Patient Comments: Enlarged Spleen - Cause

What caused your case of an enlarged spleen? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: colorful, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

MRI shows enlarged spleen. I've had hepatitis C for a very long time and have now had the cure, Harvoni, but I have some cirrhosis of the liver. I have lower left back pain, causing sleep disturbances from pain.

Comment from: Jason, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I have PV (polycythemia vera) cancer. My body makes too much blood and my spleen is 3 times larger than it should be. It is very rare but a bone marrow biopsy is the only way to find out.

Comment from: JoHL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have a history of iron deficiency anemia as a child. I was hemolytic when suffering from the usual children's illnesses like tonsillitis. I had glandular fever at 21. Usual blood tests done at that time but an observant person looking at my tests for iron deficiency realized there were lots of spherocytes present in my blood sample. Hemoglobin was 6. Reticulocyte count was 584. Glandular fever lasted 6 months and symptoms returned 1 year later. My enlarged spleen is a result of congenital spherocytosis (hemolytic anemia). I wasn't diagnosed until I was 25 despite a history of all the relevant symptoms throughout my childhood.

Comment from: SJ86, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My sister is 27 going on 28, she was recently admitted to the hospital because she had a really bad headache and stiff neck. She has had CT scan on head and whole body, and they noticed her spleen is a bit larger than normal, besides lymph nodes in stomach and neck being swollen. Her white blood cell count was low they said red cells and platelets were normal. She keep getting a fever on and off and she had bone marrow and biopsy on her neck (lymph nodes) to see what was going on. They have mentioned looking into infection/virus along with checking her for cancer. I'm hoping it is not cancer.

Comment from: luckydoged, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I am 53 years old and have fatty liver and enlarged spleen (14.1 cm). The total bilirubin is 2.2, AST 16 and ALT 17. I have been taken milk thistle.

Comment from: RA07121966, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I have suffered with jaundice 4 times in my 49 years. Last time when I went to doctor he asked me to go for blood test and abdomen scan. He found that my spleen had become larger in size and advised me to take tablets Udiliv 300 AND Evion 400. Also I am taking 3 balls of Phyllanthus early in the morning. I stopped alcohol totally. Now bilirubin declined from 7.4 TO 1.3 within 15 days. This is my suggestion to my friends, stop alcohol and please take Phyllanthus when you have liver and spleen related disease.

Comment from: Spleeno, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I have an enlarged spleen for 4 months. Many doctors can't figure out why. It's very painful in the left side and upper abdomen. I have had bladder and urinary pain too, but all tests are normal. I feel like I'm dying.

Comment from: Toy Story, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I have portal hypertension and an enlarged spleen due to treatment for cancer when I was young. I have low counts on all my blood results. It makes me feel tired, I am prone to infection, and feel generally unwell.

Comment from: Mr. K, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

Crohn's disease, Type 2 Diabetic, Liver Transplant recipient, appendix and Gall Bladder removed. Enlarge Spleen, anemic, loss of appetite resulting in 30 pound loss in the last 2 months. Occasional night Sweats.

Comment from: Painful & Lethargic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My enlarged spleen is the result of a mononucleosis (Epstein Barr) infection. I am 29 years old, and was unaware that mono was such a threat to people outside of their teens and early twenties. I currently work in the medical field and suspect that I acquired the virus as a result of my occupation. I have not been drinking after others or kissing! Hoping my spleen (and energy level) returns to normal soon!

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

My spleen is enlarged due to Typhi H infection. I have a very low level of energy all day. The symptoms are painful and indescribable.

woman with abdominal pain
Comment from: kiwisrock, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 07

My enlarged spleen is the result of cirrhosis of the liver which has occurred from the pain medicines I take for a shoulder injury I got at work 4 years ago. My spleen measures roughly 21cm, and with that and my enlarged liver, I look about 9 months pregnant, I have to lose weight and hopefully that will reverse some of the symptoms.

Comment from: worrying_sister, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My brother has been admitted into the hospital last week because his body temperature was kept increased after 3 days. They made an ultrasound and MRI scan and found this splenomegaly. They took the blood test and did not find anything abnormal with the blood cells. He's now transferred to another hospital for a second opinion. I live abroad, so I can't see how he's doing. My mum told me that his temperature went down after he took the medicine but increase again afterwards. Does anybody experience this? Thanks a lot.

Comment from: Sheehan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

My spleen is enlarged, I've lost weight, and have a high white blood cell count. My doctor suspects it is because of an infection, but I am very concerned.

Comment from: dan1836, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I fell on a table corner and my spleen became enlarged the next day. I lived with it for more than 20 years and now I'm starting to have pain. My doctor doesn't think it's from the trauma, but I'm 100% sure it is. I'm 58 years old and my blood count is fine. I just don't know what to do. I'm losing weight.

Comment from: Careless, 75 or over Male Published: June 03

I believe that damage to my spleen occurred as the result of a forward fall on a stair when the lower left side of my body impacted the nose of the stair tread. It was very painful.

Comment from: SPEEN ENLARGED, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 24

My daughter is 4 years old. She was having stomach pain from last 1 year and she does. She had sonography on 23.08.10 and report shows that SPLEEN IS ENLARGED, but size is not mentioned. She does not eat regular food and last week she had fever 2 and 3 times in one day. Paracetimol syrup is given to her for fever, doctor say she should be admitted in hospital.

woman with abdominal pain