Patient Comments: Epidural Steroid Injection - Indications

For what condition did you have an epidural steroid injection. What was your experience with the procedure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Daniel S., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I have a significant herniation of my C7-T1 disk which has been causing constant radiating pain from my neck though my right armpit and shoulder and down to my right fingertips. I had an epidural steroid injection performed one week ago and immediately felt near 100 percent relief. The improvement of my symptoms has been incredible. My procedure was performed by a board certified pain medicine specialist / anesthesiologist under fluoroscopy. I am hoping that the effect are long lasting.

Comment from: Dianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a shot in my lower back to relieve pain in my left leg and foot. It took about two weeks to work but so far it has been a success. I have twinges off and on but nothing bad and I can now walk and bend. I actually got on the floor and up on my own without trouble for the first time in years. I did not realize how bad I had gotten over the past year or so. I just hope it lasts longer than a few months.

Comment from: Thill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have 2 herniated discs and annular tears in my lower back in one place. I wanted to do Disc-FX surgery, but it is invasive. I went to a different orthopedic doctor and they decided no surgery but epidural injections. My blood pressure went stroke level for several days and I felt sick after the injection, then the pain came back after a week. I am scheduled for another injection if I get sick again. I am going somewhere else and asking for the invasive surgery, the doctor I see now has never heard of Disc-FX and said I was too young for fusion. I am 48.

Comment from: NC patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I suffered severe neck and shoulder pain for years. I started having epidural steroid injections and received some relief for about a year and a half. I always had sedation with my injections. During a procedure I woke up paralyzed. I was in ICU for a month and inpatient rehabilitation for a month, followed by years of physical and occupational therapy. Five years later I still suffer with neurogenic bladder and bowel, most of my left side of my body from chest to foot is numb, I can't use my left hand and I am in constant pain. This will continue for the rest of my life. My advice is don't do it, it's not worth the risk.

Comment from: Lillyloo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had an epidural injection in L4 and L5. The Injection was extremely painful. I am no better than I was before. I also had a laminectomy and steroid shots in my bursa. Everything a failure. I still cannot walk without a walker. This all started about 4 years ago. I have seen 2 orthopedic surgeons and a pain management doctor for my injection. They want to do another steroid injection in my spine. I am afraid of the pain during the procedure and they will not put you out during the procedure.

Comment from: lannie91, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been having bulging discs at several levels in my neck for over a year now. I had physiotherapy last fall when they put me in traction and it didn't help. I am going to get my first epidural injection this week and am in a new type of therapy. My pain is getting worse daily. I'm tired of not being able to do more physical activity because it makes the pain worse.

Comment from: LadyMystic87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

When I was 24 I herniated my L5 spinal disc and prolapsed my uterus when I gave birth to 2nd baby. When I was 26 I started my epidural steroid injections. I has my 1st in March and it only lasted 2 weeks and I needed my 2nd in April. The shot in April was able to last until July 1st. I have bone damage and sciatica from the herniated disc. I was able to fight through the pain until October 27th when I got my 3rd shot. The shots and physical therapy don't work well for me or last long. My doctor has already told me that I need surgery and has put an order in for it.

Comment from: Twino2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had my first epidural steroid injection in my L4, L5 area on Fourth of July weekend. It started out with pain on my lower right leg. The minute I had the shot I could feel when they hit the nerves. I almost jumped off the table! My pain is 150 times worse. I now have pain in my buttocks, all the way down to where my pain was originally. This has been the worst decision in my whole life. I have constant pain in my buttocks and leg now. Three months later after trying three different anti-seizure medications, and now on oxycodone and Lyrica, I am still not receiving a relief. I even tried three rounds of acupuncture. That did lesson my pain some, but can't afford $300 a week since insurance doesn't cover it. The doctor says it could take up to 6 months for these nerves to heal. The only relief I have is sitting on ice packs or sleeping.

Comment from: happytolive, Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I had epidural steroids for low back pain and pain in my left leg. The steroid they used was Depo Medrol. My doctor told me that it was a safe procedure. After the shot my pain got a lot worse and migrated to the other leg. Then I found out that I had an incurable disease, adhesive arachnoiditis which is a side effect of getting these shots. My pain is 1000 times worse and it is intractable, 24/7 pain and it is really hard to find a doctor to treat me. I would give anything to go back in time and not get these shots which was the worst decision I ever made in my life.

Low Back Pain Relief
Comment from: Meme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an epidural cortisone shot in the lumbar region a week ago. I already feel much less pain. I can stand and walk for longer periods and can even sit for a while. The numbing shots burned, but not for long. I didn"t feel the long needle, though the medicine going in hurt because it caused my leg muscles to cramp. Luckily it was followed by a numbing chaser, so even that didn"t last long. For me, the procedure was very frightening, but it wouldn"t be the second time. I would have done better with a sedative, but I tend to get worked up. That said, I am glad I had it done.

Comment from: RP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had an epidural steroid injection for relief from an L5-S1 herniated disc. I started to notice it working about 7 days after the injection. I think my symptoms lessened by about 50%. The numbness and tingling in my foot and toes almost entirely went away (except while sleeping on my back) and I was able to stand for prolonged periods of time in the kitchen without getting the pain down my hamstring. I was fortunate to get a mild sedation before the injection; so I experienced no pain during the procedure itself.

Comment from: Cat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had epidural steroid injection done in December of 2013. It was extremely painful and unfortunately there was no relief from pain. I am currently debating having same procedure on my lumbar spine but am so afraid of the pain incurred during procedure I think I will cancel, especially because it may not work there either.

Comment from: Washingtondc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have had on going neck and shoulder pain for 5 years. Four to six discs are crushing. A fall in October in which I hit my head on our concrete steps and was hospitalized for 2 days, has increased the pain level and added numbness and tingling to my left arm. Nothing was really helping. I was taking a lot of Vicodin and could not work. About a month ago I got off the heavy pain medications and sought out having the epidural steroid injection. I had one 2 weeks ago. It did help a bit and I am thinking on having one more.

Comment from: swtbitc4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am on round two of having epidural steroid injections on my lower back. I had 3 injections over 6 years ago and got great pain control from them, now 6 years later I seem to be back to square one. But I have chosen to try the injections again because I had so many years of minimal pain from the last set.

Comment from: anon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had to 2 shots of epidural steroid already and I am eighty five percent better. My third shot will be on May 13 and hopefully I will be 100 percent. I was in so much pain and with the shots I can start to do things that I like to do. I am getting physical therapy and doing what the doctor says. Just because you get the shots, you still have to follow doctor's orders. I can now stand and walk pain free.

Comment from: Lillyal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had my first lumbar epidural injection today, and chose to have sedation before the procedure, however the nursing staff didn"t start the IV soon enough and literately started the IV about 2 minutes before the procedure and needless to say, I felt everything and didn"t get any result from the sedation. On my way home I was out so yeah, not too good for me and now 11 hours after I"m experiencing more intense pain than before the procedure. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

When I get an epidural injection I am asked if I want IV sedation which I always opt for. I don"t feel a thing. In the past I have had a doctor hit the nerve and I almost jumped off the table. Ask for IV sedation, you won"t go wrong!

Comment from: Scared, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been having numbing, loss of feeling and tingling in both of my legs for about 1.5 years. Doctors concluded it's due to two pinched nerves in my left and right toes. No medication has eased the pain. On February 26, 2014 I am having the Epidural Steroid Injection, first shot in a series of 3 in the next 6 weeks.

Comment from: Fireofficer 1996, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had epidural steroid injection on Feb 17, 2014. Today the 18th I am feeling a lot less pain. Hope this continues. I had pain for over 10 years from MVA.

Low Back Pain Relief