Patient Comments: Floaters - What They Look Like

Describe how your floater first appeared, and what it looked like. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Richard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I had the distinct non-pleasure of having a very clear, very detailed floater of some kind of tiny arachnid with legs (think tick, or flea) swim from the bottom of my vision to the top of my vision and disappear. Utterly horrifying.

Comment from: Grouper5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I just turned 62 and started to lightly jog in short intervals, and during my walk and started to notice a floater in my right eye. This scared me at first because I did not know what it was. I only seem to have this while I am in motion. I have worn glasses since I was a child, but never had eye problems beyond being far sighted, and mild astigmatism.

Comment from: Lady V, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My floaters developed just last night. I was working in my office when I noticed this black and grey oval, spidery lines floating in front of my left eye. It was and still is there now. Until I looked it up I had no idea what I was dealing with. I will see an eye doctor next week. It is very annoying. It makes the vision in my left eye blurry.

Comment from: Mike_in_OK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Last year I had cataract surgery for both eyes and monofocal lenses installed. A year after the procedures, I have noticed large stringy floaters in my right eye along with some tiny round ones. These are a nuisance because they are always in the normal field of view instead of the periphery. I"m going to visit my optometrist next week to have my eye examined for possible retinal damage. I can only hope that isn"t the case. Perhaps these new floaters can be broken up with a YAG laser, otherwise, I may need a vitrectomy.

Comment from: flower, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have floater in left eye, oval or round and moves with eye movement. When I close my eyes and move them back and forth there is a "lightning” type of flash on the far right of my left eye.

Comment from: Fuzz , 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 02

My husband has eye floaters in one eye first thing in the morning and then they go away.

Comment from: greenlover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

After I had my aortic valve replaced in January 2015 I started seeing floaters that reminded me of fireflies. They drive me nuts, but, oh well.

Comment from: Q, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I got very unpleasant news - looked up at the sky and there it was, big worm-like floater. That is it.

Comment from: cigirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

Mt eye floater looks like a mosquito and it is very annoying.

Comment from: geegy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I get annoyed with the eye floater on my right eye. It is look like an insect. I can see only one eye floater but if I get restless then it will increase its numbers on the day. Again I will see the one on the next day.

Comment from: Joegoodmn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had an itch in my left eye and rubbed it and the floater appeared immediately. I feel I did the damage.

Comment from: happycamper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My floater suddenly appeared one day. At first I thought I had a spider in front of my eye,possibly hanging from my hair. I kept trying to brush it away with my hand as it was annoying esp. when I was trying to do paperwork. I went to the eye doctor immediately and found out it was a floater. Whenever I move my eyes the floater moves, too. Can be annoying at times but am adjusting to it and not noticing it as much. I can see a light black spot even when my eyes are closed

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter