Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines, and on the surface lining of the pelvic cavity. They also can be found in the vagina, cervix, and bladder. Endometriosis may not produce any symptoms, but when it does the most common symptom is pelvic pain that worsens just prior to menstruation and improves at the end of the menstrual period. Other symptoms of endometriosis include pain during sex, pain with pelvic examinations, cramping or pain during bowel movements or urination, and infertility.
Treatment of endometriosis can be with medication or surgery.Read more: Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Endometriosis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Endometriosis is a common gynecological condition. Take this quiz to learn what happens when a woman has endometriosis as well as...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
Endometriosis Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
What is endometriosis? Endometriosis is an abnormal growth of endometrial cells like those found in a woman's uterus. Learn about...
Related Disease Conditions
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Menstrual cramps (pain in the belly and pelvic area) are experienced by women as a result of menses. Menstrual cramps are not the...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Sexual Problems (Sex) in Women
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem that arises during any phase of the sexual response cycle, preventing an individual or...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- medroxyprogesterone - oral, Provera
- nafarelin acetate spray - nasal, Synarel
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- nafarelin, Synarel
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- medroxyprogesterone, Provera, Depo-Provera, Depo-Sub Q Provera 104
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- letrozole, Femara
- leuprolide, (Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot-Ped, Eligard)
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- anastrozole (Arimidex)
- piperacillin and tazobactam (Zosyn)
- norethindrone (oral - Camila, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Nor QD, Nora-BE, Ortho Micronor, Incassia)
- progesterone - intramuscular
- danazol - oral, Danocrine
- norgestrel (contraceptive) - oral, Ovrette
- norethindrone (Aygestin)
Prevention & Wellness
- FDA Approves New Drug for Endometriosis Pain
- Are You Ignoring Endometriosis?
- Breast-Feeding Linked to Lower Endometriosis Risk
- 'Menstrual Cycle in a Dish' Explores Intricacies of Female Body
- 'The Pill' May Raise Depression Risk
- Endometriosis Linked to Heart Disease in Study
- Are Women the Key to Unlocking Alzheimer's?
- Women's Pelvic Pain Often Unreported
- Female Hormone Disorder Linked to Numerous Health Conditions
- Exposure To Common Chemical May Raise Risk of Preemie Delivery: Study
- Two Pesticides Tied to Higher Risk of Gynecological Disorder
- Sharp Rise Seen in Robotically Assisted Hysterectomies
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Endometriosis?
- Low-Cal Diets Kept Monkeys Healthier, But Didn't Lengthen Lives
- Under Right Conditions, Fertility Treatment Can Equal Natural Conception Rates: Study
- Early Study Hints at Link Between Certain Sunscreens, Endometriosis
- Sunscreen Ingredient Linked to Endometriosis
- Is Combining Hysterectomy and a Tummy Tuck Safe?
- Endometriosis Could Raise Risk of 3 Ovarian Cancers
- Caffeine May Alter Women's Estrogen Levels
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- Health Tip: Does My Pain Mean Endometriosis?
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Ectopic Pregnancy
- Antibody Could Help Predict Ovarian Cancer