Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Blakea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had endometrial ablation on 8/16/2017. The first night, I had severe vomiting and cramps. I received the yellowish clear discharge that lasted for several weeks. The 3rd cycle should give me an indication as to what my regular cycles would be. Over a year later, I have light spotting but I am always cramping. Not unbearable. I have lower back aches that become more intense with the onset of my cycle. No regrets. I don't have to wear anything more than a panty liner.

Comment from: Cy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation over 10 years ago. I had no side effects and felt great. The next day I had a little bit of spotting. Never got another period. I am so happy I had it done.

Comment from: Nt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had endometrial ablation for fibroid removal, and D and C on 10/17. I had yellowish discharge for 2 weeks and light cramping. No foul odor but at times smelt similar to start/end of period. After 2 weeks my period was due. The discharge turned pink and heavier. That stopped after a few days and I still have some clear/yellow discharge 1 or 2 times daily. Enough to put on a liner. I should have my period right now and I do not, nor did I get the pink spotting as I did last month. My breasts did get sore. I will continue to monitor.

Comment from: Robin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had my endometrial ablation done 2-13-18 and everything went great. No more heavy periods or the cramps that went with it. Then in July I started cramping badly. As the months passed they progressively got worse. I landed in the emergency room this month with death pains. I go to the doctor in 10 days, worried if I might have to have a hysterectomy… I'm 43.

Comment from: Cc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I had an endometrial ablation, tubes removed and intrauterine device removed as well. What was supposed to take 45 minutes ended up with 4 hours in the operation room. This was on 9/26/18 and everything went well. It is 2 months now and I have my period for the second time! I know my bleeding is heavy, and pain is the same; it seems like I had all this for nothing. I still have discomfort due to the fact the doctor opened part of my C-section unnecessarily (due to something else). Warning... I can't enjoy sex or work well. Waiting on feeling better.

Comment from: Whenwillitend, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had an endometrial ablation on 8th June 2018 to treat heavy periods. My period arrived bang on time. It was as though nothing had been done and I was so disappointed. It has been six months and nothing has changed. My gynecologist wants me to 'wait a bit' because menopause is near. I have been hearing this for 5 years. I am almost 55 and absolutely no sign of menopause. I am his oldest patient who still has regular periods. I sked for a hysterectomy. I don't want to spend a whole decade like this.

Comment from: Love, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had my endometrial ablation 11/2016. I had pain for a year and my periods never stopped. They're not as heavy but the number of days is still the same. If I could do it over I would never elect to change my body in any way.

Comment from: La Tejana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had Minerva endometrial ablation on 11-19-18. Everything went well, I woke up, was ready to go, had some cramping lower back pain, and feel fine now. Today Saturday the 24th I was sitting up and felt like I needed to change my pad like I was bleeding but it was light, watery pink color. I am freaking out. I am hoping it is normal. I feel like it is urine, but I don't know. I wonder if anyone has had the same symptoms.

Comment from: Cher68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a D and C, Minerva endometrial ablation and a fibroid was almost completely shaved off. After the procedure I was groggy and had some cramps. They gave me 800 mg of ibuprofen and I also took that the next day but that was due to a splitting headache. I had watery blood and have changed my pad the past few days. It is day 3 and it has slowed down very much. I hope to be one of the lucky ones to have all bleeding stopped. I was spotting every day since May because of the fibroid. My periods were heavy.

Comment from: jeannine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have had spotty bleeding since I had my procedure in August 2018. No big deal, but my discharge has changed. It is strong and irritating. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have just had endometrial ablation done 14/11/18. The surgery went well and didn't have any cramping or any pain, until the next day when I just got a sore lower back pain. I'm due for a period tomorrow so we wait to see what happens. I also had a Mirena put in as well.

Comment from: Gemma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had endometrial ablation on the 25th October and the second week in I had severe depression. I've had watery discharge from the operation ever since with blood, continuously for three weeks. I had an infection and now I'm having normal period pains as like before and the headache on the left side hasn't left me, not including the continuous sickness feeling; and the anti-sickness tablets are making me dizzy and unbalanced.

Comment from: Kiwichick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had an endometrial ablation 26th October 2018. It was a simple procedure and I had only mild cramping the following day. I had 2 weeks of different kinds of discharge, some of which may have been tissue/water/blood. Then it almost stopped and was followed by fresh blood. So gutted! I think my period showed up bang on cycle. I had hoped to be one of those that never had another period, or it was so light it was defined more as spotting. It's not a raging torrent like it was, but more normal.

Comment from: Synyster Syren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation done 10/19/18, here it is November 12th and I am still experiencing extreme pain that feels like contractions. Most of the pain is in my left ovary and in my lower back (same side). I have had 2 periods in 2 weeks, bleeding started light but now is getting heavier. I'm always nauseous, and I always feel full (which is probably why I'm nauseous). I'm miserable with all of this bleeding. I want it to go away.

Comment from: Nomoreperiods, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I just had the Minerva endometrial ablation done on 11/1/18. I had cramping in my abdomen lasting just a few hours, but since I woke up from anesthesia I've had really bad pain in my lower back. I haven't had any bleeding just a watery discharge. I wonder if anyone else has experienced back pain like this. It hurts to sit up for very long and walk.

