Epileptic seizures mostly controlled through drug therapy, particularly anticonvulsant drugs. Types of treatment prescribed depends on several factors including the frequency and severity of the seizures as well as the person's age, overall health and medical history. Other forms of treatment options also exist including ketogenic diet and electrical stimulation. Read more: Epilepsy Treatment Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Epilepsy & Seizures Quiz: What Causes Seizures?
Do you know the difference between seizures and epilepsy? What are the types of seizures? Take the Epilepsy & Seizures Quiz to...
Drug Interactions: Foods, Drugs, Herbs Affecting Medications
What foods, drugs, and herbal supplements interact with your pharmaceuticals? Learn about grapefruit and other common drug...
Related Disease Conditions
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Local ResourcesFind a local Neurologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- phenytoin (Dilantin)
- gabapentin (Neurontin)
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- valproic acid, divalproex, Depakote, Depakote Sprinkle, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Stavzor
- lamotrigine, Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR
- topiramate, Topamax, Qudexy XR, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR
- ethosuximide - oral, Zarontin
- Primidone (Mysoline) Side Effects, Dosage, and Uses
- zonisamide (Zonegran)
- oxcarbazepine suspension - oral, Trileptal
- levetiracetam (Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Spritam) Seizure Drug
- tiagabine - oral, Gabitril
- valproate sodium syrup - oral, Depakene
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Buspar (buspirone)
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Valium (diazepam)
Prevention & Wellness
- More Evidence CBD Can Help Ease a Form of Epilepsy in Kids
- Medical Pot: An Elixir for the Elderly?
- Joking Through Brain Surgery? Seriously?
- 'Mind-Reading' AI Turns Thoughts Into Spoken Words
- First Generic Version of Epilepsy Drug Sabril Approved
- FDA Clears Epilepsy Smartwatch for Use in Kids
- Rough Neighborhood, Worse Epilepsy?
- Sudden Death Risk in Epilepsy Can Wane Over Time
- Benefits of CBD Liquid for Epilepsy May Fade With Time: Study
- Some Types of Epilepsy Pose More Risks During Pregnancy
- DEA Reschedules CBD Drug for Epilepsy
- Internal Body Clocks May Affect Timing of Epileptic Seizures
- Folic Acid Supplements in Pregnancy Help Kids of Women With Epilepsy
- FDA OKs First Drug Containing Marijuana-Derived Ingredient
- Low Dose of CBD Liquid Eases Epilepsy Seizures: Study
- Study Debunks Idea That Epilepsy Can Hamper Fertility
- Fetal Exposure to Epilepsy Drug Tied to Lower School Grades Later
- Pot Compound Alters Levels of Seizure Drug in Epilepsy Patients
- Genetic Testing Can Help Pinpoint Epilepsy Earlier
- Pot Ingredient Might Ease Severe Epilepsy
- Young People With Epilepsy Struggle on Many Fronts
- Study Sees No Link Between Common Epilepsy Drug, Certain Birth Defects
- Marijuana Chemical May Help Prevent Epileptic Seizures in Kids, Young Adults
- Marijuana Chemical Shows Promise for Hard-to-Treat Epilepsy in Kids
- Kids With Epilepsy Face Higher Early Death Risk, Study Reports
- High-Fat, Low-Carb Diet May Help With Tough-to-Treat Epilepsy
- Mom's Epilepsy Drugs Appear Safe in Breast Milk
- When Medical Marijuana Doesn't Work
- Epilepsy Surgery Improves Patients' Lives, Research Finds
- Vigorous Exercise May Lessen Young Men's Risk of Epilepsy
- Surgery Effective for Tough-to-Treat Epilepsy
- Surgery Keeps Many Epilepsy Patients Seizure-Free
- Certain Epilepsy Drugs Linked to Suicide
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter