Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: michele , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had an endometrial ablation done on 20th July 2017. Since then I have put on 20 lb. in weight, and feel all bloated, and not myself. The past 10 days I have had pain down my left leg and into my left groin> I had bleeding 21 days after the operation but nothing in the past 10 weeks.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had endometrial ablation done yesterday, I was not given any sedation at all and was advised to take pain killers an hour before. This was a very painful experience and was so poorly afterwards with really bad cramps. If anybody is going to go through this procedure I advise to go through a general anesthetic or make sure you have some sedation. The doctor said I didn't need it and I wouldn't like anyone to go through this pain as I did.

Comment from: JodiDVM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I had an endometrial ablation in March and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I had it done in the office under light sedation and it was uneventful. There was no pain during the procedure and the postoperative pain was minimal. Don't be dissuaded by negative reviews you might read, discuss your concerns with your obstetrician and keep your mind open. It resolved all my issues with chronic bleeding and I haven't had a period since. I am so pleased I decided to have this procedure done!

Comment from: bbrannon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I am 49 years old and was having very heavy periods. My doctor suggested the endometrial ablation since I wasn't ready for a hysterectomy. I had the procedure done May of 2016 and since then I constantly bleed which affects my daily life. Out of the 30 or 31 days a month I was bleeding or spotting about 15 to 20 days. I went back to the doctor a few months ago and have been placed on birth control to try to control the bleeding but for the last 7 weeks I have not stopped bleeding. I have another doctor's appointment next week to discuss removing the fibroids that I have or polyps that I may have that maybe causing my problems. I'm thinking that I probably should go ahead and have the hysterectomy. I don't want to keep having surgeries that are not going to help my problem. If I knew then what I know now I would have never had the endometrial ablation done. Waste of money and it made mine worse but it may work for other people.

Comment from: Neha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I am a 45 years old. I had my endometrial ablation done 6 days ago at the hospital with general anesthesia. I didn't feel any pain during the procedure and even after it. No cramps and no bleeding at all. This is my 6th day and I am still wondering if I really had it done; which is great. Only discomfort I had was constipation for two days due to anesthesia. I am having a very little discharge but don't even have to wear a pad. Some of these positive reviews helped me to get it done, that's why I am writing this review for those of you who are worried. I feel great so far. Good luck ladies!

Comment from: CMichele, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

My co-worker and I both underwent the NovaSure endometrial ablation procedure a little more than 5 years ago and it has been one of the best things I've ever done. Procedure was quick, recovery was a breeze. I had it done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. I've had no cramping, no periods, no spotting, no headaches, no bloating. It makes me wonder with all the bad reviews if some of these doctors performed the procedure correctly. My co-worker also has had no side effects and we went to different gynecologists. I hope the women who have been afflicted with side effects are soon relieved from them.

Comment from: momof2boys, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had an endometrial ablation, D and C, and tubal all done at the same time about 10 days ago. I had no pain and never took the pain medicines. I had clear discharge then my period started this morning. I really hope they eventually go away since my periods were never super heavy to begin with. I'm 36 and have 2 kids. I was told that having the tubal and ablation done at the same time was a smart decision. So far so good!

Comment from: cmas17, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had the Minerva endometrial ablation done yesterday. Though the numbing was extremely uncomfortable, it didn't take that long (a few minutes). The procedure itself again, while I cramped pretty good, only lasted 2 minutes. I lay down when I got home for a few hours and woke up with pretty bad menstrual-like cramps. I took one of the Vicodin pills they prescribed and it kicked in after about 20 minutes and I was able to fall back asleep. I slept through the night and woke up feeling fine this morning. No cramps. I didn't have any bleeding either, just a minimal watery and slightly pink discharge (not even enough to warrant a pad). I'm due to get my period in a couple of weeks and am hoping that I will be one of the lucky ones who never gets her period again (I know about 7 people who have had ablations and none of them has ever bled again). So far, so good!

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?