Patient Comments: Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: WildernessBob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a small saltwater catfish fall off the hook and fall onto my foot from about 4 ft. The side fin punctured my soft top shoe and punctured the tissue at the base of my big toe exactly at the joint. I was more than a half mile walk in hot soft sand from the car and knew right away I had a problem. Within minutes the poison had affected the foot in a circle including four toes, and the swelling and discoloration continued until two days ago (14 days after being stung ). I have been stung by dozens of catfish in the past 50 years and never had the poison affect me because usually I bled and the blood washed out the poison. I actually did not believe they were poisonous but I am a believer now. This time I did not bleed so I received my reward. The second day after being stung I had to see my doctor because the infection had gotten a strong foothold and the pain was unbelievable. The doctor put me on Bactrim DS twice a day for five days then we repeated it after I saw him again. They took a culture sample and xrayed the wound looking for foreign matter but none was found. After 12 days the doctor opened the wound that was still oozing pus and cleaned it out and then flushed it with a saline solution. That was two days ago and I believe it is finally healing but it is still hurting.

Comment from: eager1, 65-74 Female Published: March 15

I was bitten by a black widow spider. I had no access to medical help. When a red line started to go up my arm I used Epsom salt, made a paste, applied it, and secured a cover on my arm for about a week and a half. It finally started to clear up, but for about a month I was very disoriented, tired and restless. It left a pit type scar. Hope it never happens again. I will hesitate to seek care.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have suffered eustachian tube problems for thirty three years. In 1994 I suffered bacterial meningitis through an ear infection due to the eustachian being blocked and subsequently infected with bacteria. My ears are blocked most days and using steroid nasal sprays don't seem to help. I see my ENT specialist twice a year and I now think it's time I had the tubes inserted. I never get earache, however, I do suffer allergies. This is an extremely miserable problem. I purchased a machine called the EarPopper and it doesn't work. I've simply tried everything possible.

Comment from: Peeps23, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I've suffered from Eustachian tube problem, with an 18 month history of stuffiness in the ears, and worse up and down hills, etc. I had tubes inserted into both ear drums which really helped the pressure feeling but gave me terrible and unbearable autophony. I had the tubes removed, and am now left with the ear pressure feeling. I also tried nystatin thinking it might be yeast, and I have put the drops into my mouth and swirled around twice daily now for a week and no change.

Comment from: Bette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was diagnosed with a blocked eustachian tube in my left ear! After a round of antibiotics, and being treated for middle ear infection, they decided the tube is blocked. I am going out of my mind! The vibration and pressure in my ear us incredible! I'm on 3 different nose sprays! I can't take it! There is no pain, just pressure!

Comment from: Willy_B, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

It's 5 am and I'm pacing up and down the living room like a caged animal. Because the pressure in my head is unbearable. Left side eustachian is blocked (again) and trying to blow clear while holding nose is making it 10 times worse. I am in a bad way. If I can find some relief, I will share the method.

Comment from: heretohelp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

After getting a severe upper respiratory infection which nearly took me out, I developed a major feeling of clogged ear, swollen scalp/brain, and debilitating vertigo. I lived with it for 18 months. No doctors or specialists could help. It turned out, through a tip from someone who'd had the same thing, that I had an inner ear yeast infection. Here's what you need to know: the eustachian tubes don't always open and shut when they should. I had been drinking fruit juice (lying down) to help with the dehydration from the respiratory flu and it had been going up my tube. I got prescription for nystatin and, I kid you not, within a couple of hours, it started working. By the next day I had almost total relief from all my symptoms. It literally saved my life. Do not drink sweet drinks or milk or eat sweets and lie down. This is what causes inner ear bacterial infections, too, like babies get. You can also try consuming garlic or xylitol gum or sweetener, both which kill yeast and bacteria. These may help kill off what is causing the inflammation. If not, speak to your doctor or an allergist about trying a round of nystatin.

Comment from: always hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been dealing with painful clogged tubes for 4 years resulting from a serious sinus infection. I had seen an audiologist, ENT and my family doctor multiple times over the years with testing showing everything is fine. One day I mentioned this to my chiropractor and he said my eustachian tubes were blocked. He applied a hot pack to my sinus areas with my head gently tilted backwards. After 10 minutes with the hot pack he applied pressure (which was very painful due to the inflammation) and he massaged all the sinus areas. The next day I felt wonderful. The pressure is beginning to build again so I am going to see the chiropractor again. It is a much better approach than taking drugs that cover up the problem.

Comment from: Toya Bishop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a bad cold, a congested and runny nose. I went to the doctor last Sunday. The doctor prescribed amoxicillin 500mg, and some congestion cough syrup. Well, I took all the medicines for 7 days. I found myself back at the doctor yesterday because my ears were clogged, it felt like I had been on an airplane or swimming. I was hearing ringing noises that no one else would hear. So this time I went back to the doctor and he gave me a steroid shot and prescribed me Wal-Phed D. And he told me to pinch my noise and breathe; that helped too. It was a little painful for me as my ears popped, but it did cause some relief. I feel a lot better today. My hearing is not all the way yet, but it is much better than it was all last week. I thought I was losing my hearing.

Comment from: PAS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I started having what I thought was a toothache or ear ache. The pain got worse so I went to the emergency room. The doctor took an x-ray of my sinuses and said they were clear. It was a cut and dry case of a cold that settled in my Eustachian tubes. He prescribed me a Medrol Pak for six days and Afrin for three days. Tomorrow will start my third day and I have barely any relief. I have the worst ear pain, shooting pain in the ear and jaw with a tingling sensation all over the left side of my face. Even my vision is blurry and my face has been swollen.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I have found some very significant relief through a maneuver like the one described in the article except that I don't blow (in fact I'm very surprised that they suggest it here because I have learned and felt that it is a dangerous technique if overdone) I suck. Pinch your nose and breathe in. It seems to help to close my Eustachian tube. I have a problem with my voice being very loud in my own ears. That affected me so much when I was a kid that it kept me from speaking. As a result, my voice has always been very soft. When I was young, I had ear infections almost every year. Recently I moved to Brazil and have had sinus infections due to the climate. But now, with the things that I have learned about anatomy and the different cavities and tubes and things in my head, I don't have the problems with ear infections like I used to. Through the 'sucking' maneuver, my voice doesn't go straight to my own ear like it used to and the pressure in my ear feels a lot more normal.

Comment from: rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I got two long cat scratches along the right eye and eyebrow. On the eyelid itself, there seems to be a pus pocket. I am not sure if it is related but I have been cramping in various places; I have drunk plenty of water with no help.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I researched on line and found an ENT who put stents in my eustachian tubes. Another ENT had put tubes in a few months prior which had made my symptoms unbearable. The muscles that open and close when swallowing, yawning, etc., were not moving. I was not blocked. There are just a few ENTs in the US that do this procedure so I drove a long way to see him. So worth it. I have stents and tubes. I am still working on clearing out the chronic gunk I've had for so long but I am better. It is exactly the procedure I needed.

Comment from: syl, Female Published: May 29

Retracted tympanic membrane for almost twenty years with numerous surgeries and medications to no avail for Eustachian tube problem. Constant fullness and never-ending hearing of own heartbeat-excruciating! Have a hard time listening to heart sounds problem for any nurse! Had tympanoplasty, tonsillectomy, tubes, and septoplasty! I can't stand it!

Comment from: suzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

After many weeks of coughing due to drainage in back of throat, I went through a whole array of treatments. Sinus scan, sinus surgery, allergy testing, and finally tubes in ears. They run about 500 dollars each and are very small. They in time, fall out on their own. All this due to allergy to dust mites after removing and replacing carpet. I coughed and slept little for over a year. The tubes did help. Every spring, the fluid builds again and settles in my right ear. I am currently using a nasal spray, and Allegra for allergy control, to no avail. Right ear still has pressure on it. At night, the fluid feels what I call "the lava flow". I'm considering the tube in the ear again. Most of you will agree. How can snot make us so miserable!

Comment from: Maureen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have no useful treatments to suggest; my experience of ENT specialists is that they are a waste of time, energy and money as far as my problems go. I was surprised, however, not to see Sjogren's Syndrome (autoimmune disease which disables moisture-producing glands) listed as a possible cause of Eustachian tube blockage, as I know this is the cause of my problems, though not exactly how it works or how (if) my stuffy nose is related. I am in the unenviable position of knowing that my problems are, and will continue, to get worse, hopelessly. Good luck to all suffering similarly.

Comment from: misswildcat, 25-34 Female Published: January 21

I've had problems with my ears for over a year now. It started out with a lot of pressure in my head and sinuses. I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. The medicine did help clear the pressure from my head but my ears began to make a cracking sound constantly. It's like putting your ear next to a bowl of rice crispies cereal. It's driving me crazy. The doctor told me that I have to have tubes put in my ears and that I can't fly or go to the mountains where there is high altitude. It could cause my ear drums to bust. I just wish that it would go away. I don't have insurance and no telling what tubes are going to cost.

Comment from: Deafy, 65-74 Female Published: January 19

I'm 68 and dismayed to read about how pesky this ear tube problem seems to be. I thought it was only me! My right side tube has been blocked for about 5 or 6 years. In the past it was only in winter and as soon as the weather warmed up it was gone, to return as the weather got cold again, but this year it is still here in summer. It feels as though there is a moth or something fluttering in your ear. The only relief I get for a minute or so, is to push it with my finger. I tried an ENT specialist who told me to inhale Eucalyptus over a bucket of hot water, gave me drops for night and day sterile water to squirt up my nose, and after spending a lot of money and getting no result I gave up. My nose also has had a tendency to block up perhaps since childhood, certainly most of my adult life. I don't sleep very well when it's hot and notice my nose seems to block up worse then. Most things seem worse when you're tired. I had hoped to find some tips on how to treat this, but it looks to be a stubborn problem. No joy.

Comment from: Kimberly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I just recently had what I think was a minimal cold, and the right ear and below in my neck area is swollen. I thought it was a lymph node swelling but the doctor said it was my eustachian tube. My ear does not hurt but the lump in the side of my neck does hurt. Just picked up medication and will see if it works. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Tracy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I went to work on Friday. By the end of the day, I had a cough and a fever of 101 degrees. The doctor looked me over, listened to my lungs and said that it was just the flu and sent me home with a prescription for Tamiflu. A few days later, I was not feeling any better, but went to work. I went to the hospital and after a nasal swab for flu, blood tests, breathing treatments, examinations, and chest X-rays, the doctor diagnosed me with pneumonia in my right lung. He said that strangely enough, four different doctors were unable to detect anything wrong by listening to my lungs with a stethoscope, but with the X-rays, there was no denying the pneumonia.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had problems with a blocked Eustachian tube off and on for several years. It causes me dizziness, difficulty hearing, and at its worst, causes a sound that I liken to hearing "bugs in the weeds by the side of the road." One thing that has helped me at times is to take about a quarter cup of hot sauce, dip it in something such as popcorn, and then eat it. This seems to get my sinuses running and relieves the pressure. Also, I have had some success by sniffing from a jar of horseradish and it does the same thing for me.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I went to the doctor as a last resort after a period of about three weeks of 'blocked' Eustachian tubes; first one ear, then the other, then both. The doctor experience was not good. After spending a total of over $750 dollars, antibiotics, and getting side-tracked to blood-pressure and heart problems (included then EKGing me) both ears were still blocked. Over a month later I resorted to over the counter products - vitamins and ear cleansers. Maybe it was timing, but the pharmacy ear specific vitamins worked! Within 24 hours hearing in both ears really improved and 48 hours later all problems were gone. I never received a good answer from my Doctor on what the problem was...

Comment from: Dre, Published: April 10

My one tip for controlling severe pain on planes that I experience is to wear ear plugs the whole flight. Sure, you can't do much but sit there, but being pain free is the better option, in my opinion.

Comment from: charlotte, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Well, last year I got a sciatic nerve irritation in my left hip and leg. My doctor sent me to a physical therapist. I felt like an old lady – I am only 44 now! Before seeing the PT, I got some arthritis medication, which seemed to help a little, but the side effects were so severe that I stopped taking them. I do stretching exercises every day to help myself. I got a balance nerve irritation that I tried to cope with and it is eventually gone. Now I have this Eustachian tube problem…

Comment from: lkm020, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I suffered from poor hearing (sensorineural) in addition to eustachian tube blockage for many years. Hearing aids helped, but the treatment for the eustachian tube problem (Desloratidine tablets and Beconase nasal spray) made a huge difference. I went on the Atkins diet some years later and found that I no longer needed the nasal spray or the tablets. Two weeks ago my left ear blocked up again. Convinced it was the eustachian tube blockage back (I have been off the Atkins diet for a few years now, and recently been eating more bread than usual) I went back on the mediactiona. Turned out to be a wax blockage which I never had before.

Comment from: glenno, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

My ear feels strange on left side. It started a couple weeks ago and is not getting any better. I went to a specialist and he told me at first it was a sinus infection. I took augmentin for 10 days, but it didn't help. He then looked up my nose with the micro camera and didn't see anything but a little fluid draining from the Eustachian tube. He now has me on another antibiotic for 7 days. This is crazy! I can feel it more when I turn my head to that side. It feels like pressure, and kind of tickles a bit…

Comment from: shortpeople, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

My eardrum burst and I was told I had strep ear. I was put on antibiotics but before it healed, my face was paralyzed with Bell's Palsy. The ENT was confused, he said that Bell's Palsy is what caused by a virus (they think) and that I had a bacterial infection. After three weeks the Bell's Palsy went away (with the help of steroids) and my eardrum healed. A hearing test was done and I had little loss. The ENT said that I was fine and I told him that I wasn't because I still feel like my ear is full. Nothing has helped and that has been 11 months ago. I was hoping that I would find answers here but it sounds like everybody is just putting up with it.

Comment from: Ella, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had two sinus operations. I thought I was relieved during the first operation. Then I had the second one. After two years, sinus is not my only problem, it escalated to ear blockage. I went to my ENT specialist, and I had two instances in which grommets had been fitted off and on. Now it winter, and suffering with Eustachian tube problem. It's been almost two weeks now, that I tried all the medications. Nose spray, eucalyptus inhaler, nose inhaler and still the problem persists. My only hope is my daily prayer that God, Lord Jesus will do a miracle for me.

Comment from: DingleBell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I too have Eustachian tube problems, especially in the left side. I think you could find those of us who suffer from this in an allergic way are actually also suffering food intolerances. I am lactose intolerant, and it was swelling my tonsils when I ate dairy, so I kicked it. When I eat wheat-based or soy products, my ears get worse, and often itchy, and the pressure builds. When I encounter allergens, or chemicals (which I have sensitivity to), bam, my ears get worse. My ENT doctor said to get my tonsils out after years of problems, but I don't think cutting a part of your body out is a positive thing unless it's rotting, causing critical obstruction or is cancerous. I am going to the immunologist to get proper allergy testing done, and then I will find a good naturopath. Remember the body is a whole: If something is failing, it may be because of something else. Research like mad! And don't take the doctor's word as the final one.

Comment from: Mare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have had continuing ear problems my entire life. After many tube insertions in both ears my doctor advised that he can no longer place tubes as there is too much scar tissue now. He suggested a new remedy that is having much success. It is called The Ear Popper. I just got mine today, and it seems to work. It has to be prescribed by your doctor.

Comment from: doda, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

My Eustachian tube was blocked. I think it may have been caused by a blood pressure pill but not for sure. The treatment is to gargle 1/2 ounce of lemon juice 3 times a day. It was cleared in 4 days. This has happened to me 2 times. By the time you contort, whence and whatever it clears the tube. This treatment was suggested to me by my doctor. It works.

Comment from: Dlt48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had a new procedure called eustachian tube dilation, by dr Brian weeks in San Diego. My ears were clicking and crackling, and i had constant pressure in my head. It's gone thanks to this new surgery. It was documented on THE DRS TV show if anyone is interested in seeing the surgery. It truly saved my life. This is a devastating problem that no one can truly understand unless they have it.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

Previously had bad problems with fluttering in ears almost driving me mad. Discovered I had an allergy to dairy products so stopped all milk, cheese etc. It worked a treat with all symptoms disappearing within a short time. The dairy seemed to be causing congestion and blocking the Eustachian tubes. Worth a try.

Comment from: Louise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had severe ET dysfunction for 18 years. Have been to 8 ENT's and nothing has really helped that much. Have had 3 sets of tubes put in and used many nasal sprays and have been on prednisone 4 different times. I have recently heard of a somewhat new operation to correct ET dysfunction called ET Tuboplasty. It is performed by several east coast Doctors and one is in San Diego. Has anyone heard of this surgery or had it done. Would love to have more info on it. Am seriously thinking of calling the Doc in San Diego and making an appointment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment from: CarolineT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

For many years I had a problem with my right ear where it felt blocked and my hearing muffled in that ear. I used to get daily headaches and terrible neck pain. I couldn't unblock my ear by yawning or trying to pop it. I would get it every day at certain times of the year and found it quite distressing. Over the years I saw various doctors, a couple of ENT specialists, an osteo, a couple of physios, and various massage. By chance I went to a Chinese doctor who said that often ear problems are related to the kidneys. He gave me acupuncture and (horrible tasting) Chinese herbs to take after meals twice a day. After a few weeks my headaches had gone and also my dreadful ear condition. I sometimes still have the problem after exercising and find that I can massage my neck to move what feel like muscle knots. I can actually feel something draining at the back of my throat. After years of putting up with this horrible problem, I feel so relieved to be free from it.

Comment from: bells, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I've had ET blockage for 7 years. I went to several doctors but no one know what to do about it. I feel constant pressure and fullness in my ears. Sometimes my left side of the face gets swollen and when my ears "pop" open, the swelling immediately goes away. This has changed my personality and it has brought my life to a stand-still. I'm amazed that in this day and age, the doctors have no idea how to cure this condition.

Comment from: Ashley, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

For the last 2 months every time I play active sport my left ear blocks and the pressure builds. My last tennis game I got a severe headache, ear does not pop. Been to see ENT and on my way for 2nd appointment.

Comment from: Ms.T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have pain in the front of my ear, periodic fullness and constant pressure, the pain radiates up the left side and down the neck area on the left side - this side doesn't pop! I get very sick to my stomach and sometimes feel like I'm on a boat(off balance) inhaled steroids just seem to make it worse my ENT doctor says tubes might be the answer and he "thinks" I have eustachian tube dysfunction. I sure hate to cut a hole in my ear drum when no one is sure.

Comment from: ER, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had three sinus infections within two months, the last one being aggravated by the ear infection, chest congestion, and eye infection. The worst symptoms are gone, after three sessions of antibiotics; however, the fullness and pressure in the ear persist. In addition to the regular treatments I can suggest singing. Even during the warm up before practice or rehearsal the pressure seems to get better. Best wishes!

Comment from: Scpio16, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

For the past few months I've been feeling nonstop pressure in both of my ears, causing tension headaches and a awkward feeling in my ears daily. I had no idea what this could be and when I saw a doctor a 2nd time today he told me it was my ET tubes. He prescribed me steroids, Sudafed and a nasal spray. I am praying to god this will help because the fullness and somewhat pain in my ears is horrid.

Comment from: RN mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My 10 yr old son has had ETD since few months old; Many, Many courses of antibiotics later, he was seen by an ENT at 3 years old. He has since had 2 sets of ear tubes, the second set has been out about 9 months now and the ear infections inevitably returned. I am now asking the ENT doctor about nose sprays, anti-inflammatories, etc. to prevent a third set as he has a lot of scarring from the two sets as well as having a hole in his eardrum that took several weeks to heal but did finally close. Had been hoping that as he grows, the ETD would get better per the docs, but so far no such luck. I am also going to ask next visit about x-rays to make sure no growths or anything of the sort is contributing to the problem as this has not been checked out yet. Tubes are great, but they also do cause a lot of scarring and are normally only temporary solutions.

Comment from: Lu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 75 years of age. I have (vent tubes) in both ears. My problem with non draining Eustachian began in 1994, and having a young up to date ENT has made my ear problems easier to deal with. I still have fluid buildup and infections from the tubes, but now these things are promptly taken care of with Steroidal ear gtts. My tubes are permanent as the Dr. told me if you have a chronic ear drainage problem vent tubes are the best solution. Being a retired nurse has been a benefit to my good health care.

Comment from: junebug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am experiencing my first bout with Eustachian plugging. Went to an ENT who prescribed cortisone nose drops for a few months. I do not like potential side effects. I went to a myofascial release therapist yesterday who did wonders. Very difficult to find these therapists and they usually do not take insurance but well worth it. She told me to pull on the ear lobe top side bottom, pull out and up and at same time move your head up and down very slightly and very slowly. I can feel the pain going through the side into my ear canal when I do it and I do get some relief.

Published: January 21

I have had this problem for years what helped me a lot especially with my balance is to fix my bite. I had braces to fix this and I am 80% much better. Worth trying.

Comment from: Jack2001, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was suffering from a terrible cold and cough. My Eustachian tube became totally blocked after an airplane flight. I had virtually no hearing in that ear, and it was both painful and irritating to say the least. Hours passed with no relief. I then discovered quite accidentally that bending over at the waist with the top of my head towards the ground finally cleared my tube!

Comment from: Floridanone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had a closed eustachian tube for 5 years, nothing has helped. I feel hopeless, surgery cannot be performed the tube is too close to the carotid artery.

Comment from: achy22, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I have suffered now for many weeks with a blocked Eustachian tube. I am a DJ and have had tinnitus in my left ear for years which I have learned to live with, however, my blocked Eustachian tube is hard to bear. I tried a quality brandy to see if this would help. I sipped the brandy and held it in the back of my throat for as long as I could. On the way home in the taxi that night, my hearing returned to near normal and is getting better by the day. Luck or cure? I do not know, but it seemed to work for me.

Comment from: Dlt48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Yes! These symptoms can be connected! I started with a sinus infection, then Eustachian tube problem, then came the weird body inflammation, etc. Fast forward 5 years. I found an amazing doctor doing new surgery for infection and Eustachian tube problems. I was cured of the pain and stench. I was fortunate enough to have my Eustachian tube surgery put on a TV program. My final diagnosis was sjogrens. It explained ALL my symptoms. It's a tough one to link and put together. So many different doctors for all the symptoms. But yes, sinus, Eustachian tube problems, smell, taste, eye problems can be from sjogrens. It's from no mucus/tears. I'm grateful to have an answer, even if the answer is, there is no cure.

Comment from: dw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

My left ear closes predictably during allergy season during midday. Nothing really helps stop the problem, but I can clear the ear by turning my head to the side or upside down. I guess I am in for the long haul.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter