An epidural steroid injection is a common procedure to treat spinal nerve irritation that causes chronic low back pain and/or leg pain (radicular pain). Disc herniation is also treated with epidural steroid injections. Epidural injections are also used to treat nerve compression in the neck (cervical radiculopathy).The procedure is quick and simple. Read more: Epidural Steroid Injection Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
A pinched nerve causes pain, numbness, or tingling in the affected area due to pressure on a nerve. Caral tunnel and sciatica are...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Radiculopathy, a condition in which a nerve or nerves along the spine are compressed causing pain, numbness, weakenss, and...
Spinal Cord Injury: Treatments and Rehabilitation
When vertebrae are broken or dislocated, the result can cause traumatic injury to the spinal cord. A spinal cord injury can have...
A herniated disc may be caused by injury or degeneration from age. Symptoms depend on the location of the herniation and whether...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Neuropathic pain is a chronic condition that leads to ongoing pain symptoms. Patients can be predisposed to developing...
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar stenosis can be caused by degenerative arthritis (the most common cause), tumor, infection, or metabolic disorders...
The five types of spondylolisthesis include dysplastic, isthmic, degenerative, traumatic, and pathologic. The most common symptom...
Falls or blows are the most common cause of gluteal injuries. Symptoms and signs of a gluteal injury include swelling,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Orthopedic Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Lying Down After an Epidural: A Smart Idea?
- Study Debunks Notion That Epidurals Prolong Labor
- Decrease Seen in Epidural-Related Complications for C-Sections
- Risks From Epidural, Spinal Anesthesia Very Low, Study Says
- Rely on Mom-to-Be When Epidural Is Needed
- Epidural May Beat Patient-Controlled Painkiller for Childbirth, Study Finds
- Combo Treatment Might Beat Epidural to Ease Labor: Study
- Language Barrier Blocks Epidural Use in Childbirth: Study
- Meningitis Toll Now 12 Dead, 137 Sick: CDC
- Up to 13,000 Got Steroid Shots at Center of Meningitis Outbreak: CDC
- Steroid-Related Meningitis Cases Now Total 91, CDC Says
- Epidural Plus Fever in Mom May Raise Risks for Baby
- Experimental Treatment May Help Relieve Back Pain
- Health Tip: Having an Epidural
- Post-Surgical Epidural May Boost Survival
- Epidural During Birth May Negatively Affect Breast-Feeding
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter