Patient Comments: Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion

How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: crystalbay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

In 2010, an endoscopy found a 2cm tumor at the junction of my esophagus and stomach (adenocarcinoma) and I was scheduled for the Ivor Lewis surgery 2 weeks later. A friend insisted that I get a second opinion at Mayo in MN. This saved my life because only there was the exacting endoscopic ultrasound done. My PET had shown no lymph node involvement, but the EUS found a tiny hot node on my stomach. As a result, weeks of chemo and radiation were ordered prior to the surgery. I spent nearly four months in the hospital on a feeding tube following the surgery, but eventually recovered. Other than being a tiny size zero as a result, I've had 8 clean PET scans and am now 3 years out.

Cancer 101: Cancer Explained