Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines, and on the surface lining of the pelvic cavity. They also can be found in the vagina, cervix, and bladder. Endometriosis may not produce any symptoms, but when it does the most common symptom is pelvic pain that worsens just prior to menstruation and improves at the end of the menstrual period. Other symptoms of endometriosis include pain during sex, pain with pelvic examinations, cramping or pain during bowel movements or urination, and infertility.
Treatment of endometriosis can be with medication or surgery.Read more: Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
Endometriosis Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
What is endometriosis? Endometriosis is an abnormal growth of endometrial cells like those found in a woman's uterus. Learn about...
What Are Uterine Fibroids? Symptoms, Treatment, Pictures
What are uterine fibroids? Who gets uterine fibroids, and how can you prevent them? Learn about uterine fibroid treatments, from...
Endometriosis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Endometriosis is a common gynecological condition. Take this quiz to learn what happens when a woman has endometriosis as well as...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Related Disease Conditions
Ovarian Cysts (Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment)
Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled, sac-like structures within an ovary. Symptoms of an ovarian cysts may be: Pain in the belly...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the womb (uterus). Most uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms; however, if...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Spotting vs. Period (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Menstruation (a female's "period") occurs due to the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Menstrual bleeding lasts about...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Premature Menopause (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Premature menopause is when menopause occurs in a woman before the age of 40. Causes of premature menopause include premature...
Menstrual cramps (pain in the belly and pelvic area) are experienced by women as a result of menses. Menstrual cramps are not the...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Sexual Problems (Sex) in Women
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem that arises during any phase of the sexual response cycle, preventing an individual or...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- medroxyprogesterone - oral, Provera
- nafarelin acetate spray - nasal, Synarel
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- letrozole, Femara
- piperacillin and tazobactam (Zosyn)
- danazol - oral, Danocrine
- norethindrone (oral - Camila, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Nor QD, Nora-BE, Ortho Micronor, Incassia)
- anastrozole (Arimidex)
- leuprolide, (Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot-Ped, Eligard)
- norethindrone (Aygestin)
- medroxyprogesterone, Provera, Depo-Provera, Depo-Sub Q Provera 104
- norgestrel (contraceptive) - oral, Ovrette
- progesterone - intramuscular
- nafarelin, Synarel
Prevention & Wellness
- Breast-Feeding Linked to Lower Endometriosis Risk
- 'Menstrual Cycle in a Dish' Explores Intricacies of Female Body
- 'The Pill' May Raise Depression Risk
- Endometriosis Linked to Heart Disease in Study
- Are Women the Key to Unlocking Alzheimer's?
- Women's Pelvic Pain Often Unreported
- Female Hormone Disorder Linked to Numerous Health Conditions
- Exposure To Common Chemical May Raise Risk of Preemie Delivery: Study
- Two Pesticides Tied to Higher Risk of Gynecological Disorder
- Sharp Rise Seen in Robotically Assisted Hysterectomies
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Endometriosis?
- Low-Cal Diets Kept Monkeys Healthier, But Didn't Lengthen Lives
- Under Right Conditions, Fertility Treatment Can Equal Natural Conception Rates: Study
- Early Study Hints at Link Between Certain Sunscreens, Endometriosis
- Sunscreen Ingredient Linked to Endometriosis
- Is Combining Hysterectomy and a Tummy Tuck Safe?
- Endometriosis Could Raise Risk of 3 Ovarian Cancers
- Caffeine May Alter Women's Estrogen Levels
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- Health Tip: Does My Pain Mean Endometriosis?
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Ectopic Pregnancy
- Antibody Could Help Predict Ovarian Cancer
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter