Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), also known as an enlarged prostate, is a condition in which the prostate gland becomes abnormally enlarged in men. BPH is very common, especially as men get older. The enlarged prostate may not cause symptoms. When symptoms do develop, these most often begin after the age of 50. BPH is not the same as prostate cancer.
Signs and symptoms associated with BPH include
- leaking or dribbling after urination,
- excessive urination at night,
- frequent urination,
- have a sense of incomplete bladder emptying after urination, and
- a weak urinary stream.
Other associated symptoms and signs of an enlarged prostate can include urinary incontinence or sexual dysfunction. Sometimes, a small amount of blood may be present in the urine.
Cause of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
Doctors do not understand the exact cause of BPH.
Other enlarged prostate symptoms and signs
- Blood in the Urine (Hematuria)
- Excessive Urination at Night
- Frequent Urination
- Have a Sense of Incomplete Bladder Emptying After Urination
- Leaking or Dribbling After Urination
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Urinary Incontinence
- Weak Urinary Stream
Main Article on Enlarged Prostate Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (Enlarged Prostate) Quiz
Take the Enlarge Prostate Quiz and challenge your knowledge of prostate problems. Learn causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
Enlarged Prostate (BPH) Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) is a condition cause by an enlarged prostate. Get more information on how an enlarged prostate...
Examples of Medications for Enlarged Prostate Symptoms and Signs
- alfuzosin (Uroxatral)
- doxazosin mesylate (Cardura)
- dutasteride (Avodart)
- finasteride (Proscar)
- Flomax (tamsulosin)
- Jalyn (dutasteride and tamsulosin hydrochloride)
- mirabegron (Myrbetriq)
- Orgovyx (relugolix)
- oxybutynin (Ditropan, Oxytrol, Anturol, Gelnique)
- Rapaflo (silodosin)
- tadalafil, Cialis, Adcirca
- terazosin (Hytrin)
- tolterodine (Detrol)
- trospium - oral, Sanctura
- Vantas (histrelin acetate)