Patient Comments: Esophageal Manometry - Side Effects

Did you experience discomfort or other side effects after your esophageal manometry? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Amber, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I got an esophageal manometry yesterday, and I knew it would be bad, but not half as terrible and uncomfortable as it was. I was gagging and spitting up through the whole procedure and the salt water they make you drink is so disgusting it made me puke. My throat is killing me today and my nose has been stuffed ever since. I can honestly say this test was the worst discomfort I have ever felt in my life. Definitely won't be doing that again. If you need to get it done, ask for a suction machine for your saliva it helped me stop spitting up and gagging, and got my mind a little bit off the discomfort I felt.

Comment from: LULU, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had esophageal manometry done yesterday because I will be having surgery for an abnormally large hernia with which 2/3 of my stomach is inside the hole. It sits on my diaphragm and I am miserable. The last thing I needed or wanted was to take this test. I suffer from anxiety as it is and a now realizing that my anxiety is being caused by my condition of not breathing correctly, causes me to panic. Yes, finding the right doctor is the key to everything and I had some really bad ones, I am in the danger zone and had no other choice but to proceed ahead. So I reluctantly went in with no calming pills and did it. It is not pleasant, that is for sure, but I got through it. Yeah, my throat is sore and I am coughing a bit but relieved I did it. Now I am waiting for the surgeon's office to call and schedule me in. If you have to do it just find the best place to do it at; that is the key. My next step is the surgery so I am just waiting for that chapter in my life. Good luck and if you need to do it go ahead, I am the worst for anything and I did it. I want to live.

Comment from: mj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had esophageal manometry test 2 days ago. If I knew how difficult it was, I would never have agreed to it. I have had many medical tests in my life but I would never submit to that again. Not even to proceed with my doctor's diagnosis and surgery decision. I had to have the tube inserted twice since I started gagging and choking. Once it was inserted my reflex was to pull it out, which annoyed the nurse who scolded me that she'd have to recalibrate it again; the hardest part was over and now it had to be reinserted again. Oh my goodness, it felt like there was something huge at the back of my throat and the act of swallowing made me start to gag all over again each time. I had my eyes closed and silently cried through the whole procedure. I don't know how accurate this test can possibly be when I swallowed as shallow as possible just to keep from choking and gagging with each swallow. Injecting salt water (yuck) into my mouth to swallow on command while lying down isn't such a good idea either. I feel this test isn't going to be accurate and I cannot do it again. What a waste of money and torture to myself. I was shaking so much when I left the doctor's office when I got to my car I started crying again. The nurse pulling the tube out fast was just as awful as the insertion. There has to be a better way to measure swallowing function. My throat is still sore and I'm hoarse.

Comment from: Dnasta, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had my second esophageal manometry today. I gagged and spat up through the entire procedure, which was followed by severe sore throat and ear ache.

Comment from: Jenifer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had an esophageal manometry 2 days ago. The nurse pushed the sensor down quickly without any guidance and I couldn't swallow, it felt like I had a ball in my throat along with the tube. I started to vomit uncontrollably and she pulled it out before any results could be collected. Since then, the top of my stomach (I have a hiatal hernia), all up and down my esophagus and the back of my throat and voice box have been sore.

Comment from: Suzanne , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Esophageal manometry was uncomfortable but not the end of the world. I had a sore throat for a day. The worse was the waiting to do it. Go for it, I'm a chicken and I did it. Your life is important, fight to live.

Comment from: Tresadb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had esophageal manometry procedure today. This was the worst thing ever! I would never ever do it again. I gagged and vomited until the nurse said we are stopping because I am not torturing you any longer. It took me about 2 hours to calm down and I do not have anxiety. Now I have a horrible sore throat.

Comment from: SanDiegoTraci, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Esophageal manometry was about the most horrible procedure I have ever had. I gagged profusely the entire time. The nurse tried to calm me down and I tried so hard to calm myself, but it didn't work. Tears were literally flying out of my eyes the whole time.

Comment from: Lovie65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

Nausea was rough after esophageal manometry. I also had an upset stomach and right eye was swollen, same side as the nostril used.

View the Heartburn Foods to Avoid Slideshow
Comment from: Foxi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was on Plavix and asked repeatedly if this would be a problem for esophageal manometry and but it was. They banged a few times in my sinus area and came out. It caused me to bleed profusely and I ended up in ICU for 6 days to make sure they had stopped the bleed. I was packed from the front and from inside the mouth to shut it down. Not fun!

Comment from: davwoodruff, 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 14

During the procedure of esophageal manometry, I had a strong gag response. After the procedure, I had mild sore throat for three days, followed by severe sore throat coupled with cough, congestion and severe sore throat. I believe it is likely that one of the following occurred: 1. Stomach acid was introduced into the larynx during the procedure. 2. I picked up a virus in the hospital that resulted in the cold-like symptoms, severe sore throat, cough, congestion). There was no break in sore throat, went directly from mild to severe. 3. I picked up a cold or flu virus outside the hospital (at work or at home) and that these cold, flu-like symptoms (severe sore throat, cough, congestion) coincidentally immediately followed the mild sore throat from manometry per se.

View the Heartburn Foods to Avoid Slideshow