Comment from: Atoshia , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had my NovaSure endometrial ablation on 10-26-18. I'm 4 days out and I have milky discharge. I have been cramping in the evening and night time but nothing during the day. I am looking forward to little or no periods. I'm hoping this helped.

Comment from: Brandi Garcia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done in July of 2017! The reason I chose this procedure was because my bleeding was so horrendous. I was fine the day after, the week after, and even months after. I slowly started feeling severe cramps, I wouldn't even say they were cramps, they felt like contractions, and every month for the last 5 months I've ended up in the emergency room. The cramps are that bad! I've had to be hooked up to an IV and they give me fluids, and then a pain medication. I recommend not to do it.

Comment from: Shawanna , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My side effects of endometrial ablation were a real bad pain and cramps that left me going back and forth to the hospital and was making my blood pressure sky rocket. It wouldn't stop so I had to have surgery and the ablation caused me to have two major surgeries.

Comment from: Slcphd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation on 10/23/18 and have had only moderate cramping these 5 days - taking only Aleve/Advil. No bleeding. I am however very fatigued. I know my body is healing but I'm hoping this exhaustion passes soon. Fingers crossed. So far so good though.

Comment from: Mindy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had an endometrial ablation done on July 31. I hurt for two weeks and like clockwork my period returned full force with heavy bleeding, cramps, and clots. When I'm on my period, I can't go anywhere because I'm overflowing my tampon and pad every hour and a half. The ablation didn't work for me.

Comment from: Pamela79, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

On 9/12/18 I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation surgery and was ok for the first 2 weeks. Until one morning I woke up to very sharp pain which felt like labor. I didn't know what really was going on and later I had a period. I was so mad because my gynecologist told me that I wouldn't never have another period and on top of it too I had pain. So now he has suggested hysterectomy. I am still to take out my uterus, I just wish he had done that the first time. This surgery wasn't for me.

Comment from: Cynbel02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had my NovaSure endometrial ablation on 10/18/18. I elected to have this procedure because of my severe menstrual cramping, heavy bleeding with clots, and long periods (15 days maximum). Cramps became unbearable. I am about 8 hours post ablation and I am experiencing severe abdominal cramping. I hope this subsides. Will post here with update. Wonder if anyone else experienced painful post-cramping.

Comment from: Lori K, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure about a month ago. I felt light cramping immediately after the procedure and most of the next day. I spotted pink for about a week, then clear/yellowish for about 2 weeks; nothing more than a liner could handle. I had fresh blood for a couple of days, again nothing more than a light liner. I'm guessing this was my new, very light period. I haven't gained any weight or had any pain or discomfort. I'm so glad I did the procedure (despite the horror stories I read).

Comment from: KJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had my endometrial ablation done on 09/12 and I have been spotting since. Today is heavier than other days. My obstetrician mentioned to me that I would still have some symptoms as a period or said my bleeding would be lighter. I don't know if this is a period or part of the procedure. My obstetrician said the body takes 6 weeks to heal so that will be on 10/24, and hopefully all of this will be done by then. Hang in there, I am with you.

Comment from: Keke03, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had an endometrial ablation on September 24. First 2 days were rough due to horrible cramping. From the 3rd day up until a week later I had mild to no bleeding. Once that stopped it's been a constant watery discharge with a foul odor. Now it's been 3 weeks and all of a sudden today I have pain down there. Mind you, I still also have the foul odor. I hope this will go away. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment from: 47 SoCal female , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had my endometrial ablation 9/11 and today is 10/6. I started bleeding a few days after the procedure and now it's really heavy with no end in sight. So I have been bleeding nonstop for about 3 weeks and now it's worse than my periods. I don't see anyone with similar issues but I think this procedure is a giant fail for me. No one knows what's causing the heavy bleeding but it's bad. This is awful.

Comment from: Robin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had my endometrial ablation in February 2018. I was a good candidate since I didn't want any more kids and my tubes are tied. I had watery discharge for about 3 weeks. I haven't had a period since, but I'm experiencing cramping like I've never had before, headaches are just awful, and the backaches don't help either. I've got a doctor's appointment in a day or so to see if there's anything else going on.

Comment from: KTP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

It's been 3 weeks since my first endometrial ablation surgery. Week 1 was as if I had no period. Week 2, I had watery blood with a foul odor. Week 3, bright red blood and clotting. No fever, no pain. I am not looking forward to a week 4.

Comment from: DougiesGurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

When I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure done I felt like myself again! I have noticed some dryness, but I talked about this with my husband and he understands that! My 1st period was very light and only lasted 3 days. However the 2nd period was a little heavier and hung around for a while. It stopped and started every other day for 8 days! I am having pain 2 months later and it is not pleasant. My mood swings are finally in check! I just hope there isn't something wrong with me. Calling my doctor today!

Comment from: Michelle , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Day 11 after NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure I have no energy! I wonder what about this procedure causes me to have no energy. That's the question I have now. The pink watery discharge has stopped. And I look forward to having little to no periods. I would like to know when my energy level will return.

Comment from: Jones, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

After my endometrial ablation I have been having vaginal dryness and increased incidence of urinary tract infections and thrush infections.

Comment from: MiamiPatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had my NovaSure endometrial ablation in August 2018. I was admitted to the hospital for surgery. My anesthesia cocktail was mixed for pain and nausea. My doctor was excellent. I also had my tubes removed. No pain immediately after surgery and no pain 3 weeks later. The incisions for tubal removal were tiny, so no scarring on skin. Three weeks later I am still having a watery, bloody period. I am hoping this stops soon. I hope to never have a period again.

Comment from: Not sure yet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I felt terrific day 1 after endometrial ablation with light bleeding. On day 2 I started getting such bad cramping that I was keeled over and barely able to walk. The pain was worse on left side. I'm very thin but looked really bloated in my mid-section. I also got a high fever suggesting an infection so I went to the emergency room at the hospital. They could not figure out what was wrong so gave me antibiotics. I'm a bit better than yesterday, now day 3. Fingers crossed. I really did not expect this.

Comment from: Uk patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I had the endometrial ablation in February 2018, with watery almost orange discharge for a few weeks after. Six months down the line and I'm starting to get blood again each month (although not of the kind which I'd experienced before, like the heavy clots). I have also experienced extremely painful cramps again. Not sure if this is related but after reading other reviews it maybe. Also in the last 3 or 4 months I've had bloating and sever constipation. I even had a colonoscopy to check my bowels were okay.

Comment from: HSM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

My experience is vaginal dryness after endometrial ablation. My husband and I have found alternative lubrication. I shouldn't have dryness considering my younger body, but my obstetrician/gynecologist claims that I'm not in menopause yet at 43.5 years old.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I needed an endometrial ablation because of 30 day heavy bleeding and giant clots. I am 47 years old and have a history of heavy periods and terrible cramps. I have 3 children by C-section. I was a good candidate because I have no fibroids. I had the procedure done 9 days ago under general anesthesia. That whole day was bad cramping, but I just took ibuprofen for pain. Next day I had some spotting, not terrible pain, slight cramps. On the 3rd day there is watery discharge, feels like urinating. Weird; hope it goes away. No history of incontinence.

Comment from: Llg222 , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation almost 3 years ago, it worked a little and reduced my periods from 14 days to 7 to 10 days, but still painful. My periods eventually got heavier and more painful, and the gynecologist said I was too young and should never have had the procedure (28). For the past 5 or 6 months I've had really light short periods and suspect the scarring has stopping most of the blood from escaping my uterus causing horrific labor like pain. It looks like I may need a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Chloegrl , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a D and C and Minerva endometrial ablation yesterday under general anesthesia. I'm 48 and have never given birth. I used one Norco when I got home and slept. I woke up today feeling a little crampy and only needing ibuprofen for the pain. I have some clear discharge. So far, so good.

Comment from: ALL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had endometrial ablation a year and a half ago. I went home shortly after the procedure and rested with the next day off work. I am a high school teacher. I haven't had any bleeding since the procedure. It couldn't have gone better.

Comment from: KBOSIER, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had an endometrial ablation done on August 2, 2018. I feel like I have no energy, bloated, always tired and dizzy. I don't know how long this will last, it feels like I'm out of my head most of the time, like I'm on anesthesia! It's driving me nuts. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow! Hopefully they can tell me something or give me something for it.

Comment from: Fiona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have just had my endometrial ablation procedure on 31/7/18 under general anesthetic. All went well, I felt a little cramping in hospital, was given pain relief, and went home around 4 pm. I slept well and the next day I was fine with light work and a gentle walk. But on Thursday I was exhausted so I rested with feet up but did manage 30 minutes' walk. I went to work Friday and Saturday, ok maybe I should have taken the days off as I'm a hairdresser I was on my feet all day. I'm still losing a little blood but it is only day 6, this procedure is worth it.

Comment from: Shamu910, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

After having my period for six months straight I opted to have endometrial ablation in January. It's July and I have gained almost 30 pounds regardless of following a diet and running every day! I can't get rid of the pounds. I have never looked like this before, it's so embarrassing! I'm extremely bloated, retaining so much water that my regular physician has me on a water pill that unfortunately is not working. If you are thinking having this done think twice.

Comment from: Don't be desperate , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had my endometrial ablation done in 2009 after bleeding for 30 days straight with extra-large clots and doubled over in pain cramping. I would have done anything to make it stop. Nine years later, I have no pain, no periods. But I went from 150 lb. to 240lb. over the last 9 years. Exercise, dieting, nothing helps. I wish I would not have been so desperate and would have taken the time to find another option. At the time I felt it was my best option, but I feel I made that decision too quickly.

Comment from: Cromsonprincess74, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had my endometrial ablation in April 2016 and for about a year and a half everything was great. Six months ago I started having pain every time I had a period. When I would bend over in the shower just to shave my legs I would have pain. I'm going to see a different obstetrician because mine doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong and that this is all normal and just wants to put me on birth control, which I was on because I bled for weeks and it literally did nothing for the cramps. All it did was make me gain weight.

Comment from: AtomicBlond303 , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had endometrial ablation on my womb 12 years ago and for the first year it was great, no pain and no periods; whoopee, right? But the pain came back, not just monthly but every moment of every day. I'm in constant pain, I'm now 48, the pain is unbearable and it's starting to affect my daily life and my mental wellbeing. Unfortunately it is nerve damage due to the procedure and pain killers do nothing and I have never found a magic pill to get rid of it, so the next step is a hysterectomy and I can't wait.

Comment from: Priceless200000, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I sure did. Like many others, if you read any message boards on this topic, I experienced weight gain about a month after the endometrial ablation, specifically in my abdominal area. I would take my period, awful as it could be, any day over having a burnt uterus and a confused body. This is not natural and it is not a good idea. Do your research. This thing is awful.

Comment from: Cook, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had an endometrial ablation and I am I sore and having pain at night. The ablation was done Friday and today is Tuesday, I went to work on Monday and walking slow. I don't know how long but hopefully the sore achiness will go away soon. Heating pad is my best friend right now! Not fun being a woman.

Comment from: Wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had the endometrial ablation procedure in September 2017. I was 48 at the time and from about 45 I was having horribly heavy periods even on the pill. For 20 years I had light periods like clockwork on the pill (outside of having babies), every 4th Tuesday and would end by Friday. I hit mid 40s and bam, welcome to perimenopause! Horrible heavy super tampons every 2 hours and period lasting up to 10 days. I couldn't deal with this! My obstetrician/gynecologist did the procedure (I had a normal uterus and zero fibroids). I went home, slept, watched TV the rest of the day, and felt fine. I had some watery discharge for a couple weeks afterwards as they described would happen. It is 9 months later and I haven't had a single period. I couldn't be happier! My insurance covered it and I wish I had it done when I first started being abused by my hormones! I definitely recommend it! Life has been wonderful since. I don't get the whole lack of libido thing some people mentioned. It doesn't touch your ovaries or hormones so your testosterone levels (which push a sex drive) aren't affected by this procedure. If anything, it has been more freeing to have sex whenever I want to, without worry of that monthly unnecessary curse! Don't wait any longer ladies! If you are cleared for it, do it!

Comment from: Mrs Shackelford , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I'm 41 years old and I just had my endometrial ablation on Monday (6/18/18) and today is Thursday. I had general anesthesia and never felt anything and woke up with a little cramping but it wasn't anything terrible. I went home and rested. Today I have some spotting from time to time, nothing to be concerned about. If anyone is thinking of doing this I say go for it and trust your doctor, they have your best interest in mind. I was also scared because of the unknown but if I had to do this again I would in a heartbeat!

Comment from: Cathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had my endometrial ablation done in 2006 and I was in bed for 2 days, I had also had my tubes tied. After the 2 days I was back at work. I never had any side effects and now in 2018 I still do not have any menstrual bleeding; it was the best decision I ever made.

Comment from: Nll87s, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had no real side effects from the endometrial ablation. I still have a period but it's a manageable period. No more 7 to 18 overnight pads in an hour and tampons were just a joke. But now I can wear a pad with a tampon that I change at most every 4 hours and most of the time the tampons actually work. I'm very happy with the results.

Comment from: Phardman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had endometrial ablation done 9/2017. I had some discharge for the first 3 weeks then nothing which was nice! November I started having horrible pains on my right side. Finally I was doubled over and went to the emergency room (ER). I thought maybe it was a cyst, as that is what it felt like. Doubt it was a cyst. Anyway the ER doctor gave me an anti-inflammatory drug. I took it when I started feeling the cramps. I have never had cramps at all during my period so this is new for me. Feels more like the beginning labor pains but just on the right side. I remember the ultrasound technician saying I had fibroids but that wouldn't affect the outcome of the ablation. Now I'm reading about this pain and I think it may be due to the fibroids.

Comment from: Kap, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I too lost my libido after the endometrial ablation procedure. I have tried everything to get it back without success. I would recommend against this procedure to anyone who wants to continue having sex. As said in a previous post, I hope there is a class action someday. If it was happening to men, there would already be one!

Comment from: Lyriquestorm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

In 2015 I had some cyst and endometriosis removed, and they did the endometrial ablation. It was great until recently. For the past 2 months I have been having bloating, burning and pain all the time. I thought it was an infection. When I saw my obstetrician/gynecologist he explained that since I have not had a period in three years my uterus had been reabsorbing the blood causing the blood become almost cystic. This is not common. But now I need a hysterectomy, and this was something we were trying to avoid because I have a heart condition. So I had a great three year run. If I had to do it over again I would just do the hysterectomy from jump.

Comment from: Islandgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I had endometrial ablation done a week ago and still have minor cramping but changing a pad every 2 hours of watery pink discharge. I'm worried about this. I've read up that it could be normal for up to three weeks but thinking of seeing the doctor.

Comment from: Anna2728, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I am 35 and had my D and C and an endometrial ablation and IUD (intrauterine device) 10 days ago and I feel terrible. The pain after the procedure was unbearable. I had very light to no bleeding and now 10 days later I'm bleeding heavily and the cramps are back. I'm very bloated and it's hard to stand for a long period of time and hard to bend over because of being bloated. Don't know if this was the right decision. I'm hoping it will get better.

Comment from: Kdeal71, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I was given the choice of endometrial ablation or a hysterectomy, my periods were off the wall crazy, lasting months at a time, with very heavy bleeding. I went to my doctor and she said I was a good candidate for the endometrial ablation procedure. So, I had my procedure done as an outpatient in the hospital. I woke up very nauseous, the anesthesia made me vomit like crazy, I went home slept the entire day with a heating pad. By the next day, I was a little crampy, but felt fine. I had the procedure in September 2017, I've had 1 period since then, which was light to normal. I have not had a period in 4 months, and this was without a doubt, the best thing that I have done. I feel completely fine, no changes in my sex drive, no weight gain, no problems at all. I'm so sorry that some of the ladies had a bad experience with the procedure, however, I would do it again in a heartbeat! To prevent weight gain, I started taking probiotics, and a strict vitamin regime. I feel fantastic!

Comment from: fckdbydrs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Like many others, I suffered nerve damage from endometrial ablation that led to numbness in the vagina. I am ok on outside parts and can still feel, but inside is completely numb since the procedure 5 years ago. The doctor denies any link, says it is all in my head. Also my libido went bye-bye after the procedure. I have tried everything including Adyii to get it back to no avail. I've been castrated. I would recommend against this procedure to anyone who wants to continue having sex after. Hope there's a class action someday. If it was happening to men, there would already be one. If it sounds too good to be true, research people!

Comment from: kjsmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation on 11.2.17. I have gained 5 lb. and have not stopped bleeding since. Today is 1.8.18. Previously I had the Mirena and bled for 6 straight months with the IUD (intrauterine device). I have a follow-up appointment scheduled this week with the doctor to discuss the next steps and address the bleeding. I feel miserable. Absolutely miserable. On a side note, I had the procedure completed in the office. I felt some pain at the end to the point of nausea and almost fainted. Once the procedure was over, the pain subsided to cramps only. I took some pain medicines and slept the rest of the day. I would not elect to have the procedure in office again and would advise against it. My tolerance for pain is pretty decent.

Comment from: midwestgal73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I'm 44, physically active, and a healthy female. I had a D and C with NovaSure endometrial ablation under general anesthesia due to heavy periods. I was knocked out for about 1.5 hours. Upon waking I had lower abdomen pain I considered to be a 4 to 5 on a 1-10 scale. The nurse gave me 1 hydrocodone about 2.5 hours after the procedure. Upon standing and moving the pain started to go away and I required no further pain medicines. I had one incident of blood/spotting on my pad shortly after the procedure (I think on my way home). I'm on day 2. No blood, no discharge at all really. No pain. No discomfort. All in all the procedure went well. Hopefully my periods are reduced to normal levels. I do take 4000 IU vitamin D3 and B-complex daily. Vitamin D3 reduces spotting between periods. I highly recommend general anesthesia. I was really nervous about it, never having done it before, but I'm so glad my doctor used that method.

Comment from: Virginia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

It is Monday, and I had the endometrial ablation done last Wednesday (5 days ago). I was expecting to have an epidural or some kind of anesthesia, and I was only given some local anesthesia in the area, which resulted in me feeling the whole procedure. The pain was unbearable. I almost passed out from the pain and the cramps during the 1.15 minute procedure. Immediately after, I felt nauseous and I was given a shot to minimize the symptom (it did not help). I threw up for hours after the procedure, along with having the cramps. Cramp pain went away after 9 hours of the procedure. Today, after 5 days, my body still feels funny. I do not have strength, I feel very weak. I am a school counselor, and I am at work, but have no energy. I am spotting, which is normal, almost no cramps. My problem is that I have no energy. This is not me.

Comment from: michele , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had an endometrial ablation done on 20th July 2017. Since then I have put on 20 lb. in weight, and feel all bloated, and not myself. The past 10 days I have had pain down my left leg and into my left groin> I had bleeding 21 days after the operation but nothing in the past 10 weeks.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had endometrial ablation done yesterday, I was not given any sedation at all and was advised to take pain killers an hour before. This was a very painful experience and was so poorly afterwards with really bad cramps. If anybody is going to go through this procedure I advise to go through a general anesthetic or make sure you have some sedation. The doctor said I didn't need it and I wouldn't like anyone to go through this pain as I did.

Comment from: JodiDVM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I had an endometrial ablation in March and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I had it done in the office under light sedation and it was uneventful. There was no pain during the procedure and the postoperative pain was minimal. Don't be dissuaded by negative reviews you might read, discuss your concerns with your obstetrician and keep your mind open. It resolved all my issues with chronic bleeding and I haven't had a period since. I am so pleased I decided to have this procedure done!

Comment from: bbrannon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I am 49 years old and was having very heavy periods. My doctor suggested the endometrial ablation since I wasn't ready for a hysterectomy. I had the procedure done May of 2016 and since then I constantly bleed which affects my daily life. Out of the 30 or 31 days a month I was bleeding or spotting about 15 to 20 days. I went back to the doctor a few months ago and have been placed on birth control to try to control the bleeding but for the last 7 weeks I have not stopped bleeding. I have another doctor's appointment next week to discuss removing the fibroids that I have or polyps that I may have that maybe causing my problems. I'm thinking that I probably should go ahead and have the hysterectomy. I don't want to keep having surgeries that are not going to help my problem. If I knew then what I know now I would have never had the endometrial ablation done. Waste of money and it made mine worse but it may work for other people.

Comment from: Neha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I am a 45 years old. I had my endometrial ablation done 6 days ago at the hospital with general anesthesia. I didn't feel any pain during the procedure and even after it. No cramps and no bleeding at all. This is my 6th day and I am still wondering if I really had it done; which is great. Only discomfort I had was constipation for two days due to anesthesia. I am having a very little discharge but don't even have to wear a pad. Some of these positive reviews helped me to get it done, that's why I am writing this review for those of you who are worried. I feel great so far. Good luck ladies!

Comment from: CMichele, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

My co-worker and I both underwent the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure a little more than 5 years ago and it has been one of the best things I've ever done. Procedure was quick, recovery was a breeze. I had it done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. I've had no cramping, no periods, no spotting, no headaches, no bloating. It makes me wonder with all the bad reviews if some of these doctors performed the procedure correctly. My co-worker also has had no side effects and we went to different gynecologists. I hope the women who have been afflicted with side effects are soon relieved from them.

Comment from: momof2boys, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had an endometrial ablation, D and C, and tubal all done at the same time about 10 days ago. I had no pain and never took the pain medicines. I had clear discharge then my period started this morning. I really hope they eventually go away since my periods were never super heavy to begin with. I'm 36 and have 2 kids. I was told that having the tubal and ablation done at the same time was a smart decision. So far so good!

Comment from: cmas17, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had the Minerva endometrial ablation done yesterday. Though the numbing was extremely uncomfortable, it didn't take that long (a few minutes). The procedure itself again, while I cramped pretty good, only lasted 2 minutes. I lay down when I got home for a few hours and woke up with pretty bad menstrual-like cramps. I took one of the Vicodin pills they prescribed and it kicked in after about 20 minutes and I was able to fall back asleep. I slept through the night and woke up feeling fine this morning. No cramps. I didn't have any bleeding either, just a minimal watery and slightly pink discharge (not even enough to warrant a pad). I'm due to get my period in a couple of weeks and am hoping that I will be one of the lucky ones who never gets her period again (I know about 7 people who have had ablations and none of them has ever bled again). So far, so good!

Comment from: Not what I hoped for, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had the endometrial ablation done and multiple fibroids removed in December 2016. The procedure went well and recovery was quick (I went on a trip to Europe two days after surgery), but unfortunately the fibroids grew back in no time. My first period in January was already 4 heavy days and it got worse and more and more painful every month since. I'm back to 13 day periods. The gynecologist is now (6 months after surgery) recommending hysterectomy.

Comment from: nickeyp1980, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had my endometrial ablation done June 1st, and am scheduled for my 2 week post follow up on June 15th. The day of the procedure was awful afterwards. I lay in bed for two days and had to take Norco for the pain. I'm still experiencing heavy cramping, watery pink discharge, dryness down there, burning, bloating and I'm tired come the afternoon. I will be discussing these things with my doctor this week, and I'm hoping after a few more weeks I go back to normal. I also feel like I have my period this week.

Comment from: Nannyfor3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I will be two weeks post an endometrial ablation tomorrow. The recovery was a lot worse than I was expecting. I had it done on a Friday, under anesthesia. I was there about 2 hours. I had issues with the anesthesia. I was in a lot of pain after the procedure (I have endometriosis so I'm used to lots of pain). I had a lot of pain and pressure for about 6 hours after the procedure with some light bleeding that lasted two days. I am still experiencing being really tired by the late afternoon. I believe I got my period one week after the procedure and it was light but still very painful! I had to end up taking a whole week off from work because though the pain wasn't that bad I found I was getting dizzy often. I still have a pink watery sometimes blood streaked discharge and some minor cramping and occasional pain.

Comment from: Happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I had endometrial ablation done a year ago and a small fibroid removed as well. I have had no problems, it was a blessing for me! I am 49, pre-menopausal, and am very sexually active. Even more so now.

Comment from: Kelloggs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in April 2015. I had the procedure done in their office. I did not go under, just had local anesthesia. It did not hurt me at all, just felt a little pressure (I have extremely high tolerance for pain). I was given pain killers for home. I only took 2 out of the bottle. Right after the procedure was done they gave me a pad for any bleeding I may have. I had one spot of blood when I got home. I have had no pain since the procedure and I have not had any signs of my period since before I had it done. It was the best thing I could have had done. I started menopause at the age of 42 and it started with really bad hot flashes and getting my period twice a month, a full week of heavy bleeding (I used to only have 3 days and always light). By the time I was 44 I was having my period 3 full weeks of every month. I am glad I have done this procedure and that it was a success for me.

Comment from: SwtBrnSugah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on 2/23/2014. I took painkillers prior to procedure and one after. I did not feel pain, just a slight soreness. I had a light watery discharge for 2 days and then nothing. I have not had a menstrual period since. I think the key was I had the procedure done shortly after my period.

Comment from: melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had endometrial ablation done on January 10th. I have been bleeding nonstop since. I was told it was normal, now that my period has come it has gotten worse and is still heavy with clots. All my life I have had bad periods, I'd pass golf ball size clots the whole time and it would be super heavy. I am worried that I have had a period for 10 days and was bleeding before I actually started.

Comment from: Sharona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done over 10 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. I had heavy, clotted bleeding and severe pain every month. My cramps were so bad that I would curl up in a ball on my bed and cry. I surely didn't want to go shopping or out with friends. I came across a brochure for NovaSure in another doctor's office. I took it to my obstetrician/gynecologist and asked if she could perform it on me. It was a simple 15 minute procedure that she was able to do in her office. I had a few days of watery discharge and a very light period that month. I had a lighter period the next month and then it stopped altogether. It was great!

Comment from: Stillwaiting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation in December 2016. The first 6 hours after were the most excruciating cramps I have ever had. They sent me home with ibuprofen and it did nothing. At one point I lay on the bathroom floor in a cold sweat, shaking and ready to pass out for over an hour. After about 6 hours the pain finally subsided but it took me another 3 days to get my strength back. I've had the watery discharge ever since and 2 heavy periods. As far as I can tell, the procedure did not do much for me. I'm hoping a little time will change that.

Comment from: Stillinpian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done last April and I am experiencing weight gain and cramping as if I feel I need to have my period. I am bloated and have sharp pains at times. I am waiting to see my doctor to have a hysterectomy. Although this procedure was done on my sister 9 years ago without any issues it was not good for me.

Comment from: NotCumming, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I thank everyone for sharing. I had an endometrial ablation on November 22nd of 2016. I am feeling well, and still have a period although lighter and more manageable. My issue is that sexually I am numb post operation. I had no issue reaching 5 or 6 times great climaxes every single time, my husband had it down to a science. Now they are light little flutters that barely count, and they take some work to achieve. Also I asked my doctor and he stated that this was psychological which I think is bologna. I was sick with heavy periods, menorrhagia for 10 years. I would not have done this surgery had I known this was a side effect. I am strongly evaluating seeking legal counsel

Comment from: MelissaMommyto5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I'm 6 days post endometrial ablation and had a super-fab recovery thus far. I took pain medication immediately upon dismissal from the hospital and again 6 hours later just anticipating waves of uncontrollable pain, but it never came (yay for catching a break finally). Thus far the watery discharge is the primary side effect and it isn't problematic levels, I'd take it any day over bleeding clots the size of pinkie fingers. I was very discouraged pre-operation about the number of unsuccessful cases I had read about, but I'm hopeful that this less-invasive procedure can prevent the need for a hysterectomy at 41. Good luck everyone!

Comment from: Lea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had endometrial ablation done 3 weeks ago. I had slight cramping when I woke but that's about it. I bled for about 3 days then had the discharge. About 10 days later I started bleeding again and it hasn't stopped. I'm hoping it will stop soon as I'm feeling very lethargic so I've had to start taking iron tablets.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm on day 12 after NovaSure endometrial ablation. I thought things were going well though I did contact my doctor on day eight to say the discharge was so foul smelling. He wasn't concerned. Last three days have been awful. I have pain and bloating. Discharge seems worst in the night, I'm having to get up two to three times to change pads. I was hoping I could get back to work but just don't know at the moment. C-section was easier than this.

Comment from: kellykel1124, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had the endometrial ablation a little over a year ago and I have worse periods than I had before. I have bleeding all month long and only a few days with no blood at all. This is awful. I went back to my doctor who said that all of my lining did not get removed from the ablation and that is why I am having the bleeding all month long.

Comment from: rscarrett, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure 3 years ago and haven't bled since. I have limited symptoms of having a period also. I had a thyroid issue and am 42 and am pre-menopausal but other than that have had no issues.

Comment from: Katthebrat18fl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had the Hydro ThermAblator System done August 31st, 2016 so I am only 23 days post-operation. I was diagnosed as pre-menopausal and was taken off birth control to see if that would rectify it (I just turned 33 and have 2 kids both delivered through C-section). It did not help and so I had a tubal just in case (due to health problems I do not want more kids) but that started to cause painful periods and heavy bleeding whereas before I had normal flow, and every 28 days. A hysterectomy would take me out of work for at least 2 weeks. So I went with the endometrial ablation as they stated it would only be a day or so out. Well, I woke after the procedure and the pain was killing me (and I'm not a wimp, I'm tattooed all over)! I had Percocet, fentanyl, Valium, tramadol, and a shot, while I was still sleeping, of Motrin directly to the uterus. I don't know if it is because I am a redhead and they say we are more pain intolerant but I am glad that is over with! And it was only my left side, not the right side at all. I went home with a prescription for more Percocet and slept the rest of the day. I had Percocet as directed for 2 days after that and then the pain finally receded. Then the discharge started. First they said that I would have just a watery discharge, which was correct, but now it has morphed into an orangey-yellow sometimes pink tinged substance. Basically the healing process. My mother had the same thing done when she was my age (for same reasons, apparently it is hereditary for us) and stated hers lasted 6 to 8 weeks long. So right now it might last a couple months, but I am so happy that when I was due for my period this month I did not have one. It was more pink-tinged but no actual blood. I still had the cramps associated with menstrual times but nothing like before. I am hoping that this nasty thing goes away and finishes healing soon and that I can continue to be period free.

Comment from: HappyJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

This is week 3 following endometrial ablation procedure. I am still having very light bleeding. It seems the bloated feeling is a little better. I had a tubal, D and C, and ablation at the same time. The doctor had told me that I could return to work a few days following the procedure. Well, that was wishful thinking! The first 3 days, I was sore and tired, but didn't hurt too bad. Day 4 to 8, I had the worst pain in my left side. It was excruciating. The doctor said it was probably gas from the laparoscopy. Anyway, it has been a little slower at feeling good than I expected. I think the doctors need to be more honest about post-surgery recovery. It is better to be prepared. I will continue to post recovery over the next few weeks.

Comment from: MIchelleb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done on 8/2/16. I had my period at the time. They did it in my obstetrician/gynecologist's office. They gave me a few prescriptions (Xanax, Percocet, and a shot to the buttocks). Procedure was quick, not too painful, and same as a Pap smear test. I went in at 1ish and came home by 3. I slept until the next day. I woke up fine, no pain and no period. Today is day 2 and I still feel good.

Comment from: Tammy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure done in January 2009 and it took away my moisture. I've never needed any help before and now I have to use K-Y jelly during intercourse.

Comment from: Mills, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an endometrial ablation on the 3/3/2016. I am 31 and after 18 years off horrible heavy periods with just 3 days a month with no bleeding I feel the healthiest I have ever been. I understand that it doesn't cure my polycystic ovarian syndrome but since this procedure I haven't had any pain, etc. Best thing ever. The only downfall is that I have never had children but glad I am now healthy.

Comment from: Menopausalmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation in July 2015. I was told I would bleed post operation for maybe 3 weeks. It lasted 10 weeks. The post operation bloating was beyond horrible. After 10 weeks of post operation bleeding, I still got my period every 26 days in October, November, and December but bleeding was significantly less than I was used to. I'm 52, so I considered this a success until I can reach menopause. In January and February 2016 I had minimal spotting for my period and I thought it is finally going away! Then, I got cramps and a regular period in March. I just got my period this month (April 2016) and was brought to tears by the cramps last night. I refuse to get on a scale, but have definitely gained weight in my stomach since the procedure, as I've had to buy new pants. If we didn't have a high insurance deductible, I would be insisting on a hysterectomy. Crazy that I still have to deal with bleeding and debilitating cramps at 52 years old.

Comment from: Everydaygirly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done yesterday morning (day 2 of period) in the hospital along with hysteroscopy. I was out for about an hour. I woke up from the procedure with mild cramping and was immediately given a Percocet along with a prescription for Percocet which helped pretty quickly. I had blood spotting rest of the day (stark contrast to heavy bleeding and clots that I went in with) and continued to take Percocet every 4 hours, and rested most the day. Today I feel great! I have two more days before I go to work though, so am continuing to rest but I won't need any more Percocet unless things change. I am 34 years old with one child, hope the heavy bleeding and premenstrual syndrome have gone for good!

Comment from: Chesirkity, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have rheumatoid arthritis and a ganglion cyst on my finger. I had it drained, only to have it return within 4 weeks. It is very sensitive to touch and the doctor suggested seeing a surgeon to remove it.

Comment from: Beverly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

No side effects. The best decision for me. I had the endometrial ablation in January of 2015. It has been over a year now and the ablation to me was very successful. I had very heavy periods that went for ten days. Now they are light and are only three days. I was told I was a good candidate for this procedure because of my age. I was 49 at the time of surgery. I still have my hormones! My doctor told me to keep my hormones as long as I can.

Comment from: Beth M, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done 09/2012. I had cramping and a brownish discharge for about 10 days, then nothing. I enjoyed life for 9 months, no bleeding, bloating, or cramping. Then all of a sudden the severe labor like pain started. It lasted a week the first time, and nothing touched it. I stayed in bed with a heating pad and lived on pain medications. Since then it repeats every 28 to 30 days and lasts a week to ten days. Although ablation did work to minimize bleeding, if I had known how much pain it would cause, I never would have done it. I have an appointment with my obstetrician/gynecologist, where I intend to beg for a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Belrib, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had my uterine ablation done on the 3rd of December 2015. I woke up with no pain and no medicines required post procedure. I had watery brown discharge for 6 weeks after. I have had 2 periods since the 6 weeks discharge and what a difference. Wow. I used to have clots and a very heavy period that lasted 7 days. I would soak a pad every hour on days 2, 3 and 4. Now I only need a panty liner and night time is a massive relief. Waking up to no mess is wonderful. I tried the pill, the Mirena and finally tranexamic acid before finally doing this.

Comment from: Lawmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am almost 2 years out from NovaSure endometrial ablation. I have had erratic periods, though not heavy bleeding. For the last 4 months, I have had bleeding every other week lasting 7 or more days (I will go almost 24 hours no bleeding, then it starts up again). No cramps like I had before ablation, but I do seem to have bloating, indigestion, and weight gain. This is miserable. I am only 40, and before ablation had very heavy periods, lasting several days with severe cramping.

Comment from: sabby, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 24 years old with 1 child and had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on June 18th, 2015. I also had a tubal ligation, D and C, hysteroscopy and polyp removal done as well. My primary reason was for adenomyosis and the chronic bleeding due to that. The pain wasn't bad at all. Just some soreness and cramps here and there. I didn't need my pain medications and was back to work in 3 days. I had very little spotting for a few days then nothing after that. Never had the discharge. I am nearly 7 months post operation, no period, no pain and I love it! Sex drive is great, no fear of pregnancy, and no more bleeding for months; glad I made this choice!

Comment from: Lynz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I had my endometrial ablation done 12/17/15. I came home with slight cramping and slept most of the day. My doctor checked in on me the next day and I honestly asked him if he did the procedure. I felt 100 percent normal the next day. I did have minimal watery discharge for a week and still get an occasional discharge now. My doctor said it was normal and takes a few weeks for the lining to dissolve. I am interested to see how this affects my heavy periods caused by fibroids.

Comment from: wolf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had the endometrial ablation on 12-30-15. I am swollen in stomach and have a sharp pain in the left side. If I eat I really swell. I am stuck wearing pajama pants.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter