Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience

Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: C. Alabama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

In 2006 I had my endometrial ablation and it has worked perfectly. My bleeding stopped completely. It is now 2018 and I still have not had any menstrual bleeding. I had my second child in February 2006 and the bleeding and cramping after birth was non-stop, it was horrific. I was passing clots the size of eggs and this lasted until August 2006 when I was scheduled to have my tubes tied they also did my ablation. They decided this after trying medication and D and C to try and stop/control the bleeding but it didn't work. I have been so happy with my results.

Comment from: Happy in Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

In July of 2013 I went and had a tubal ligation and after doing that we had discussed about the doctor also performing an endometrial ablation. I remember after surgery I was in a lot of pain and kept asking for more pain medicines. I do not remember the drive home or much of the 3 days following. I woke to eat and take pain medicines. It is now almost 5 years later and I have not had to wear a maxi or tampon since June of 2013. It was one of the best decisions I had ever made. I hope my period stays gone for good.

Comment from: Ladybug32, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Everything went very well with mild cramping. My first period after endometrial ablation was light enough to use panty liner. I have been experiencing spotting every day since the procedure (2 months after) and my lower back hurts with stomach cramps and bleeding. I'm disappointed that my spotting got worse after the procedure. My back hurts all the time and I am still bloated. I hope it gets better before I request hysterectomy. I wish I hadn't got the procedure done. I feel more pain now than before!

Comment from: Kimber2629, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I underwent a total endometrial ablation in November 2007 due to excessive and heavy nonstop bleeding that made it impossible to keep iron and other vitamins in my body. Years went by, I felt great, although slowly started gaining weight. By 2017 I went from 110 lb. to 180 lb. I've had off and on spotting, specifically if I had intercourse I bleed every time. Now, May 2018, I'm experiencing severe stomach pains (worse than cramps), my thyroid shut down so I take hormones now to get that back running, and I feel a hysterectomy is going to be imminent. I've had a little pain off and on and can always tell when it's that time of month (mainly by my mood changes), but now I have severe bleeding, pain, and a feeling of something being wrong but can't quite figure it out. After all my research, I've come to the conclusion that my endometrial ablation is the cause of what's been going on and I just kept ignoring it until now, and I can't ignore it. It is too painful, and I have heavy bleeding and clotting, tiredness, mood changes, and depression.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done yesterday, Apr. 11. I am back at work Apr. 12, and feel fantastic. I had cramping on the day of procedure but woke up this morning and, aside from the spotting, feel perfect. Time will tell if the procedure will give me the results I am hoping for, but I'm in zero pain and feel normal 24 hours after procedure.

Comment from: Jeanette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Thanks for sharing everyone. I am waiting to go to the theatre for my endometrial ablation and after reading some of your messages I feel like running out the door! My friend from work had it done 4 months ago with the same surgeon for same reasons. I am 53 with incredibly heavy long periods. Oh well, wish me luck. I will check back in during recovery time. Excellent information.

Comment from: KK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

Even after the endometrial ablation my periods came back within 3 weeks and just a bad as before I had the ablation. I hope this is because it has only been a month and a half since I had it. But it cost a lot of money to not help at all. I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but I wish I had been told more honest stories. My doctor said I should never bleed again hopefully. I'd be happy with light periods but here I am with very bad cramping again and heavy bleeding. I'm hoping it gets better. But that's my experience and I just had it done this year.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had fibroids and extremely heavy periods for over 5 years. I was bleeding all the time and it was starting to consume my life. I had an endometrial ablation and D and C done in November 2016 at age 48. The recovery was a few weeks, some spotting and cramping, but nothing compared to pre-surgery. I went 6 glorious months without a period and then it came back. It was 100 times lighter than before and only lasted 4 to 5 days. I would highly recommend this procedure, it gave me my life back.

Comment from: Laney, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had endometrial ablation in February 2017. For me the procedure was very painful afterwards and it took 7 weeks for me to get back to normal. After the discharge eventually stopped I really started to feel the benefit of having the ablation. I haven't had a period since, and I feel great. I still have ovulation pain and premenstrual syndrome but it's very minimal compared to before. I would recommend ladies to consider this procedure as it has changed my life!

Comment from: DK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

Endometrial ablation changed my life! After bearing 3 children, I had periods that were so heavy and full of clots, I couldn't leave my house for a day or two. I also planned weekends away around my periods. It was very limiting and affected many aspects of my life including socializing, physical activity, travel and overall, my freedom to live to my life as I wanted to. I hesitated to take what I saw to be drastic measures but it got to the point where I felt like I needed to make a change. This procedure went seamlessly for me. After some mild cramps and light brown discharge (easily managed with just a panty shield) for approximately 8 days, my period stopped forever. I am free and making choices based on my desires and interests rather than on what time of the month it is! Truly liberating and highly recommended. Take your life back!

Comment from: Crystal D, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had the endometrial ablation, and LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) on 4/19/2017 (last week Wednesday), and after the surgery everything seemed to be okay. I had a brown grainy, watery discharge for the first two days and then on day 3, I started seeing a bright pinkish red discharge. I am now knocking at a week's door (tomorrow will be 1 week post-surgery) and I am now having a full period. This is very discouraging and I don't know what went wrong. I'm wondering if it is because I had two procedures at once. Oh my goodness, this is very frustrating.

Comment from: Pmd67, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had endometrial ablation a year ago. I had spotting and discharge for 6 to 7 weeks, then no bleeding at all. I am still getting menopausal symptoms, i.e., headaches, weight gain on tummy, irritable moods, etc. I understand that I shouldn't believe that I cannot now get pregnant but I feel it highly unlikely after a year of no bleeding, I'm 50.

Comment from: Sassipantz, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 24

Endometrial ablation was the best thing I have ever done. I used to have extremely heavy periods to the point I could barely leave my house. I actually had my period when my procedure was done and it was gone after leaving the office. I only had some light bleeding afterwards. The procedure was quick and painless for me. I did not need to take pain pills that the doctor gave me afterwards either. I had it done 5 years ago and no periods/bleeding since.

Comment from: cfreeman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I had an endometrial ablation a year and a half ago. I have suffered with cramps for two weeks out of the month which are not as bad as a few days prior to the ablation but they last longer and are different. More of a low back constant pain for weeks. I would trade it back for bleeding.

Comment from: Merdi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In 2010, I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure, due to heavy bleeding and no other methods worked. My doctor finally suggested the NovaSure procedure. It was very painful afterwards and I had watery bleeding for a few days. I continued to have light periods without any problems. For the last two months, I have symptoms of a cycle but no bleeding. I don't know if it is menopause or the NovaSure, but I am happy either way. This procedure is great!

Comment from: Lisa65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an endometrial ablation in May 2016 for very long cycles that were heavy and with clots! After July I didn't have a period for 3 months, I was so happy, then November I started my period which was a week long. It was not bad but now from December 19 till now, January 15 I've been bleeding off and on for the past month. It is heavy and I just can't take it anymore so I'm calling my obstetrician/gynecologist in the morning to insist on a hysterectomy; even though I don't want to, it's my only choice! I'm 51 and I was hoping it would be slowing down because of my age!

Comment from: MimiMeow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done two days ago, November 28, 2016, so far so good. I have a little bit of bleeding, almost no discharge! The beginning of my period was right around the day of my surgery, and I am feeling bloated, moody, and have some pain in my uterus. I'm not sure if these are post-surgery side effects or my period. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment from: Peaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done in May. I still bleed heavy on my 2nd day, the cramps are out of this world. It feels like contractions. I need the next procedure.

Comment from: Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation in 2010. Within 48 hours I was fighting for my life with sepsis due to internal injury. I had to undergo an emergency hysterectomy which I was begging for, but was told no to. I am now in a wheelchair and in chronic pain. I have severe abdominal adhesions and chronic pelvic pain. This operation ruined my life and that of my family.

Comment from: dboyd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had my endometrial ablation 8/12 in my doctor's office. So far it has been wonderful. I feel fine. Back to work today. I stayed busy all weekend. I was given Percocet and Valium to take before I went into the office. I only took one of the Valium and I wish I hadn't taken that one. It had been 30 years since I was give my one and only other Valium and I remember I didn't like it then either. After one last pregnancy test (drew blood) and then an intramuscular shot of Toradol, I was given about an hour to rest and let the medicines take effect. I was very prepared and knew exactly what to expect. I have a high pain tolerance so I was fine throughout the procedure. I even got to see the inside of my uterus before and after, on the monitor. I was, however, surprised to feel the heat as much as I did. Still for me it was very bearable and the slight cramping stopped immediately. My blood pressure was less after than before the procedure! I rested that afternoon and evening, but still made myself dinner and felt fine. I took Tylenol just as a precaution before bed the first night. I did everything I would normally do this weekend, cooking and cleaning. I'm back to work today, Monday. I am having the expected watery pink to brownish discharge but that is light. I hope I keep doing well and never have another period! I am sorry that so many of you have had problems. I thought it might be helpful to have another good review out here.

Comment from: Kari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an endometrial ablation March 2016 for extremely heavy bleeding that I had for about two years (I'm 42). I also had a fibroid removed and a D and C. I was put under for the procedure and due to pain management woke up feeling great. For the next 4 or 5 weeks I had slight watery bloody discharge but no big deal, could wear a panty liner. About the time I would normally get my period I got cramps so bad I was doubled over and had to leave work. Advil wouldn't even take care of it and I can take a lot of pain but this was bad. I'm still having a monthly period, but now what I would call a normal flow, but still bad cramping, worse than before the ablation. I'm being told by my gynecologist that you have to give an ablation 6 to 9 months to see the full effect. I'm on month 4. I'm still holding out hope that it'll work but not holding my breath at this point. I, like others on here, am regretting doing it in the first place.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had endometrial ablation on May 3rd, 2016. I had bad cramps and light bleeding for about 3 weeks. Then I had my regular period on June 19th, and it has been just as heavy as it was before I had the procedure, so I'm not sure if this helped me at all!

Comment from: Tjoyce2016, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had my NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure almost 48 hours ago. After the procedure which I was told went well, I was fine until about an hour or two later. Then I dealt with very bad cramping so I would suggest you take pain medication if offered even if you don't use it. I did not and let me tell you Tylenol PM didn't even touch the cramps I was having. I also vomited more than a couple of times, but I think this was more from the pain than anything else. By the next morning, I was feeling much better. I still at this point haven't had any bleeding or discharge. I just wanted to mention the medication because if I had that, I'm sure it would have been a lot smoother of an evening.

Comment from: Jeepmama85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 31, mother of 2. I had endometrial ablation done on 05/16/16, and today is 06/01/16. Afterwards upon waking up which was very hard because I really didn't want to open my eyes, they told me I had been given a lot of anesthesia, why I don't know. I had mild cramping which got worse. They gave me pain medicine prescription, I only took 1. The cramps and pressure were horrible, lasted almost 2 weeks. Ever since I still have discharge, first was brownish now it's white to clear and very liquid like, feels as though I'm bleeding. I had just finished my period two days prior to the procedure so haven't bled yet but spotting a tiny bit. I hope it works. I have had very heavy bleeding and very bad cramps ever since I first got my period and after I had my second child every time after my period I get bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had an endometrial ablation in February. I bled for a week after it, got my regular period two weeks later, and now I'm spotting every day. Think long and hard before doing this procedure. I wish I would have talked to more people, but I was desperate. I wanted to have a partial hysterectomy, but my doctor told me to have the ablation first. I've talked to more people who have had problems with the procedure than success.

Comment from: Equiracer4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had an endometrial ablation in 2007. I had a 10 year history of extreme bleeding/cramping and periods lasting 10 days. I was 46 at the time with 2 children. I was very anemic with no iron stores left. The procedure was done in outpatient surgery. I took a Motrin following the surgery. The cramping post operation was nothing like a normal period for me. I had scant spotting on/off for a few months but no more periods. Best thing I ever did.

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation done on Thursday (4 days ago). Procedure went fine, they weren't sure if it would, due to my uterus being retroverted. I woke up with really bad cramping which continued through the night. Next day I had no cramping and very minimal watery discharge. Bleeding was very faint and only lasted for the first night. Feels good. I have headaches but apart from that so far so good. They removed a polyp also so I am waiting on results. Fingers crossed but so far so good.

Comment from: brashears, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I used the bathroom and my stools were watery and red. I saw blood.

Comment from: CanEastener, Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done in February 2015. The reason for the ablation was to stop heavy bleeding that had started early September 2014 until the procedure. I had general anesthesia which left me light headed for weeks, with headaches. Only some light watery discharge for about two weeks and a foul odor. No bleeding since procedure which is great but there is still some odor, I figure this is normal. I still do have symptoms of having a period but without bleeding, usually bloating and sore heavy breasts. I'm fine with that as long as I don't bleed anymore. Sorry to hear some of you are going through such misery. Take care and all the best.

Comment from: Sallyp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation at the beginning of October under general anesthetic. I had very slight cramps on day one of the operation but mainly felt very tired for the next few days. I had watery reddish discharge for a couple of weeks and nothing since. Hoping my periods don't return and generally very pleased not to have to worry about constant heavy periods anymore. Pleased so far with the results.

Comment from: Missy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation in 2007. I have been without any periods since then; it was the best thing I ever did. However as of late I am experiencing lower back cramps and bloating. I am not sure what this means but I intend to go to my doctor this week.

Comment from: Ange, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had endometrial ablation 2 years ago but have been experiencing some pain in my lower abdomen and feel bloated since having this procedure done. I have been to the doctors and they have carried out some blood tests. I got a call today to ask me to go and have some more tests done next week as doctor was worried. Now I am worrying terribly, as I had this procedure done to stop the horrific bleeding which I was getting nearly every day for months. It was so bad I had to miss a terrible amount of time off work that in the end I had to leave.

Comment from: AGNP2015, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had my endometrial ablation January of 2012. I elected to have this procedure done because of uterine fibroids which caused considerable pain and excessive bleeding. I was weak and had anemia so I proceeded with this process. I experienced mild cramping post procedure and took some ibuprofen. For a week or so I experienced clear vaginal discharge and that was it. No more menstrual cycles. Fortunately, my physician also performed a tubal ligation on me to prevent future pregnancy. No more problems since this procedure.

Comment from: mrstee9/23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure on November 4 and was awake for the whole entire 90 second procedure. Other than the initial pain during the procedure I haven't experienced anything else. The pain stopped almost immediately after procedure was over, and there was some light bleeding the day of the procedure but none since. I haven't had to take any of the pain medications they prescribed me thus far. Only thing I have noticed is frequent urination, bloating like my abdomen is full of air and gas, and the urge to have a bowel movement (which I guess is also a good thing since I'm usually always constipated due to irritable bowel syndrome). I hope putting my body through this was worth it. We shall see, it's still too early in the process.

Comment from: tammerlynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation procedure performed 9 days ago using NovaSure under general anesthesia. I had no pain and very minor intermittent cramping first day. There was no need for medicines. I had very light watery/bloody discharge first week, then clear. The only side effect I'm experiencing is stomach bloat, particularly after I eat. Could be the anesthesia is still working out of my system as I am petite. I will discuss with physician at post-operation checkup.

Comment from: Nandin, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation on the 18th and I have been bleeding ever since. My doctor is so full of herself, patting herself on her back because it's 'the best one she's ever done!' that she doesn't care that I had cervicitis, a urinary tract infection and constant bleeding. I'm seeing a pain management doctor on Tuesday.

Comment from: tunatuna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I had endometrial ablation procedure done yesterday afternoon amongst other bits and pieces like a biopsy, which they carried out at the same time under general anesthesia. The after pain was described to me as being like a period pain. However, think more mid to end waves of the childbirth scale and you are getting there. It is absolutely excruciating. I have given birth 4 times, one without pain relief and believe me this is much worse! My stomach has swelled to at least three times its size. I have hardly bled at all since, just a light watery pink discharge. I was given no after care advice or pain relief on leaving the hospital. I asked about baths and they said they were fine, I have read elsewhere much that contradicts this including the actual leaflet. I realize it is still early days and not everyone will experience this.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my endometrial ablation with general anesthesia at age 43. I had moderate cramps for approximately three days. After the first month I was immediately thankful for the surgery. I have no more heavy bleeding! The bleeding is so light I can use a panty liner. No side effects and it was the best decision I could have made!

Comment from: KRIS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had endometrial ablation/NovaSure procedure back in 2011 and so far I have no problems, no bleeding, and no spotting. Knock on wood. However my moods might be slightly different, bit more irritable. I am not sure if it is related to it. Maybe it is menopause. I am only 42.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had the NovaSure endometrial ablation on July 17th, I had cramping immediately after procedure but went home right away. The cramping only lasts right after procedure. It has been a couple weeks and so far no side effects other than a little watery discharge every so often. No bleeding and I am feeling great. If I did not know I had the procedure, I would never have known it was done. Worth it!

Comment from: Julia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation last August. I was very poorly within hours but it was a reaction. Since September 2014 I have had no bleeding or pain, however I have gone up 1 or 2 dress sizes. This does bother me but I would rather be slightly bigger than have excessive bleeding and being housebound.

Comment from: Corrina, Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had endometrial ablation surgery about 5 years ago. It was the best decision I have ever made. I did have mild cramping and bleeding for about 5 days post-surgery but once healed I felt great! I would suffer so much during my menstrual cycle with heavy bleeding, cramping and pain that I would miss time at work every month. After this surgery my periods nearly stopped. I sometimes have mild spotting or nothing at all monthly now. This really changed my life for the better!

Comment from: Brelyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had endometrial ablation two days ago. I was told I had five fibroids; four that were small and one very large one. Not sure of the size, but the larger one was able to be removed. I had no pain and minimal cramps if any, after surgery. Many large jelly like dark clots passed the first 20 hours after surgery without pain, especially when urinating or upon standing. I am having a sense of relief from months of swelling abdominal and bouts with edema. Nothing bad to report yet and thankful for a smooth recovery.

Comment from: sunugggles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had an endometrial ablation a week ago! I went in on my full blown period and came out not needing anything but panty liner! That was great and I only had mild cramping, no discharge at all and no smell! The only thing I'm concerned about is the bloating; it could be from the pain medicines I took last week. I might just need to have a good bowel movement.

Comment from: Laureen119, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I underwent an endometrial ablation (thermal) in 2/15. I was having heavy bleeding that would last months at a time. I felt weak and horrible. I'm very conservative about medical intervention. I felt I had to do something to at least lessen the bleeding. I had polyps as well. Instead of doing 2 procedures (polypectomy and ablation later) I opted to have both done at the same time. It was done in the hospital under anesthesia. When I woke up I had pretty painful cramping. That lasted about 3 days. The pain medicines did help. I had a minimal clear discharge for about a week or so. It has been great ever since. I've had no discharge or period for 3 months. I hope not to have one again. I can go out without worrying about having an accident and bleeding through my clothes. As my doctor informed me I still have some hormonal PMS (premenstrual syndrome) symptoms. She told me since this was not a hysterectomy that wouldn't change. Overall I'm very happy I had the ablation.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had the Nova Sure endometrial ablation procedure in December 2013. I did develop an infection post procedure which caused a delay in recovery. But I can tell you last year was the best year of my life. No more heavy periods! But now, a year and a few months later I have developed what is called endometrial ablation syndrome. I am still not bleeding, but I am having horrific pain in my lower right side and pelvic area. I had many tests performed as the doctor thought I may have an appendicitis or ovarian cyst. But negative on both. At least I am not having the heavy bleeding, but the pain is excruciating.

Comment from: JenJean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I had my endometrial ablation two days ago under general anesthesia. When I woke up in recovery it was to the worst pain I have ever experienced, worse than any C-section or passing kidney stones. After many hours of other medication and vomiting and my blood pressure dipping dangerously low, a pethidine injection finally helped the pain. I am now feeling fine, but really nervous after reading all the experiences of others. I really hope that I have done the right thing and will visit this page again in a few months to leave some progress.

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had my NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure on 3.6.15. Before this I bled so heavily I had to double up on protection for 7 days. On January 2014 I started bleeding and did not stop and my doctor had to prescribe pills for me to stop the bleeding. I decided I just couldn't take it anymore. So far I am happy that I have had the ablation. Today, 3.24.15, I go back for my follow-up. I plan to ask a lot more questions. Hopefully my experience will play itself out positively. Goodness knows enough is enough.

Comment from: Ms P, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had my endometrial ablation with NovaSure done on the 3rd of June 2014. I have had no periods at all, which am happy about but suffer every month form painful breasts which my gynecologist said is either my ovulation or the time I was supposed to be on my period.

Comment from: dr220, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had an endometrial ablation a year ago. The next day I was a little crampy, but felt pretty good overall. I did bleed moderately for about 2 weeks afterwards. It was mild for another week after that and haven't had a period since. I had it done after years of suffering with heavy periods and cramps due to fibroids and I wish I would have done it sooner.

Comment from: tjhd333, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had the endometrial ablation surgery in October 2011, instead of partial hysterectomy. It was an outpatient surgery. Bad decision on all aspects. After surgery over I was left in awful pain. Slowly I seemed to get better but something was still wrong. I called the doctor and they kept putting me off till I insisted they do recheck. Well what do you know, staphylococcus infection! Well, after that cleared up, all I can say is everything seemed to go off kilter. I didn't have periods anymore but I was off hormonally, mentally and physically. After finally starting thyroid medications (because now your hormones aren't normal) and getting those adjusted properly, I am somewhat in a better place. It's been over 4 years!

Comment from: sonia12rmbr, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had the endometrial ablation on Monday 11/17/14 and I was put all the way asleep for the procedure with no problems. When I woke up I was hurting really bad but I'm going on my 4th day since the surgery and I've had mild cramping and red watery discharge but nothing extreme. I went back to work on Wednesday and did well and today I was much better. I am hoping this works for me but if not I have other options. It's just that I wanted to try this first before I had a hysterectomy because I am only 32 and didn't want everything taken out at a young age. I will update everyone in a few months in regards to my endometrial ablation.

Comment from: Katydid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had a uterine ablation in January 2012. I was severely anemic by the time I agreed to try the procedure. I never realized how bad life was before it. I bled all of the time and sometimes so much that I had to sit in the bathroom until the bleeding slowed enough to get dressed. It was normal to make a mess in my clothes, and have to change them during the day. The endometrial ablation was successful and only took 45 minutes. I had light cramping, but no bleeding. I am over 2 years past, and still no bleeding. I still have cramps sometimes, but nothing like before. I am so glad I had the procedure done.

Comment from: yodiva13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had an endometrial ablation about two years ago. In the beginning I was still having periods, but around the six month mark my periods were almost non-existent, I would have one about every six months. Last month I had a period that was very light but still lasted a week and this month my period is very heavy as if I never had the endometrial ablation and I am in a lot of pain with severe cramps. I wish I had just had a hysterectomy!

Comment from: Everlasting Pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had endometrial ablation in January of 2009. The first three months were awesome. Well, I should say when I woke up I screamed to the top of my lungs. I was in severe pain. (And I had twins so I am used to pain!) But since April of 2009 I have been having episodes of severe pain, fever that I cannot function. It lasted for 3 days. I feel like someone has punched me in my stomach over and over. I've been to the emergency room (ER) so many times and all they give me is pain medications. I can't function. I never know when it will happen.

Comment from: Mair, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had a D&C and NovaSure endometrial ablation a month ago. I was put to sleep during it, and woke feeling fine. I felt fine that day and the days after. In fact, I almost felt like nothing had been done. For the past five days, I have had my period which has consisted of a daily bleeding about the size of a quarter. The cramps and other period symptoms are the same as always, but the bleeding is so light I could use a liner only. Hoping this is how all my periods will be. What a relief!

Comment from: Naillady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had the endometrial ablation in April 2014. In office, I had worst pain during, worst pain after... wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Even with the pain pills it was still very crampy. Bleeding and discharge after that lasted about 2 weeks. End of May, I had only 1 day of blood then it stopped. Now we are in August 2014, about 4 months after, and I'm getting a wet discharge, severe bloating and lower back pain and ovary pain, but no blood. Cramping like I am getting a period but at least there's no blood. I'm going in for my second post-operative chat with gynecologist to see if this bloated, crampy pain is normal.

Comment from: R. Johnson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My obstetrician/gynecologist suggested endometrial ablation as a remedy to my heavy menstruation. The procedure helped for a couple of months and then the pain (severe cramps) and my cycle began to get heavier and heavier as each month passed. I even have my period several times a month now. And now he tells me that he can't do anything about the pain, which was not there prior to the procedure, only heavy menstrual cycles. Then he suggested a hysterectomy. My life has totally changed since this procedure.

Comment from: Fan fan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My periods were so heavy that my hemoglobin blood level was 6 (it should have been 14). I also had fibroids. I then decided to have the endometrial ablation surgery to stop the heavy bleeding since the fibroids didn't bother me. When I woke up, I was surprised that the surgery had already happened! They had to give me 2 blood transfusions, and the surgery went really well. I went back to work 2 days later. I had light spotting for 1 day but no periods yet since the surgery. I went back to having a normal life and have so much energy! Why didn't I do this before!

Comment from: 50 & fine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had my endometrial ablation and ligation in 2011. I had pain 10/10 off and on for 2-3 days post operation, but after that the pain continued to decrease until it was gone. Prior to my procedure I had uncontrollable bleeding and cramps that required Vicodin. Post procedure my periods were little to none and zero cramps (1st time ever). By 6 months I was no longer having periods at all. Fast forward to August 2014. I'm still not getting my period, but I am starting to have cramps once a month, and my menopausal signs and symptoms are increasing. At 51 years of age, I still think this procedure was the best thing I ever did! I can once again wear white without a single fear!

Comment from: fantasticlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had endometrial ablation three days ago. I have mild cramps, only use 800 mg Motrin. After surgery, I came home and slept a few hours. I went out later the same day. I have a very light flow. I'm hoping everything turns out ok. So far I'm satisfied, crossing my fingers.

Comment from: Zona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation done in 2008, in my doctor's office. I was awake through all, and with minimum medication I went through the procedure. Doctor didn't say anything, but talked to the nurse in whisper. Nurse left, came back with different machine, said first one didn't work. I went through procedure again, still no words. They stopped. I was feeling it all by then. Then doctor said I didn't have enough room for fan to slide down. Procedure that was to take minutes, took hours. I am worried that it could have damaged my insides.

Comment from: kcnotme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had NovaSure endometrial ablation on Monday, July 14th. I chose to do outpatient in hospital so I could have general anesthesia. I can honestly say it was about as easy as it gets. My procedure was at 8:15, I was driving home by 10:45. I had a couple of hours of stronger than normal menstrual cramps (but they were totally manageable). I took one of the hydrocodone which solved it. I did a few conference calls in the afternoon as well. Other than being tired the next day (from the anesthesia), I felt totally fine. Watery discharge picked up when I went back to working out on Wednesday, but still not a big deal. I can't tell you whether it will work or not, but I can tell you that my experience under general anesthesia was pretty easy.

Comment from: June, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had the endometrial ablation done 8 years ago, everything was great, no pain after surgery. No spotting, nothing until the past 4 months. The cramps and back pain are unbearable. I have an appointment with the obstetrician soon. The pain now is 10 times worse than when I did have a cycle.

Comment from: Mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had this endometrial ablation done on 17th June, 2014 and all went fine. Three weeks later I have heavy bleeding much worse than before the procedure, and cramping. I never suffered with cramps before, I just hope it gets better. I hope I made the right decision.

Comment from: Sukaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation under local anesthetic 1 month ago. I chatted to the nurse throughout the procedure. Some mild cramp like feeling felt briefly but hot pad provided by hospital brought immediate relief. I felt exhilarated after it and perhaps slept a bit more for the next 2 days. No worse than going to the dentist.

Comment from: losa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had the endometrial ablation in June last year. I never missed a period and rang the doctor's, and they told me that was normal and they would soon phase out. Well, that never happened; if anything 12 months later they are worse than ever. I am 52 and still have severe pain and bleeding, maybe it's time for a hysterectomy just to feel normal for once.

Comment from: sophie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had my endometrial ablation almost 5 years ago in 2009. I had very heavy periods and bleeding that went on for months, literally with no known cause. I had the procedure, and minimal pain after which there was normal recovery 1 to 2 days, maybe light pink discharge. I haven't had a period since in 5 years. Very Happy! No more hormonal mood swings, nothing. I have a great gynecologist, she did a great job explaining the procedure and risks, as well as the benefits. Glad I had it done.

Comment from: eveb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had the endometrial ablation procedure done on Thursday in the hospital with anesthesia. I spent Thursday night in bed and did need a Vicodin to get to sleep. By the next morning I felt great. I went out shopping and out to dinner with my family. I even went fishing on Saturday. I have minimal discharge if any. I am 43 years old, I had this done because of long heavy periods.

Comment from: happy75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had NovaSure ablation 11 days ago. Eighteen hours of cramps that didn"t stop on the day of the procedure. That eased up by day 2. I found that the more I did the more likely I was to have cramps. I was extremely fatigued for about 7 days. Right now I am experiencing discharge that is getting heaver by the day. I have also noticed some swelling, like water retention in my abdomen and feet and hands. So far I am pleased. I was warned of the side effects of the procedure by my doctor.

Comment from: Ms. T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had NovaSure procedure done in August 2011. I was in severe pain (fetal position pain) yesterday, awakened to use the bathroom at 3:37 a.m. As I got up to flush, the toilet was full of blood, I have not seen blood since 2011. Of course I panicked until I read all of the posts. I do not have any health insurance at this time, someone had mentioned that the pain is indescribable, it is very excruciating. I am 50 and if I knew that this was going to happen I would have passed up the procedure.

Comment from: chi town girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had endometrial ablation done about six years ago due to heavy menstrual cycle. Well, the bleeding is very light, some months I see nothing. But the cramping is unbearable. I"m taking Aleve as a daily routine. I don"t like that, I never liked taking medicines. Next step is to contact my doctor and she has got to do something besides prescribe a prescription. This is a bitter sweet thing. No more bleeding but I have excruciating pain.

Comment from: Twinks, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had the D&C and thermal uterine ablation 8 days ago. I had severe anemia, always hospitalized, blood transfusions and iron infusions. Horrible and long periods with orange size blood clots. Bleeding more days in the month than not. I tried many things to get this under control but nothing seemed to work. My doctor suggested this surgery and it sounded good. I did a little research and it seemed like a good choice not to have a period again or at least have one much lighter than my normal. (I only wish I would have found this site before I had it done). After the surgery in recovery I was in a lot of pain. The pain got worse so they had to give me 3 shots of morphine over a period of time before all pain went away. I left hospital a few hours after with very little to no pain. In these 8 days I started out with constant headaches but they lasted a few days. Lower stomach pain, back pain (mainly in the evening and night) happens just about daily. What"s weird is my stomach and vagina area feel like they are burning so I put an ice pack on my stomach for up to an hour and it usually helps a great deal. The intensity of the burning has gotten less but still burns. Ice pack does help. I have no bleeding, a little discharge on the day of surgery. I wore pants for the first time today and the pressure against my stomach was painful and I had little bit of spotting. I will stick with summer dresses for another week or so or until there is no pressure. Stomach is still swollen. Appetite has increased, I gained some weight. Taking it slow on returning to my normal activities. I want to allow my body recovery time before going back to gym, etc. I still get tired but not as often or as long. Overall it"s a good thing. I go back to the obstetrician in 8 more days for 2-week follow-up appointment.

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had a NovaSure endometrial ablation yesterday. I woke up feeling great, felt no pain. I was expecting to be bleeding lots and really had very minimal bleeding after the surgery and nothing since. I haven"t had to take anything for the pain and am feeling great today. Hope this lasts and it's the end of my long trial with my heavy periods, anemia, etc.

Comment from: 54 YO female, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an endometrial ablation 4 years ago and never had a single problem. The heavy periods stopped immediately, no spotting, nothing. I am thrilled with the results and wish I would have had it done sooner!

Comment from: POM2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a uterine ablation performed in late 2013 to control heavy bleeding due to fibroids. It took about 3 months for periods to cease. It was great for about a year. Now, heavy periods have returned and I am scheduled for a hysterectomy. For me, I"m glad that I had the endometrial ablation. My gynecologist informed me prior to the ablation that it might not be successful long term. Now, I know that hysterectomy is my best option.

Comment from: SM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I chose to have a D&C and an endometrial ablation 4 years ago due to heavy periods and polyps, and also because I felt I wasn"t ready to have a hysterectomy. Oh how I wish I had the hysterectomy! Now I have a constant watery discharge and the worst periods ever. I continue to have periods each month - they never stopped. During my monthly cycle the bleeding is not quite as heavy as before the ablation (which still means it"s heavier than normal), however... the back pain is disabling. My stomach is beyond bloated and hard to the touch, and it feels like I am actually giving birth when I have a bowel movement. Intercourse is extremely painful right before and right after my period, too. At this point, as per my obstetrician/gynecologist my only options are to live with it or go in for a hysterectomy. I"m hoping to have the hysterectomy this year.

Comment from: Distraught, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had my myomectomy and endometrial ablation in January 2014. It is now March. I finally stopped spotting, only to get what seems to me like the very kind of period I had the procedure to cure. I am having a lot of bleeding and some mild cramping which I hope doesn"t turn into something less bearable. My doctor advised that he wasn"t able to remove as much of my most problematic fibroid as planned. I hope I am not back at square 1. I am trying to be patient but I expected much better results and feel very disappointed.

Comment from: Beautiful, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I just got an endometrial ablation done two days ago and I'm in pain. So far no monthly yet.

Comment from: tracey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I had endometrial ablation done in December 2014. I had no problems at all, living life to the full again.

Comment from: FaithFull, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had the endometrial ablation 1 year 7 months ago and I am in horrible pain. My cramps feel as if I'm in labor to give birth to a demon. Pain pills only mask the problem and make me sleep, but once awake I'm crying to stop the pain. Do not get this surgery!

Comment from: jennyzp6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had the surgery endometrial hydro ablation three weeks ago and have not a single problem. Pressure free days after and no bleeding at all. I"m so grateful for this procedure and to not be bleeding like crazy.

Comment from: K10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Has anyone ever heard about uterine endometrial ablation potentially blocking the detection of cancer cells, later? I have heard this, but can"t seem to find any information. My doctor says not, another doctor says they have not been doing this procedure long enough to know for sure.

Comment from: deejohn64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had endometrial ablation in 1995 and have continual vaginal bacterial infections and yeast infections.

Comment from: Sugga Brown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I just had an endometrial ablation done on 4/18/14 and notice bleeding today. I thought the purpose of the surgery was to stop the periods. What have I done! I"m sick of bleeding, wondering as to why I had the surgery.

Comment from: alexandria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have read everywhere online that women who had NovaSure gained a ton of weight, I don't know if there are those out there who were the same as prior or lost any weight. I have heard nothing positive.

Comment from: Latasha77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had my endometrial ablation 5 years to the date. 11/2009. I have started back having cycles this month 11/19/2014.

Comment from: AC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had the endometrial ablation two weeks ago, I only had light spotting and very little cramping. My only question and concern is I still feel bloated; especially after I eat (even a small amount).

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter