Patient Comments: Endometriosis - Diagnosis

Describe tests or exams that led to a diagnosis of endometriosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: KLS390, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I was diagnosed with endometriosis through laparoscopic surgery. They were originally just going in to remove a large cyst on my ovary that had ruptured, and while in there, they discovered lots of scarring from endometriosis. I've always had terrible cramping, lower back pain, diarrhea, and heavy bleeding during my periods (since age 13). Previously I was just told to take more painkillers. Obviously this diagnosis makes a lot of sense to me now, but unfortunately it wasn't until they were performing the surgery that they discovered it at age 27.

Comment from: heartbrokenmum, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

Endometriosis began when my daughter started her period at 13 years old. Since then she has had debilitating pain. I had to go back and forth with several different obstetricians/gynecologists in order to finally get the laparoscopy at age 17, saying 'she was too young and anyway there is a 50/50 chance she doesnt even have it. Well, I thought, so she had 50 percent chance of having it! They tried to talk her out of it, scaring her with all kinds of things, but since I am her mother and she was a minor at the time, I pushed for it! And guess what! It was determined that she has it, after surgery. She had relief for 1 week exactly before I had to rush her to the emergency room. All the medications they have given don't work. Even though under any other circumstance I wouldn't want her to take any narcotics, her pain level is at 10 on a daily basis, but they won't give it to her. It really hurts to see your child going through this much pain in her young life, I can't understand why they won't give her pain medicines! She's scheduled to have a colonoscopy very soon, to see if they can find out why she's in so much pain every day.

Comment from: txgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My endometriosis was found after doing a HSG (hysterosalpingogram) test to help with infertility issues. We have been trying to get pregnant for a full year with no luck. It's been highly frustrating. Scarring was found along with this diagnosis. My age is 28.

Comment from: KEN, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

My endometriosis was diagnosed through laparoscopic surgery. An X-ray revealed that one of my tubes might be blocked, so my OB / Gyn decided to do a laparoscopy, as I want to have children. This surgery revealed that it was endometriosis.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter