Non-polio enteroviruses cause a variety of infections, including aseptic meningitis, hand, foot, and mouth disease, herpangina, and the common cold. Symptoms and signs of enterovirus infection include hypoxia, eye pain, shortness of breath, chest pain, and fever. Treatment of non-polio enterovirus infection involves supportive care that reduces the symptoms and signs, as there are no antiviral medications approved for treatment.Read more: Enterovirus (Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68): Symptoms and Treatment
What is Enterovirus D68? Learn about causes, symptoms and treatment for this deadly strain of EV-D68 virus that has sickened...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Related Disease Conditions
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Encephalitis is a brain inflammation that causes sudden fever, vomiting, headache, light sensitivity, stiff neck and back,...
Pericarditis (Symptoms, ECG, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Coxsackieviruses may be divided into two groups. Type A causes hand, foot, and mouth disease and conjunctivitis, while type B...
Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle and can be caused by a variety of infections, conditions, and viruses....
Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease
Hand, foot, and mouth syndrome is clinical pattern consisting of a rash on the hands and feet, and in the mouth. Hand, foot, and...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
A polio infection causes symptoms and signs such as paralysis, limb deformities, and even death. There is no curative treatment...
Herpangina is a contagious illness often seen in children. It is caused by a Coxsackievirus or an enterovirus. Symptoms and signs...
Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM)
Acute flaccid myelitis (AFM) is a condition that affects the nervous system, causing weakening of the muscles and reflexes....
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Chest Pain
- Chronic Cough
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- Loss of Appetite
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Enterovirus (Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection)
Prevention & Wellness
- Polio-Like Condition in Children on Rise Again in U.S.
- Common Virus May Have Ties to Type 1 Diabetes
- Child Paralysis Cases Spiked During Virus Outbreak: Study
- Enterovirus D68 No Deadlier for Kids Than the Common Cold: Study
- New Gene Test Speeds Diagnosis of Stomach Bug That Strikes Kids
- New Research Tightens Childhood Paralysis-Enterovirus D68 Link
- Future Unclear for Kids Paralyzed After EV-D68 Infection
- Little Improvement in Children Paralyzed After Viral Infection, Study Finds
- Only 1 Child in Paralysis Outbreak Has Recovered
- Ebola, Obamacare Top U.S. Health News for 2014
- Survey Reveals Concerns Over Ebola
- Officials Report First Confirmed Child Death Due to Enterovirus D68
- Docs Offer Advice for Combating Respiratory Virus That's Striking Kids
- 42 States Reporting Respiratory Virus That Targets Kids
- CDC: 4 People With Enterovirus D68 Have Died
- 40 States, District of Columbia Reporting Respiratory Virus That Targets Kids
- Health Officials Investigating Paralysis in Kids With Enterovirus D68
- 29 States, District of Columbia Reporting Respiratory Illness That Targets Kids
- 12 States Now Reporting Severe Respiratory Illness That Targets Kids
- Kids' Severe Respiratory Virus Confirmed in Northeast
- Enterovirus D68: What Parents Need to Know
Cold and Flu Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter