Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying causes of erectile dysfunction, including stress and emotional problems, brain dysfunction, problems with blood supply to the penis, and structural problems with the penis. Erectile dysfunction is diagnosed by taking the patient's history and physical exam. Blood tests measuring kidney function and blood sugar, cholesterol, hormone, and prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels may be ordered. Urinalysis, ultrasound, and other more sophisticated tests may be required. The treatment of erectile dysfunction depends on the underlying cause. Medications, penile injections, penile implants, and vacuum devices may be used. Treatment for erectile dysfunction is usually successful. The patient should manage heart disease risk factors (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes) as they are related to erectile dysfunction risk. Read more: Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence) Quiz: Causes & Treatment
Did you know that certain medical condition may be responsible for ED? Some causes of impotence are medically treatable and...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Quiz: Test Your IQ of Men's Conditions
What are symptoms of low testosterone (low T)? Take this quiz to learn more about causes of low testosterone and how to treat it....
Picture of Penis
The penis is the male sex organ, reaching its full size during puberty. See a picture of the Penis and learn more about the...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Causes and Treatment
Having erection problems? What is erectile dysfunction (ED)? Learn about erectile dysfunction causes and treatments such as drugs...
Men's Health: Dealing With Body Odor, Sweating, Back Hair, & More
Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, gas, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get...
Prostate Cancer Symptoms, PSA Test, Treatments
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. Learn the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer, along with causes and...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
Healthy Aging: Sneaky Depression Triggers in Pictures
There are many causes and triggers of depression. From too little vitamin B12 to too much time alone, look at these surprising...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments
What causes low testosterone (low T)? Learn about low testosterone symptoms in men. Discover low testosterone treatment and the...
Related Disease Conditions
Atherosclerosis and Erectile Dysfunction
Second Source article from WebMD...
Prostate Cancer: Erectile Dysfunction
Second Source article from The Cleveland Clinic...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Multiple Sclerosis (MS Symptoms, Causes, and Life Expectancy)
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men after skin cancer. Risk factors include age, family history, ethnicity, and...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)
Prolactinoma is an adenoma (benign tumor) of the pituitary gland. Causes of many prolactinomas are unknown. Symptoms in women...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include: An itchy, runny nose Sneezing Itchy ears, eyes, and...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Enjoying a healthy diet helps to prevent diseases. A good diet also helps to: control celiac disease, control diabetes,...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Peyronie's Disease (Curvature of the Penis)
Peyronie's disease or curvature of the penis (Peyronie disease) is a condition in which scar tissue develops inside the penis....
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Penis disorders (male reproductive problems) include priapism, Peyronie's disease, balanitis, phimosis, paraphimosis, and penile...
Testicular Pain (Pain in the Testicles)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
Sexual Problems in Men
Male sexual dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological problems. Common sexual problems in men include erectile...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Vascular disease includes any condition that affects your circulatory system. Vascular disease ranges from diseases of your...
Diabetic Neuropathy (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment)
Diabetic neuropathy a condition in which nerve damage has occurred as a complication of diabetes. The pain from the nerve...
Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes
Having diabetes can mean early onset and increased severity of bladder symptoms (urinary incontinence and urinary tract...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Low Testosterone (Low T)
Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Prostatitis vs. BPH (Enlarged Prostate) Differences and Similarities
Prostatitis and BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia, enlarged prostate gland) are both conditions of the prostate gland. There...
Erectile Dysfunction - Causes
What causes your erectile dysfunction?Post View 2 Comments
Erectile Dysfunction - Treatment
Have you had treatment for erectile dysfunction? Did it work?Post View 18 Comments
Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence) - Share Your Experience
Please share you or your partner's experience with erectile dysfunction (impotence).Post View 8 Comments
Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence) - Risk Factors
What were your risk factors for erectile dysfunction (impotence)?Post View 2 Comments
Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence) - Surgery
What type of surgery did you or your partner have for erectile dysfunction (impotence)? Was it effective?Post View 4 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Urologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Impotence Erectile Dysfunction FAQs
- Low Testosterone FAQs
- Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
- Male Menopause
- Erection Protection: Is Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Prevention Possible?
- Effective Erectile Dysfunction Treatments: What to Do After an Impotence Diagnosis
- What Causes Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence)?
- Grapefruit Juice and Drug Interactions
- High and Low Testosterone Levels in Men
- Things You Should Know About the Penis
- Viagra: The Little Blue Pill That Could
- Viagra and Nitrates Don't Mix
- Erectile Dysfunction Drugs: Drug Interactions
- Hypnosis In Medicine
- Erectile Dysfunction and Weight Loss
- Viagra - Impotence Treatment Update
- Radio ID Tags For US Drugs (RFID)
- Iron Overload -- Hemochromatosis
Medications & Supplements
- sildenafil, Viagra
- Over-the-Counter Products
- vardenafil, Levitra, Staxyn ODT
- tadalafil, Cialis, Adcirca
- testosterone gel (Androgel)
- testosterone - transdermal, Androderm
- alprostadil suppository - penile, Muse
- testosterone undecanoate (Aveed)
- yohimbe (pausinystalia yohimbe) - oral
- ginseng (eleutherococcus and panax sp.) - oral
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- avanafil, Stendra
- testosterone topical solution (Axiron)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Cialis vs. Viagra
Prevention & Wellness
- Good News, Guys: Viagra Prices Start to Tumble Today
- 'Observation' Best Option for Most Low-Risk Prostate Cancer
- Viagra Might Make for a Safer, More Effective Stent
- What Men Need to Know About ED Drugs and Anesthesia
- Study Refutes Viagra-Melanoma Link
- Bike Fanatics Shouldn't Worry About Effects on Sexual Health
- Shift Work May Put Damper on a Man's Sex Life
- A New Way to Avoid an Embarrassing Male Sexual Problem?
- Study Sees Link Between Porn and Sexual Dysfunction
- It's Yoga to the Rescue for Prostate Cancer Patients
- Impotence Meds Might Give Men's Hearts a Boost, Too
- Hormonal Drug Boosts Survival After Prostate Cancer's Return: Study
- Anxiety May Lead to Unneeded Prostate Cancer Treatments
- For Many Women, Sex Gets Better at Midlife
- Impotence Drugs Won't Raise Melanoma Risk, Study Suggests
- Berries: Big Health Benefits in Small Packages
- Men, Avoid Impotence Drugs Before Surgery
- 'Female Libido' Pill May Not Be Worth It: Researchers
- Testosterone Therapy May Boost Sex Drive in Older Men ...
- Impotence Not an Inevitable Part of Aging
- Can Berries, Citrus Fruits Boost Male Sexual Health?
- Male Sexual Enhancement Supplements Often Ineffective, Possibly Harmful: Study
- Vitamin D Deficiency Might Be Tied to Erectile Dysfunction
- Heart Attack Shouldn't End Your Sex Life
- Impotence Drug May Help Fight Rare Lung Disease: Study
- Impotence Drug Aids Treatment of Rare Lung Disease: Study
- FDA Approves Libido Pill for Women -- With Restrictions
- FDA Approves Addyi, First Drug to Boost Women's Sex Drive
- Impotence Linked to Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Too Few Men With Low-Risk Prostate Cancers Get 'Watch and Wait' Approach
- Viagra, Other ED Meds Won't Raise Melanoma Risk
- FDA Seizes Counterfeit Drugs, Devices Sold Online
- Coffee May Help Men Keep Impotence at Bay
- Impotence Drugs Don't Fix All Sexual Concerns: Study
- Early Heart Disease May Lead to Impotence, Study Says
- Multiple Drug Use Raises Infection Risk for 'Swinging' Couples
- Recalled Supplements Linger on U.S. Store Shelves, Study Finds
- Sleep Apnea Gear Doesn't Squelch Sex Life, Study Says
- Why Aren't There Sex Drugs for Women?
- Impotence Drug Might Counter Common Gene Mutation in Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Illegal Online Meds Targeted in Worldwide Crackdown, FDA Says
- Viagra, Cialis May Help Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Patients
- For Many Men, Impotence Is Treatable Without Drugs
- For Many Older Men, Impotence Is Treatable Without Drugs
- Cialis May Not Prevent Impotence in Men Treated for Prostate Cancer
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Boost a Man's Sex Life: Study
- Erectile Dysfunction Tied to Long-Term Narcotic Use in Men
- Testosterone Supplements May Hurt Male Fertility, Study Finds
- Urologists' Group Issues Updated Guidelines on PSA Test
- Sex Lives Often an Overlooked Casualty of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Viagra, Aliskiren Not Helpful for Heart Failure After All: Studies
- Impotence Drug Cialis Might Have Other Sexual Benefits: Study
- Erectile Dysfunction May Signal Hidden Heart Disease
- Severe Gum Disease May Be Linked to Impotence
- Adding Testosterone to Viagra May Not Help Erectile Dysfunction
- Viagra Can Help Prostate Cancer Patients Maintain Sex Lives: Study
- Genes May Influence Impotence After Prostate Radiation
- Prostate Cancer: Start-and-Stop Hormone Therapy Works
- Wider Waistlines Put Damper on Men's Sex Lives: Study
- Can Recreational ED Drug Use Lead to ED?
- Prostate Cancer Surgery May Not Always Up Survival
- Sleep Apnea Treatment Might Boost Men's Sex Lives
- Severe Gum Disease, Impotence May Be Linked
- FDA Approves New Erectile Dysfunction Drug Stendra
- Warnings on Cigarette Packs May Keep Ex-Smokers From Relapse
- Ultrasound 'Male Lumpectomy' for Prostate Cancer
- Best Prostate Cancer Radiation?
- Baldness Drug May Cause Sexual Side Effects: FDA
- Uncomfortable on Bike? Check Handlebars
- Health Highlights: Feb. 14, 2012
- Sex and the Elderly: STD Risk Often Ignored
- Drug for Enlarged Prostate May Slow Cancer Growth
- Sex OK for Many Heart Patients, Docs Say
- AHA: Sex Safe for Most Heart Patients
- Active Surveillance May Benefit Men With Low-Risk Prostate Cancer
- Nerve Damage May Play a Role in ED
- Taking Many Medications May Raise Risk of ED
- Study: Testosterone May Not Treat ED
- Barrett's Esophagus May Be Less Risky Than Thought
- FDA OKs Impotence Drug Cialis to Treat Enlarged Prostate
- Shorter Course of Radiation May Treat Prostate Cancer
- New Test Predicts Risk for Impotence After Prostate Cancer Therapy
- Lifestyle Changes May Improve Erectile Dysfunction
- 'Explosion' of Sex-Spread Hepatitis C in HIV-Positive Men
- Combination Therapy May Treat Prostate Cancer
- Size Counts When It Comes to Sex
- New Doubts on Value of Prostate Cancer Screening
- New Insight on Weight Gain After Prostate Cancer Therapy
- Sexual Side Effects From Propecia, Avodart May Be Irreversible
- Targeted Radiation May Help Men Avoid Impotence
- E-Cigarette Firms Get FDA Warning
- Diabetes Has an Impact on Sex Life
- 'Female Viagra' Is Rejected by FDA Panel
- Waning Sexual Desire May Be Early Sign of ED
- Dangers Lurk in Impotence Drugs Sold on Web
- ED a Red Flag for Heart Attack, Strokes
- Impotence Drugs May Aid Brain Tumor Treatment
- Survey: Most Baldness Treatments Don't Work
- Statins May Lower Testosterone, Libido
- ED, Heart Disease May Be Deadly Duo
- Treating Non-motor Symptoms of Parkinson's
- New Guidelines for Prostate Cancer Screening
- Generic Drug for Enlarged Prostate Approved
- Erectile Dysfunction Predicts Heart Disease
- Guidelines Urge Use of Erectile Dysfunction Drugs
- Men Who Smoke Prone to Impotence
- Cialis Eases Erectile Dysfunction After Spinal Cord Injury
- Erectile Dysfunction Hits 18 Million
- Sex Drive: How Do Men and Women Compare?
- Life Cycle of a Penis
- Penis Enlargement: Does It Work?
- Erection Problem Checklist
- Male Enhancement: Is It Worth a Try?
- Groin Numbness and Bike Riding
- High Blood Pressure: When Is It Erectile Dysfunction?
- Infertility: Age Raises Infertility Risk in Men, Too
- Erectile Dysfunction: A Womans Point of View
- Impotence Imposes on Relationships
- Impotence May Signal Other Disease
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Quiz
- Erectile Dysfunction Related Depression
- Sexual Health and Fertility in Men
- Smoking in Men
- Dietary Supplement for Sexual Enhancement Warning
- The Truth About Impotence Treatment Claims
- Men and Depression
- Depression in Older Men
- Erectile: The Race to Erection - Levitra vs Viagra
- Cialis For Erectile Dysfunction
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter