Eye allergy (or allergic eye disease) are typically associated with hay fever and atopic dermatitis. Medications and cosmetics may cause eye allergies. Allergic eye conditions include allergic conjunctivitis, conjunctivitis with atopic dermatitis, vernal keratoconjunctivitis, and giant papillary conjunctivitis. Dry eye, tear-duct obstruction, and conjunctivitis due to infection are frequently confused with eye allergies. Eye allergies may be treated with topical antihistamines, decongestants, topical mast-cell stabilizers, topical anti-inflammatory drugs, systemic medications, and allergy shots. Read more: Eye Allergy Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Eye Allergies
Severe allergic eye symptoms can be very distressing and are a common reason for visits to the allergist or ophthalmologist. See...
Picture of Blepharitis
Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelids and occurs in two forms, anterior (outside of the eyelid) and posterior (inner...
Picture of Eye Anatomy Detail
The eye has a number of components which include but are not limited to the cornea, iris, pupil, lens, retina, macula, optic...
Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
Trying to get rid of pink eye? If you woke up with crusty eyelids and red, swollen eyes, you may have pink eye also called...
10 Worst Cities for Spring Allergies With Pictures
See pictures of the top 10 "spring allergy capitals", according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). From...
Common Eye Problems and Infections
Eye diseases can cause damage and blindness if not detected and treated soon enough. Learn the warning signs and symptoms of...
Pictures of Allergy Relief Tips at Home: AC Filters, Electronic Air Cleaners, and More
Learn how a combination of medication, preventing allergens, and allergy relief products can reduce allergy symptoms and help you...
Nasal Irrigation: Natural Relief for Cold & Allergy Symptoms
Clogged sinuses and congestion bothering you? Nasal irrigation can relieve sinus symptoms associated with colds and allergies....
Top 13 Ways to Tame Eye Allergies
Eye allergies, or allergic conjunctivitis, cause itchy eyes and other allergic symptoms. Avoiding allergens and using medicated...
Your Face: A Window Into Your Health
What medical problems appear on your face? Look into the mirror and find out. Jaundice, glaucoma, skin cancer, and cracked lips...
Eye Health: Why Are My Eyes Watery?
Always tearing up? Everyday things can make your eyes water, but so can some medical conditions....
IMAGESSee a picture of eye diseases and conditions See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Eye Care and Eye Disorder
Many common eye disorders resolve without treatment and some may be managed with over-the-counter (OTC) products. It's important...
The allergic cascade refers to allergic reactions that happen in the body in response to allergens. A variety of immune cells and...
Indoor allergens are substances that can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Common sources of indoor allergens include...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Contact Lenses: Colored, Soft, Hard, Toric and Bifocal
Contact lenses fit over the cornea and correct vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. Contact...
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Symptoms, Diet, Treatments, Pregnancy)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disorder causing inflammation of the thyroid gland....
A sty is a bump that forms on the eyelid as a result of a blocked gland. Styes may be caused by infections, burns, or trauma to...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
Local ResourcesFind a local Asthma & Allergy Specialist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- fexofenadine (Allegra, Mucinex Allergy)
- loratadine, Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert, Claritin Hives Relief, Children's Claritin
- dexamethasone (Decadron, DexPak)
- cetirizine, Zyrtec, Zyrtec Allergy, Zyrtec Hives
- cromolyn, Nasalcrom, Gastrocrom (Intal, Opticrom are discontinued)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- desloratadine, Clarinex, Clarinex Reditabs
- sodium chloride solution - ophthalmic, Muro-128
- fluorometholone ointment - ophthalmic, FML S.O.P.
- emedastine solution - ophthalmic, Emadine
- lodoxamide - ophthalmic, Alomide
- Periactin (cyproheptadine)
- EpiPen (epinephrine auto-injector, EpiPen Jr)
- olopatadine - ophthalmic solution, Pataday, Patanol
- ketorolac tromethamine (Acular, Acular LS, Acuvail)
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Contact Lens Safety
- Climate Change Could Worsen Sneezin' Season
- Health Tip: Taming Allergies
- Under-the-Tongue Allergy Pills Replacing Shots for Many
- Spring Is the Sneezing Season
- Spring Break Is No Vacation From Contact Lens Care
- Health Tip: Using Eye Makeup
- How to Prevent and Treat Eye Allergies
- A 'Hypoallergenic' Dog? You May Be Barking Up the Wrong Tree
- Decorative Contact Lenses a Danger at Halloween, Any Time
- Don't Turn a Blind Eye to Vision Problems
- Contact Lenses May Harbor Serious, Blinding Infection
- FDA Extends EpiPen Expiration Dates to Tackle Shortage
- Health Tip: What to Do if You Scratch Your Eye
- Be Smart When It Comes to Spring Allergies and Asthma
- Spring Sneezin' Season Has Sprung
- Health Tip: Easing Eye Allergies
- Allergan Recalls Contaminated Eye Ointments
- Health Tip: Spotting the Signs of Eye Allergy
- Health Tip: Understanding Eye Allergies
- Health Tip: Help Control Eye Allergy Symptoms
- Health Tip: Managing Dry Eyes
- Child Poisonings From Eye Drops, Nose Sprays
- Protecting Your Eyes During Allergy Season
- Blood Tests for Allergies
- Hair Care Disasters: Caution with Relaxers and Dyes
- Eye Drops: How to Insert Eye Drops
- Dietary Supplement Could Blind You
- Sick Building Syndrome
- Ergonomics: Computer Workstations Lighting
- Decorative Contact Lenses, Wearer Beware
- Poor Eyesight Can Lead To Bad Grades
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter