays have revealed a chip fracture and I'm in a splint for a couple weeks before my appointment with a hand specialist. I would cross my fingers that it heals properly if I could.

Comment from: ddancer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I had an attempted colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. The doctor could not continue as I was in excruciating pain. My colon wouldn't allow the scope to go round a bend although he kept trying to push. I had no sedative. I still have a lot of pain and some bleeding; not happy.

Comment from: Trackieb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was doing my dishes one morning and I coughed and I felt pain in my lower back. The pain was unbearable. I went to the hospital and they sent me for an emergency MRI. I came back and they just advised that my disc had slipped. I was sent for neurological block injections, which didn't work. I was still in a considerable amount of pain. One night it got unbearable, and I rung for an ambulance. I was taken to the hospital that would do my operation a few days later, due to the snow. When I came round after the operation I was told I had cauda equina syndrome (CES) and it was bad. No bladder/bowel function, paralysis in my right leg and the most unbelievable pain. I was sent to rehabilitation and spent six months learning to walk. I can now walk with two crutches, very short distances. I am mostly confined to my wheelchair I would not wish CES on anyone. It has changed my life forever and it will never go away.

Comment from: SK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

One cause of eye floaters is high fever. After a high fever you can get loads of floaters appearing in both eyes. That was over 30 years ago. They have not disappeared since. That was what happened to me. So stay cool! Talk to the medical folks to find a cure for floaters, e.g. if it is possible to flush these floaters out of the eyes with saline solution and replace the vitreous humor in the eye with the saline solution. If they can do that safely millions of people worldwide will be queuing up at their clinics for the cure.

Comment from: jcvanv, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I acquired severe floaters from a botched cataract surgery. Mine are blood cells caused by an abrasion in one of my eyes which is caused by the plastic lens inserted for cataract surgery not being where it is supposed to be. My vision goes from looking through a fog, then they partially clear up in a week or two and then I can only describe them as looking at an oil spill or a one sided ink blot test. Then I go back to the fog. This has been going on for two years until it was correctly diagnosed. I am having surgery to correct the problem. I hope it works as having this condition totally corrupts the vision of my good eye and destroys depth perception.

Comment from: sonny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have floaters only in my left eye. It came about after a nasal congestion on the left nose.

Comment from: beezie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Due to harsh neck exercises, left to right, forcefully for at least 15 minutes on each side, flashes and floaters developed, as the aqueous humor pulled away from the retina, 10 years ago. Fortunately, the retina did not require attention. Now, upon being prepared for cataract surgery, it has been noticed that the retina in the right eye has a wrinkle. Therefore, I urgently suggest if doing neck exercises do them gently and not more than a minute or two.

Comment from: Jamie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered eye injuries playing real tennis here in the UK ('court tennis' in the US). Unlike lawn tennis, the ball is hard and solid. Both eyes have been hit while playing on separate occasions and floaters have worsened significantly afterwards. I am short-sighted and have been told that with an enlarged and thus stretched eyeball, the back of the eye is more susceptible to the damage that this physical trauma can cause. Goggles may be the answer!

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago and had very good vision after. I had to go back to hospital as vision blurred, and eye got red and watery. I was told it may settle or floater may have to be removed surgically.

Comment from: effy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I started to have the floaters in both of my eyes when I was 20. It's like black lines and spots, they are always there and pretty annoying. Even though I have floaters in my eye, I still had Lasik surgery when I was 22. The doctor said it was totally ok, but after my surgery, I just feel that my floaters are increasing. I should never believe them! I hope that I can make an appointment with another eye doctor soon to check my eye. I am really kind of worried. I am just at early 20s, I might be blind when I am 50 or 60. Oh my, I really have a lot of them.

Comment from: Hal, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I developed a floater in my left eye after I fell down and hit my head hard on the washroom floor. The floater developed after 2 or 3 days after my head trauma. I got my eyes evaluated by my ophthalmologist for retinal detachment or anything severe. I was lucky except for these floaters which from what I read here, I have to live with.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I am 61 years old. My extreme myopia was successfully corrected with laser eye surgery back in 2001. At the age of 31 years old, after experiencing blunt trauma, I was diagnosed with floaters in both eyes, which faded away over time. The ophthalmologist informed me that my nearsightedness made me prone to producing floaters due to the shape of my eyes. A few days ago, while doing a home improvement project, I lightly smacked my left eye with the back of my hand while prying a fastener from a wall. Soon, a few floaters appeared in my vision, with one larger one that is sort of annoying. I will be checking with an ophthalmologist as soon as I can get an appointment to assess any other damage to my eye. This experience reminded me that even though the Lasik treatment corrected my vision, the structure of my eyes that had caused the nearsightedness in the first place is still the same. Also, at this point in my life, it does not take much of a hit to my eyes to produce that kind of damage.

Comment from: brnfingrs, 25-34 Male Published: January 10

I had a scleral buckle done one year ago on my right eye. Since then the floaters have impaired my depth perception. Glares at night driving suck as well. Trying to use my eyes to read all my materials for my nursing courses forced me to try to get further help. Instead a surgery on my left eye to repair a rip gave me what I hoped was more time for tests instead was used to push me out of my nursing clinician for restrictions. These floaters have hindered the only career I have ever wanted.

Comment from: maryfran07, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had floaters in my right eye which I got used to because they were not big. Had a detached retina in left eye and had laser surgery and when it was done I had such big floaters in my left eye, I could hardly see. Some of them are gone however there is one big one that really gets to me. Always think a bug or someone is passing behind me. Dr. says it's nothing to be concerned about so I just need to learn to live with it.

Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with Lyme disease, which we believe caused my eye floaters. I have a small floater in my left eye (like an annoying bug floating near my head).

Comment from: Ginny, 65-74 Female Published: February 01

I remember the exact date the floaters first appeared in my right eye. I had been under stress, and was wearing my contacts (I am extremely near-sighted). I am now a 66 year old female. I thought I had a wispy bit of dust or hair in my eye, and kept blinking and rubbing the lid to dislodge it. That was on August 31st, 2009, at 64 years old. Other than an annoyance, I've simply gotten used to it. On Dec. 10th, 2010, multiple floaters immediately appeared in the other eye. There was also a thin "rim" of light out of the corner of my eye that appeared for a day or so, but disappeared. I had no idea what this condition was and I too, began to worry. I am an artist, and depend on my eyesight for my living with very little social security. I found this informational website to be very enlightening. I will make an appointment with an eye doctor to make sure there are no symptoms of some of the more serious conditions you mentioned. I too, have learned to live with the floaters and pray they don't get any worse. It makes you so grateful for the years of perfect sight (even if you had to wear glasses for it) and also makes you grateful to see at all!

Comment from: Provigil sleep Apnea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

The Provigil and modafinil drugs are safe and good to use to treat sleeping disorders. It is the best way to increase wakefulness, increase mild alertness and also improve memory.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

A few months ago I started seeing this floater. It scared the heck out of me for I am diabetic. My doctor told me it would go away, but she did not say when. It's been months now and I still see it. This floater is absolutely annoying. I tried Visine to no avail. I will wait until it goes by itself.

Comment from: fae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

About 7 years ago a chiropractor manipulated my neck and I got a big floater in my eye right away. I learned to live with it and it did not affect my life too much but since a few days I feel overwhelmed with the sight of this floater. Is it that I am more focused on it or did it get worse. I really feel it did because i notice it all the time now. I am so depressed. Of course the chiropractor denied he was the cause and ruined my quality of life...jerk...which i could go back in time.

Comment from: BlueMtMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have had floaters for as long as I can remember. When I was a child I told my mother that I could "see germs". When I was taken in for an eye exam at the age of 8 I was found to be very near sighted. The severity of the floaters hasn't changed over the years - I just wish something could be done to get rid of them, for they are very annoying!

Comment from: Richard, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 12

Just had YAG laser surgery on my lense capsule to rid the capsule of clouding. Now some of that debris is driving me crazy as annoying floaters. Had the same treatment on my other eye about 2 years ago and no annoying floaters. Both YAGs were after cateract surgery. Be careful of two doctors who do YAG surgery on floaters. One Dr. in Florida and the other in Virginia, not a proven success and could be dangerous.

Comment from: marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I had surgery on my hand with an intravenous drug to put me under. When the prep nurse put the oxygen in my nose, it was on full blast. When I woke up and we were driving home, I noticed a large floater in my right eye. It has since gotten worse. Went to the ophthalmologist yesterday. She saw no other problem, I just have to live with it. Pain in the butt.

Comment from: DeeDee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had cataract surgery in my right eye in October 2006 and my left eye in November 2006. About three to four weeks ago I started to have blurred vision off and on, mostly in the morning after waking up in my right eye. I made an appointment with the ophthalmologist this past Wednesday and he informed me that the right lens that was implanted was cloudy behind it. He said he could fix it with a laser. He did what you call YAG laser surgery. That night I started to get floaters in my right eye, which I had before my cataract surgery. But after the surgery they went away. Now I'm getting the floaters plus blurred vision off and on.

Comment from: duren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Two weeks after my second cataract surgery the fibrous fingers started to move from side to side in my right eye. Then the following week I developed the same symptom in my left eye. When I look down my eyes cloud up. This condition leaves me unsure of what is in front of me, especially at night. My distance vision is pretty good, but close up I'm limited. I almost wish I had not opted for cataract surgery, based on what I'm experiencing. At times it just about drives me crazy. I found the only relief I get during the day is to wear sun glasses, as it tends to darken the fibrous floaters.

Comment from: Roger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had eye floaters since my teens which increased through to my thirties. I started developing flashing lights to the periphery of both eyes around the age of 30. I have an approximate minus nine diopter in both eyes. I have had six retinal detachments in my right eye in the last two years, the last a macula off and a scleral buckle inserted. I currently await posterior capsular opacification treatment via a laser when my surgeon feels that it can be attempted after I had artificial lenses inserted in both eyes. I had two subsequent detachments to my right eye after lens insertion in July 2011. I have no abnormalities like diabetes or lattice degeneration, so always remember to get checked early.

Comment from: Dewar, 55-64 Male Published: January 06

I was involved in a car accident about a month ago and hit my head on the car visor and had a good bump on my head. About a week ago I started seeing a large circular "floater" in my right eye.

Comment from: morning_walker, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 13

I had an experience where I was out walking at around 7:30 p.m. All of a sudden, an image appeared in my eyes. It looked like a fetus (round head and curved-shaped body with no legs). it lasted for about a minute. It appeared to be about one foot long. I closed both eyes and noticed the image getting smaller, but was now it was very red. When I opened my eyes, it disappeared. I have not had this experience since. But the floater scared me. I also have experienced in the past year, a running and itchy left eye. The ophthalmologist told me it is not a blocked tear duct and just to buy over-the-counter allergic tear drops, which I have now been using for a week but to no relief.

Comment from: Scott, Published: March 16

I am 56 and remember my first floaters back 20 some years ago that just seemed to appear. My last episode occurred a day after I had lacerated the palm of my hand and got 10 stitches. We were driving in the car and I kept noticing a crescent shape line in the far left side of my left eye, I kept moving my eye around and then I saw a dark mass that looked like a stingray fish with a tail. I went to the eye doctor and he dilated my eye to see if any damage had occurred retinal or otherwise, and found none, other than the circular floater. It is very annoying and not sure how to really deal with it.

Comment from: Scott Geller MD, Male (Caregiver) Published: December 26

It's interesting how floater patients are misunderstood, since it's an intermittent phenomenon, vision is often measured 20/20, but significantly reduced when the floater is in the visual axis. This is especially problematic for one eyed patients. Laser for eye floaters works in experienced hands and in selected cases. Why it has not been widely adopted is a mystery since there is supporting evidence in the medical literature. I know because I'm an ophthalmologist who has been doing it for over 20 years and have presented at multiple ophthalmology meetings.

Comment from: Average Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I developed a PVD a few months ago in my left eye. Came on suddenly as flashes of light in my periphery along with a black speck like fly buzzing around. A few hours later the flashes stopped and I was left with the speck and a blurry spot both randomly mobile. The best way to describe it is like wearing glasses with a greasy thumb smudge on the left lens and a fly buzzing around constantly. Doctor told me my brain would eventually filter it out. The speck seems to be less noticeable but the smudge is annoying. Been about 4 months now. Apparently there's no treatment.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am 49 years old. I accidentally struck my right eye removing a clothes hanger from a rack. It wasn't a hard strike but enough to cause my eye to water and vision to blur up a bit. The next day I had a couple of floaters in my right eye. It felt like I was seeing an insect (gnat) flying around my chest. I literally beat my chest thinking at first a gnat was flying near me! It's been 6 weeks, and it has faded a bit, or perhaps I've got used to it. It still annoys me though, especially when looking at something with a white background or in bright sunlight.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

Hi, in my right eye only. Under stress I see thousands of pin prick spots for a few seconds. Under normal sight I have a crescent shape line in the right hand side of my front vision and a water type line in the right hand side and along the bottom. Saw the specialist locally who says they should disappear with time and that otherwise my retina looks fine.

Comment from: Ahmad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I am 39 years old, I had bilateral myopia and floaters for 20 years. Recently I had a journey to a very warm place, I sweat a lot during that trip; shortly after that I noticed that size of floater in my right eye became significantly enlarged. I wonder is it any role of water deficiency /starvation/diet for worsening of floaters.

Comment from: Mumsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am a nearsighted female, aged 54. Last summer (2010) I had a bout of conjunctivitis possibly brought on by seasonal allergy. I had had minimal floaters for 20 years or more, but a major onset of new heavy-duty floaters developed in my right eye with the conjunctivitis. The old floaters would follow the same direction as my gaze but the new ones go in the opposite direction and are superimposed over the old ones. Annoying! I had the slit-lamp exam twice and the ophthalmologist said it looked normal.

Comment from: SunBird, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I think I developed floaters after a course of chemotherapy for chronic leukaemia. They are present in both eyes and I can only see them at dawn and dusk though my night vision is affected. I can't see the stars at night. The floaters improve from time to time but never go away.

Comment from: milenao, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had the cataract operation on both eyes 3 years ago. I was shortsighted with small astigmatism. After the operation. I got 2 thick brown spots on my right eye, but this does not influence my vision. Now I have more brownish strips directly in my central vision and I cannot see even my vision is perfect. I must shake my head to displace the floater from my vision to see clearly again. It is very troublesome and disgraceful. I do not know what to do with it. What I read, nothing can be done without further damage.

Comment from: nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had retina surgery for several tears in my retina. I also have a gas bubble in my eye to hold the retina in place. It has been 4 weeks now and I'm thinking of having the dr. bust the bubble because it is infringing on my eye sight.

Comment from: zoe4809, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have been getting more of these eye floaters as the years go by. They are more prominent in my right eye. I am 44 years old, and I have been getting them since I was around 30. They have gotten much worse just this year. I am extremely near-sighted.

Comment from: Gautam, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I have floaters in my right eye, they very disturbing, their density increases when we see bright light. I am now 18 years old and I have had floaters since the age of 10 and are increasing with time.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter