Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying causes of erectile dysfunction, including stress and emotional problems, brain dysfunction, problems with blood supply to the penis, and structural problems with the penis. Erectile dysfunction is diagnosed by taking the patient's history and physical exam. Blood tests measuring kidney function and blood sugar, cholesterol, hormone, and prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels may be ordered. Urinalysis, ultrasound, and other more sophisticated tests may be required. The treatment of erectile dysfunction depends on the underlying cause. Medications, penile injections, penile implants, and vacuum devices may be used. Treatment for erectile dysfunction is usually successful. The patient should manage heart disease risk factors (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes) as they are related to erectile dysfunction risk. Read more: Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Prostate Cancer Symptoms, PSA Test, Treatments
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. Learn the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer, along with causes and...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Causes and Treatment
Having erection problems? What is erectile dysfunction (ED)? Learn about erectile dysfunction causes and treatments such as drugs...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Quiz: Test Your IQ of Men's Conditions
What are symptoms of low testosterone (low T)? Take this quiz to learn more about causes of low testosterone and how to treat it....
Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence) Quiz: Causes & Treatment
Did you know that certain medical condition may be responsible for ED? Some causes of impotence are medically treatable and...
Picture of Penis
The penis is the male sex organ, reaching its full size during puberty. See a picture of the Penis and learn more about the...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments
What causes low testosterone (low T)? Learn about low testosterone symptoms in men. Discover low testosterone treatment and the...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Men's Health: Dealing With Body Odor, Sweating, Back Hair, & More
Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, gas, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
Healthy Aging: Sneaky Depression Triggers in Pictures
There are many causes and triggers of depression. From too little vitamin B12 to too much time alone, look at these surprising...
Related Disease Conditions
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
Multiple Sclerosis Early Symptoms and Signs (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Liver Disease Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, and Life Expectancy
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases, for example, gallstones, high...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Testicular Pain (Men and Boys: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Peripheral Neuropathy (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment Medications)
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men after skin cancer. Risk factors include age, family history, ethnicity, and...
Low Testosterone (Low T)
Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Prostatitis (Inflammation of the Prostate Gland)
Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland. Signs and symptoms of prostatitis include painful or difficulty urinating,...
Sexual Problems in Men
Male sexual dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological problems. Common sexual problems in men include erectile...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Peyronie's Disease (Curvature of the Penis)
Peyronie's disease or curvature of the penis (Peyronie disease) is a condition in which scar tissue develops inside the penis....
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Diabetic Neuropathy (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment)
Diabetic neuropathy a condition in which nerve damage has occurred as a complication of diabetes. The pain from the nerve...
Prostatitis vs. BPH (Enlarged Prostate) Differences and Similarities
Prostatitis and BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia, enlarged prostate gland) are both conditions of the prostate gland. There...
Atherosclerosis and Erectile Dysfunction
Second Source article from WebMD...
Prostate Cancer: Erectile Dysfunction
Second Source article from The Cleveland Clinic...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)
Prolactinoma is an adenoma (benign tumor) of the pituitary gland. Causes of many prolactinomas are unknown. Symptoms in women...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Penis disorders (male reproductive problems) include priapism, Peyronie's disease, balanitis, phimosis, paraphimosis, and penile...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Enjoying a healthy diet helps to prevent diseases. A good diet also helps to: control celiac disease, control diabetes,...
Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes
Having diabetes can mean early onset and increased severity of bladder symptoms (urinary incontinence and urinary tract...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Vascular disease includes any condition that affects your circulatory system. Vascular disease ranges from diseases of your...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Local ResourcesFind a local Urologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Impotence Erectile Dysfunction FAQs
- Low Testosterone FAQs
- High and Low Testosterone Levels in Men
- Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
- Viagra: The Little Blue Pill That Could
- Viagra - Impotence Treatment Update
- Viagra and Nitrates Don't Mix
- Iron Overload -- Hemochromatosis
- Erectile Dysfunction Drugs: Drug Interactions
- Radio ID Tags For US Drugs (RFID)
- Hypnosis In Medicine
- Can oral diabetes medications cause impotence?
- Male Menopause
- Erection Protection: Is Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Prevention Possible?
- Effective Erectile Dysfunction Treatments: What to Do After an Impotence Diagnosis
- What Causes Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence)?
- Grapefruit Juice and Drug Interactions
- Things You Should Know About the Penis
- Erectile Dysfunction and Weight Loss
Medications & Supplements
- Cialis vs. Viagra
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Viagra (sildenafil)
- tadalafil, Cialis, Adcirca
- Over-the-Counter Products
- testosterone gel (Androgel)
- testosterone undecanoate (Aveed)
- vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn ODT)
- avanafil (Stendra)
- alprostadil suppository - penile, Muse
- yohimbe (pausinystalia yohimbe) - oral
- testosterone - transdermal, Androderm
- testosterone topical solution (Axiron)
- ginseng (eleutherococcus and panax sp.) - oral
Prevention & Wellness
- When Your Partner Has Erectile Dysfunction
- Everyday Medications That Can Ruin Your Sex Life
- Prostate Drug Finasteride Can Safely Lower Cancer Risk, Study Says
- Some E-Cig Liquids Contain Erectile Dysfunction Drugs: FDA
- Guys, Avoid 'Rhino' Sexual Enhancement Products, FDA Says
- Could Impotence Be in Your Genes?
- Viagra Linked to Trouble With Color Vision: Report
- Impotent? Maybe You Should See a Heart Doctor
- Impotence Among Heart Patients Not the Fault of Meds, Study Finds
- Good News, Guys: Viagra Prices Start to Tumble Today
- 'Observation' Best Option for Most Low-Risk Prostate Cancer
- Viagra Might Make for a Safer, More Effective Stent
- What Men Need to Know About ED Drugs and Anesthesia
- Study Refutes Viagra-Melanoma Link
- Bike Fanatics Shouldn't Worry About Effects on Sexual Health
- Shift Work May Put Damper on a Man's Sex Life
- A New Way to Avoid an Embarrassing Male Sexual Problem?
- Study Sees Link Between Porn and Sexual Dysfunction
- It's Yoga to the Rescue for Prostate Cancer Patients
- Impotence Meds Might Give Men's Hearts a Boost, Too
- Hormonal Drug Boosts Survival After Prostate Cancer's Return: Study
- Anxiety May Lead to Unneeded Prostate Cancer Treatments
- For Many Women, Sex Gets Better at Midlife
- Impotence Drugs Won't Raise Melanoma Risk, Study Suggests
- Berries: Big Health Benefits in Small Packages
- Men, Avoid Impotence Drugs Before Surgery
- 'Female Libido' Pill May Not Be Worth It: Researchers
- Testosterone Therapy May Boost Sex Drive in Older Men ...
- Impotence Not an Inevitable Part of Aging
- Can Berries, Citrus Fruits Boost Male Sexual Health?
- Male Sexual Enhancement Supplements Often Ineffective, Possibly Harmful: Study
- Vitamin D Deficiency Might Be Tied to Erectile Dysfunction
- Heart Attack Shouldn't End Your Sex Life
- Impotence Drug May Help Fight Rare Lung Disease: Study
- Impotence Drug Aids Treatment of Rare Lung Disease: Study
- FDA Approves Libido Pill for Women -- With Restrictions
- FDA Approves Addyi, First Drug to Boost Women's Sex Drive
- Impotence Linked to Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Too Few Men With Low-Risk Prostate Cancers Get 'Watch and Wait' Approach
- Viagra, Other ED Meds Won't Raise Melanoma Risk
- FDA Seizes Counterfeit Drugs, Devices Sold Online
- Coffee May Help Men Keep Impotence at Bay
- Impotence Drugs Don't Fix All Sexual Concerns: Study
- Early Heart Disease May Lead to Impotence, Study Says
- Multiple Drug Use Raises Infection Risk for 'Swinging' Couples
- Recalled Supplements Linger on U.S. Store Shelves, Study Finds
- Sleep Apnea Gear Doesn't Squelch Sex Life, Study Says
- Why Aren't There Sex Drugs for Women?
- Impotence Drug Might Counter Common Gene Mutation in Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Illegal Online Meds Targeted in Worldwide Crackdown, FDA Says
- Viagra, Cialis May Help Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Patients
- For Many Men, Impotence Is Treatable Without Drugs
- For Many Older Men, Impotence Is Treatable Without Drugs
- Cialis May Not Prevent Impotence in Men Treated for Prostate Cancer
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Boost a Man's Sex Life: Study
- Erectile Dysfunction Tied to Long-Term Narcotic Use in Men
- Testosterone Supplements May Hurt Male Fertility, Study Finds
- Urologists' Group Issues Updated Guidelines on PSA Test
- Sex Lives Often an Overlooked Casualty of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Viagra, Aliskiren Not Helpful for Heart Failure After All: Studies
- Impotence Drug Cialis Might Have Other Sexual Benefits: Study
- Erectile Dysfunction May Signal Hidden Heart Disease
- Severe Gum Disease May Be Linked to Impotence
- Adding Testosterone to Viagra May Not Help Erectile Dysfunction
- Viagra Can Help Prostate Cancer Patients Maintain Sex Lives: Study
- Genes May Influence Impotence After Prostate Radiation
- Prostate Cancer: Start-and-Stop Hormone Therapy Works
- Wider Waistlines Put Damper on Men's Sex Lives: Study
- Can Recreational ED Drug Use Lead to ED?
- Prostate Cancer Surgery May Not Always Up Survival
- Sleep Apnea Treatment Might Boost Men's Sex Lives
- Severe Gum Disease, Impotence May Be Linked
- FDA Approves New Erectile Dysfunction Drug Stendra
- Warnings on Cigarette Packs May Keep Ex-Smokers From Relapse
- Ultrasound 'Male Lumpectomy' for Prostate Cancer
- Best Prostate Cancer Radiation?
- Baldness Drug May Cause Sexual Side Effects: FDA
- Uncomfortable on Bike? Check Handlebars
- Health Highlights: Feb. 14, 2012
- Sex and the Elderly: STD Risk Often Ignored
- Drug for Enlarged Prostate May Slow Cancer Growth
- Sex OK for Many Heart Patients, Docs Say
- AHA: Sex Safe for Most Heart Patients
- Active Surveillance May Benefit Men With Low-Risk Prostate Cancer
- Nerve Damage May Play a Role in ED
- Taking Many Medications May Raise Risk of ED
- Study: Testosterone May Not Treat ED
- Barrett's Esophagus May Be Less Risky Than Thought
- FDA OKs Impotence Drug Cialis to Treat Enlarged Prostate
- Shorter Course of Radiation May Treat Prostate Cancer
- New Test Predicts Risk for Impotence After Prostate Cancer Therapy
- Lifestyle Changes May Improve Erectile Dysfunction
- 'Explosion' of Sex-Spread Hepatitis C in HIV-Positive Men
- Combination Therapy May Treat Prostate Cancer
- Size Counts When It Comes to Sex
- New Doubts on Value of Prostate Cancer Screening
- New Insight on Weight Gain After Prostate Cancer Therapy
- Sexual Side Effects From Propecia, Avodart May Be Irreversible
- Targeted Radiation May Help Men Avoid Impotence
- E-Cigarette Firms Get FDA Warning
- Diabetes Has an Impact on Sex Life
- 'Female Viagra' Is Rejected by FDA Panel
- Waning Sexual Desire May Be Early Sign of ED
- Dangers Lurk in Impotence Drugs Sold on Web
- ED a Red Flag for Heart Attack, Strokes
- Impotence Drugs May Aid Brain Tumor Treatment
- Survey: Most Baldness Treatments Don't Work
- Statins May Lower Testosterone, Libido
- ED, Heart Disease May Be Deadly Duo
- Treating Non-motor Symptoms of Parkinson's
- New Guidelines for Prostate Cancer Screening
- Generic Drug for Enlarged Prostate Approved
- Erectile Dysfunction Predicts Heart Disease
- Guidelines Urge Use of Erectile Dysfunction Drugs
- Men Who Smoke Prone to Impotence
- Cialis Eases Erectile Dysfunction After Spinal Cord Injury
- Erectile Dysfunction Hits 18 Million
- Sex Drive: How Do Men and Women Compare?
- Life Cycle of a Penis
- Penis Enlargement: Does It Work?
- Erection Problem Checklist
- Male Enhancement: Is It Worth a Try?
- Groin Numbness and Bike Riding
- High Blood Pressure: When Is It Erectile Dysfunction?
- Infertility: Age Raises Infertility Risk in Men, Too
- Erectile Dysfunction: A Womans Point of View
- Impotence Imposes on Relationships
- Impotence May Signal Other Disease
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Quiz
- Erectile Dysfunction Related Depression
- Sexual Health and Fertility in Men
- Smoking in Men
- Dietary Supplement for Sexual Enhancement Warning
- The Truth About Impotence Treatment Claims
- Men and Depression
- Depression in Older Men
- Erectile: The Race to Erection - Levitra vs Viagra
- Cialis For Erectile Dysfunction