Patient Comments: Esophagitis - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your esophagitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cookiesk9, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed with esophagitis due to GERD (acid reflux) a day before my wedding. I've had troubles with my throat for about 3 to 4 months now and my primary doctor wouldn't treat me for it at all. She gave me pills and said 'take these, you'll be ok'. If I wouldn't have gone to the hospital to get these tests done, I would be on my 5th month with untreated esophagitis. My new doctor has given me hope that I will (eventually) be ok. The damage I did to my body (with unhealthy diets and foods) over the course of 10 years is not going to get fixed in a few months; that I understand but the pain and frustration is huge! Just breathe, you will be ok. Vivera is a probiotic that has helped me immensely. It tastes like oatmeal water. It coats the esophagus and reduces acid reflux. Also, a glass of almond milk works, eating and going for walks, protein shakes (when you're in a rush or when you're in pain, you still have to eat so the shakes are great). Faith, hope, friends, family, and a positive attitude is what we all need to get through this.

Comment from: BlondeGeyes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I chew 2 pieces of gum for about 20 minutes 3 times a day and this includes half hour before bedtime. Gum with bicarbonates is best. (Avoid Cinnamon gum, spearmint, peppermint too even though there are lots of claims that peppermint is soothing for esophagitis it burns me!) This gum chewing increases PH I've read/decreasing acidity levels and really seems to soothe my dry esophagus. Increasing water helps hydrate overall so that's important, but it never seemed to moisten my throat and my sinuses even felt dry making it like harder to breathe. I find when I chew the gum which I am now never without, my throat feel hydrated and soothed. Please be careful of sweeteners in gum. Try a health food store; no aspartame! Other than that, not overeating, no caffeine or tomato products or spicy foods, especially black pepper!

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

For Elle: try taking Pepto-Bismol. It coats the lining of the gastrointestinal tract and will give it a chance to heal. Worth a try.

Comment from: Elle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been experiencing problems for the past 3 months. At first it was a pain in my right side where my gall bladder is located. I had an ultra sound done and it appears normal. When I eat it hurts like it is having a spasm. Then I started developing intolerance to foods, and feeling like I can"t breathe after eating food. I had an endoscopy, several biopsies, and was diagnosed with esophagitis. Biopsies were normal. I was prescribed Prilosec, my stomach is bloated, and hurts all the time. Taking Protonix, now I can"t eat, food is repulsive, I am forcing myself to juice to get vegetables into my body. Meat, out of the question. I feel like I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I can"t sleep, my stomach burns all night, taking liquid analgesic gives me diarrhea and makes my stomach sore. Tried Gaviscon liquid and my hands felt swollen in the am. I am at my wit's end.

Comment from: jane k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been on an ayurvedic diet for 3 months and it has made a huge difference, reducing acidity in my stomach, and inflammation in my throat. I feel in better health all round and have more consistent energy than I have had for a long time. I am now not holding to it strictly but am careful to maintain the principles of eating. Cutting out all breads and processed foods, and reducing the amount of tea and coffee I drink has made a huge difference. It's certainly worth a try!

Comment from: Believe, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I know esophagitis hurts and can be very painful. I have tried everything and found nothing helps.

Comment from: cwlb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I'm a 36-year-old female who started having a lot of problems with my stomach in 2004. I had nausea every day for three years. I had every test possible performed on my stomach, and they found nothing. I knew something was wrong, so I went to an allergy doctor to see if I was allergic to food. I wasn't allergic to food, but I was to everything else! My allergy doctor put me on Periactin and said it would help my "sick" stomach. It did! I also started allergy shots, which I still take. I can tell you that the Periactin does help my stomach and my esophagitis, which acts up when my allergies are bothered. I can only say if you think your problems are stomach-related, but nothing is helping, you may be looking at the wrong problem. Check out the possibility of allergies. I pray that anyone with this problem finds relief!

Comment from: kristiambrose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I am wondering if this is something that will last forever. I just had an endoscopy done today (last night) after having over 20 years of problems with indigestion, heart burn and upset stomachs. In the last 8 weeks I have been vomiting and having nausea non stop. So I finally decided to go to a GI specialist who did an endoscopy on me. Everything looks fine (as per usual). I had a torn section (probably from vomiting) but it is healed up, but I was diagnosed with a definite bout of Esophagitis. I don't really believe/like taking medications. My I doctor gave me Zergrid. Anyway, like every person that gets sick or a disease, they realize all the things they are going to miss out on. Food is a big thing in my life. I have a BA in Culinary Arts, and our whole family loves to cook and eat yummy stuff! At this moment in time I can barely eat anything without either vomiting or getting nausea.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have learned it is important to know all the facts about the medication the doctor puts you on. When going off of a medication I have learned it's important to talk with a doctor. I have been taking Nexium for my Esophagitis. My brother in Law has been on Nexium for a long time and he couldn't afford the medication. As a result of going off the medication he developed an ulcer. He just got hospitalized the other day with an ulcer that almost killed him. I am not saying this might be the case for everyone; it's just good to find out the facts when taking acid reducing medicine.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am suffering from a gastric problem for the last 6 years. Doctors have conducted various tests related to this problem. All the tests are normal except the endoscopy wherein the problem of oesophagitis grande-2 has been observed by doctors. Twice during the clinical tests, the doctors are prescribing antacids to cure this problem. During this process I have lost my appetite and 15 kgs of my body weight.

Comment from: Godmadeustoheal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

My doctor prescribed Omeprazole, 20 mg (generic for Prilosec) two times per day. It is working great! I don't feel any of the discomfort I was having before, and I have only been taking it for 10 days. The course for the treatment is 30 days, and then I will be done with esophagitis forever! By the way, I am also taking antibiotics for a root canal I had done recently. Maybe the combination is helping that, too. Just food for thought!

Comment from: js, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have esophagitis. So far, none of the pills I've been given have been 100% effective. They make me feel really tired. Recently, I have started to have this excess saliva and ulcers in my mouth in the morning. I feel terrible.

Comment from: Esophagus :-), 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I have been diagnosed with esophagitis grade 1 about 5 years ago. Even as recently as 6 months back I had an upper endoscopy done to reconfirm the presence of esophagitis (diagnosed as linear erosions in esophagus). I was on Esomeprazole for a while but did not bother to follow up with my doctor and have been suffering almost on and off from a burning sensation. One of the main reasons for not seeing the doc was that the esomeprazoel stuff was hitting my digestion badly (presumably because of decreased acid production) and giving me lots of nausea. The burning sensation is there on and off, but I have not been able to figure out the triggers. I think smoking, coffee and THINKING A LOT (mental stress) is actually kicking up the acid production. Not sure. But last week I saw an ayurvedic physician and I am on a course now. I am hoping that it will work out for me!

Comment from: vivi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I've been diagnosed with esophagitis due to chemotherapy. All the anti-acid medication I've been given has not helped a bit. I find that by drinking Aloe Vera juice in its pure form, 2 Tbsp. every 3-4 hours help relieve the pain and I also feel that the lining is less inflamed because I can eat some porridge or even soup..

Comment from: SueLee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

The yeast infection of my esophagus occurs after every sinus infection that I have used Bactroban nasal irrigations. Symptoms always improve with Difucan. I have tried probiotics by the truck load with no relief.

Comment from: GJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have a hiatial hernia that causes acid reflux and have been taking Prilosec for 25 years. It works great as long as I take 20mg every morning. Sometimes at night I need to take 75mg of Zantac if I eat after 7pm and am refluxing and unable to sleep. The Zantac seems to boost the Prilosec and I get relief in about 20 minutes after taking the Zantac. It is a magic immediate fix. My doctor told me that this can also be caused by food intolerances or allergies. The Zantac has an antihistamine in it so I am being tested for the food allergies next week. Hope this information is helpful to some out there not finding the relief they need.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I have taken just about every pill there is for my GERD. They work for a while then they quit working. That is where I am right now. I have chest pain not heartburn, so my doctor gave me nitro. It amazes me that this works, but what I would like to know is about using the patches. My doctor mentioned it when I saw her last. I wonder if that is a good idea. I have other issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol; all of them are under control at the moment.

Comment from: momma, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My dad has been dealing with esophageal cancer for two months. I live 2000 miles away, but it seems to me when I visit, that he is dehydrated, and goofy. I am willing to go home and take care of him, but everyone tells me it is okay. He won't tell me what the stage is, but it has gone to his stomach. Will he live to see next year, or am I stupid? It spread to the tummy when he was diagnosed.

Comment from: Spesh, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My Daughter is 2 years old and has allergies to soy, wheat, rice, strawberries, and to nuts (tree nuts - we have to call 911 if she eats or is introduced to them). We had an endoscopy procedure done recently that tested positive for Esophagitis. We are looking for the best effective treatments, doctors or advice. Since our daughter is too young to talk to us, we would like to know what things. If you have Esophagitis makes your throat feel better or helps you get through the day.

Comment from: bethany , 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have just been cured of esophagitis and I had a operation where they take part of your stomach and twist it round your esophagus it has been very effective to me.

Comment from: dogluver, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I've had problems with this now for quite awhile. Began with just the heartburn. Then it has become hard to swallow certain pills and food. I currently am trying Protonix 80mg. once a day. I do think this has been of help in a lot of ways, but I have to take a lot of meds do to my systemic lupus disease. I have a lot of problems taking a large pill. It seems to get stuck as it travels down the throat. Then at times the pill or food will come back up. My diet has been a lot of chocolate, plus a lot of diet coke. I'm changing my diet and hope this will help things out. I've tried a lot of the other medicines for this, but see some improvement with Protonix.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter