Patient Comments: Floaters - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with floaters. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: kfed, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I never had a problem with floaters until suddenly I developed a flash of light in the outside periphery of my left eye. Now, not only do I have the flashing but I also see a big gray blob floating right in the center of my line of sight. I really notice this big floater when I am reading on the computer or driving during the daytime. It's in the way and I can't read well because of it. Very frustrating! I am 66 years old, and I do hope this thing goes away pretty soon, because it is affecting my daily living and probably my driving as well!

Comment from: Skwiseone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I've had the YAG laser treatment on both eyes. My right eye had a large Weiss ring floater which was successfully zapped. However, I now have a blurry spot that floats around my eye, which tends to make me dizzy and cause headaches.

Comment from: bparker, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

A couple of years ago, I noticed a black dot in the periphery of my left eye's vision. A few months later, that dot became a mesh of clouds and spots. I also noticed some floaters in my left eye. I have been to the eye doctor about four times. It's not blinding, but it does affect my vision and quality of life. Even now, I'm still dealing with them. They're better and worse depending on the day, but I fear this condition will worsen. What scares me also is that it'll stay the same. This problem affects my vision, the activities I choose throughout the day, my psychological health, and is very distracting. Often I'll see things that aren't there, and ignore things that are, because of these floaters.

Comment from: gmcooks, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was removing a pot from a high overhead rack yesterday where it can only be reached by lifting up from the bottom of the pot. The handle came back towards me and hit me on the right cheek near my eye. Soon after, I noticed these floaters and mentioned it to the gal working with me. At first, I thought it might be a smudge on my contact lenses (I'm very myopic), but I took them out and put on my glasses, and the floaters were still there. My husband says they'll go away, but I'm going to follow up with the eye doctor since there's a little blurriness, too.

Comment from: dor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

Out of nowhere, today I got in my car and thought there was something flying around; about 1/2 diameter and black. It is in my right eye and it is floating on the peripheral side.

Comment from: Michael, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I'm 53 and had developed eye floaters about 4 or 5 years ago. The doctors told me that they're harmless, but whoever has had them knows how annoying they are. They also said that I could have them 'burned off' with laser surgery, but there was no way I was going to 'burn' anything off my eyes! So I kind of accepted that my floaters were there to stay.

Comment from: Angy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have been suffering from eyes floaters for a while, I have done nothing to get rid of them.

Comment from: Jane3, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am nearly blind in the left eye; I have lots of floaters and double vision.

Comment from: Jaycool, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I had cataract surgery, about 2 years ago. Now I notice that I have a floater in my right eye, not constantly. Sometimes it is aggravating. I also just noticed in the past months or so, when I look at a window frame with my left eye, it looks somewhat wavy, and the poles don't' look natural straight. I'm going to my doctor Monday morning, 3/14/16.

Comment from: JMSNQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have pathological myopia and had surgery for retinal tears on both eyes eight years ago. Everything has been pretty good since then, until one week ago when I began having flashes in my left eye and then a huge floater burst in. This was due to a posterior vitreous detachment. Because of the floater's size and its location in the center of my eye, I cannot escape having to look through it at any time I'm awake and conscious. I'm so disheartened to think I might have it for the rest of my days.

Comment from: SK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

After a high fever one winter day, masses of floaters abruptly appeared in both of my eyes. They were like spider webs, some rather dark and are of different shapes and sizes. I have been to many doctors and eye specialists but they found my eyes to be very normal and some told me these floaters would go away in time. That was 36 years ago and I am still disturbed by these floaters. They did not go away. More medical research should be done to safely cure people of floaters.

Comment from: Jimi1967, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I recently saw my ophthalmologist for a routine check and was told everything was great. I'm 58, I don't wear glasses (except readers) and have had good vision my entire life. A few days after my doctor visit, I developed a large ghostly blob that floats in and out of the visual field of my right eye. It obscures my vision and is driving me crazy. If it were not for my good left eye, I don't think I would even be able to drive. I went right back to my doctor who told me 'sorry, there's nothing we can do.' I can only hope that this large floater is eventually reabsorbed into the vitreous fluid.

Comment from: Cynde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suddenly had black spider like shapes appear in my right eye. I kept trying to brush it away because I thought it was an eyelash, insect or string. It didn't go away and I could still see it when I closed my eye. It happened so suddenly and without pain.

Comment from: AJ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I first noticed the first floater at age 14, since then, new forms appeared in both eyes. They look like small worms and one of them (the darkest) is a perfect circle. These floaters can be very annoying, especially on foggy days, since the contrast is greater.

Comment from: Nelson, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

The floater is in my left eye. It came on very suddenly and I first thought I had captured a large spider web on the bill of my cap. The floater looks like a black drop of ink when it is dropped in water. It changes sizes and numbers during the day. Additionally if I focus on a white object and close my right eye I see hundreds of small floating dots that look like soot.

Comment from: I Roy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

From childhood when I was 6 to 7 years old I used to see floaters. But that time I did not realize that it is a disease. I took it lightly and ignored it. I was myopic from that time. I used to wear spectacles. I had a regular checkup with an ophthalmologist. But I never told him that I saw floaters. I didn't even think that it was a condition to mention. Then gradually myopic power of the lens of my spectacles increased. When I was 13 to 14 years old, for the first time an ophthalmologist suspected that I may see floaters. But somehow that time too I ignored it. Now I am 19 and now it's really a serious problem. My retina has got severe degeneration as doctor said. In January this year I have undergone a laser barrage surgery to protect the weak spots occurred in retina and to prevent the detachment of retina. But it's not the end of it. I need another laser surgery very soon. Now I really repent for ignoring the very first symptom of this disease. Doctor is surprised to see such a massive degeneration in this age. I am scared too.

Comment from: susy954, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I got my floaters by having an ultra sound test for a nodule on my thyroid. I had to put my head back all the way until the top of my head was on the table. My thyroid is very low and they had a hard time doing the ultra sound. My head was upside down for over half an hour and when I got up I could not see... large floaters in both eyes. That was 4 months ago. I have gone to 3 doctors for the floaters and they say nothing can be done. It obstructs my vision and there are many in both eyes. I can't stand them, but I am told nothing can be done. Hopeless!

Comment from: Tree, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I'm a very active 65 year old that had cataracts removed 2 years ago. Last year I developed large gray floaters in both eyes that when they lined up they blocked most of my vision. My regular eye doctor said they were the largest floaters he had ever seen and then left the room. I went to a specialist that performed the surgery. The floaters were the beginning of detached retina in both eyes that were repaired. The surgery was painless and now, a year later vision is fine. No floaters. I did do a lot of research on my surgeon before the surgery. I value my sight.

Comment from: E Muniz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had floaters for over 10 years. I did thousands of research to learn how to resolve them. In recent months I have been making use of lutein, vitamin C, magnesium chloride, alpha lipoic acid and omega 3. Yesterday I went to the optometrist to make three exams: pachymetry, circadian curve ocular and visual field. This morning, looking at the cloudy sky I noticed that all the dark floaters were gone, some permanent transparent floaters. I do not know if there was any interference of ultrasound on floaters or was effect of the supplements. Because it was something so sudden, I believe pachymetry acted in their disappearance.

Comment from: Dr P P Pradyumnan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I have eye floaters, it is just like the shape of a left 'quote' with hairy attachments. They began 4 months ago. I was consulted with an ophthalmologist, with her suggestion I was consulted with a retina specialist and he concluded that my right eye is in the stage of retinal detachment, he also asked my family history. Then I underwent a LASIK surgery about 2 months back. After the surgery also, the floater persists in my right eye. I again visited the same doctor and he told me that my right eye and retina are in good health, and instructed me to visit the doctor every six months. He also told me that the floater is not a problem, it will be adjusted by your eye.

Comment from: jimmyjet, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

Three days ago I developed a large floater in my left eye. I also started seeing circular light flashes at night. Ten years ago I had cataract surgery in both eyes with mono vision. My left eye is for reading. I noticed some circular flashes shortly after the surgery and the surgeon said it was the edge of the implant lens that was noticeable when my eye was dilated at night and nothing to be concerned about. I have not really noticed these circular flashes much until this new floater developed. The new floater is very noticeable and definitely affects my reading to the extent that I develop a headache after reading a short time.

Comment from: Shez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I noticed two black spots in my right eye that really annoyed me. I went to the optician and was told that it was normal and would go away. A year later they were still there, then suddenly it seemed that I had dozens of spots, all in my right eye. I went to the doctor, again everything was fine. Then I suddenly got many strings and blurred patches in my right eye. Again to the doctor, once again no retinal detachment or disease. Now I have had these for over two years and they interfere a lot with my vision. Hope they go away. Only thing that I can think it might be is that I did take a few accidental hits to my eyes when playing with the dogs.

Comment from: Margaret, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I first noticed a floater when I was 17! An optician told me not to worry as long as they kept moving, so I check occasionally, and they have increased a lot over the years. Twenty years ago, on the evening before we were due to fly to China, I saw a light on the far side of my right eye, and thought it was a reflection on my glasses, but no, and I had no time to see an optician. Next day I noticed a 'veil' floating in the opposite direction to my eye movement. I checked with my optician on our return and luckily no harm had been done. But floaters are so annoying when they all settle just where I'm reading, and I will keep swatting those non-existent flies!

Comment from: GaryG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

Yesterday I experienced a very weird vision problem. I had a reoccurring floater object which seemed to be in my left eye. When I closed my left eye it still existed. When I closed my right eye it still existed. When I closed both eyes I saw a very clear image. It started from a small rectangle and then the lines form a very precise set of graphics. I would describe it as a set of 5 or so stair steps going up and then a set of 8 or so going down. The graphics constantly moved from lower right to upper left. I was not blinking or constantly opening and shutting my eyes. The Lines were black with a bright white section on both sides. With my eyes open I could see the shapes but they looked more like a typical floater. The images existed for around 8 minutes and then went away.

Comment from: ashes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I got my floater in December, in my left eye. I was driving when I first noticed it. I thought it was a small bug or something flying around. It looks like a tiny grayish blob but I can never look directly at it. Sometimes it goes away. Sometimes if I blink really hard it goes away. It doesn"t bother me as much anymore, it doesn"t obstruct my vision or anything.

Comment from: Miller, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

The floater is in my right eye. When I look down, the top half of my vision is obscured by a grey cloud.

Comment from: SomeLady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

This is what happened first, picture if you can, having a piece of glass in front of your face and a black line scribbled across it. Everywhere you move your eyes that black line moves with them (moving the glass with your eyes) back and forth, up and down. I put eye drops in, rubbed my eyes thinking I had something in my eye. Today it is clearer but still a squiggly line moving across my eyes all day. I will look out of the corner of my eye thinking there is a person or the cat walking by but there was nothing, just that squiggly shadow/line. My vision is also very blurred, like it has dramatically changed in the last few days.

Comment from: Cynthia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have never had floaters until last Sunday, they just showed up! I had a thorough examination by a retina specialist who told me that there was no tear in the retina so just watch out for new floaters. How can one tell if a floater is new! I am 66 and have been nearsighted my whole life, this just makes it worse.

Comment from: Babs, 75 or over (Patient) Published: March 18

I have had right eye cataract removal 5 days ago and for the last three days I have these minute black spots in that eye and a haze that are very troubling. The surgeon said she thinks the condition is blood in the eye.

Comment from: julia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I noticed the floater a few days ago, and it has been driving me nuts. It looks like a black dot in my right upper peripheral vision, it almost looks like a fruit fly and I catch myself swatting at it every here and there. It's worse when I'm somewhere bright or taking a test, (I'm 20 years old and I'm a student!) and when I'm somewhere more dim or dark it's less noticeable. Like I said, I'm only 20 years old and I really hope I don't have to deal with "floaters" for the rest of my life. I don't have insurance to see an ophthalmologist either, so I'm not sure what to do!

Comment from: Aging sucks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

The floaters in my eyes are so large, my ophthalmologist stated, "Gosh, it looks like I could just reach in there and grab them." They are big, and they cover a large area of my vision. I don't think there is anything I can do, but it makes it very difficult to do my job, that is, looking in a microscope. From the ocular of the scope my floaters look like aliens with tentacles and random hair outgrowths. I hate these, but my choice is laser or what I call, "scoop-out" surgery, and those are out. So I have great vision that is rendered miserable by objects that float in my vitreous fluid.

Comment from: soso1264, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. Several months later, I began to have floaters in my right eye. I was shopping when these black spider like forms appeared in my eye. I panicked and went to see a retina specialist the very next day. He dilated both my eyes and said my eyes were healthy. It has been over a year now since both of my surgeries and today I'm seeing floaters in my left eye. I'll be going to the retina specialist this Monday. I hate having them. Some days are worse than others. But I'm not as scared as I was about them the first time it happened.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 18

I experienced a large mass of floaters in my right eye over a year ago. On or two of them are quite large, and if the light is right, I can see a large "swarm" of tiny ones. My optometrist diagnosed partial detachment of the vitreous, though this type of thing happens to people in their 60's, typically. I was 56. I also have keratoconus. There was a flash of light on the side of my eye which I understand is normal when this happens. This light has subsided over the year, not the same thing happened in my left eye this week. A couple of these floaters are very large. It's annoying for sure. It's like having a swarm of some strange strand-like or spots that you can't quite see, always with you. I would like to have surgery to remove them if possible.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had problems with floaters my whole life. Several years ago I had a partial detachment of the retina and the floaters took over my vision. Then the same thing happened in my other eye. My ophthalmologist told me that nothing could be done, yet referred me to a retinal specialist who took one look, said "those are the worst floaters I have ever seen" and scheduled me for surgery the following month. I've had two surgeries to remove the vitreous fluid from my eyes and the floaters with them. For a couple of months, I had beautiful, perfect (with glasses) vision. Then the cataracts started advancing. At first I was OK ... I had been told that my cataracts would get worse. My eyes are "interesting" said one surgeon who passed on doing my cataract surgeries and referred me to another specialist. I cannot have my astigmatism repaired due to the lack of vitreous fluid. I am 51 years old, and there is a strong possibility that I may never see well again. A good, solid refractive surgery would probably cure me of all my eye problems, but my insurance considers refractive surgery to be cosmetic. It would cost me $5,000 per eye to pay for it myself. If I had the money, (or even the credit), I would definitely have refractive surgery and stop worrying about detaching my retinas.

Comment from: J. Bioh, Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I was taking my bath, and some of the foam dropped on my right eye. I felt severe pain for a minute. The next three days when I looked up on the sky I see thousands of tiny black spots on my vision.

Comment from: Kali, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have been very nearsighted all my life. The other day, poof, the floaters just appeared, now it is showing up in the other eye. I have worn contact lenses all of my adult life. It must be related, dry eyes and all. Oh well, the clock keeps ticking.

Comment from: arrowhead3k, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My research tells me that daily use (twice) of MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) with vitamin C and bioflavonoids may be useful in eliminating floaters. It is possible that floaters are caused by candida and MSM is a good candida fighter. So, test yourself for candida, and if you've got it, go into an anti-candida program and make sure you include MSM, vitamin C and bioflavonoids. Another powerful candida fighter apparently is a product called lufenuron. Good luck.

Comment from: yay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have eye floaters. They began a few weeks ago. I am 48 years old and had Lasix surgery 13 years ago and my sight is starting to diminish. I also have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and am using a light box beginning last month. I am treated for depression and have nightmares regularly.

Comment from: gt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have a black disjointed string to the right of my right eye that is very annoying and it started 4 days ago. I am just happy to hear that it isn't serious at this stage. I am 67 and enjoy reading more than anything. So hopefully it will go away someday soon.

Comment from: Ernesto, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I have floaters in my right eye, which did not cause me any problem. Yesterday, I felt pressure on the right eye and around my eyebrows area, which went away fast. Today I again felt pressure only in the right eye for a few seconds and went away. I do not suffer from high blood pressure. I was given an appointment with a retinologist for December 16th.

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Last two days I woke up with string-like floaters in one eye. I am near-sighted, I mostly wear my glasses but do wear contact lens. By the end of the day it usually goes away.

Comment from: jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Floaters appeared after post vitreous detachment. My right eye, which is my worst for vision, is the most affected. There is a big blob in the middle and a Weiss ring. It definitely helped reading how many people have these, and how bothered they are by them. At least I'm not alone.

Comment from: Lady Herpetologist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I woke up this morning with some dark black threadlike floaters in my left eye. They are not all on the same plane; I can see one is farther forward than the other. They're quite distracting and I certainly hope they do reabsorb quickly. I wish I knew what caused them. I've had minor translucent floaters before but not dark ones.

Comment from: NOLAmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had myopia and floaters most of my life – they weren't big and just a minor bother. But then one day about six months ago, my vision changed and the eye doctor said I had a posterior vitreous detachment. Then the huge floater appeared right in my line of vision. It has been constant, like a furry ball blocking things I am looking at, and really affecting my quality of life. Things I always enjoyed and need to be doing are now strained, like reading, driving, having-face-to-face conversations, enjoying events with my son, working, movies, etc. When I look at anything, there is this big wiggly obstruction. I begged the eye doctor to give me advice as to what can be done, surely there must be help. She said, "Live with it, this is your new normal." That seemed so cold and I just can't accept that nothing can be done to help this. Well, I did some research and found out about the YAG laser treatment being very successful. So I have an appointment next month with a Florida eye specialist who is a pioneer in the treatment for floaters, and I am looking forward to getting help and seeing better.

Comment from: duhon78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am severely myopic and have noticed floaters over the last six months. I am 30 years old and wonder if this age is abnormally young for floaters. I've been trying to wear my coke bottle glasses more often, and this seems to relieve some eye irritation, but not the floaters.

Comment from: hazel193, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I've had floaters for as long as I can remember ... a lot of them. I don't fit any of the usual profiles. I'm extremely far-sighted. I don't have diabetes. I've never had surgery on my eyes. I don't and have never had any of the other diseases mentioned in the article. They are annoying. I was told an acupuncturist can help.

Comment from: Andy, 25-34 Male Published: October 14

I'm a 32-year-old man, who has eye floaters mostly in my right eye. Sometimes they are annoying, especially when looking at plain and light surfaces (like the sky or bright walls). Some days they are more annoying than others. If I could, I would get rid of them. I think I have had them since I can remember. They initially seemed like small dots of hot air (almost transparent). I used to turn my head around chasing these "dots of air." Now my vision looks like some dark lines and spots. It's worse than it used to be.

Comment from: CmeNow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have just today experienced seeing a floater that looked like a big black blob, sort of like the size and the length of a caterpillar.

Comment from: DAMIAN, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had floaters since birth. After cataract surgery my left eye got worse, sometimes I feel desperate. I went to a Florida doctor and had 8 laser treatments but no improvement at all after spending over $3,000 with the treatment. Doctors should seek a cure for this problem that affects millions of people worldwide; hope soon, before I die (I 69 now), I will have a cure for this problem.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 55 and there is only one word needed to describe eye floaters: annoying.

Comment from: victoriac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have just recently developed quite a few floaters in both my eyes. Most of them in my left eye. They look like long threads and move around when I move my eyes. I have gone to two different eye doctors and a retina specialist. They have all said it happens with age and they will eventually will settle to the bottom of my eye or my brain will learn to ignore them. It has been 3 months and no change. I talked to the retina specialist and he said that there is a surgery called a vitrectomy to get rid of floaters but there is a risk of developing cataracts. Has anyone had this surgery or have any advice on how to ignore these. I do not like going outside anymore because of these and its hurting my quality of life.

Comment from: TonyRoq, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

Floaters began appearing in my field of vision about a year ago. An ophthalmologist said, “Nothing to be done; just don't worry.” One thing I wonder about and I hope someone out there can offer some help, is why the intensity of the disturbance in the field of vision varies from day to day. I think there must be some connection to lifestyle and diet. In my case, drinking alcohol almost certainly makes the activity of the floaters more intense. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed effects of diet on their vision.

Comment from: Ally, 45-54 Female Published: April 22

Four months ago, I noticed what I thought was a hair hanging down in my right eye. I tried bathing it over and over, but it made no difference. I went to my doctor, who referred me to an ophthalmologist, who diagnosed a floater. He said it might drift out of view in time. I am an artist and deeply depressed about this issue.

Comment from: patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had large floater in left eye since May 07. I was told nothing could be done with it and I have gotten used to it. This past weekend I developed a black spot in right eye. I went to eye doctor Tuesday and was told it was another floater and nothing could be done and to come back for recheck in six weeks. Yesterday the black spot turned into a large floater, so now I have what looks like long black ink spot floating in both eyes. I am going back to eye doctor tomorrow but I am not hopeful. I am sure I will be told that it needs to be watched and to come back for rechecks and call asap if there is any pain or flashing lights or black areas in my vision. I am very nearsighted and feel that my eyesight has been a major pain in the neck for the last 20 years between the progressively stronger and stronger prescriptions due to not being able to see basically anything with out glasses or contacts and now the floater thing. I am worried I will eventually lose my sight but the doctor says I won't, so I hope he is right.

Comment from: Pegasus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have experienced floaters since being treated for Toxoplasmosis in 1973. I was a healthy young adult with no compromised immune system. The Toxo manifested in my right eye only and so far the only place that I can detect the floaters. Most of them appear like strands of algae, but there is one small dense spot that I sometimes think is an insect flying past my head. For the most part, I am not bothered by them except when I am tired or my eyes have been under additional strain from work, etc. At those times, it can be a little annoying. So far, I have not noticed them worsening with age.

Comment from: Annie , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I started having some floaters in my right eye during the week and then by the weekend they got a lot worse. It looks like wispy strands of black cobwebs and then I was trying to see a thin curtain. I went to my eye doctor because I was also seeing two silver bands of light from the right side of my eye. I thought I had a torn retina but my doctor said that I didn't. I have an appointment to see a Retina Specialist. About a year ago I begin having some blurring in my right eye caused by bleeding in the back of my eye. I went to the same Retina Specialist and had a injection in my eye and then some laser zapping of some of the blood vessels. My eye improved quite a bit and that had been over a year now.

Published: August 12

My father suffered from floaters in both eyes and simply could not live with the "just learn to live with it philosophy." After doing a great deal of research on the subject (and making the rounds to the other doctors) he went to the doctor in CA and had the laser procedure done with great success. His quality of life has been restored and his floaters are a fraction of what they were. Dr. Johnson is an extremely meticulous, very competent doctor who was an absolute pleasure to work with.

Comment from: Pat, 13-18 Male Published: May 01

I am 15 years old and I have had eye floaters for about as long as I can remember. I have tons of them, but I've never taken much worry. Also, my parents never understood and thought I was making it up. That was, until my mom developed some. She went to the eye doctor and they told her. Now she understands what I was going through. Is it normal to develop them very early? I'm thinking about getting them checked.

Comment from: junebugg, 65-74 Female Published: November 19

I am 70 yrs. old and have had floaters for about 6-7 years. I also at times have 100s of floaters with flashers in both eyes. This is very scary, and annoying. My eye doctor an optometrist said no signs of detachment, but should go to the hospital immediately if my vision is cloudy, do I need to see someone else? I am not satisfied with his answer. I have had these for about 2 weeks this time and they are very bothersome, especially the flashers.

Comment from: mks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

The description of the floaters I see would be more like a kaleidoscope of silver light. I see a curved line in each eye that consists of what you would see when looking through a kaleidoscope. I do not know how else to describe it. Each appear to be the same curved line in each eye. They last about 15 minutes and occur every 3 months.

Comment from: chuk, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My floaters appear as a big circle with squiggle lines and big black spots. Also tiny black spots appear as though I am looking at thousands of bugs what can I do I am desperate.

Comment from: Sight For Sore Eyes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I am a 44 year old male and have had floaters since I was at least 30 years old. They have gotten more numerous and annoying every year. They vary in appearance and look like black thread with debris attached to them. Some are transparent, and look like long cell structures under a microscope. I searched the Internet and found a doctor who treats these floaters with a laser.

Comment from: rummelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Mine are like a circle and I have a few lines and squiggles. I wish we did not have them; I have the protein kind; can they go away as well? I read somewhere that protein floaters can go away eventually. Thanks and does that mean we will always have floaters once we start? Also has anyone gotten rid of their floaters and how? Thanks for any help from an almost a year floater sufferer.

Comment from: josh, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 15 years old and I have very apparent eye floaters. In fact I believe I have had them since, at least 6 years of age. They seem to be more noticeable when I'm lacking sleep, and when I look into a bright light, without moving my pupil at all, I can't see them in much detail.

Comment from: Ellie, 55-64 Female Published: September 26

It feels like I have mascara stuck on the end of my fringe or eyelashes, sometimes when I'm concentrating, I forgot about it, however if I think about it I can still see it, very annoying and irritating at times, looking for a cure.

Comment from: Davis88, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I am a 45 year old female who began to have major floaters about 5 years ago. In the last year they have gotten worse. I have to focus on something a few seconds before the floaters move enough to allow me to see it clearly. This makes it very difficult to drive on unfamiliar roads at night. My ophthalmologist says nothing can be done and the fact that I am extremely nearsighted makes the floaters even more obvious to me! She has also told me that the surgeons who claim to get rid of the floaters simply "bust up" the floaters and they become smaller, but all the gel is still there.

Comment from: jterry1245, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have little floaters before, but nothing like this. I went to the doctors and was told I had a tear in my retina. He did laser treatment and I though the floater would disappear. Well it didn't. I am trying to look around the floater as I type this note. It looks like a brownish color, which was probably blood. I work the night shift and driving tonight was very difficult. I am calling the doctor in the morning and whatever has to happen, this thing has to go!

Comment from: Debra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

With all the foreign money spent by this country you would think that a cure for floaters would be a good possibility, the same for other diseases such as diabetes. I started have floaters at a fairly young age, all of a sudden my background turned gray and these black dots and crooked lines appeared. It's terrible feeling you may never have your sight back as you remember it.

Comment from: stevieb43, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I lost my right eye vision from an injury. Now I'm dealing with floaters in my good eye. They are getting worse to the point that I can't do to much detail work. I work on cars, wiring, and small things. It's very frustrating because I believe I'm going blind in my eye. Doctors says they will settle, but it seems to be getting worse.

Comment from: Norm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

Floaters started appearing about two week after I had my left eye operated on.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter