Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include smoking, heavy alcohol use, Barrett's esophagus, being male and being over age 60. Severe weight loss, vomiting, hoarseness, coughing up blood, painful swallowing, and pain in the throat or back are symptoms. Treatment depends upon the size, location and staging of the cancer and the health of the patient. Read more: Esophageal Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Picture of Esophagus
The esophagus is a muscular tube connecting the throat (pharynx) with the stomach. See a picture of the Esophagus and learn more...
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux)
Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Esophagitis is caused by an infection or irritation of the esophagus. Infections that cause esophagitis include candida yeast...
Esophageal achalasia is a disease of the esophagus that mainly affects young adults. Achalasia makes it difficult to swallow, can...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Cough (Chronic Cough)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Acid backing up into the larynx (voice box) causes reflux laryngitis. Irritation of the lining of the esophagus, larynx, and...
Schatzki (Schatzki's) ring, is a narrow ring of tissue located just above the junction of the esophagus and stomach. The cause of...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow, and how abnormal they look under a...
Asbestos exposure lung disease is divided into three main types: asbestosis (lung scarring caused by asbestos...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs
What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?Post View 41 Comments
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis and Stage
What is your esophageal cancer prognosis? What stage is your esophageal cancer?Post View 26 Comments
Esophageal Cancer - Types
Do you or someone you know have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus? Please share your story.Post View 13 Comments
Esophageal Cancer - Risk Factors
Do you have any of the risk factors for esophageal cancer? What are they, and what are your concerns?Post View 3 Comments
Esophageal Cancer - Diagnosis
What kinds of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of esophageal cancer?Post View 3 Comments
Esophageal Cancer - Treatment
What kinds of treatment, including radiation or chemotherapy, did you receive for esophageal cancer?Post View 2 Comments
Esophageal Cancer - Surgery
Please describe the surgical experience you or someone you know had for esophageal cancer.Post View 2 Comments
Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion
How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?Post View 1 Comment
Esophageal Cancer - Prognosis & Follow-Up Care
What type of follow-up care did you receive for your esophageal cancer?Post View 1 Comment
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Endoscopy (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, EGD)
- Photodynamic Therapy
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Upper GI Series (Barium Swallow)
- Chest X-Ray
- Early Detection of Cancer
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Radiation Therapy
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- Cancer FAQs
- Complementary and Alternative Cancer Treatments
- Weight Gain, Obesity & Cancer Risk
- 10 Cancer Symptoms That Men Ignore
- Very Hot Beverages May Cause Esophageal Cancer
- Ask the Experts - Gastroenterology (GI Testing)
- Esophageal Cancer Linked to Heartburn
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- Chest Pain: Heart, Esophagus, or ?
- GERD Best treatment for Barrett Esophagus?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Gum Disease May Be Linked to Cancer Risk in Older Women
- Another Obesity Downside: Higher Esophageal Cancer Risk
- Can Breath Test Detect Stomach Cancers Earlier?
- Excess Weight Tied to Higher Risk for Many Cancers, Experts Say
- Alcohol, Obesity Could Raise Esophageal Cancer Risk
- HIV Patients Less Likely to Get Treatment for Cancer: Study
- Exercise May Cut Risk of 13 Cancers, Study Suggests
- Doctors Report on Success of Throat Reconstruction
- Poorer Black Patients Have Lower Survival From Esophageal Cancer
- Unusual Capsule Could Help Spot Esophagus Cancer
- Taller People May Have Lower Risk of Esophageal Cancer: Study
- Daily Aspirin May Help Prevent Cancer, Study Shows
- 1 in 10 Deaths Among Adults Tied to Alcohol: CDC
- Osteoporosis Drugs' Long-Term Use Needs More Research: FDA
- Smoking, Drinking Combo Raises Odds for Esophageal Cancer
- Treatment May Prevent Esophagus Condition From Progressing to Cancer
- Overweight Teen Years Tied to Later Cancer Risk
- Exercise May Lower Risk of Esophageal Cancer
- HPV May Also Raise Risk of Throat Cancer
- Scientists Explore How Aspirin May Guard Against Cancer
- Fried Foods May Boost Prostate Cancer Risk, Study Says
- New Guidelines Urge Limiting Endoscopy for GERD
- Avoiding Alcohol May Cut Risk for Esophageal Cancer
- New Clues to How Alcohol May Boost Cancer Risk
- Untreated Heartburn May Raise Risk for Esophageal Cancer, Study Says
- Pre-op Treatments Boost Survival for Esophageal Cancer Patients: Study
- Chronic Heartburn May Boost Risk for Esophageal Cancer
- Screening for Other Health Problems May Aid COPD Survival
- Less-Invasive Surgery for Esophageal Cancer Might Be Safer
- Esophageal Cancer Surgery Can Leave Lingering Health Problems, Study Says
- Smoking May Up Cancer Risk in Barrett's Esophagus Patients
- Blood Test Shows Promise in Spotting Pancreatic Cancers Early
- From Bad to Better: U.S. Cancer Rates Continue to Drop
- Chronic Heartburn a Growing Problem in U.S.
- As Obesity Rises, More Suffer From Acid Reflux
- Men, Women May Experience Acid Reflux Differently
- Barrett's Esophagus May Be Less Risky Than Thought
- Osteoporosis Drugs' Safety Subject of FDA Panel
- Strawberries May Help Prevent Esophageal Cancer
- For Most, Chronic Heartburn Not a Big Risk for Esophageal Cancer
- Aspirin Cuts Death Rate From Several Common Cancers
- Osteoporosis Drugs May Be Linked to Cancer Risk
- No Significant Esophageal Cancer Risk From Osteoporosis Drug: Study
- Obese Kids Have More Reflux Disease
- Cancer Caregivers Share Patient Stresses
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- Cancer Deaths Down Since 'War on Cancer'
- Anticancer Effects of Aspirin: FAQ
- Alzheimer's Drug Might Help Prevent Esophageal Cancer
- New Therapy Spares Organ in Early Esophageal Cancer
- Researchers ID Genetic Markers for Esophageal Cancer
- New Therapy Freezes Out Esophageal Cancers
- Carb Intake, Obesity Tied to Rise in Esophageal Cancers
- 15 Cancer Symptoms Men Ignore
- Cancer Treatment: Getting the Support You Need
- Chemotherapy: Eating Well
- Esophageal Cancer Prevention
- Whole Body Scanning, Do You Really Need One?
- Cancer Pain, A Guide for You and Your Family
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Chemotherapy and Other Cancer Treatment Side Effects
- Cancer Survival - Better & Longer Survival Rates
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter