enfuvirtide, T-20 (Fuzeon)
Type of Drug: Fusion Inhibitor
Fusion inhibitors work by stopping the HIV virus from getting into your body's healthy cells in the first place.
Approved adult dosing
90 mg (in 1 mL solution) injection
one injection under the skin, two times a day
Notes on taking this medication
- One vial contains a white powder, which is the medication (Fuzeon); another vial contains sterile water; withdraw the water with a syringe and mix into the vial with the Fuzeon
- You can prepare both doses at the same time, but should store the second vial in a refrigerator for use later on the same day
- Keep uncapped vial tops, syringes, and your hands clean while preparing Fuzeon
- Draw Fuzeon solution into the syringe only when you are ready to inject
- Rotate injection sites for each injection
- Never inject Fuzeon into a vein or muscle
- At injection site: redness; pain or tenderness; swelling; bumps; hardening of skin
- Very rare serious allergic reactions: symptoms include trouble breathing; fever with vomiting and rash; swollen feet
Quick GuideHIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
Fuzeon (enfuvirtide, T-20) is a fusion inhibitor injection medication prescribed for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Side effects, drug interactions, warnings and precautions, and patient information should be reviewed prior to taking any medication.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Daily Health News
Resources for Staying Well
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Top enfuvirtide, T-20 Related Articles
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci, tuberculosis, toxoplasmosis, seizures, weakness, meningitis, yeast infection of the esophagus, and Kaposi's sarcoma. Anti-retroviral therapy (HAART) is used in the treatment of AIDS.
HIV/AIDS QuizNow, more than ever, you should know about HIV/AIDS, especially its causes, symptoms treatments, and complications. Take the HIV/AIDS Quiz now!
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs of HIV infection include fatigue, enlarged lymph glands, and recurrent vaginal yeast infections. Highly active antiretroviral therapy (ART) is the standard treatment for HIV infection.